Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@noble_minded_thinker, so you have a 2 hole &, what, you're covering up 1 hole all the time?

As I said, Ryan demo'd both the 2 & 4 hole Splinters through water & there was a significant difference in the amount of vapor produced with the 4 hole. I'm assuming he used the Splinter at 50W which is what its upper limit is, or maybe because there is more airflow with 4 holes, he's using it at a higher wattage. Won't know until I can ask him. But I surely will. Through water I usually step-up using 36 - 40W.

b0

Cloudy...
Planetvape has shortes stems and WPA that will work amazingly well. I have both cause I bought them for my Mi but they where too far from the heater and I didn't enjoy them. They gonna be perfect for my splinter...

Yup guys I'm back! I know I said I was leaving this post, but had a chat finally with Ryan and decided to get one. He apologized for the lack of comunication and was a straight up guy. Much respect for him.

Snuzcruz

Really want to know the answer to this as well. I am a bit disappointed as I just ordered a splinter (over the stempod) based on a lot of good reviews. Now I realize RBT is making a new splinter which is probably the version I will get, that has many downsides. It has a weird proprietary 19/19 size that means pretty much every normal accessory you would find, that previously worked with splinter now will not work? Bummer. Does anyone know where I could get a WPA that fits the new version?

Still looking forward to it, but I really want to use this bad boy through water. Also hearing how virtually anything will fit in the stempod makes me a bit jealous hehe. Have a volcano and a mighty already, but looking to expand my collection.

Alright folks, just received the new splinter I ordered last Thursday. Shipping was quick - I ordered it on a whim (Ryan posted a flash sale for 25% off the splinter on IG so impulse bought for $99). It shipped on Saturday, and arrived today. So less than a week from time of order to splinter in hand (east coast USA for me). I ordered a Joyetech Cuboid Mini to go with it for $20 since it was recommended and works with the FJ tubo firmware.

Got the mod all configured, although I still don't understand many of the settings. Found some TCR profiles someone recommended in the thread and basically copied those. Did a burnoff at 70W of the splinter and it definitely released some nasty smelling fumes. Rinsed and wiped the glass mouthpiece with a qtip and it had some dark residue on it, probably lubricant particulate and dust from the glass cutting process. Either way, at that point I felt it was clean enough to let 'er rip and I had let it cool down from the burnoff process.

Packed a little stem using the vacuum method, doing a light pack, very small amount of ground flower. Put her in and hit the fire button twice on mod to send it into a 400F cruise for 45 seconds. Let it pre-heat for about 5 seconds then slowly started pulling -- after about 10 seconds of a slow draw I could really feel and taste a nice heavy cloud of vapor passing, rich with terpenes and flavor. Pulled until my lungs couldn't huff no mo, and then exhaled a really nice huge cloud of vapor. Very pleased with the quality and production of vapor. Did another hit and started getting the popcorn taste that let me know it was beat. AVB was a nice even light brown.

Very impressed with this vape, excited to play with it more. It compares very favorably to my Volcano and Mighty. The fact that it is on demand and so controllable in terms of the hit profile, I can honestly say I probably prefer it to the mighty in terms of handheld. Of course the volcano is an absolute reliable beast and great for huge and prolonged sessions of many people, but it doesn't rip as hard as this new splinter setup I feel.

Can't wait to get this thing running through water. Visually speaking, my splinter has the 2 air inlet holes and the triangle logo on bottom. Haven't measured the depth of the female joint yet, but I am guessing it is the new 19/19 based purely on eyeballing the length of the ground glass on the included mouthpiece. Still haven't seen anyone reply to earlier questions from myself and others on a sure fire source of glass adapters that will work with the new 19/19. I know one guy got 19/22s and ground them down himself (seems like a pain in the ass, hoping for a turnkey solution, but do have a dremel.....) Also the potential that some adapters listed as 19/22 might have a very slight taper or be on the shorter end and still work for the most part. Other folks have suggested pushing down on the screen inside the splinter and making room but that seems sketchy....

Overall, very, very favorable first impression. I really like the idea of supporting a small entrepreneur as well.

b0

Cloudy...
This will work:

http://www.planetvape.ca/pvfs-milaana-and-zion-mouthpieces.html

They used to have a WPA with a shorter male side as well, but can't find it in the shop anymore

Edit:

IMG_20180828_001016_HHT.jpg

In the middle a normal black Milaana stem

Last edited:

Highonu

Well finally got my order from Vapefiend. The extra stem is useless as it is the old model, not the new 19/19. It did say splinter / milaana, and I didn't read about the changes until after I ordered, bummer.

Another thing is the screens, they don't stick to the included stem. They fall out if I turn it facing down. And I ordered 2 extra packs of screens and they are all the basket model not the rimmed one. I will try to squeeze one in there some how. Hopefully I will have time to play around with it later tonight...

Edit: did get the screen in there, it just goes in deeper than I thought, not like the rimmed screens that stay at the edge

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
IMHO going from 2 -> 4 holes is a mistake. The vape is much easier to use with at least some draw resistance.
I couldn't disagree more. My biggest complaint, and the reason I eventually sold the original splinter, was the lack of airflow. Going from the Milaana to that was a horrible downgrade IMO. The additional holes really have me considering snagging one because otherwise I absolutely loved it.

Highonu

Vapefiend was great with the CS. Refunded my spare stem (that didn't fit) and responded really fast. 10/10 shout-out to Adam.

Had a test run, surely have to play with the wattage etc but got a good buzz going with a light pack. My vape journey has been mflb, vapman, ff2 and now the splinter. The learning curve on the Splinter feels like the easiest of my Vapes :cool:

TNT_error

Bought mine today ( Ryan shipped it hella fast!) as another bday gift lol. I keep using that excuse to buy shit this month. I'm stoked. I'm also a little confused on where to get 3rd party stems. I see pv, vf, what size am I looking for and is there somewhere domestic I can buy? Looking for wooden stems as well. Thanks

Edit: so anything that's 19/22 will fit like the stems on 420edc?

Last edited:

Snuzcruz

Bought mine today ( Ryan shipped it hella fast!) as another bday gift lol. I keep using that excuse to buy shit this month. I'm stoked. I'm also a little confused on where to get 3rd party stems. I see pv, vf, what size am I looking for and is there somewhere domestic I can buy? Looking for wooden stems as well. Thanks

Edit: so anything that's 19/22 will fit like the stems on 420edc?

Going through the same pain now. Your splinter will not fit with the 19/22 stems you see everywhere (and that previously worked with the old splinter). Ryan has (somewhat controversally) decided to go with a shorter non-standard length of 19MM for Splinters that have been made since July.

I am also domestic so been searching all over for accessories that might work without wasting my time or money. Here are some things I have found and am personally pursuing.

• Lamart Wooden Stems
    • http://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=303
    • These are supposedly compatible with the new 19/19 splinter
    • Nice look wooden stems and also are compatible with S&B dosing capsules which has me very intrigued for on the go vape streamlining
    • Ship from China and has goes out of stock regularly with a long wait time
    • I ordered several things from here and they should ship soon. I will report back on if these products will work with our splinters
  • 420EDC (https://www.420edc.com/accessories/glassware/milaana-cooling-mouthpiece/)
    • None of the stuff on this site will work with our new splinters. I also reached out via email to the site just to confirm that fact and ask if they had any idea when they would get compatible wares in. Never got an acknowledgement or response to my email, which I sent about 5 days back. That lack of responsiveness alone puts a ding on them in my book and makes me less likely to want to support them, although I have seen them recommended before, and I am sure they are a small and decent operation. Just personally, I am more likely to go with the shop with good communication all other things being equal.
    • They are domestic I believe which is a pro as far as cheap/quick shipping goes
  • Planet Vape (http://www.planetvape.ca/milaana-and-zion-glass-vortex-adapter.html)
    • Previous poster said their stuff would work fine with our new 19/19 splinters
    • However, they are out of stock on several of the items, and when I emailed them to ask when and if they would re-stock, they also didn't bother to acknowledge my inquiry.
    • Expensive shipping to US
  • VapeFiend UK (https://vapefiend.co.uk/collections...splinter-water-adaptor?variant=12584262041684)
    • These guys have a cooling stem and a GonG adapter that will fit the new 19/19 splinter
    • I emailed them to ask and confirm and they responded very promptly confirming that indeed the cooling stem and GonG water adapter will work fine with my new splinter, and to let them know if any other questions..... Out of all the sites I have been researching and emailing about this stuff, this is the only one that demonstrated good customer service 101 to me, and they also have the product I want
    • Downside is they have expensive shipping from UK compared to the domestic alternatives, but again, as far as I can tell they are literally the only outfit right now that has accessories that are 100% confirmed compatible out of the box with our new 19/19 splinters, and the only one that demonstrated good customer service off the bat
    • I am placing an order today to get all that stuff so I can get my water splinter rig rocking, will report back
  • RBT - He has the XLR8 cooling stem if you want a mouthpiece, but doesn't take care of our water adapter needs. Not to mention the XLR8 is out of stock for an indeterminate time, and Ryan is also notoriously bad at responding to emails if you bother to ask
Big write-up above I know, but I have been very frustrated trying to get to the bottom of this so figured I would write the post I needed a few days ago. If anyone else has alternative sources for accessories for 19/19 please chime in and I will update post above.

Snuzcruz

Yeah I ordered the lamart stem for my StemPod so I hope it fits the splinter. So the stems that fit for sure is the stems Ryan has? Seems like vf is the way to go. Hope something comes up domestically .

That is correct. I just ordered from Vape Fiend. It sucks paying 21 bucks to ship some small glass pieces, but it is what it is... Another option is you can buy the 19/22 stems and grind them down a few MM in length yourself using a dremel or something like that. Obviously that is a pain in the ass and has its own downsides, but it would save you some dough and time if you are up for it. I really don't feel like fucking around with that approach, although it might come to that in the end.

Snuzcruz

@Snuzcruz yeah my total from lamart was $48 for 2 stems. Yeah I feel you. I'm not that savvy. I'm sure something will pop up sooner or later

How does your stempod compare with the splinter? I was in between those two and ended up sealing the deal on the splinter on impulse, but was really leaning towards the stempod for a lot of reasons (modular, super universally compatible with accessories, built like a tank, very responsive creator/inventor). In all likelihood I will grab one of those also because I am really feeling these 510 vape mods.

TNT_error

Well I haven't received my splinter yet so I can't say anything about that, but as for the sp, I really like it and have been using it exclusively since I got it, and it put a couple vapes on the bench lol. It's as you stated. It's very easy to use and being able to create your personal "heater" from the rebuildable deck and custom TC/tcr modes makes it a pleasure to use .The thing some people get confused about is which firmware to use and just basically how to use a mod, but once you get it down it's crazy efficient and flavorful. It's indestructible that's for sure lol, and it comes with a wooden stashpod to keep everything tidy which keeps the vape OCD happy. For me it's a winner.

Edit: 510 mods are the way to go! Still love the wooden unregulated stuff too!

HerbieVonVapster

Been running my splinter this last week on my DNA250c so updated the FCSHARE file added files for settings the Splinter and DNA250c/DNA75c. I also updated the DNA files for older DNA chips.

Got a pleasant surprise and received my Milaana back with new blue glass. It's 19/22 so super happy with it.

Seems like should be some way to get stems for the new splinters. The ones linked here looks like sits a bit of a distance from heater. Wonder how well they will work? I wish Ryan could find a good source and offer some up for sale.

This will work:

They used to have a WPA with a shorter male side as well, but can't find it in the shop anymore

This will work:

Edit:

IMG_20180828_001016_HHT.jpg

In the middle a normal black Milaana stem

Well I haven't received my splinter yet so I can't say anything about that, but as for the sp, I really like it and have been using it exclusively since I got it, and it put a couple vapes on the bench lol. It's as you stated. It's very easy to use and being able to create your personal "heater" from the rebuildable deck and custom TC/tcr modes makes it a pleasure to use .The thing some people get confused about is which firmware to use and just basically how to use a mod, but once you get it down it's crazy efficient and flavorful. It's indestructible that's for sure lol, and it comes with a wooden stashpod to keep everything tidy which keeps the vape OCD happy. For me it's a winner.

Edit: 510 mods are the way to go! Still love the wooden unregulated stuff too!

I really been enjoying the stempod too. It's on a small wismec sinuous p80 small and slips in pocket. I prefer A DNA device , except for with the stempod since it's my travel vaporizer.
Really enjoying how the sur_evic firmware on the p80 allows cruise. The mods side panel firing allows to hold mod lower more stealth. Plus the led side light really helps. It's a nice visual guild on if cruise is still active.

For travel it's a really sturdy setup. Have hand problems so I rather drop a stempod and be out 25-30 bucks if mod breaks. Since Stempod would survive a fall I feel.
Than drop my splinter on a DNA250c mod break both and be out $100's.
So my splinter stays at home. The stempod is my beater vaporizer for when I'm on the go.

HerbieVonVapster

@HerbieVonVapster how is the splinter in TC modes? Is it recommended to use just watts with the splinter?

I never use the splinter in wattage mode. With milaanas, lil bud and nomad filling those spots the splinter is used 100% of time as a regulated device.

The splinter works great in TC mode. It's just recommend for power since Ryan doesn't offer support for TC. I don't blame him the mod worlds a mess and he would drive himself crazy trying to answer mod question all day:)

There no real standard for mods every manufacture writes there own firmware. Plus you have after market firmware. Even TCR values and setting don't transfer well between device. It can be a real mindfuck when working with muti mods and there settings.

The splinter on a DNA mod or really any quality mod makes a hard to beat combo. The ABV is perfect and extraction is top notch. I haven't even touched vapes like the Mighty since I got this combo. I prefer it over most of my collection. It and iheat are in a struggle for the top dog spot around here.

What TCR are you using for the splinter guys?

Sorry I don't use TCR settings. I use TRF for my 510 coil device's. I feel it's a better way to plot the resistance changes.

Heard so many different TCR values for 316 tossed around.
This closest I found are these.
SS316L: "0088" [0.000879] (According to Steam-Engine)
SS316L: "0092" [0.00092] (According to @DJLsbVapes and other various sources)

SS316: "0088" [0.00088] (According to Steam-Engine.org)
SS316: "0092" [0.000915] (According to @DJLsbVapes and other various sources)

Except there too low value for most mods to work it seems. I hear people toss out so many different TCR values not really sure I can answer the whole TCR question. Maybe start a 150 and adjust by 5 up or down as needed. Go higher for hotter lower colder? IDK

Hopefully others that use TCR can explain help you better than me. Or you can try using TRF instead if mod supports it.

The profiles in the different DNA files work well for the splinter. The stempodAF file is for arctic fox and has a splinter profile in it also.

https://forum.evolvapor.com/files/file/567-fcshare/

TNT_error

I'm glad I switched to ecigs the same time as combusting so finally that knowledge can be put to use haha. I'll definitely try that. So the splinters heater is ss?

TNT_error,
Reactions: Summer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom