Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Bah when they work, they are ok I guess... it's just that my expectations are higher now. I thought the constant head-banging shit I had with my evic VTC mini would be gone with the Primo mini but mine started acting up again the same way. I didn't use my eLeaf Pico much but I have the intuition it will be exactly the same.

Also keep in mind that the tubo firmware is developed for the tubo. I'm not sure for instance that the Splinter would support cruise mode (ie. running for several minutes in a row at the set temperature) Heat dissipation and thermal management ought to be different between these two devices.

Will the wood char or not with repeated back to back sessions? Someone would have to figure it out. I think that for instance it's a no go for the iHeat (at least in its full wood incarnation, for the glass core one it might be different)

But for a first mod, by all means buy a cheap Joyetech / Wismec / eLeaf one. If you like the whole experience you can update later on at any time.

SpudBob

I ran my splinter for 12 minutes straight on temp mode at 380F in cruise with my evic mini, just kept resetting cruise mode and popping in pre packed stems....

It can take it.
Cool to know! Did you do any firmware changes or was that with how it came stock?

SpudBob,
Reactions: Summer

Vape Dr.

I downloaded the tubo firmware onto my personal evic mini to give it temp control and cruise mode to see if the splinter could handle it and to push it to its limits.

After 12 minutes it started to get uncomfortably hot.

I am doing "abuse" testing on the splinter to see the weak points. It was ok up to 10 minutes then it got hot.

I shut it down after 12 minutes which is a ridiculously long time to have it on.

I am being as brutal and unkind to the splinter as possible.

I drop it, throw it against the wall, let it roll off the table on to the floor, basically treat it like crap.

I am doing this to find its weak points to fix anything that will make the production model a better vape and as durable as possible.

The only thing that will be changing from the beta to production model is the air ports will be in a different spot to give it a little bit more draw restriction.

Now the draw restriction it will have is barely noticeable and not overly restrictive at all.

If I didn't mention it you wouldn't even know.

The splinter is a rock solid beast.

Vape Dr.

@Vape Dr. How do you find it compared to the Milaana?

@oddjobold The splinter is very comparable to the milaana.

Zion gives you the most full bodies robust draws.

Milaana to me is like a quicker sharper draw.

The splinter is kinda right in the middle to me. The splinter can replicate the milaana when you get your temp set right and the draw to your liking.

You can almost duplicate the zion but nothing really gives you that full bodied hit of the zion.

The splinter is am amazing little unit. It is so versatile and can be adjusted easily to fit your vaping style.

It also works great on any mod box but it is super fun when used with the evic and tubo firmware with cruise. Especially through water!

hippogriff

Oh shiiiiiiiiiit, it’s happening! :rockon::rockon: Well, they aren’t in the mail yet, but likely first Splinters out this week, more preorders in December, and getting to wait list in January.

1st preorderer here, I’ll check in as soon as it arrives and we can move this thread out of Upcoming.

VAPEHUNTER

1st preorderer here, I’ll check in as soon as it arrives and we can move this thread out of Upcoming.

Hmmm. Just out of curiosity when did you pay for the 1st pre order?
I paid for mine June 13th and was wondering about how long I'll be waiting for my Splinter.

VAPEHUNTER,
Reactions: BigJr48

hippogriff

Hmmm. Just out of curiosity when did you pay for the 1st pre order?
I paid for mine June 13th and was wondering about how long I'll be waiting for my Splinter.
Had to check, it’s been awhile - March 30th, looks like.

I don’t know how many preorders there were, only that on instagram Ryan references a dozen this week, another two dozen in December, and wait list in January. Notifications have never been a regular thing here, I had an email conversation already going.

I think preorders across the crowd funded world have lost their luster, b/c rational thinking. But there are sweet spots - for me, I’ll preorder anything small and portable that RBT or Firewood makes, b/c they both (in fairly different ways) reliably make great vapes, and getting in early I get good pricing and the best chance of selling old versions while they still have value. The money I spent on a Grasshopper, plus a FW3 during one of the 6(7?) warranty returns :), has kept going through Milaana & FW4 & Splinter and will probably get me through Milaana 2...

AJS

Calm Consistency
Look what showed up today ladies n gents. So similar to the Zion except a bit less airflow which makes it much easier to use.
AoveCbM.jpg

JElsNmj.jpg

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Wow it's fat! No way there will ever be a SBS design mod big enough to support it.

Not stealth at all. I'm already getting way too much attention with my iHeat which is much slimmer. With something that big, I would spend my entire evenings when going out explaining to people what it is because they would ask me right away.

They already question why I have a wooden e-cig and why it's so big with the iHeat. It's a problem I don't have with the Project Pure SF, or at least much less often.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Wow it's fat! No way there will ever be a SBS design mod big enough to support it.

Not stealth at all. I'm already getting way too much attention with my iHeat which is much slimmer. With something that big, I would spend my entire evenings when going out explaining to people what it is because they would ask me right away.

They already question why I have a wooden e-cig and why it's so big with the iHeat. It's a problem I don't have with the Project Pure SF, or at least much less often.
Is the iheat 18 or 14? This is basically just 18mm glass with a little bit of wood around the edge.

AJS,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop

I would say this is less strange than smoking out of a wooden box, huffing on a lump of plastic with fins, or using a 3 torch flameflower on a crack pipe with a cap on the end.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Well, this is why torches are not an option for me. And I find the Crafty/Mighty ugly with their plastic fins (but at least with the Crafty or CFV/SwiftPro it's almost concealable when you palm it the right way with just the straw protruding from the top of your hand between thumb and index)

Wooden vapes like Firewood/Milaana/MVT always get me more attention than plastic ones that's for sure. Glass is ok too, but only when it's clean.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Well, this is why torches are not an option for me. And I find the Crafty/Mighty ugly with their plastic fins (but at least with the Crafty or CFV/SwiftPro it's almost concealable when you palm it the right way with just the straw protruding from the top of your hand between thumb and index)

Wooden vapes like Firewood/Milaana/MVT always get me more attention than plastic ones that's for sure. Glass is ok too, but only when it's clean.

I agree that splinter is not perfect. I think that using wood makes it thicker and less stealthy. However its the best we got at the moment. Divine tribe is more steathy but i dont think it will have the performance of a splinter.

BigJr48

Look what showed up today ladies n gents. So similar to the Zion except a bit less airflow which makes it much easier to use.
AoveCbM.jpg

JElsNmj.jpg

What mod you recommend is best for the Splinter? A temp or wattage?

BigJr48,

rosedale

AoveCbM.jpg

JElsNmj.jpg

Did you get an email that it was on the way or did it just show up? I am on the pre-order list and I have to be getting close.

rosedale,

AJS

Calm Consistency
What mod you recommend is best for the Splinter? A temp or wattage?
No idea. I know nothing of mods lol. I started a thread in ask FC and there's a few suggestions in there.

Did you get an email that it was on the way or did it just show up? I am on the pre-order list and I have to be getting close.
I think I'm technically beta testing. I think production units start pretty soon!
_______
Here's a short vid for you guys. Nothing special just a second use video to kinda feel out the unit. I'll get more but hope this is enough for now!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
No idea. I know nothing of mods lol. I started a thread in ask FC and there's a few suggestions in there.

I think I'm technically beta testing. I think production units start pretty soon!
_______
Here's a short vid for you guys. Nothing special just a second use video to kinda feel out the unit. I'll get more but hope this is enough for now!

Noice saw this on RBT's instagram earlier, thought the cloud shot skill looked familiar ;) and :lol: him holding a Milaana with the VF vapor cooler swimming in and out of the picture

I think you have the first production Splinter, and are verifying it is ready for prime time so pre orders can start shipping just like this. But I have been very wrong many times before

hippogriff

_______
Noice saw this on RBT's instagram earlier, thought the cloud shot skill looked familiar ;) and :lol: him holding a Milaana with the VF vapor cooler swimming in and out of the picture

I think you have the first production Splinter, and are verifying it is ready for prime time so pre orders can start shipping just like this. But I have been very wrong many times before
That was my read, too - that the first dozen go out soon if AJS is happy w his.

And let that video be a lesson to anybody worried about having the perfect mod settup - proof that you can practically pick up any mod, mash at the buttons like a baby t-rex, and come out just fine.

AJS

Calm Consistency
mash at the buttons like a baby t-rex, and come out just fine.
This shit had me laughing man. Too funny. Very true tho. No clue what I'm doing. Had to have my brother show me how to turn it on, how to change wattage. As you see I literally press the wrong button first rip lmao.

that the first dozen go out soon if AJS is happy w his.
Pretty happy with mine. Can't get Zion results yet but I have faith I'll be able to pull through. Haven't done nearly enough seshes.

By the way. Did 3 seshes yesterday. Went from 4.20 to 4.11. Do the math. Lotta fckin bowls.

SpudBob

That was my read, too - that the first dozen go out soon if AJS is happy w his.

And let that video be a lesson to anybody worried about having the perfect mod settup - proof that you can practically pick up any mod, mash at the buttons like a baby t-rex, and come out just fine.
Looks Great!

SpudBob,

AJS

Calm Consistency
So I think I'm figuring out the wattage and technique for different situations.

I wanted a nice long low temp light vapor cloud and put the wattage at 22 and pulled slow for a long time (figured out I can just let off the trigger for fraction of a second to reset the 10 sec timer on my mod) and got exactly what I wanted. Flavor was just amazing. Only packed in a tiny amount too.

Same bowl after a few light hits I wanted to see what happened on high wattage and a very fast pull. I threw it to 39 and pulled at probably 60% draw speed (much faster than my 10% or so on Milaana or Zion) and got just an absurd fucking cloud so fast. The less airflow really makes hard pulls doable for insane clouds. The flavor on that hit wasn't great but I think with a more full bowl and slightly different technique or wattage I can really nail the ultimate high temp high airflow combo for fat fast flavor clouds.

It's really growing on me.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Gwpaz
O7dppaX.jpg

2Don16s.jpg

2LvJFn5.jpg

0QYXxA2.jpg

Edited to add pictures. Also my Splinter smells exactly like my Walnut Vapman. Very pleasant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom