Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Those of you with XL8R and XL8R Jr (current iteration is the king kooling kit), which one do you prefer? Full stem or jr? Is there a reason to have both? I never take my splinter out (and only foresee myself doing so on trips) and mostly vape on my back porch.

If you are not going to use it out & about, then go with the full size XL8r. The extra length makes a noticeable cooling difference. And if you can swing it, get the RBT custom version ($49) as the extra thick glass is so worth it imo. And if you want an extra long version, go with the drydrotube. I don't have the drydro yet, but based on the sterling functioning of the XL8r long stem, it's gonna rock.

Someone needs to start making smoked glass cooling mouthpieces.

Agreed, both the XL8rs & drydrotubes both need to be make in graphic color. :drool:[/QUOTE]

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
How does the V1 compare to the Z or the original Splinter? (I definitely like the size of it in comparison to the Z! Much closer to the StemPod in size :) )

Z, then V1, then og Splinter. All three work really well enough. The finishing on the bubinga V1 is better than my walnut og and the V1 heats more evenly with fewer hot spots and a bit less need for stirring.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
And if you want an extra long version, go with the drydrotube.

The drydrotube is also a fair amount wider, overall more volume for more cooling (and it is the only one with the square fins right now, though the xl8rs will eventually have them too). Finally it is a female connection so you need a male to male adapter with it, but it is very versatile with other vapes and glass. Would be dope in color!

How does the V1 compare to the Z or the original Splinter? (I definitely like the size of it in comparison to the Z! Much closer to the StemPod in size :) )

I have V2 and the Z, still early, but they are both no slouch. Definitely different though subtly so, Z can pump it out thicker perhaps with its larger mass... It is much larger though and the V2 is tiny! My Z has mica insulators but the new V1Z will have ceramic like my V2 (regular V1 has mica and is only in limited quantities I believe since V2 replaces it)

Should clarify my Z is only in power mode on RXG3D while V2 is on the RXdna250 in temp control (via @HerbieVonVapster's Z profile). Speaking of, watts max in tc were set to 60, but I made it 42 I think. So after each hit the bottom shows the temp and wattage (what it was?) which is always lower. Temp by ~10degreesF typically and wattage is always just like a 24-27 range, not sure if it ever climbs to 30 or above during my hits, but doesn't seem to struggle to maintain temp or anything even for a heavy draw... I know we need a proper profile for the V2 now, but wondering if this is normal. I will say the Z at 43watts is more beastly feeling than V2 at 443F and the avb seems to support that. Still well extracted with strong effects and nice flavors though

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@Shit Snacks, put the Z on the DNA man!

What made you change the top watts for the DNA ecigprofile? I assumed the initial sixty was just to help it preheat faster since it only works as hard as it has to to maintain a given temp.

I've spent more time with both my Z and my V1 on the DNA250 and I'm gonna press pause on my RBT shopping until the Paranormal arrives. Two dna mods and two Splinters sounds like a legit home court advantage.

HerbieVonVapster

Should clarify my Z is only in power mode on RXG3D while V2 is on the RXdna250 in temp control (via @HerbieVonVapster's Z profile). Speaking of, watts max in tc were set to 60, but I made it 42 I think. So after each hit the bottom shows the temp and wattage (what it was?) which is always lower. Temp by ~10degreesF typically and wattage is always just like a 24-27 range, not sure if it ever climbs to 30 or above during my hits, but doesn't seem to struggle to maintain temp or anything even for a heavy draw... I know we need a proper profile for the V2 now, but wondering if this is normal. I will say the Z at 43watts is more beastly feeling than V2 at 443F and the avb seems to support that. Still well extracted with strong effects and nice flavors though

On the 60 watts thats where I max wattage on on my hardest draw. Rarely if every does it need that much power but its there for the people that use thru water or take huge rips. The wattage range is your average watt used over the whole draw cycle.

What i would suggest is hook it up to device monitor and take your biggest hit possible. Then set max watt using that number you maxed at.

eideal852

On the 60 watts thats where I max wattage on on my hardest draw. Rarely if every does it need that much power but its there for the people that use thru water or take huge rips. The wattage range is your average watt used over the whole draw cycle.

What i would suggest is hook it up to device monitor and take your biggest hit possible. Then set max watt using that number you maxed at.

NOt firmwared yet, and I'll have questions then too (device monitor??) but by biggest hit possible do you mean long? hard? fast? (settle down boys...)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Shit Snacks, put the Z on the DNA man!

What made you change the top watts for the DNA ecigprofile? I assumed the initial sixty was just to help it preheat faster since it only works as hard as it has to to maintain a given temp.

I've spent more time with both my Z and my V1 on the DNA250 and I'm gonna press pause on my RBT shopping until the Paranormal arrives. Two dna mods and two Splinters sounds like a legit home court advantage.

Eh I didn't want to risk the 510 connections, and Z feels too big for the 3batt RX maybe... V2 would be sleek on the G3D though, still hoping they re release that with a DNA some day...

I changed it since 60watts was for the Z profile, and figured the V2 shouldnt go that high ideally? No need to be that high, 45max is fine and I wouldn't ever go above 50 or 55 in wattage mode

is that in escribe? Use while connected? So what its showing me on screen 24watts is meaningless? I wish it was more like Tubo software ah the trade offs

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Anybody tried a Wismec V80 with their Splinter? The deal from @Monkeyhouse above doesn't work on the P80 but the V80 looks like a good size and shape for a single cell mod if wattage works as well as it does on my rxg3d. For those keeping score your choices are V80 for $29, rxg3d for $38, and bronze dna250 for $66. The DNA is the stand out value but I already have one.

entirely_foreign

Using a DNA mod + a splinter, has anybody measured the chamber temp while drawing? I'm curious how accurate the temp control on a DNA mod is.

entirely_foreign,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Hey everyone, Wisemec is having A 45% off sale on their website with code "new45" just grabbed a bronze DNA 250 for $66!
Fuck. Now what.

So, the question that brought me to this thread is, who is selling the longer XL8R in the US, but that $$ may have just been stolen... :rolleyes:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Fuck. Now what.

So, the question that brought me to this thread is, who is selling the longer XL8R in the US, but that $$ may have just been stolen... :rolleyes:

I'd spring for the bronze wismec dna250 today and get the short and long RBT cooling mouthpiece combo (Chinese with less thickness and lower cost) from vgoodiez later.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@bossman, the 1 gripe that many have with the rx gen 3 dual is the lack of screen brightness due to the coverplate being smoke. What's your impression?

Odd, the discount code box didn't show up on the website in Firefox, but showed up in IE. :hmm:

Yeah, the code only works for certain vapes. I wanted the RX200S or RX 2/3, but not on sale.
The gen 3 dual comes around on other websites for that price so no rush.

Last edited:
Summer,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'd spring for the bronze wismec dna250 today and get the short and long RBT cooling mouthpiece combo (Chinese with less thickness and lower cost) from vgoodiez later.
I would much rather get a DNAc device, but I have my doubts I will find one I like (other than the VT75D) at a price I am willing to pay. The 3 battery design of the bronze one is holding me back even more than the older chip...

cybrguy,
Reactions: bossman

Monkeyhouse

Accessory Maker
I would much rather get a DNAc device, but I have my doubts I will find one I like (other than the VT75D) at a price I am willing to pay. The 3 battery design of the bronze one is holding me back even more than the older chip...
Yeah I'm not a fan of the 3 battery design or the bronze (I think it looks horrible), but for that price I can't really complain much. And if a DNAc mod ever comes close to it in price then I'll just sell the wisemec and probably not lose any money.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@bossman, the 1 gripe that many have with the rx gen 3 dual is the lack of screen brightness due to the coverplate being smoke. What's your impression?

And where do you apply the wismec discount code, because I'm seeing it before I get to the paypal screen.
The code field is right there when you view your cart. Good to know about the dim screen. I'm an evening vaper and mostly at home so it hasn't been a thing. I think I keep the screen half bright in the settings even.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the 3 battery design or the bronze (I think it looks horrible), but for that price I can't really complain much. And if a DNAc mod ever comes close to it in price then I'll just sell the wisemec and probably not lose any money.

The three battery body of the bronze Wismec is markedly clunkier than my rxg3d and the little sideways display isn't much use either. The bronze wismec makes the Splinter less portable for sure.

On the upside, once you have the ecigprofile on it you can just set temps from 345 to 385° five degrees at a time and never consider the firmware again apart from switching to the Z profile or whatever.

As for price and value I'm optimistic about the Paranormal but it's a significant bump in price and dealing with an overseas seller will be a problem if mine isn't right.

bossman,
Reactions: cybrguy

Summer

Long Island, NY
@bossman, I edited my post above. Watched a youtube review by Mike Vapes & he said (albeit 2-1/2 years ago) that in his opinion, the RX200S works as well as any dna mod. So based on that & that it's compatible w/ tubo (I want cruise mode), I've settled on either the RX 200s or RX 2/3. Per Mike, both function identically. Only gripe w/ the 2/3 is the placement of the battery door button. I'll just have to keep my eye out for other sales. No rush.

I have the Sinuous Ravage which I will try in tcr w/ the stock software & then Red Panda (arctic fox for color screens), but unfortunately no cruise/autofire. And it appears that my eleaf i stick power can be upgraded to myevic so I'll have autofire there. And if I go w/ 1 of the 2 aforementioned wismecs, I'll be able to use it with the Splinter, Z & G43 for continuous run on very low wattage.

Last edited:
Summer,
Reactions: bossman

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have the 2/3 and it works fine in power mode and decently in Tubo mode. I always use it in 2 battery configuration. I have no real complaints about it, I just want a DNA mod as I think it will be better. I won't really know until I have one, but that is what I have gleaned from folks posts about them, including @bossman.
I find I never use my OG Splinter because I have my SplinterZ on my one mod and don't swap them to avoid risking the 510. YMMV

eideal852

I have the 2/3 and it works fine in power mode and decently in Tubo mode. I always use it in 2 battery configuration. I have no real complaints about it, I just want a DNA mod as I think it will be better. I won't really know until I have one, but that is what I have gleaned from folks posts about them, including @bossman.
I find I never use my OG Splinter because I have my SplinterZ on my one mod and don't swap them to avoid risking the 510. YMMV
How realistic is this worry? I keep reading this, should it not be taken on and off then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom