Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I ran the thermal analyzer on my hcigar vt75d and it seems to be working a lot better now with my splinter v2

its been a long month or 2 and a lot of vaped bud but i think i finally have this thing down. Getting great flavor and no more hot spots.

Thanks @HerbieVonVapster and @Shit Snacks for all your input and help. And anyone else that reached out to help me

sickmanfraud

I ran the thermal analyzer on my hcigar vt75d and it seems to be working a lot better now with my splinter v2

its been a long month or 2 and a lot of vaped bud but i think i finally have this thing down. Getting great flavor and no more hot spots.

Thanks @HerbieVonVapster and @Shit Snacks for all your input and help. And anyone else that reached out to help me

Are you saying that running the thermal analyzer makes that much difference? Is this possible from mod or only with Escribe?

BTW, anyone still mod shopping?:

I just found these deals on Aliexpress: VT75D (2 battery mod) for $64.99

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...708.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.399a4c4drdzhCv

And the VT75C which takes one battery: $62

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...599.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.399a4c4drdzhCv

I do not really know which countries this will work for and who is willing to wait for the shipping.

All in all very good deals.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Are you saying that running the thermal analyzer makes that much difference? Is this possible from mod or only with Escribe?

BTW, anyone still mod shopping?:

I just found these deals on Aliexpress: VT75D (2 battery mod) for $64.99

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...708.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.399a4c4drdzhCv

And the VT75C which takes one battery: $62

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...599.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.399a4c4drdzhCv

I do not really know which countries this will work for and who is willing to wait for the shipping.

All in all very good deals.

Yesterday before running the thermal analyzer I was using my mod at 365 degrees and 35 watts. I would have to preheat for a good 10 seconds then hit it 2-3 times before seeing vapor. If i went higher with the temp i would lose flavor, get hot spots if i didnt rotate after every hit and still have to preheat. Also either way, After a few hits the mod and the splinter would be noticeably hot to the touch. Not burning hot but really warm.

After running the thermal anlayzer Im preheating for 5 seconds and getting vapor and great flavor on my initial hit. No hot spots from start to finish.

The only other thing i noticed is somehow the cut off time on my mod got changed to 10 seconds a week or so ago when i reset my mod and started over. Im sure that was contributing to some of the issue i was having but It was set at 20 seconds prior to this and i was still having issues.

My batteries were around 63% charged it took about an 1:30-2 hours to run the thermal analyzer. Dont know much about it i used escribe not sure if theres ones for other mods

I grabbed the hcigar vt75d from a different site came from china had it in a week

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Yesterday before running the thermal analyzer I was using my mod at 365 degrees and 35 watts. I would have to preheat for a good 10 seconds then hit it 2-3 times before seeing vapor. If i went higher with the temp i would lose flavor, get hot spots if i didnt rotate after every hit and still have to preheat. Also either way, After a few hits the mod and the splinter would be noticeably hot to the touch. Not burning hot but really warm.

After running the thermal anlayzer Im preheating for 5 seconds and getting vapor and great flavor on my initial hit. No hot spots from start to finish.

The only other thing i noticed is somehow the cut off time on my mod got changed to 10 seconds a week or so ago when i reset my mod and started over. Im sure that was contributing to some of the issue i was having but It was set at 20 seconds prior to this and i was still having issues.

My batteries were around 63% charged it took about an 1:30-2 hours to run the thermal analyzer. Dont know much about it i used escribe not sure if theres ones for other mods

I grabbed the hcigar vt75d from a different site came from china had it in a week

When I see someone who's not getting the same level of performance that I know a device is capable of. It makes me want to be able to help them achieve the same. I'm super glad to hear it's now working for you, and you're enjoying the splinter even more:) Was a bit of a bumpy road, but now that you're cruising along enjoying it glad to hear the end results.

The FCSHARE file have the case thermal run for the devices there based on. Seeing the results @Mynameismud achieved running it on the Hcigar VT75c. I'm going add a note the instruction to run the case analyzer on other mod brands. The test is easy to run and worth the time and effort.

@Mynameismud if you like to have a longer puff time go into escribe. In it there 2 adjustments for maxs puff time. One is under safety the second is under mod safety tab. You can increase the puff limit time up to 20 seconds. If you don't see these setting make sure escribe is in manufacture mode.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Does running the analyzer actually make changes to the setting or just give you the statistics of your device? I love my Splinters, but I too feel they should respond faster with vapor and I would really like to improve their speed in producing it.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Opps you are correct so use to seeing these mods end with 250c and 75c my mind had entered the wrong model number for @Mynameismud mod.

I have the hcigar VT75 Nano now that I ordered before we learned it was sometimes poorly assembled and not built to last. Any plans to create a DNA75 profile for the Splinter or Splinter Z? As a single cell mod I doubt I'll ever feel compelled to put the Z on it but it's a tidy little size for the V1.

Does running the analyzer actually make changes to the setting or just give you the statistics of your device? I love my Splinters, but I too feel they should respond faster with vapor and I would really like to improve their speed in producing it.
No shit? I've only been giving mine a four or second 40W heat soak once or twice for my V1 and Z and I don't feel like they are ready by the first or second hit. I guess I'd concede that they both do even better once they're really warmed up.

I do think we invite a bit slower warm up with the DNAc mods. It might only be because I keep the resistance on the higher side of normal but my rxg3d is more willing and able to provide those serious hits where the abv is super dark like almost scorched half of it. That's a hit for someone in a hurry.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

I have the hcigar VT75 Nano now that I ordered before we learned it was sometimes poorly assembled and not built to last. Any plans to create a DNA75 profile for the Splinter or Splinter Z? As a single cell mod I doubt I'll ever feel compelled to put the Z on it but it's a tidy little size for the V1.

I can toss one together for you if needed (just PM me) but without a mod for testing I suggest doing it this way.

If you like the theme in FCSHARE version or just want try it download the DNA250c file. Open it in escribe without it connected to the DNA75. Save the theme.

Restart escribe then plug in the DNA75. The FCSHARE profiles for the DNA250 should work with the DNA75 so load the profile you want to use and the theme. Under the mod safety tab you can increase puffs to 20 seconds (make sure you are in manufacture mode)

Here's where gets a little more difficult. The stock elvov mod resistance is 0 looking at the DNA75 stock settings. I suggest double check online to see if there better info on the Nano mod resistance or if Hcigar stock settings already have the correct value entered for you. Being a older DNA you can also buy a copper plug to test it yourself. In post below is some info if you go that route or possible settings to try.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...vaping/threads/dna75-calibration-tool.122112/

Now's comes the hard part...since you haven't used the mod it should be at room temperature. The next steps is up to you. You can try out the mod now or knockout the case thermal analyzer.
It takes a couple hours to run test so keep that in mind. If you decide to use it first. It best to let the mod completely cool before running the case analyzer test. I let my mods sit overnight (unconnected to the charger) before running this test on them.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I can toss one together for you if needed (just PM me) but without a mod for testing I suggest doing it this way.

If you like the theme in FCSHARE version or just want try it download the DNA250c file. Open it in escribe without it connected to the DNA75. Save the theme.

Restart escribe then plug in the DNA75. The FCSHARE profiles for the DNA250 should work with the DNA75 so load the profile you want to use and the theme. Under the mod safety tab you can increase puffs to 20 seconds (make sure you are in manufacture mode)

Here's where gets a little more difficult. The stock elvov mod resistance is 0 looking at the DNA75 stock settings. I suggest double check online to see if there better info on the Nano mod resistance or if Hcigar stock settings already have the correct value entered for you. Being a older DNA you can also buy a copper plug to test it yourself. In post below is some info if you go that route or possible settings to try.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...vaping/threads/dna75-calibration-tool.122112/

Now's comes the hard part...since you haven't used the mod it should be at room temperature. The next steps is up to you. You can try out the mod now or knockout the case thermal analyzer.
It takes a couple hours to run test so keep that in mind. If you decide to use it first. It best to let the mod completely cool before running the case analyzer test. I let my mods sit overnight (unconnected to the charger) before running this test on them.
Maybe I can send you mine. I read all those detailed instructions and had to sit down for a minute. Very kind of you to map it out.

I tried the DNA250 profile tonight and wasn't getting much. The battery might have been low and is on the external charger now.

Apologies for even pulling the trigger on this old mod. I'd been looking for a deal/used Mirage to have a smaller setup and settled on this one just for the size when I saw the deal.

Last edited:

Plutonic

Greetings! I've lurked for a while on this thread and have learned a huge amount, and of course I caught a case of VAS, so now my goto vape is a Splinter v1/250C (Paranormal) combo. Thank you! I love this vape!

Anyway, I noticed something about my escribe settings I wanted to share and ask about.

I've been using @HerbieVonVapster's excellent FCSHARE TC settings for the Splinter, but until recently I was using them with a custom "Splinter" material I had set to the TCR value I had seen most commonly mentioned for the Splinter, which is 185. (You can set a material's TCR value by selecting the material (e.g., "Splinter") in the "on Device" window on the Materials tab, then clicking on the Action button in the lower right and changing the Temperature Coefficient of Resistance -- the decimal needs to be left-shifted 5 places, so 185 should be entered as .00185.)

The settings were working great at my usual vape temp of 370F, but a few days ago I upgraded my settings by installing the latest DNA250c.ecig file and SplinterDNAc.ecigprofile file from FCSHARE. I immediately noticed that I no longer got any vapor at 370, and in fact I had to crank it up to about 430F to see anything. In reviewing the new settings I noticed the Splinter TCR was set to .006. I reset it to .00185 and the effect was immediate: I combusted at 430F, and had to drop the temp back down to 370F to get what I wanted.

Could variation in escribe TCR settings explain part of the inconsistent results some people are getting when using TC mode?

Last edited:

Plutonic

Followup to the above, about escribe TCR settings.

I just got a v2 in the mail from VGoodiez, and of course I had to immediately slap it on the Paranormal and do a burn-in. I didn't change any settings, except that I told the Paranormal it was a new coil (and indeed the v2 measures at .253 ohms vs. .213 for the v1). I temporarily switched to a wattage profile to do the burn-in, then switched back to my Splinter TC profile (#4 in @HerbieVonVapster's set of dry vape profiles). For the heckuvit I then checked the Splinter material TCR setting, and it had defaulted back to .006!

Conclusion: Not only does the escribe material TCR setting matter (see above post), but the setting is not entirely sticky, and can change when you might not expect it. (Possibly an escribe bug but what do I know.)

Last edited:

Easywider

Simple is the way
@Plutonic its not that it changes you TCR value on you it's that escribe defaults to 0.006 whenever you hit the edit button for the tcr settings. I think it's a bug in escribe, I read up on it once as it was making me batty but I can't find the info anymore.

HerbieVonVapster

Easywider is correct escribe default is .006 I don't know why defaults to around nickels TCR on it's first use. After you set a value the next time you open it will defaults to last value entered.

Most of issue tend to stem from incorrect cold OHM's. The FCSHARE files should have forced you to remeasure coil.
The first time you switch to or install profile it ask to remeasure coil. If you are using devices you either need to let it cool manually enter the correct cold ohms.

Cold OHM make a huge difference in the outcome below is from this link . I feel the info in it maybe of help so also including it.

https://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/

It is extremely important that when you attach an atty to your mod that the atty is cooled down to the current ambient temperature. Just to give you an indication of the sensitivity we are talking about, consider the following example. You have an SS coil installed, with a resistance of 0.5 Ohm, at the current ambient temperature of 28 °C (your mod will most likely assume it at 20 °C, but the 8 ° difference won’t hurt us much). You take a toot or two on it - and the coil temperature jumps to 240 °C, with a resistance of 0.68 Ohm. If you remove and reconnect your atty (and stating that it is a ‘new coil’ - more on this in the next paragraph), your mod will think the base resistance is 0.68 Ohm at 20 °C. If you hit it now, it will go up to what the mod thinks is 220 °C, but the resistance will be 0.86 Ohm, which in reality will be ~400 °C. In other words, you will get one hell of a dry hit, and most likely some fire from the atty as well. This is a drastic example, but take my word that even a change of 0.05 Ohm of the base resistance can lead to very large (40 to 100 °C) changes in the measured temperature in comparison to the actual temperature. This will either lead to a dry hit when the mod thinks it is still safe, or practically no vapour at all.

Plutonic

Thank you @Easywider and @HerbieVonVapster for your informative replies! Good to know that there's some method to escribe's madness in defaulting to nickel's TCR on first use.

That's a tremendously useful guide to temp control that you linked to, @HerbieVonVapster. If I'm reading it right, the relationship between coil resistance (ohms) and the temperature the mod guesses your coil is at is calculated linearly, so you'd need both an accurate estimate of baseline resistance (cold ohms, kinda like the y-intercept in the equation for a line) and an accurate estimate of the line's slope ((change in temp)/(change in ohms), which is the TCR) to get an accurate estimate of current temperature. It could very well be that most issues stem from incorrect cold ohms measurement as you suggest, but at least in my case, my Splinters were already at room temp when I connected and measured them, so the only thing I changed was the TCR, which clearly had a big effect on the accuracy of the temp reading when I got to vaping temp.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Thank you @Easywider and @HerbieVonVapster for your informative replies! Good to know that there's some method to escribe's madness in defaulting to nickel's TCR on first use.

That's a tremendously useful guide to temp control that you linked to, @HerbieVonVapster. If I'm reading it right, the relationship between coil resistance (ohms) and the temperature the mod guesses your coil is at is calculated linearly, so it seems like you would need both an accurate estimate of baseline resistance (cold ohms, kinda like the y-intercept in the equation for a line) and an accurate estimate of the line's slope ((change in temp)/(change in ohms), which is the TCR) to get an accurate estimate of current temperature. It could very well be that most issues stem from incorrect cold ohms measurement as you suggest, but at least in my case, my Splinters were already at room temp when I connected and measured them, so the only thing I changed was the TCR, which clearly had a big effect on the accuracy of the temp reading by the time I got up to vaping temp.

Np have start with the basic and was concerned with possibility that cold OHMS got entered incorrectly. Sounds like this isn't issue you are experiencing. I recently changed that material file for service pack 38 in the DNA250c. Can you check what service pack you have installed? The older service pack material file was set much higher value so would like rule that out as a reason

HerbieVonVapster,
Reactions: YaMon

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
It makes changes. I dont have escribe in front of me so im not exactly sure what changed but it had something to do with heat up times and cool down times. One of the values dropped from 500 seconds to almost half. I have no clue what this means or did but my splinter is working amazingly now. For almost a solid week now im getting instant vapor and amazing flavor from my first hit to the last with no hotspots. Using it around 360-375F and 35 watts with an initial 2-3 second preheat just until i see the wattage drop to single digits.

I also changed my TCR(i think) to 0.009 which @HerbieVonVapster recommended for the Hcigar vt75d

Mynameismud,
Reactions: cybrguy

Plutonic

Can you check what service pack you have installed?

I have service pack 38, so I think I'm good, right? And if I understood what you said above, I think my only problem was that my TCR value was reset to .006 when I loaded your new settings. Now that I've set the TCR back to .00185, your settings and the Splinter are working perfectly!

Can I ask about what @Mynameismud said immediately above, regarding your recommended TCR setting of .009? Why is there such a broad range of TCR values suggested in this thread do you think? For example, I got my current value of 185/.00185 from here and here, which is close to the TCR of an SS410 coil (based on the list here). .009, on the other hand, is above even the TCR of Ni200. Is there that much uncertainty about the Splinter's thermal properties? Or maybe your recommendation is actually .0009, which is close to the TCR of SS316?

BTW, I just noticed another wacky thing about escribe's TCR settings: Once I set a TCR value for one material in the "Materials on Device" box under the Materials tab, all the other materials on the device come up as having the same TCR setting! WTF?

Last edited:
Plutonic,

Easywider

Simple is the way

Plutonic

This isn’t TCR value. This is the internal resistance value of the mod itself. I believe the vt75d comes set @ 0.004 when it should be 0.009

Ah, gotcha, that makes more sense, thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the TCR setting?

Plutonic,

Easywider

Simple is the way
Ah, gotcha, that makes more sense, thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the TCR setting?

I haven't really used custom TCR settings for my splinters with DNA mods. I use the material files from FCSHARE and just tweak my atomizer resistance up or down to fine tune the heat to my preference. I do have an OG splinter on an evic mini running tubo fw @ 175 TCR and before that it was on a Smoant cylon @ 185. I've seen people reference anywhere between 120 - 185. I like mine to run hot if that's any point of reference.

Easywider,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom