Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
So I think I'm figuring out the wattage and technique for different situations.

I wanted a nice long low temp light vapor cloud and put the wattage at 22 and pulled slow for a long time (figured out I can just let off the trigger for fraction of a second to reset the 10 sec timer on my mod) and got exactly what I wanted. Flavor was just amazing. Only packed in a tiny amount too.

Same bowl after a few light hits I wanted to see what happened on high wattage and a very fast pull. I threw it to 39 and pulled at probably 60% draw speed (much faster than my 10% or so on Milaana or Zion) and got just an absurd fucking cloud so fast. The less airflow really makes hard pulls doable for insane clouds. The flavor on that hit wasn't great but I think with a more full bowl and slightly different technique or wattage I can really nail the ultimate high temp high airflow combo for fat fast flavor clouds.

It's really growing on me.

2B4Jk.jpg

O7dppaX.jpg

2Don16s.jpg

2LvJFn5.jpg

0QYXxA2.jpg

Edited to add pictures. Also my Splinter smells exactly like my Walnut Vapman. Very pleasant.

I believe your mod is compatable with funkyjunkys my evic. Have you upgraded yet? Cruise mode is awesome.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I believe your mod is compatable with funkyjunkys my evic. Have you upgraded yet? Cruise mode is awesome.
This mod is a Jaybo.. no idea if it's upgradeable.

edit: ok so just tried through water again knowing how to combat the 10 second auto shutoff on my mod, and it's pretty gnarly. I did low temp at first and it held the flavor great. Only did 1 hit tho on that temp (25 w) bumped up to like 27-28 and did a slow pull and got a great hit. Tried another at 30 w and tried slow pulls, medium pulls, fast-ish pulls and the milks basically never changed. It was pretty great and easier to get a hang of than the Zion I think. Didn't get quite as even abv without stirring but was still pretty even, and very even with stirring .. and was my first sesh through water so still need practice. Will keep all updated! Those who've ordered I would be excited. Even if you're looking for just a home unit it's pretty fucking strong. And a lot of fun.

I did like 4 bowls yesterday and 7 today between friends and batteries were at 3.87. Not sure the cutoff but around 11 seshes so far isn't bad at all! Granted this mod has 3 batteries lol.

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Thought it was a wismec so maybe not

Edit: list below for those intetested

• Joyetech
    • eVic VTC Mini
    • eVic VTC Dual
    • eVic VTwo Mini
    • eVic VTwo
    • eVic AIO
    • eVic Basic
    • eGrip II / Light
    • Cuboid
    • Cuboid Mini
    • Cuboid 200
  • Wismec
    • Presa TC75W
    • Presa TC100W
    • Reuleaux RX75
    • Reuleaux RX200S
    • Reuleaux RX2/3
    • Reuleaux RXmini
    • Reuleaux RX300
  • Others
    • Vaponaute La Petite Box

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency

• Joyetech
    • eVic VTC Mini
    • eVic VTC Dual
    • eVic VTwo Mini
    • eVic VTwo
    • eVic AIO
    • eVic Basic
    • eGrip II / Light
    • Cuboid
    • Cuboid Mini
    • Cuboid 200
  • Wismec
    • Presa TC75W
    • Presa TC100W
    • Reuleaux RX75
    • Reuleaux RX200S
    • Reuleaux RX2/3
    • Reuleaux RXmini
    • Reuleaux RX300
  • Others
I really wanna find a nice TC mode mod, but the TC on this mod I have has "Temp Ti, Temp Ni, Temp SS, and Temp M1 M2 and M3." And when I select one, when I fire I get "over temp protection" message that pops up. Sometimes it'll flash between a temp and that message. Idk how to fix that ..?​

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Select SS or setup your M1 value. Then "protection" means it reached the set temperature, it's working as designed just hit it.

If you install myevic or tuboevic and setup PID mode you should just see the live temperature. In ArticFox you still get the silly "protection" message (but you can display the coil temp as a display line below)

Keep in mind that until recently (cf the VG / PG health concerns thread for more background) the e-cig guys used TC solely as a mean to avoid dry hits and wick burns. They couldn't care less about the vape temperature. Now they are slowly understanding why it's desirable to have this function precise and glitch-free, but most TC implementations including the stock joyetech/wismec/ileaf ones are super crude and just cut the power off and on abruptly (i.e. "protection")

We're really hijacking these devices for our own purpose, but they were not designed with our use-case in mind. This is why you should use a better firmware where the power is smoothly regulated down using a feedback loop and a proper control algo (provided your mod supports that of course, or just get a mod with good TC like DNA/YiHi/HohmTech/SmoAnt/OMNI)

AJS

Calm Consistency
Just tried to see if it was possible to get vapor by pulling nearly as hard as I possibly can without straining myself.
Well ... set it to like 38 watts, preheated for 4 seconds or so and ripped to my hearts desire. I couldn't go long before it was hot as fuck on my throat with that hard of a pull, but I fuckin blew out vapor.

I imagine with a high enough wattage and a big enough set of balls you could hook this to water and pull like you were going for the gold on the bong ripolympics and get a pretty crazy cloud. Despite the size of my balls, I may have to give this a try. Fire extinguishers will be on site.

Edit: tried this on 39 W through water with a fast pull and it started milking almost immediately. Kept flavor good and even abv without any charring.

Anyone know the max wattage you can run the Splinter?

Last edited:

rosedale

Select SS or setup your M1 value. Then "protection" means it reached the set temperature, it's working as designed just hit it.

If you install myevic or tuboevic and setup PID mode you should just see the live temperature. In ArticFox you still get the silly "protection" message (but you can display the coil temp as a display line below)

Keep in mind that until recently (cf the VG / PG health concerns thread for more background) the e-cig guys used TC solely as a mean to avoid dry hits and wick burns. They couldn't care less about the vape temperature. Now they are slowly understanding why it's desirable to have this function precise and glitch-free, but most TC implementations including the stock joyetech/wismec/ileaf ones are super crude and just cut the power off and on abruptly (i.e. "protection")

We're really hijacking these devices for our own purpose, but they were not designed with our use-case in mind. This is why you should use a better firmware where the power is smoothly regulated down using a feedback loop and a proper control algo (provided your mod supports that of course, or just get a mod with good TC like DNA/YiHi/HohmTech/SmoAnt/OMNI)

The TC mode on my Smok Alien has been working pretty well for me but to your point, it seems a little “crude.” It looks like you identified some good chipsets. I’m curious if there is a particular mod that stands out with the chipsets you listed or do you think they’re pretty similar?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The HohmTech one is supposed to be incredible, but last time I checked both products completely disappeared from their website, unsure what's going on here...

Then between DNA and YiHi, it depends on which fanboy you talk to haha! Both have religious followers. Both can be pricey though... If you like having options and gazillions of details to configure, the DNA escribe software will delight you.

The SmoAnt chipset is very basic, not much to configure but it appears to just work and the regulation is smooth (no hard cutoff) I never had weird issues or inconsistencies so far. Perhaps it's just masked and not displayed on screen, but it's never too hot or too cold. With my joyetech devices it's pretty obvious when it goes haywire, never had that with the Knight V2.

The OMNI chipset is found in Vaporesso devices. I intended to test it but my order got cancelled and I ordered the joyetech Primo Mini instead. I kind of regret it now, even if it's a nice little unit. Feels good in the hand, large screen... But it's still unclear what the exact problem is: the ADC or the 510 port or something in my attys... or all at once!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Just had a lovely high-ish temp sesh on 29 W. Recently I've been chillin 23-27 but I started this one from greens at 29 and got even abv and some intense rips. The heat can be a bit intense on the throat on the higher temps but is pretty smooth on the lower and middle temps. The vapor path is just very short. Despite being harsh on the throat overall the vapor is pretty smooth on the lungs.

Last edited:

sixstringsmash

The OMNI chipset is found in Vaporesso devices. I intended to test it but my order got cancelled and I ordered the joyetech Primo Mini instead. I kind of regret it now, even if it's a nice little unit. Feels good in the hand, large screen... But it's still unclear what the exact problem is: the ADC or the 510 port or something in my attys... or all at once!

The one really nice thing I like about the Omni 2.0 chip(need to be careful you get the Omni 2.0, as the Omni 1.0 is still present in a good amount of the cheaper vaporesso mods I think and not nearly as good as the newer iteration of the chip) is the CCW and CCT features. That is, being able to customize the temperature/wattage in half seconds intervals. Want a hot start to your hit and then have it cool down while you're still ripping? You can set the temperature to something hot like 550 degrees when you hit the button but after a second or two make the temperature go down to 4-450. You can also slowly ramp up the temperature if you so desire, starting low and making the hit nice and hot by the end of your draw.

jazzyvapeman

• Joyetech
    • eVic VTC Mini
    • eVic VTC Dual
    • eVic VTwo Mini
    • eVic VTwo
    • eVic AIO
    • eVic Basic
    • eGrip II / Light
    • Cuboid
    • Cuboid Mini
    • Cuboid 200
  • Wismec
    • Presa TC75W
    • Presa TC100W
    • Reuleaux RX75
    • Reuleaux RX200S
    • Reuleaux RX2/3
    • Reuleaux RXmini
    • Reuleaux RX300
  • Others

Are these all of the approved/recommended mods for use with Splinter? Sounds like I may be getting my order soon and I want to be ready! Thanks :)

jazzyvapeman,
Reactions: BigJr48

AJS

Calm Consistency
May have had one of my best seshes yet with this thing just now.

It's pretty early and I just wanted a nice long 20 minute sesh of enjoyable smooth flavorful vapor through the entire sesh. So I pack half a bowl and put my wattage at 23. My herb is so fluffy unfortunately that after a hit or 2 my herb shrinks to the size of like 1/5 of a bowl which makes it kinda more annoying to vape because there's a lotta loose herb not really held together. ANYWAY ...

Typically my form of convection vaping involved a higher temp for a shorter amount of time on draws. Just quick bursts of thick vapor. This time I did low temps with very long pulls and the vapor held through til the end of the draw making for very large low temp hits. The exhales still weren't big but sure could feel it. I bumped up to 23.5W and got a nice little boost to put me through to the end of the next stage of temp stepping. Went up by .5 until I ended at 25W. Never at any point did the herb get darker in any areas and never did it feel harsh in the slightest. Sometimes it felt like I wasn't even getting vapor. My herb ended a very light brown. I think I'm really going to love this thing for the lower end long draws. So nice.

sixstringsmash

Are these all of the approved/recommended mods for use with Splinter? Sounds like I may be getting my order soon and I want to be ready! Thanks :)

That's just a list of all the mods that will work with the funkyjunky firmware. It is in no way a recommendation list. I would actually go to the point where I would strongly suggest against buying anything made by wismec or joyetech(include Smok on that list too) as the quality of these devices is known to be quite horrid.

sixstringsmash,
Reactions: Hogni

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If one were to get on the Splinter list now, what is the selling price?

cybrguy,

hippogriff

Anyone got shipping yet?

Not yet, latest Instagram posts are linked on website, shows a first batch ready to pack yesterday.

If one were to get on the Splinter list now, what is the selling price?

Not posted yet, and last time it was we still didn’t know the configuration (like Milaana or Zion heater), original pre-order was $89 for $119 list price on Maple w Milaana heater, I think.

I don’t know what’ll show up for preorderer’s (mini-Zion heater for all is great), it’s fun that way.

hippogriff,
Reactions: Summer

hippogriff

It’s here! Grabbed the mail on the way out the door so won’t be able to post pics or fire up till later. But it’s here! A beautiful walnut unit, very happy. Feels small, really, but I imagine it’ll be big to some - 31mm x 56mm (1 1/4 x 2 1/4), yes I always have calipers w me.

Mods, is this officially released?

Edit:length measurement is top of glass to bottom of metal, excluding threads.

rosedale

It’s here! Grabbed the mail on the way out the door so won’t be able to post pics or fire up till later. But it’s here! A beautiful walnut unit, very happy. Feels small, really, but I imagine it’ll be big to some - 31mm x 56mm (1 1/4 x 2 1/4), yes I always have calipers w me.

Mods, is this officially released?

Edit:length measurement is top of glass to bottom of metal, excluding threads.

What was your pre order date?

...I guess I’m assuming that he will ship the earliest orders first which might or might not be an accurate assumption.

rosedale,

dog_leash

Pre ordered April 16th and it showed up tonight. Ran out to an ecig shop and picked up a mod and loaded it up when I got home.

Damn this thing rips. Smaller than expected. Started at 40 watts and got dark AVB and good vapor production with a full basket.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Just did another sesh and tried a different technique.
Most RBT products I tend to do lower temps and slow draw which makes for a nice thick medium temp rip because of how slow I pull. Whenever I try this with the Splinter it either hotspots or can't get as milky.

So...I experimented with a higher temp and faster draw. Put it to combustion temps (not instant combustion but definitely possible to combust) and pulled pretty firmly...about what you would for the GH. Got an intensely thick white cloud with more even abv. Still not perect but no fulblown hotspotting. I got the hit within like 7 seconds too....that faster draw REALLY makes that vapor production start quick.

I'm excited to see how everyone likes theirs! I'm really glad units are being sent out. Seemed to come pretty quick!

VJ03GOA.jpg

VKZxMn8.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom