The Screwball by Vapvana

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Context:

Im not well, I'm going in for surgery Monday and I have these fits of pain that cause me to sweat, vomit, spasm and pass out.

To avoid unwanted burns etc I stopped using most of my collection of vapes, anything I might drop on myself or that requires a torch..

The main device I’d been using has been the Screwball because amazingly, when I had a fit and grabbed the device, i didn’t get burnt - the bowl / handle / assembly shape meant that every time I had a pain spasm I would grab something other than the coil - I was using the Taroma 360 before the Screwball and have many photos of coil burns.

The below was a similar story, I had a major pain episode, I don’t remember what happened but when I decided to go and have a vape I found things in a bad state and I think I fucked screwball.

BreadStick

Context:

Im not well, I'm going in for surgery Monday and I have these fits of pain that cause me to sweat, vomit, spasm and pass out.

To avoid unwanted burns etc I stopped using most of my collection of vapes, anything I might drop on myself or that requires a torch..

The main device I’d been using has been the Screwball because amazingly, when I had a fit and grabbed the device, i didn’t get burnt - the bowl / handle / assembly shape meant that every time I had a pain spasm I would grab something other than the coil - I was using the Taroma 360 before the Screwball and have many photos of coil burns.

The below was a similar story, I had a major pain episode, I don’t remember what happened but when I decided to go and have a vape I found things in a bad state and I think I fucked screwball.

Sorry to hear man that sounds horrible, I hope your surgery brings you better health and a speedy recovery.

I had a quick google of removing burnt rubber from metal and I found a couple different people recommending you try soak the part in acetone to try dissolve the rubber then try scrub any remnants off. This was recommended for trying to get rubber off of a car exhaust so I'm not sure how comparable the materials are but acetone is usually a good choice of strong solvent.

Last edited:

jbm

The DC maybe? I don’t have a smart plug to try or know much about the settings on controllers.
I have my DC PID plugged into a smart plug and it works fine. I’m able to turn the PID on and off from my phone. I had the Screwball PID plugged into one too, but as others here have said, it’s a button press, not a switch, so you can’t control it using a smart plug.

Pcloudy

On top of that the dc micro pid is just a good pid. I love the layout. Power and xlr in the front, power cord in the back. I have a pid now that has the xlr and power cord on the side with the xlr behind the power cord. It’s a wonky design and I’m tempted to ask the builder of it the reasoning behind it.

jbm

On top of that the dc micro pid is just a good pid. I love the layout. Power and xlr in the front, power cord in the back. I have a pid now that has the xlr and power cord on the side with the xlr behind the power cord. It’s a wonky design and I’m tempted to ask the builder of it the reasoning behind it.
Agreed, and I’ve been thinking that I might just use the DC PID for everything. If I’m running the SB PID at 485, what should I be running the DC at to accommodate the temp differential?

2pumpchump

Agreed, and I’ve been thinking that I might just use the DC PID for everything. If I’m running the SB PID at 485, what should I be running the DC at to accommodate the temp differential?
I saw a member on hear post that he has 2 DC PIDS 1 has a offset 1 did not ! So I would talk to whoever you buy It from .. they should have a better idea of offset !

Kiwi Vapor

Ok, so I'm just getting around to posting a review, since I got the Screwball over the Christmas break.
It is my first ball vape and honestly, during the first few days of having it, I was in awe after each hit. I just couldn't believe how big the clouds were and how tasty and terpy the hits were. I've been vaping on my Mighty for the last 5 years and loving it but this is next level! I didn't think it was possible to have such big clouds and still taste so delicious! Smokers are missing out big time! I played around with temps and have settled on 480 as my go to temp. Thanks Cal, for all the work you have put in and designing such a sweet vaporizer. One thing I noticed though is the screen on the bottom of the housing, holding all the gems, isn't quite flush. Did I read somewhere how we fix this issue, I can't remember? Anyway, it doesn't seem to be hindering performance so no huge deal. I have ordered a Matrix Recycler from VGoodies, so will wait until that arrives and then I'll post a video of my setup. Cheers guys. Happy Vaping!

purplenurple24

One thing I noticed though is the screen on the bottom of the housing, holding all the gems, isn't quite flush. Did I read somewhere how we fix this issue, I can't remember? Anyway, it doesn't seem to be hindering performance so no huge deal.
Cal said he’d be sending out something for the units with the wonky screens. At one point, he said he’d send out screens, but last time I asked it sounded like he was thinking about sending replacement heaters… he responded to one of my questions a couple pages back. I’m too lazy to look it up at the moment, but he did say it 😂

It doesn’t seem to affect performance, but maybe it’ll perform slightly better with the flush screen? I don’t really know.

Pretty happy with the Screwball either way, but I am interested to see if it changes anything whenever the fix comes along.

2pumpchump

Context:

The below was a similar story, I had a major pain episode, I don’t remember what happened but when I decided to go and have a vape I found things in a bad state and I think I fucked screwball

Hopping all go's well with your surgery!
Maybe you got your screwball cleaned up and going again.
Wile it can be annoying at times I hope you have the auto off set for only a few hrs . Glad you are OK and still vapeing with us.

jbm

Context:

Ye cats. Best of luck and wishes for an unremarkable surgery and timely and full recovery.

gmocooties

As much as I love a big ball vape bong hit, I generally prefer to vape through a dry piece when I can - and I've been loving the Screwball at really low temps (usually around 390°F at most) through a J-hook. I've found that I can just leave the heater on the bowl at this temp, and puff away for a few minutes at a time before the added conduction starts to roast things a little too much. Works beautifully with both bowl sizes too.

Would be even better if there was a wireless option though 😉

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Presale Update + Comment Responses​

Crazy to think January is almost over! :mental:

I've been hard at work setting up a new office, getting things squared away for the presale shipment, and cooking up some new designs :science:

Let's jump in!

Lets Go GIF by The Roku Channel

Presale Status​

The presale will run until the end of this weekend or when I run out of available kits - whatever comes first.

You can use code 'FC10' for a 10% discount on the presale price :rockon:

Kits are expected to ship out to me before February 2nd, and I should have them in 1-2 weeks from then :clap:

New Office Preview​

Here's a sneak peak at the new office I'm moving into. I have a friend helping my setup, and we should be done in the next few days :love:

Upcoming Accessory Availability​

I ordered some extra bowls, mesh screens, 14-18 pass thru adapter sets, and scoops to offer on the site.
scq-big-n-small.webp
14-18-adapter-kit.jpg

Yea, even slight differences in adapters (if using), like this, make a difference :brow:
Agreed! And even though I use the same device (SB) 95% of the time, I keep the experience different by switching up my glass rigs, accessories, strains, temp, bowl amount, salad bowls, etc :science:

Using mine through a dante with whip. I only had a 14mm whip and was using an adapter. My 18mm whip just came in and the diameter of the glass that the tubing fits over is slightly smaller making a noticeable difference in the pull. Its fantastic both ways, its just incredible how such a miniscule difference can change it so much.
IMO by adding the whip it naturally slows/restricts the airflow, which means you can run the PID at lower temps with similar results :uhh:

Glass Rigs For A (Screw)Ball Vape​

I'm currently working with GOBs Glass to design a nice desktop rig for the Screwball. Update on this (and possibility a new thread) coming soon :rockon:
Just ordered a Screwball - my first ball vape. Im so excited I can't desribe it.

What kind of bong/rig should I get? (Im in the EU if that matters)

Any other accessories that is nice to have when it comes to the Screwball?
Thanks for the early support! And thanks to @coolbreeze for the glass suggestions :clap:

Screwball Merch?​

Once things are up and running I'm open to offering some merch if people are interested :shrug:

Open to any ideas y'all have!
I think we need some screwball mood mats asap.
The plan has been to make a few characters to work towards a mood mat design :freak:

Here's the latest update I've received:
72772024548__C728B80C-2ACF-4FAB-9298-5505524AB42C.jpg

Screwball Smart Plug & Heatup Times​

Unfortunately the current PID isn't compatible with smart plugs for turning the unit on remote.
Mine is heated up before my coffee is done in the morning..
It takes about ~5 mins to get fully get to temp. So I try and turn my PID on before I start getting my flower ready, and by the time I'm all ground up it's ready to rock n roll :rockon:

Sending Love & Positive Vibes To Y'all​

Love You Hug GIF by Pudgy Penguins

No matter if you're going thru a high or low point in your life right now, just wanted to take a moment to say how much I appreciate this community and the beautiful humans I've had the opportunity to interact with over the past year or so. :love:

Life is short and sometimes we need to slow down and show a little gratitude - so hopefully this can be a reminder for myself and someone else out there too :tup:
Wishing you a speedy recovery my friend!

I've also been in the contact with @VapingYogi and will be sending them a replacement heater just in case they can't get theirs back to life :rockon:

Replacement Screens + Housings For 1st Round Presale Orders​

Cal said he’d be sending out something for the units with the wonky screens. At one point, he said he’d send out screens, but last time I asked it sounded like he was thinking about sending replacement heaters…
The first round of presale orders ended up having an issue with the cutout in the housing, and not the screen diameter.

Once I receive this upcoming order and confirm the problem has been fixed, I will be ordering extra housings for all 1st round presale orders and sending them out accordingly.

This shouldn't impact performance, however I still want all previous orders to have the most up to date pieces.

Going Wireless​

Would be even better if there was a wireless option though 😉
Although I was biased AGAINST wireless ball vapes in the beginning, I've had a change of mind and we have two wireless mockups complete, plus one for our next product: Project 'Power Tower'

Project Power Tower​

If you've seen the 16mm hothole that I've used before, I ended up scrapping the project due the metal wire not having the user experience I was looking for.

Fast forward a few months, and I came up with a new idea for a wireless heating system.

Here is a sneak peak of part of the system:
IMG_9817.jpg

Wireless Screwball​

The wireless screwball would work with the 25mm coil and be compatible with the current bowls available. The handle uses 10/24 threading.

90297b7f1369b13fe4cd87fdd90be9fc.jpg

Wireless Injector​

I also came up with a design for a wireless injector that uses a 20mm coil and has a 18mm joint (there's a 16mm version of this in the works, with a 14mm joint)
IMG_9818.jpg

Screwball Lite Design?​

I originally designed the Screwball to be a heavy hitter that can keep up with anyone's tolerance level, and this was mainly due to my personal desires in a DHV (I have a high tolerance).

Unfortunately I happened to overlook the group of people who desire a smaller dose, or just don't need a 'heavy hitter'

This got me thinking, and I came up with this 'Screwball Lite' design that is SS instead of Titanium, uses a 20mm coil and 3mm pearls, but still works with the current bowl.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-29_at_1.59.25_PM.png

The bowl shown in the mockup has a 14mm joint (a more common size) and uses 15mm screens instead of 20mm, so it would hold less herb for people who prefer the smaller doses.

I'm also working on a basic bubbler design, with the goal to have a complete ball vape kit with glass rig for under $200 :rockon:

Next Update​

I will update y'all soon once the office is all setup, and I have an updated ETA for presale orders.

As always, if you have any questions please send an email to hi@vapvana.com

Otherwise I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of these new designs and concepts! :clap:

Talk soon,
Cal

add1noob

Hey everyone just curious if anyone's given moissanite a try in their Screwball?

Also I think the only Improvement Cal could make is a black zirconia version. The same design of the bowl and heater in zirconia would be perfect. It would solve the bowl seizing problem and you could make the tolerances much tighter so the bowl and heater sit together without tilting. I would put in a preorder for a black zirconia version if that ever becomes a thing.

Also, if none of that is possible, putting the temperature sensor on the opposite end of the coil will allow us to use it upside down and I think that weight distribution would hold the heater flat against the bowl.

Mixing an insulated exterior like zirconia with a super conductive interior like moissanite sounds like it'd be perfect experience. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Pcloudy

Hey everyone just curious if anyone's given moissanite a try in their Screwball?

Also I think the only Improvement Cal could make is a black zirconia version. The same design of the bowl and heater in zirconia would be perfect. I would put in a preorder for a black zirconia version if that ever becomes a thing.

Mixing an insulated exterior like zirconia with a super conductive interior like moissanite sounds like it'd be perfect experience. What do you guys think?
I think there is already someone making zirconia ball vapes with matching bowls if that’s what you want. I’m not sure if it would be worth it for Cal to spend tons of time and resources trying to make something that is a niche of a niche of a niche. It seems like it’s not the easiest material to work with compared with titanium and steel but I’m no expert.

add1noob

I think there is already someone making zirconia ball vapes with matching bowls if that’s what you want. I’m not sure if it would be worth it for Cal to spend tons of time and resources trying to make something that is a niche of a niche of a niche. It seems like it’s not the easiest material to work with compared with titanium and steel but I’m no expert.
It's a niche of a niche, but you have to admit Zirconia is a better material, especially if Cal decides to go wireless.

