The Screwball by Vapvana

Any Aussies get a kit?
What plug / kit did you get? (3rd Photo).

It’s very rare I get something from overseas.

I ask just because of the jug plug cable I was sent isn’t the Aussie one - I don’t want to grab an Aussie jug plug and have something go wrong when I turn it in or try and use it.

I wasn’t personally taking it as pigeon holding I was amused at how different people express similar things. I liked your post and explanation, I wouldn't have even thought about the way I use it had you not shared your opinion so I apricate it mate
Wow got me excited now, wasn’t expecting to get it before Christmas but now I got hope haha

With the plug can you just get one of those adapters that can fit that type of connections?

gmocooties

Wow got me excited now, wasn’t expecting to get it before Christmas but now I got hope haha

With the plug can you just get one of those adapters that can fit that type of connections?

My understanding is that so long as it's the 220V version (i.e. the 'international' version), it should be safe to simply use an adapter. I was expecting a non-Australian plug based on the website's images - I'm glad someone posted a photo so I can get an adapter in advance!

Hopefully mine arrives ASAP! I think it's sitting in customs at the moment. Nice to see another Australian screwballer 👍

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
** just sharin’ ** us Aussies at the moment get the EU kit with the EU jug plug cable; threw me for 6 as I nearly never get electronics from overseas and I’d never seen an EU 250V power cord *shrugs* so I reused the cord from the retired Freight Train and just got her all set up and thought id share.

@Slimjob Dopamine @gmocooties :) see below, nice to meet a few more Aussies.

gmocooties

Good to hear you can just use a different cable - I think I've got a bunch of those ones lying around the house haha.

Is that glass piece in the back the Qarisma? I think A Friend Indeed sell it? I've been tossing up getting one of those for ages, but it ain't cheap! How does it perform?

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Good to hear you can just use a different cable - I think I've got a bunch of those ones lying around the house haha. Is that glass piece in the back the Qarisma? I think A Friend Indeed sell it? I've been tossing up getting one of those for ages, but it ain't cheap! How does it perform?
I have never owned a glass rig for more than like 2 or 3 months before I have broken it. I used to use a Mega globe when the Freight Train back in the day (oct 2022) and I have a couple of factory second Mega Globes on the shelf.

The Qarisma Rig is solid, stable, effective and has lasted longer than 3 months - I think I am at 5 months now, its not much longer than my longest, but its looking like its going to last a while & yeah I got it from Damien at A Friend Indeed.

I am not a big water rig person, I like my Prophet and J-hooks, but for the Taroma 360 and the Screwball, the load is just a little bit larger and the cooling/filtration is perfect imo for the two of them.

gmocooties

The Qarisma Rig is solid, stable, effective and has lasted longer than 3 months - I think I am at 5 months now, its not much longer than my longest, but its looking like its going to last a while & yeah I got it from Damien at A Friend Indeed.
I'm yet to break any of my glass, funnily enough - I guess I vape a little more gently than others 😉

Appreciate the info mate. I splurged on DHGate recently and have a few new rigs waiting for me at home (interstate at the moment - even if my Screwball arrives in the next few days it'll be a little while before I get to play around with it unfortunately), so I'm hoping that'll ease the GAS for a while.

Anyway, I'd better stop going off topic! Hope you're all having fun getting 'screwed' 😅

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Happy Holidaze FC!​

As the end of the year closes, I hope everyone has an opportunity to spend time with their family and loved ones :love:

This past week I've been celebrating Grandma's 90th birthday, and having family in town has put me a little behind with work & communications. Thanks to everyone for their patience and cooperation :bowdown:

Presale Updates​

US Kits are officially sold out! :rockon:

I may do another presale before the next round of production, more info coming soon :tup:

International kits are still in stock and are starting to land. You should have received an email from me today about onboarding and power plug info.

International Kit Power Plugs​

Unless you order from Rec Vapes (they have kits with UK plugs), all international kits default with 220v coils and Euro plugs. Please make sure you have the correct power plug on hand if you are located in:
  • Australia
  • United Kingdom
  • Israel
  • Etc
I'm working towards expanding the power plug types provided, and apologize if this is an inconvenience for you. If you have any questions or issues please send an email to hi@vapvana.com

PID Compatibility​

The provided PIDs are compatible with 110v & 220v coils, along with all power plug types.

Screwball Double Deckers​

Salad bowls are great, but who else loves doing a double decker on this? Little dab melted through the gems while hitting a bowl... :clap:🤌
I've tested this too (for science! :science:) and although it's possible, I don't recommend doing it unless you are capable of the cleaning / maintenance involved

Have seen people doing that. Does it clog the device though? Do you clean the rubies with iso?
IMO, it depends on what type of concentrate you use. Regardless of the type, I think it will eventually lead to reclaim building in the heater and a burn-off will be necessary.

Iso baths for the gems and lid could be done if needed, but I don't want to keep track of those gems. I'm gonna stick to heat cleaning until I notice a flavor difference or visible nastiness on the gems.
Even with a heat clean, I've noticed that I still need to let the gems soak in 99% iso to clean.

Since I'm lazy I prefer the least amount of maintenance possible... which is why I just put the concentrate on top of the bowl instead of the heater (but I'm going to do some more testing since I have multiple heaters now :freak:)

Experiment with the Full Vaping Spectrum (low to high temp)​

This only works assuming the differential is linear, which it's unlikely to be.....
Good point!

IMO, I think the real benefit for people is to experiment and test the full temp ranges on their own setup. In other words, start the PID as low as possible and keep increasing it until you reach combustion/near combustion.

How do you know what you like until you try alllll the things? :science::rockon:

Half Bowl Variable​

The half bowl has half as much conductive surface area. Because of this, I am compensating by about 10-20 degrees on the PID to boost the convection air temp and account for the difference in surface area. 520-530 is working really well for a good quick session on the half bowl.
I agree!

And I've also been enjoying the 520-530f range with the half sized bowl and ~1 SQP.

It's been cool to see how changing one variable (the bowl depth) can change the overall experience.

I connected the Screwball to my DC PID today. I ran it through a smallish bubbler with pretty open airflow. Started at 440f and eventually ended at 420f with excellent results. I’m cleaning some pieces with larger volume, anxiously waiting to try and roast an entire full bowl in one hit!
Glad to see things have been going well! :rockon:

IMO, it seems like an entire full bowl is best for 'sesh' mode and the half sized bowl is better for 'one hit extractions' - let me know if you find a good setting to completely roast an entire full bowl in one hit :freak:

Adjusting The Bowl Screen​

I went from the bottom, actually, pushed it out and into the top groove. Much better, cash a half bowl in a couple hits. I’m running it on the kit pid at 485, will prob switch it to my dc pid to conserve desk real estate.
I like to use the bottom of the scoop to help set/adjust the screens.

Heater Stand & Performance​

The stand is one part of the kit I’m not particularly fond of. It’s effective and does what it’s supposed to, but I wish there was a notch somewhere on the handle of the heater so it could set and rest without it slipping and the head then makes contact with the stand. Also, the stand sides are as sharp as a knife. Can the edges be rounded?
This has probably been mentioned earlier in this thread but why wasn’t wood considered for the heater handle to match the handle of the bowl?
Those few things aside…this thing is a beast:science:
Thanks for the feedback @Kaptan ! :rockon:

I agree with you on all the points - the goal with the Starter Kit was to minimize costs in all areas that didn't impact the vape performance.

95% of my time went into the heater + bowl performance, and most accessories were an afterthought. I was trying to answer the question "If they already have glass, what is the bear minimum a user needs to get started with the Screwball?"

Next steps are to refine the current versions and add deluxe options too :rockon:

Stand & Heater Performance​

This video is also a short section of the videos in the full video also show that my DIY pid doesn't have a offset temp and runs the same temperature as the factory pid and same results.
So not entirely sure how I feel on venting a bit of heat yet!

Side note to get a little VAS go the new bowl came in today pictures and thoughts coming soon
Thanks for sharing the video @Necra !

Interesting experiment - I will have to do some testing of my own. For now, I feel like it hasn't impacted the performance too much - but more testing may change my mind :science:

is what fits my decor
Awesome DIY stand!

Love the industrial look to it :rockon:

Wireless Screwball​

Also, if the SB ever goes wireless it will need a good stand (in fact the world needs a good stand now), so that would be a golden opportunity to come up with something special that can be used for both setups. or everybody's setup.
Sooo... I've reconsidered offering a wireless Screwball :freak:

SB-wireless-mockup.png

This is a mockup for a 25mm wireless Screwball. I've also designed two wireless injectors - one with an 18mm joint and one with a 14mm joint :rockon:

More info will be announced at a later date :tup:

Sesh Mode vs One Hit Extractions​

This device is for serious session users: the hits are incredible. I have numerous vaping devices but none come close to the screwball for ease of use. I'm going to reduce the size of the bowl so I can do smaller, more manageable hits. What a great machine!
I tend to disagree, as I use it mainly as a one hit and I'm done vape, and it excels compared to my others. The on demand, instant extraction makes it easy to do one fully medicating hit and be on my way, instead of sipping on dynavaps all day.

It is not for the casual user who only needs light medication or a little stone at night to wind down, but I would hesitate to put any other label on it, because it works for so many use cases! One hit, session, high temp, low temp, clouds or slow whispy extraction, this thing rocks it all!
As already mentioned, it seems like the Screwball is quite a versatile device that is capable of meeting different users expectations and preferences.

Although I've mainly used it as a sesh style vape during testing, I've come to enjoy the half sized bowl too. I think the important thing is how many variables we have in our control to help fine tune our unique experience.

Received this last week. I've been busy testing the Proxy. I'm going to give this pretty red head a whirl this weekend.

Welcome to the club! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after some thorough testing is completed :science:

Next Update​

I'm working on building a web app (website) specifically for Screwball reviews. After I get caught up shipping and communications, I'll be able to get back to this project.

If anyone needs anything please send an email to hi@vapvana.com

Happy Holidaze,
Cal

gmocooties

Appreciate the update Cal! Regarding the cable/plug types - super easy fix, so no stress at all. And happy holidaze back at ya! Hope the 90th birthday was a wild one mate 😉

Eager to pop this bad boy on the rig as soon as I get my hands on it... One day! The joys of waiting on international shipping (at Christmas time no less) never end.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
hey guys...

save me from searching through the thread please, your mates in pain and just wants to jump in at the best possible point.

My screwball is set up, I want to smack this pain on its head, what would you recommend I set the settings to? I'm starting with 0.4g flower for a few bowls then will add some Afghan hash and then mix of hash/rosin/flower to end the session and hopefully stop me from pacing around the lounge room..

you help's apricated..

I'm having a first bowl now at 460f

2pumpchump

hey guys...

save me from searching through the thread please, your mates in pain and just wants to jump in at the best possible point.

My screwball is set up, I want to smack this pain on its head, what would you recommend I set the settings to? I'm starting with 0.4g flower for a few bowls then will add some Afghan hash and then mix of hash/rosin/flower to end the session and hopefully stop me from pacing around the lounge room..

you help's apricated..

I'm having a first bowl now at 460f
I'd probably go 480f maybe 500 for a full bowl but if you need a insa dose do a half bowl at 510 to 540 but cafull going above that starts getting risky of combustion after that

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I'd probably go 480f maybe 500 for a full bowl but if you need a insa dose do a half bowl at 510 to 540 but cafull going above that starts getting risky of combustion after that
Thanks mate, started 480f and went up to 520f (10f increments) just to have a look. I think I enjoy using the full bowl at 490f even though its an extra draw of vapour - so the sessions longer than using a higher temperature - but its a nicer vape. I tried the half bowl setting for a minute but I ended up increasing the temperature 520f for a better extraction. I only did it for a little while but I had a moment of "I want a sneaky pete's half bowl converter but for the screwball" a little insert that you could sit in that you then put the screen on top of such that the converter would sit snuggly between the lip of the bowl and the screen in half bowl position - just to give the half bowl setting the extra conduction.

It was just a random thought as I was raisng the temperature as I prefer to stay lower - probably wouldn't work anyway it was just a thought

coolbreeze

I could have swear I posted these a while back but don't see them .. but this is what I was using for half bowls before the new bowl came in
Reminds me of the revolving one-hitter bong bowls they used to make. I spent an afternoon smoking revolving bowls of hash and listening to Yes at my connection's house. I'm surprised I remember it at all!

JohnnyTorres

After seeing Cal doing all that science on IG Live yesterday, I decided to experiment with cleaning my heater from the devastation of double deckers.

I opened it up in the morning, no care given the night before, so I knew it would be at it's dirtiest. Like Cal, I found a good number of rubies fused together, and about half where discolored. The following picture is after I broke them up, showing how many were badly chazzed up.

I took these to a 91% ISO bath for 5 minutes and rubbed them between two paper towels, this was the result.

This was where I decided to throw in the towel; if I had to eventually buy new gems, so be it, but I could not get these completely clean. I just wanted it functional.

In a last ditch effort, I set my PID to 900f while I made breakfast (30-40 minutes). Upon inspection, the discoloration had disappeared from the visible gems and the chazz on top of the heater had turned to ash, which easily wiped away after it cooled. Upon opening the heater to inspect the gems, I found them all clean and properly colored.

I am not recommending anyone go against manufacturers recommendations; please do any experimentation safely, and at your own risk. 900 degrees Fahrenheit is HOT. Like self-cleaning oven hot. Your heater needs to be in a safe location with proper ventilation. Also, these temperatures will discolor your titanium, and there is no going back. I'm sharing this information as documentation and data points, not recommendations.

As for efficiency of either method, I see waste from both, whether it's chazz on the heater or reclaim on the glass, so I can't say if one is objectively better than the other. Because of the temperature differential between the heater head and the air stream, I feel like Salad Bowls are best for low temp, flavorful dabs, and the Double Decker's are a higher temp dab, with stronger immediate effects.

In short, if you want to keep your head clean with no maintenance, or you like the raw titanium color, SALAD BOWLS ONLY!

Received my SB last Thursday and couldn’t be happier with it, only issue for me is the bowl gets stuck in my glass every time but Cal had already told us that could happen so I expected it. I have a pass through adapter so I put that on and if I need to empty/re-fill while it’s still stuck I can just lift that.

I’ve only tired the half bowl so far, filling it enough to cover the screen and hitting it usually at 510f and extracting perfectly after 2-3 pulls, took more like 6 when I first tried but my lungs have adjusted.

The flavour is also really great even at the higher temps and I can’t wait to get some more bud (hopefully stocking up today/tomorrow) and get a lower temp flavour session going on the full bowl.

Top Bottom