The Screwball by Vapvana

Vapvana

Manufacturer
A cordless vapes that still keeps the coil?
I read your post and I couldn't help but wonder... Will be interested to see what Cal has in mind as my imagination an't that good
I usually prefer testing a prototype before sharing ideas....but it seems like a picture of the concept would help clarify things :D
IMG_8890.jpg
IMG_8885.jpg

Plan on using SS? Would imagine it’d be best for heat retention without power ..
Speaking of SS - the last prototypes I received from the early adopters feedback were in SS (to cut down on lead time). You can see how even with the same design, SS is nearly twice as heavy as Titanium.
IMG_8898.jpg
IMG_8899.jpg
IMG_8896.jpg
IMG_8897.jpg

After using only the SS housing and bowl for a week, and then comparing it back to the all Titanium housing and bowl, this is my opinion:

Titanium performs better at the same temps with less flavor impact, and is noticeable lighter in hand.

IMO, the only reason you'd want to use SS is because you have a Titanium allergy. As mentioned by @TedJones above - there might be a case to use SS for the tetherless version. Until testing is done, it's hard to tell.

Future Screwball Material Options​

Right now, the plan is to keep the starter kit with the all titanium version. Since the SS version is cheaper to produce, when the screwball heater and bowls are sold separately there will be a SS option offered at a cheaper price than the Ti version.

It would be nice to test a Zirconia and Quartz version in the future, but there isn't any current plans at this moment.

The pre sale has sold out and the screwball inches closer to my desk :)
It's true, the presale has officially sold out... for non FC members! :cool:

FC Screwball Presale Form​

If you're still interested in securing the presale pricing ($242), then please fill out the form below. I will honor all entries from now until the end of this week (November 12th at 11:59 PST)

Click here to reserve your kit

The remaining kits will be listed for sale once I'm caught up on shipping presale orders, prizes, early adopter bowl upgrades, etc

I'm still waiting on shipping/tracking info, and will make an update soon when I have more info.

Talk soon,
Cal

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I usually prefer testing a prototype before sharing ideas....but it seems like a picture of the concept would help clarify things :D
IMG_8890.jpg
IMG_8885.jpg

Speaking of SS - the last prototypes I received from the early adopters feedback were in SS (to cut down on lead time). You can see how even with the same design, SS is nearly twice as heavy as Titanium.
IMG_8898.jpg
IMG_8899.jpg
IMG_8896.jpg
IMG_8897.jpg

After using only the SS housing and bowl for a week, and then comparing it back to the all Titanium housing and bowl, this is my opinion:

Titanium performs better at the same temps with less flavor impact, and is noticeable lighter in hand.

IMO, the only reason you'd want to use SS is because you have a Titanium allergy. As mentioned by @TedJones above - there might be a case to use SS for the tetherless version. Until testing is done, it's hard to tell.

Future Screwball Material Options​

Right now, the plan is to keep the starter kit with the all titanium version. Since the SS version is cheaper to produce, when the screwball heater and bowls are sold separately there will be a SS option offered at a cheaper price than the Ti version.

It would be nice to test a Zirconia and Quartz version in the future, but there isn't any current plans at this moment.

It's true, the presale has officially sold out... for non FC members! :cool:

FC Screwball Presale Form​

If you're still interested in securing the presale pricing ($242), then please fill out the form below. I will honor all entries from now until the end of this week (November 12th at 11:59 PST)

Click here to reserve your kit

The remaining kits will be listed for sale once I'm caught up on shipping presale orders, prizes, early adopter bowl upgrades, etc

I'm still waiting on shipping/tracking info, and will make an update soon when I have more info.

Talk soon,
Cal
Is your bottom screen and the clip that holds it in made of stainless steel?

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: VapingYogi

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I apricate you sharing, I like it, and I love that I wasn't "too far" off the mark :) I can see a "deluxe" version where the stand allowed you to put the assembly and bowl with the coil attached for presoaking / preheating. Maybe with a few functions built into the handle like the temp controls, a timer with a auditory and visual indicator (maybe a little LED display and chime). I can see the opportunities to really expand that design into some really interesting options.

there might be a case to use SS for the tetherless version. Until testing is done, it's hard to tell.
Just out of curiosity, talking about material, I think you said the wired version uses 2.5 gem cut rubies (750) in the assembly - would you also be considering alternative options like 2.5mm Zr02 or Boro for the Tether-less version to increase the Thermal Retention to increase the time between heat ups?