2pumpchump

Also I think the only Improvement Cal could make is a black zirconia version. The same design of the bowl and heater in zirconia would be perfect. It would solve the bowl seizing problem and you could make the tolerances much tighter so the bowl and heater sit together without tilting. I would put in a preorder for a black zirconia version if that ever becomes a thing.

Also, if none of that is possible, putting the temperature sensor on the opposite end of the coil will allow us to use it upside down and I think that weight distribution would hold the heater flat against the bowl.

MY THOUGHTS! Very interesting 🤔 but isn't moissanite on the expensive side??
Would the zirconia bowl fit the Ti heater?
Will the zirconia heater work with the Ti Bowl?
If they would fit each other how would that effect the tolerances you mentioned improving??
These are just my thoughts and opinions!
Ow and one more thought ...... it would be cool if cal did come up with something like this!

2pumpchump,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
It's a niche of a niche, but you have to admit Zirconia is a better material, especially if Cal decides to go wireless.
I have two Zirconia ball vapes, a few titanium, and a few that are stainless steel. I am not convinced that zirconia is a "better material". I think a three choices for a housing have different trade offs, similar to the heater fill material.

If you replaced the titanium in the screwball today with zirconia, you would find even worse heating problems to overcome. Already the screwball needs the gem cut to super charge the heater. I'm not sure how you could compensate further if you switch to glass or ceramic.

pghjd

If they would fit each other how would that effect the tolerances you mentioned improving??
Ow and one more thought ...... it would be cool if cal did come up with something like this!
As far as I know it should be within a similar price range to ruby. It's a heavily produced lab made stone. It's only expensive if you're buying it from Charles & covard because they invented the modern lab process.

pghjd,

add1noob

I have two Zirconia ball vapes, a few titanium, and a few that are stainless steel. I am not convinced that zirconia is a "better material". I think a three choices for a housing have different trade offs, similar to the heater fill material.

If you replaced the titanium in the screwball today with zirconia, you would find even worse heating problems to overcome. Already the screwball needs the gem cut to super charge the heater. I'm not sure how you could compensate further if you switch to glass or ceramic.
I appreciate the opportunity to engage in this discussion. I want to share my perspective on the topic, particularly regarding using zirconia and gem-cut rubies in ball vape designs. Zirconia is almost twice as dense as titanium. The increased density, rather than being a disadvantage, could enhance the device's efficiency by storing more heat. It also has the advantage of less thermal expansion than titanium, allowing for tighter tolerances. My view on round-cut rubies is that their purpose extends beyond compensating for design flaws in "ball vapes." Instead, the shape of the rubies contributes to a higher density within the device, further increasing the heat capacity. As I understand it, the core principle behind ball vapes involves charging a material with heat, which then heats the air. This air subsequently transfers the heat to the substance. This process's effectiveness hinges on the materials' thermal properties. Denser material in a "ball vape" acts like a battery with greater capacity. Other than the wireless design, there should be no heating problems regardless of material, as you can draw as much energy as you need from the coil.

It would be more expensive, but I'm a buy once cry once type of guy. The zirconia heater would not work with a titanium bowl because the expansion of the titanium would lock it into the zirconia. Zirconia is a ceramic, and its shape doesn't change as much when heated compared to metals. The titanium bowl seizes to the glass because of its thermal expansion. You would get tighter tolerances because you wouldn't have to account for thermal expansion as much. The only downside is that it would affect the hybrid heating, where I hope the moissanite gems would come in to compensate.

Also, Cal should revisit the updated lid design, a lid with side intakes. It could help trap heat even more and make the air more turbulent.

Here's a question for everyone: which airflow would be better in all convection vapes, laminar or turbulent? In my heart, laminar makes more sense, but in my head, wouldn't the air become turbulent when it hit the weed, almost nullifying the laminar air flow immediately? If that were the case, the more chaotic the flow from the start, the better.

An "espresso" machine vape would be best if you think about it like coffee. I always see those "influencers" talking about even extraction and good saturation on Instagram. That's the direction we need to head.

PS. I'm just a drunk/high guy talking out of my ass. Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom