The Screwball by Vapvana

.brew

Welp, this is going to be interesting :)

Somewhere around 35+ years ago I transitioned to only glass airpath (albeit smoking) even including ditching lighters in favor of solar hits (magnifying glasses to focus the sun on the bowl), then somewhere around 20ish years ago to vaping with an all glass air path, and I've been using a vapexhale for the better part of the last decade.

So this, assuming it's an upgrade, will be the first upgrade for me in a very long time and also a whole new world with so many different products and theories about how to consume compared to when I was growing up.

coolbreeze

Welp, this is going to be interesting :)

Somewhere around 35+ years ago I transitioned to only glass airpath (albeit smoking) even including ditching lighters in favor of solar hits (magnifying glasses to focus the sun on the bowl), then somewhere around 20ish years ago to vaping with an all glass air path, and I've been using a vapexhale for the better part of the last decade.

So this, assuming it's an upgrade, will be the first upgrade for me in a very long time and also a whole new world with so many different products and theories about how to consume compared to when I was growing up.
Here's a standard glass diffuser bowl that should work with the Screwball; I haven't tested it. You might find a glass concentrate pad, or maybe this ceramic one.

.brew

There’s definitely still Screwballs up for presale. I’m seeing 7 US and 8 International
They keep adding to the amount either to keep stock low or because people are canceling their pre-orders but the number does keep changing each day/hour. It was four yesterday and then two of us said we ordered and it was down to two about an hour ago. Now, as you noticed, it's back up to seven (US).

purplenurple24

They keep adding to the amount either to keep stock low or because people are canceling their pre-orders but the number does keep changing each day/hour. It was four yesterday and then two of us said we ordered and it was down to two about an hour ago. Now, as you noticed, it's back up to seven (US).
You aren’t wrong. I ordered last week when there was one left and another popped up almost immediately.

purplenurple24,

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
it may be a tech workaround thing so they can cut it off easily when the presale is over.

Zuhdj,

2pumpchump

Wow busy tread nowadays
Looks like both are sold out. So that makes pre-sale effectively over. Unless I've missed something....
As of now 10/26 10:00 pm I still see 6 120 kits 7 220 kits ! Do I need to post the link ???????!!!!!
@Zuhdj glad you got 1 reserve ..we can only hope for the Thanksgiving holiday.. I do know they was trying to beat the black Friday rush !!! Just word on the street . I also have heard cal being understanding of money spent on Halloween he is thinking about extending the presale

You aren’t wrong. I ordered last week when there was one left and another popped up almost immediately.
Yes I noticed the same but as kits are being put together for people that ordered Already they are still building them for opening day Trying to get ahead of the game. Unlike some companies, that promised a drop for 2 years. But still cannot find a machine shop that can produce their product once a yfor a limited time drop

Last edited:
2pumpchump,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yes I noticed the same but as kits are being put together for people that ordered Already they are still building them for opening day Trying to get ahead of the game. Unlike some companies, that promised a drop for 2 years. But still cannot find a machine shop that can produce their product once a yfor a limited time drop
I'm really curious as to the additional stuff that's been mentioned before by Vapvana regarding the future Screwball Deluxe Kit and modifications and accessories. One disadvantage of the Presale is that there is no additional replacement mess screens or bowl screens etc

Work on the more advanced accessories for the Deluxe Kit
  • Better lid, stand, glass bowl, mesh screens, etc
  • Collaborations with glass and wood artists

I'm curious what the "better lid" means, does that just mean improved airflow or does the better lid cater for the concept of dabs / concentrates like @BL4zD was asking about, that is a lid modification that has a quartz dish for using concentrates.

I'd prefer a quartz bowl for dabs.

I'm also interested if the glass bowl is going to have the same functionality as the titanium bowl with multiple screen depths for macro vs micro dosing as most places have different bowls for different purposes - similarly to the concept of different "lids" or "caps" for concentrates

VapingYogi,

Vapvana

Manufacturer
@Vapvana Just some feedback:

Just food for thought (we did similar things in our IT start up back in the day).
Thanks for the feedback! :rockon:

Having a background in Customer Service and UI/UX, it's been frustrating not living up to my own standards. :doh:

Unfortunately I've done (IMO) a subpar job with communication, and am still working on getting caught up with all my inboxes. Thanks to everyone who has been patient with my responses so far :bowdown:
When does the presale end? Next Saturday or Sunday? I don't get paid until Friday
Presale is set to end this Sunday, but will most likely be extended until the end of the month / an extra week.

I'd prefer a quartz bowl for dabs.
I'm working on a e-nail system to heat quartz bangers.

I had a 16mm coil sample made with a metal cable (like the DC Cobra coil) - I decided not to move forward with that specific style since the metal cable weakens over time, and I think the user experience can be improved.

More info will be released in the future.
really hope everything goes well with the screwball, i really want to purchase the bowl
Thank you! :rockon:

Hoping to have individual accessories available (bowls, scoops, the heater by itself, etc) by the New Year.

The screwball bowl is larger diameter than most other setups. Maybe the quartz dish that sits on the old head fusion, might actually sit in the screwballs bowl, giving a sort of cold start dab option of sorts (I haven't measured the bowl or the quartz insert, it was just a thought).
I've had some ideas for a 2-in-1 style housing with a SiC dish on top (like the B2).

IMO I don't think it's a great idea trying to combine both products in one device. There may be a prototype made in the future, but no plans as of now.
I finally got in on the presale!!!!! Just in time too. When are they shipping out again? I'm hoping to have it in time for the thanksgiving week off hehe :)
Updates will be made when the logistics are confirmed! If all goes well, I'm hoping to get them in peoples hands before Thanksgiving as well :rockon:

I might be missing something but it said 3 & 8 remaining when I refreshed it just now
I didn't list 100% of the available kits, and I've been manually adding more kits as they sell out. Here is what the inventory currently looks like:

Presale Inventory Status​

Total Kits: 200

Kits Sold / Available:
USA - 33 / 85
INT - 17 / 60
UK - 25 / 25 (Going to rec vape supply)

The extra kits not listed (~30) will be used for giveaways, sent to potential wholesalers, content creators, etc.

Starter Kit Pricing / Discounts​

The presale price is currently discounted at $100 off retail + a 10% off coupon that brings the total from $369 to $242.10

This will be the cheapest the Starter Kit will ever be, and will go up to retail price after the presale is over.

After the presale is over and I have kits in stock, I will run a 20% off holiday sale for the rest of the year, bringing the price from $369 to $295.20

If you participated in the naming contest, you will be sent a 33% off coupon for the grand opening (planning for Q1 2024) that would bring the price from $369 to $247.23

Next Update:​

My plan for the next update is to take a deeper dive into my experience designing my dream vape (the screwball), and some of the decisions/mistakes I've made along the way.

Please let me know if y'all have any questions until then :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus

Having a background in Customer Service and UI/UX, it's been frustrating not living up to my own standards. :doh:

Unfortunately I've done (IMO) a subpar job with communication, and am still working on getting caught up with all my inboxes. Thanks to everyone who has been patient with my responses so far :bowdown:

Presale is set to end this Sunday, but will most likely be extended until the end of the month / an extra week.

I'm working on a e-nail system to heat quartz bangers.

I had a 16mm coil sample made with a metal cable (like the DC Cobra coil) - I decided not to move forward with that specific style since the metal cable weakens over time, and I think the user experience can be improved.

More info will be released in the future.

Thank you! :rockon:

Hoping to have individual accessories available (bowls, scoops, the heater by itself, etc) by the New Year.

I've had some ideas for a 2-in-1 style housing with a SiC dish on top (like the B2).

IMO I don't think it's a great idea trying to combine both products in one device. There may be a prototype made in the future, but no plans as of now.

Updates will be made when the logistics are confirmed! If all goes well, I'm hoping to get them in peoples hands before Thanksgiving as well :rockon:

I didn't list 100% of the available kits, and I've been manually adding more kits as they sell out. Here is what the inventory currently looks like:

Presale Inventory Status​

Total Kits: 200

Kits Sold / Available:
USA - 33 / 85
INT - 17 / 60
UK - 25 / 25 (Going to rec vape supply)

The extra kits not listed (~30) will be used for giveaways, sent to potential wholesalers, content creators, etc.

Starter Kit Pricing / Discounts​

The presale price is currently discounted at $100 off retail + a 10% off coupon that brings the total from $369 to $242.10

This will be the cheapest the Starter Kit will ever be, and will go up to retail price after the presale is over.

After the presale is over and I have kits in stock, I will run a 20% off holiday sale for the rest of the year, bringing the price from $369 to $295.20

If you participated in the naming contest, you will be sent a 33% off coupon for the grand opening (planning for Q1 2024) that would bring the price from $369 to $247.23

Next Update:​

My plan for the next update is to take a deeper dive into my experience designing my dream vape (the screwball), and some of the decisions/mistakes I've made along the way.

Please let me know if y'all have any questions until then :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal
Awesome to hear! I was wanting a diffuser style vape for getting extra toasty and this one came around right at the right time :)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I just want to say, I was in no way intending to criticize you, while I haven't got a response to the message, the TLDR version is that I understand how hard it is being the designer / architect of a solution and trying to herd cats (the manufacturers / venders) to get the product over the line.
Truth is the iterations of the bowl, the housing, the contents of the housing were parts of the reasoning for why the Screwball was my first choice when I was looking to buy a replacement for my Friend Train Pro (which I was never satisfied with).

I found this thread about 2 weeks later and at that time I was able to find the answer to a bunch of my questions, this is actually a great little FAQ that's been built both from your answers and the comments / posts of the people using the Screwball in the wild, which is actually annoyingly good advertising - which is why I suggested having a link - to here - on the contact page.

On a different subject :

Also, I might have just written a bunch of rubbish, but in an Aussie subreddit on ball vapes, I posted about the presale of the Screwball and one of the guys asked me - "What does the Screwball have over the Taroma 360 or the B1?"

I said I honestly didn't know but I think I might have thought of a few reasons :

The Screwball in larger circumference, 26mm I think, and has a larger housing. This allows for more gems and also a larger circumference bowl, having a larger circumference bowl allows for the herbs to be spread more thinly over a larger surface, this allows for a larger surface area of herbs to be in the direct line of the air leaving the housing and the air doesn't have to pernitrate as deep to get all the herbs at the bottom of the bowl. The Screwballs bowl also has a half bowl setting that lifts the screen inside of the bowl up to half way, this means that when you put your herb in the bowl its maintains the distance between the herbs and the housing, even when using a smaller amount of herb, thus allowing for maximum heat transfer from the 750 gems to the material in the bowl.

Last edited:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I am REALLY looking forward to the session capability of this. I LOVE a good hybrid signature too. I've been known to preheat my bowl on the b-2 until the controller reaches a temperature equilibrium again. Usually a minute or two.

coolbreeze

I am REALLY looking forward to the session capability of this. I LOVE a good hybrid signature too. I've been known to preheat my bowl on the b-2 until the controller reaches a temperature equilibrium again. Usually a minute or two.
You're gonna love it, I bet. I haven't really heat-soaked (more injector experience) but I wonder if you can turn down even more?

coolbreeze,
Reactions: TedJones

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I've used both ends of the spectrum I guess. I have Freight Train Pro (convection heavy) and a QaromaShop Taroma 360 (conduction heavy).

The screwball fixed the issues I have with the convection heavy Freight Train Pro by having a huge circumference bowl to allow the herbs to be spread thinly and evenly and because of the adjustable screen they are raised up close to the head of the assembly, these changes remove the need to stir and allow you to use significantly more herb.

I'm curious about the Screwballs conductive capabilities. The sides of the bowl are in contact with the diffuser housing but as the herbs will be on a screen and if your using the screen at the half setting the herbs will be in essence floating in the middle of the bowl which will decrease the surface area for direct conduction into the material more relying on radiant heat.

I think its going to destroy the Freight Train Pro and give me an excuse to give it to someone in need, but I am curious how it will compare to the Taroma 360.

TedJones

Thinking you could get some conduction going with some finer grind, a good tamp, and pre-soak as mentioned above. But yea.. a sprinkle to cover the screen with a bit added on top, some good heat, and a lot of airflow I’d what I’m looking forward to 🌬️💨

TedJones,
Reactions: Vapvana

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Thinking you could get some conduction going with some finer grind, a good tamp, and pre-soak as mentioned above. But yea.. a sprinkle to cover the screen with a bit added on top, some good heat, and a lot of airflow I’d what I’m looking forward to 🌬️💨
Exactly, its going to allow for that micodose to spread evenly over a large surface area for a very quick full extraction.
I don't think there is a better convection heavy system.

I guess when the Freight Train Pro (or flower or fusion) I couldn't ever get that... really physically relaxed state, it was always more excitable, energetic where as the Taroma 360 can bring out that deep relaxation and even a little sedation (which I find hard to achieve with any medication). with the bowl being so large I am hoping that with a presoaked bowl, the radiant heat will have a similar effect. I don't think it will work as well as the T360 for hard / old hash, but that's a edge case really.

VapingYogi,

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
hey will the cap for the housing be different than the early adopter kit? I remember seeing a render for something different but was it ever used?

Zuhdj,

Raskolnikov

That's Cal's advice, specifically relating to our attempts to microdose, which weren't going very...micro. His vids mostly show him doing a massive hit or two off a load, with temps up there. He suggested that we start at 400 and temp step our way up to 450 or so over several hits, no need to stir. Obviously you can stretch this out over time as long as you take the heater off the bowl (it's built for conduction). In my experience you get 5+ good hits off a full bowl (~.35g) with flavor staying pretty nice throughout and big, big cool hits. After playing with it, I just set it to 420 and leave it there. It's really nice. It's also very open and will probably drive your recycler decently.
Definitely not a micro dose device. I've been literally filling the bowl. As much as I possibly can and it still blasts through it.

Sorry little under the weather so been slow start.
Not have said I no better myself for full bowl I leave mine between 415 and 425 I think that mainly the strain.
For half bowl 1 or two hits I run 515 to 540 for me .
Can't wait to try the new bowl
How does half a bowl work? Still as well?

Screwball Bowl + Starter Kit Update​

Overview​

Thanks to everyones patience with my lack of communication! After taking a mental health break, I'm feeling back to 100% and ready to hit it runnin with y'all!

This update focuses on:
  • Updated Bowl Prototype
  • Starter Kit Presale for FC Members
  • The website has new content!

Updated Bowl Prototype​

IMG_8730.jpg

Updates include:
  1. Added groove for 'half sized inserts'
    1. Holds one scoop or ~.1 - .15g of herbs with medium grind
  2. Changed handle threading to 10/24 to be compatible with CH handles
  3. Extended bowl joint to work better with recessed/dewar joints

Screwball Starter Kit Presale Updates​

• The bowl prototype has been approved and production has started for the next round (~200 kits)

• The starter kit is set to retail for $369 with a $100 off for all presale orders
    • FC Members will be given an additional 10% off bringing the total to $242.10
  • ~26 kits were listed on the website yesterday and are almost sold out at the time of writing this
    • Thank you to FC members who already pulled the trigger to support!

Presale Spots For FC Members​

I've set aside ~30 kits specifically for FC members. To reserve your kit please fill out our online form here: vapvana.com/pages/fc-screwball-presale

Invoices will be manually sent upon completion until the reserved kits run out.

Thanks for giving us a shot!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet - but all purchases come with a 100 day guarantee and lifetime warranty.

If you aren't satisfied with the Screwball just let us know within a 100 days of receiving it and you'll get a full refund, no questions asked. :tup:

Don't forget about our tetherless version coming soon... :D

From my experience so far, this is how I've been using the Screwball:
  • Full bowl packs (.3g-4g) for session style vaping at low temps (420f to 470f)
  • Half bowl packs (.1g-.15g) for one hot extractions at higher temps (500f to 550f)
Stirring is optional / not recommended IMO.

Hoping the new bowl addresses the issue for people with lower tolerances!

Everyone who has received an early adopters kit will receive the updated bowls once they touchdown in 4-6 weeks (hopefully!)

Closing Thoughts​

Thanks again for everyones patience and support so far! This has been one of the most rewarding and challenging projects I've ever taken on, and it wouldn't be possible without this community.

I'm working on going through my messages and getting back to everyone. I apologize if you're still waiting to hear back from me. I hope to be all caught up by the end of this month (including some contest prizes I haven't sent out yet :()

More updates coming soon! Please reach out if you need anything :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal
Cheers for the update Cal. I hope the new bowl holds the gauze better a lip, any improvement really. My only complaint is the gauze comes out too easily and think you should get more with it or sell them in 50s or something.

I assume my dyna tip and stem will be included. How much is the postage to UK?

A link to the FC might be a good Ida as even with cv19 I still hear at 1one a week.. and I know other members will gladly offer any help we can .
I would certainly agree that Cal getting back to you is a rarity unless I'm different to everyone else.

Mods can you merge please. First time on in a while.

2pumpchump

@Raskolnikov I currently do not have the new bowl yet I am just using a spacer for the half bowl!!! I will update you guys as soon as o have the new bowl in hand .but seams to work very well
I fully agree Cal a busy man to catch but being understanding to the 1 person can only do so much so fast in so many places .. do my best to try to help this Community updated

Raskolnikov

@Raskolnikov I currently do not have the new bowl yet I am just using a spacer for the half bowl!!! I will update you guys as soon as o have the new bowl in hand .but seams to work very well
I fully agree Cal a busy man to catch but being understanding to the 1 person can only do so much so fast in so many places .. do my best to try to help this Community updated
Thanks for answering Necra.
I completely understand why Cal is hard to get hold of, he must be a very busy man. No qualms at all, I know I will get my prize with the updates.
Main thing is I'm still loving my Screwball. Gets me more stoned than I've ever been off of flower and tbh I'd rather have a longer bowl if it was possible as I pack in as much as possible and the Screwball just laughs and blasts through it. Had really good results with quality hash and hemp cotton too so I'm a very happy customer and a good few people I know are buying them from RVS. It's going to be a rather popular product when it's released fully and I'm glad I got the early adopters kit. Just hope there is something nice on opening day for my third off code.

Last edited:

purplenurple24

If people are having a hard time getting ahold of Cal and they have simple questions, I’d recommend following Vapvana on Instagram. I’ve only been following for a week or so, but I’ve seen him do 3 or 4 live Q&A sessions and he answers people’s questions in the comments.

Just a random thought. Hopefully it’s useful for somebody.

Top Bottom