I asked the above questions about the rubies as I assumed this was referring the the material of the housing as I remember you mentioned all quartz was your original idea

I am looking forwards to comparing it to my T360 and FT Pro. I have a few people asking to borrow it already and I haven't even got it.

thanks for Humoring me @Vapvana / Cal

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the b-2. My particular b-2 had a cheap 3 wrap coil so, while it did work, the coil never really wrapped around the bowl with the rest of the head. I'm stoked for the extra conduction. I also just miss the diffuser form factor.

My ex roommate ended up with our b-2 and I ended up with the b-0. The b-0 is NOT the same experience and I found myself missing the b-2 more than I was liking the b-0. The screwball seems to just build on the diffuser idea and improve everything about it, all while coming in at a lower price point.

I did have 4mm balls in my b-2 so I am curious how the airflow will be different with the screwball. Obviously more restrictive airflow with the 2.5mm cut but it can't possibly be as restrictive as something like the zx right? I'm looking for open airflow like the b-0 with 3mm rubies.

Very exciting.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I just read the original story and am curious about why you decided against the 16mm coil injector? Was it airflow?

Zuhdj,
Reactions: Vapvana

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Screwball Design Methodologies​

152DC4FA-12E2-4250-97F4-AB7595D8897E.jpg

NOTE: This post is intended to be a summary of my opinions and decisions I made throughout the R&D of the Screwball

Screwball Goal:​

Coming from the dabbing world, my goal was to recreate an experience that I enjoyed myself, taking a low temp dab.

Objective:​

Design a ball vape that recreates a hit similar to a low temperature dab of live hash rosin.

Key Results:​

• Operates well at lower temperatures than current options on the market (400f-500f)
  • Evenly cooks & roasts the herb without the need to stir
  • Easy to use for non enthusiasts

Operates At Low Temperatures​

If you're looking for flavor when taking a dab, they say you have to "waste it to taste it" - aka all the flavor happens at lower temp vaping.

Assumptions:​

• Temperature is the biggest factor for flavor - not the heating style (convection vs conduction)​

• Conduction has a bad rep for impacting flavor with DHVs - yet this isn't talked about when taking a dab
    • If your convection air is too hot, it will burn/evaporate the terps before you can experience them
    • Conduction is meant to increase the efficiency of the convection air
    • The video below demonstrates how much heat is actually being added via conduction
  • Quartz is ideal - metals impact the flavor​

• Titanium is frowned upon in the dab world - materials matter more with the dab surface.
    • My assumption was proven wrong when I tried a Titanium ball vape with minimal / no flavor impact.
      • After further testing, I believe using a SS housing has a slight impact in flavor
  • Media matters - minimize empty space inside housing
    IMG-8329.jpg

• By using 2.5mm round cut rubies (gem shaped) instead 3mm spheres, it allows for less empty space inside the housing. (More media = more heat retention = holds heat at lower temps better)
    • Since the air is heated by the rubies, having the path of most resistance should be more efficient.
    • Using smaller media restricts the airflow - to keep the inhale draw balanced, maximize the airflow in other variables (Coil diameter, holes on lid, joint ID, etc)

Evenly Roasts Your Herb​

IMO the best experience is when you can fully vape your bowl without stirring in-between hits.

• Hybrid heating is the most efficient way to roast your herb​

• By using both convection and conduction heating it minimizes / eliminates the need to stir
  • The bowl size matters - diameter and depth​

• IMO, heating up your bowl of herb is like cooking a piece of steak.
      • The thicker the steak, the more likely you have to flip it to avoid uneven cooking.
      • If you use a thin enough piece, it will cook evenly all the way throughout without burning one side.
  • Diffuser style is more efficient with heat transfer than injector style​

sb-diff-vs-inj-heztzone.png
    • From my understanding, according to the 2nd law of thermodynamics - heat travels from hot to cold
      • My assumption is by making the herb the 'coldest' part of the system, it would allow for faster extractions and more vapor production at lower temps
      • By using an injector, the air path also has to heat up before reaching the herb.
        • IMO, this is why injectors have to run at hotter temps to compensate for the longer air path

Seamless User Experience​

My goal was to create something that performed well and was easy to use out of the box.

• If the vape is difficult to use, it will prevent non enthusiasts from trying it.​

• I want to offer products that feel refined and complete out of the box so non enthusiasts aren't intimidated to try it.
    • IMO, there is more to a vape than the performance. It needs to perform well and be easy to use.
    • I think the SB should be a replacement to your lighter - all you do is put it on the bowl and inhale.

• Having an airtight seal between the housing and bowl is a necessity​

• One of the biggest challenges was creating an airtight seal without having the housing and bowl seize together from the metal expanding when hot.
    • It took ~8 iterations of the bowl to find the correct tolerances that preventing sticking / seizing when hot
      • The grooves were added to help prevent sticking on the joint and housing
      • bowl-lid-prototypes.jpg
    • After months of testing, I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to have a 100% airtight seal and a 100% seamless connection experience
      • The current version has a 95%+ seal and a 100% seamless connection experience - aka it will never seize on the bowl

• Everything should come as a complete kit - not offered separately​

• When looking for a vape, decision paralysis can be a real thing. I wanted to minimize the amount of options to avoid potential confusion.
    • The starter kit has the bare minimum you need to get going, and the deluxe kit will be offered in the future with more premium accessories.
    • The next goal is to improve the packaging and unboxing experience.

• Removing risk will entice new users to try vaping​

• Beyond the performance, I want to remove all risk new users have from making a purchase.
    • There is a 100 day refund policy - opened or closed
    • There is a lifetime warranty - your broken parts will be replaced if any issues happen
    • There is plans for a loaner program - try a refurbished product before committing to the purchase.
Just out of curiosity, talking about material, I think you said the wired version uses 2.5 gem cut rubies (750) in the assembly - would you also be considering alternative options like 2.5mm Zr02 or Boro for the Tether-less version to increase the Thermal Retention to increase the time between heat ups?
During my testing I used both Zr02 and Boro balls/spheres and I personally wasn't a fan. After all the tests it seemed like Corundum was the clear winner for media material.

After testing different materials, that's when I started testing different shapes (2.5mm, 3mm, and 4mm gem cut rubies).

The 2.5mm round/gem cut rubies have been the clear winner, and I have no intentions of testing anything else at the moment.

Obviously more restrictive airflow with the 2.5mm cut but it can't possibly be as restrictive as something like the zx right? I'm looking for open airflow like the b-0 with 3mm rubies.
One of the main reference points I used throughout the media testing was the BZero with 3mm balls.

While the units were cold, I'd inhale through the BZero housing then the SB housing (with 2.5mm gems) to compare the airflow. IMO the the BZero is slightly more open, but very similar.

From my testing the bowl with herb seemed to be the chokepoint. I wanted the airflow of the SB to feel balanced to the bowl with herb, and kept fine tuning until my desired results were reached :science:

I just read the original story and am curious about why you decided against the 16mm coil injector? Was it airflow?
The 16mm coil injector was tested with 3mm balls and had decent results (similar to the TiTi). I ended up moving towards the diffuser style after this prototype, and that's when I started testing the other shaped gems.

There was also a 16mm diffuser prototype made. I tested this version with 2.5mm gems and the airflow was too restricted. That's when we started to focus on the 25mm diffuser only.

Next Update​

I'm still waiting on a shipping update, and will make a post when I have tracking info.

I've sent out invoices to anyone who has filled out the FC Presale form. I also reopened up the presale for this weekend, and will be closing both the FC form and online presale on this Sunday at 11:59 PST.

My next update will focus on the business side of things - like our business model, supply chain logistics, growth roadmap, etc

Talk soon,
Cal

2pumpchump

Only a day and a half till grand opening I can't wait even though I currently have a Screwball !
Sadly will not be able to use it next week...also I am unsure how active I will be on the FC or any of my other social media sites the next week or so! Personal things!!!! If you feel close enough to ask than DM me . But it's is great working with the FC and even though Cal can be a busy man he has been great to work with as well !!!
Happy grand opening...
Also note @Zuhdj if you scroll back in the tread I showed a j hook with glass beads in it and asked about what people thought of the restrictions of it .... the reason is it has more restricted air than the screwball...

Hope to talk to you ladies and gentlemen soon

2pumpchump

While we wait, which temp gives a similar session to something you might get on a mighty, except better? Video?
Now my opinion of a session is more than 1 minute but that's about the longest video I can upload their I also can't compare the two.
However hear is about 3 or 4 good rips in at 430f and you can see plenty hits left

Last edited:

2pumpchump

What's the fastest non-combusting extraction for a full bowl?
525 to 540f for and 1 or 3 bong rips for not tamping. 3 to 5 for fully tamp I mean packed bowl!! For nice even rost and best fastest full extraction just put heater on bowl and leave it there till your done . That's just my opinion .. I find that's right at combustion.!! If I leave my heater on the bowl combust at 550 and up ! If I go for straight convection 565 starts to scorching top of the bowl just on the first hit ... just my experience with it ..

2pumpchump

Unfortunately I have missed the last few live sessions with Cal preparing for my mom's surgery.. but noticed the timer had reset and no new listing on the site!!!
Doses anyone know more about this???

2pumpchump,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Unfortunately I have missed the last few live sessions with Cal preparing for my mom's surgery.. but noticed the timer had reset and no new listing on the site!!!
Doses anyone know more about this???
Cal mentioned something about the grand opening was shifting here to Q1 next year, I haven't seen a tracking notification for presales yet from anyone however he said they were going out between 13th-30th of this month (or that was the plan)

add1noob

Does anyone know what grade titanium the screwball is made of? I tried searching but didn’t have any luck.

add1noob,

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I already have too many ball vapes but i couldn’t resist jumping of the pre-sale kit. Being a diffuser fan, the way the head and the bowl connect is just too beautiful! Can’t wait to try it out!
Me toooooo. Z8, B0, B2, and I even had a couple others throughout certain points. Couldn't resist! This one seemed to fix all the gripes I had about the b2

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
It’s really fun reading through this thread, all the thinking, testing, explaining and illustrations. I learned a lot and agreed with any other point. The idea to put the holes on the side to prevent dust falling inside the Screwball is genius eg. This was the one and only „negative“ I could complain about. And sadly the wood handle on the bowl broke while „gently“ rattling the bowl out.
This is no critic at all, I‘m loving the Screwball from the first use. Together with my Roor it‘s the vape I like most of all I ever tried.

Every one of my vaping buddies who tried the Screwball felt in love at once too. So I’ll give it to a friend as soon as my kit from the second pre order will arrive.

purplenurple24

I’m definitely excited to find out when these little beauties are working their way through the postal system. The Screwball will be my first ball vape (and first desktop). I was ready to pull the trigger on a B0/B1 before I saw the pre-sale open up on these. I’d already have the B0/B1, but everything I’ve seen about the Screwball makes it seem like it’s gonna be worth the wait.

Hopefully we can get them before Thanksgiving 🤞🏻🤞🏻

@Vapvana Let me know if I can add expedited shipping 😅

purplenurple24

@purplenurple24 congrats on your first desktop! Have you ever hit one prior (ball)?If not, in for a real treat :tup: This will be my first diffuser style try .. stoked:dog:
I’ve never used any ball vapes. I’ve used a Volcano a little bit, but my main vapes for the last several years have been Dynavaps. I’ve had a Crafty and a Firefly 2 before that. Mostly portables. I still love my Dynavaps, but decided to finally hop on the ball vape train. I’m excited!

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
@Vapvana re: diffuser v injector; you're overcomplicating the discussion and oversimplifying your position on the outcome. All that matters is the interaction of the air and the material at interface. You could use a super long injector and run super high temps; if at the point of interface the air mix was at an ideal point for your desired extraction across the material, it will produce the desired results, including low temp deliciousness.

It's sort of like a golf swing, the only thing that actually matters is the physical interaction of the club face and ball at their interfacing point. The idea of a "good swing" is just establishing one particular set of steps some use to achieve a repeatable outcome to the club face/ball interaction. Heck, as a baseball pitcher you have to be able to see that there is more than one way to deliver a strike; none of them are "correct" or "better" in any objective measure.

Timps27,

Pcloudy

Started having some combustion problems the other day. A few weeks back I switched from my dc pid to the stock pid and have been cruising along at 500*, then it decided to combust the other day. I have been checking temps of the coil between the two pids and everything seems alright there. I run the dc at 425ish which puts my coil at about 475 and comparing that to 500 on the stock one puts the coil at about 475-480 for me. Not sure if something weird happened with the coil or the pid to super heat it all of a sudden but I will report back if I have any more issues.

Quick edit: I think the PID might be the problem. I was getting temp swings of 100*f (430-530 at the coil) whereas the DC PID is holding it pretty consistent.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Started having some combustion problems the other day. A few weeks back I switched from my dc pid to the stock pid and have been cruising along at 500*, then it decided to combust the other day. I have been checking temps of the coil between the two pids and everything seems alright there. I run the dc at 425ish which puts my coil at about 475 and comparing that to 500 on the stock one puts the coil at about 475-480 for me. Not sure if something weird happened with the coil or the pid to super heat it all of a sudden but I will report back if I have any more issues.

Quick edit: I think the PID might be the problem. I was getting temp swings of 100*f (430-530 at the coil) whereas the DC PID is holding it pretty consistent.
First, the DC PID probably has an offset, or a temperature that is meant as a proxy for the temp of the bowl, I believe. (one of mine seems to have the offset, another doesn't) I'm not sure what it is, I've seen 80 degrees and 100 degrees. In any case, your DC PID is probably fine.

Are the swings during the hit, or some other time?

coolbreeze,
Top Bottom