The recipe box, with pics!

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Well, I took the leap and made my canna butter. The crock pot method worked very well for me. I havent had a chance to make the brownies yet; that will be today.

I did, however, make the dulce. I had a little trouble getting it to thicken to the right consistency; I think I was simmering at too low a heat for the majority of the cooking process. It did finally thicken after an extra hour of cooking and the end product is very tasty. Unfortunately, it is not very strong, which doesn't give me much hope for the butter. Could it be that because of the increased cooking time (at a higher heat) the THC was cooked out?

In the future, I think I will wait until I have more AVB. I only had a jam jar full (approx. 1 1/2 cups; I don't have a scale) to two sticks of butter. I don't think the concentration was strong enough.

On another note, there is a great brownie mix, made by Dassant (Truffle Brownie Mix). It is a dark chocolate flavor, with chucks of dark chocolate in it. I think it will be perfect for canna brownies, as it's got a really rich chocolate flavor. It uses 1 stick of butter, so the brownies could potentially be pretty strong (providing you have strong canna butter). It is a little hard to find. I've only found it at Amazon and occasionally at my local Big Lots, but way worth it. They also have several other mixes, but this is the one that appeals to me the most for canna butter.

momofthegoons,

indigal

Amongst the corn
No- the heat you subjected it to will not destroy it- you're not getting it up that high. The dulce will be a lot less strong than the cannabutter since you are just scavanging the leftovers out of the material.. I have not made mine with ABV yet, only fresh bud and I used about 2C of fresh bud & trim last time.. to one & 1/2 sticks butter. Considering the swamp water I made with abv was fairly mild- it'd guess using 3-4x ABV in comparison to fresh may be closer to a potent mix. I think you may still have a good effect from that butter- don't discount it yet! :) - the crazy stupid strong stuff I made would give you a good noticeable effect at 1/8 tsp (not a joke) and the dulce would give you near the same at a bit over a tsp- just for comparison's sake.. so you can see the dulce is a lot milder..

I loooove the dassant brownie mix but can't find it anymore in the stores around me, used to get it at super-target. I looked into ordering it, but really don't need a CASE of brownie mixes :/ !! It's better than I can make from scratch. That was used for those pirate brownies- and yes- the flavor is perfect for cannabutter!! :) Aaagh, I want some now.. I think I need a canna-truffle now.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
momofthegoons said:
Well, I took the leap and made my canna butter. The crock pot method worked very well for me.
In the future, I think I will wait until I have more AVB. I only had a jam jar full (approx. 1 1/2 cups; I don't have a scale) to two sticks of butter. I don't think the concentration was strong enough.
How was the straining? Did the ABV strain out ok- that's a concern of mine since it's so crumbly..

indigal,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
How was the straining? Did the ABV strain out ok- that's a concern of mine since it's so crumbly..
I used a 70% cotton/30% poly sock I had to strain with, rather than a nylon type. I figured it would be more like the hops sock they use for brewing beer. It worked really well for straining. The canna butter water was pretty dank, but the butter doesn't appear to have any residue in it. And the sock held up really well for the dulce squeezing :) Since I only have the other one from the pair for next time, I might look at the dollar store for some similar ones to work with in the future.

The dulce did have some effect. It was just real mild and mellow. I'm sure the brownies will be a bit more potent, as you said. I should have butter left over, hopefully enough to make the truffles. Those look too darn good. Could be trouble :ko:

By the way, at Amazon, they sell the mixes in packages of six mixes; not too bad. Usually, they run around $17/6 mixes.

momofthegoons,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I can see it now.... Women of FC pitching in to split cases of brownie mix. LMAO!!

You guys made me crave chocolate and I've been SO good. Pass me a brownie please :D LOL

Mom, I'm excited you tried Indi's dolce recipe. I've wanted to for awhile but have been trying to avoid the sweets. Hope those brownies are wonderful!!!

Lo,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Made the brownie mix this morning. I opted to make cookies instead of brownies because I thought they would hold up better in the freezer. They have a recipe on the box; only difference is 1 egg instead of 2. I ended up with 24 cookies. One broke when putting them on the wire rack and without even thinking I popped the pieces in my mouth, then thought, oh shit :uhoh: . Two and a half hours later, I'm happy to say no white knuckles! A real nice buzz, much stronger than the dulce and longer lasting. The dulce wore off rather quickly, but I'm still feeling great from the cookie and it's a more intense feeling than from vaping. These are the exact strength I was hoping for, so I'm really happy. I haven't done edibles for about 20 years and was a little nervous about the strength. Using ABV looks to be the right fit for me , for a start at least. ;)

momofthegoons,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Fear420, thanks for this link. A lot of great info and recipes in here. Have you got some personal favorites?

momofthegoons,

indigal

Amongst the corn
momofthegoons said:
Made the brownie mix this morning. I opted to make cookies instead of brownies because I thought they would hold up better in the freezer. They have a recipe on the box; only difference is 1 egg instead of 2. I ended up with 24 cookies. One broke when putting them on the wire rack and without even thinking I popped the pieces in my mouth, then thought, oh shit :uhoh: . Two and a half hours later, I'm happy to say no white knuckles! A real nice buzz, much stronger than the dulce and longer lasting. The dulce wore off rather quickly, but I'm still feeling great from the cookie and it's a more intense feeling than from vaping. These are the exact strength I was hoping for, so I'm really happy. I haven't done edibles for about 20 years and was a little nervous about the strength. Using ABV looks to be the right fit for me , for a start at least. ;)
I'm really happy it worked for you! :)
The dulce can prob be used in greater amounts, like as a topping for ice cream, or something along those lines to get a big enough dose to feel it.. Either way, it's tasty!

Have fun!

indigal,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Sorry no Pics,....
Thanks DevoTheStrange for the idea...

I took my sticky used Zephyr Ion bag and used it to cook a small chicken, some potato, carrots garlic and onion....I added a bit of Vodka to help the oils separate from the bag and it seemed to do the trick. The chicken didn't have much noticeable flavor change but the potatoes sure did. Perhaps it was more surface area or how porous one food is over the other.

BOOYAAAA!!!! Man what a great flavor,.. savory and yum! I am pretty certain it also got me lit as I don't remember going to bed but I woke up with potato and chicken in my beard.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Lo

Fuck Bruce! Now I need a bag blower to cook a chicken! Sounds yummy!

If I ever do look into a bag blower you know I'll look at the Ion of course lol ;)

Lo,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Can anyone tell me what the smell is like when making the butter w/ ABV? Is there a distinct herb scent, or could it be confused for something else? I have close to an ounce of ABV to use, however my roommates don't want the place smelling bad all day. Any input will be much appreciated.

AgentofChaos,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Speaking from my personal experience, my house was pretty smelly.

If it's a warm day and you can open some windows, it would be better I would imagine, but my house was closed up and even a heavily scented candle didn't disguise the smell. I wouldn't consider the smell "bad" but it was definitely very herbal. :)

momofthegoons,

Lo

I'll 2nd Mom's opinion. The smell is quite strong although not everyone would recognize it ;) Very aromatic.

Lo,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
momofthegoons said:
Speaking from my personal experience, my house was pretty smelly.

If it's a warm day and you can open some windows, it would be better I would imagine, but my house was closed up and even a heavily scented candle didn't disguise the smell. I wouldn't consider the smell "bad" but it was definitely very herbal. :)
hmmm interesting...thanks for the info! it will be 70ish and sunny over the weekend in chicago so i think if i open all the windows and turn on all the fans, the smell should dissipate in a few hours. I also plan to burn some popcorn after as well, should help mask any remaining scent.

AgentofChaos,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Good luck. :) If you follow the above method, you should have success. Any strong food smell afterwards should be very helpful. Are you baking with it too? If so, be sure to share your recipe/experience.

momofthegoons,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Thanks :D I am planning on baking with it, however I cannot think of what to make! The possibilities are almost endless! Any suggestions? I was leaning towards blueberry muffins or chocolate chip cookies...I am a single 26 yr old guy so I'm afraid I am a bit of a novice when it comes to baking.

AgentofChaos,

Flyer

agent, anything just start, for us the smell was not too bad , not liked burning it, my newest fear is trying not to eat so many cookies, whew, had to fake taking a kneee during a one day eatting cookie season, fun.

Flyer,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I took a different approach to making my canna butter this time. Instead of the water/crockpot method, I used a double boiler method. Since I didn't have a double boiler, I used a pot with about 2 inches of boiling water and a heat resistant bowl on top. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. I added about 1/2 - 2/3 of a quart mason jar full of ABV to 2 sticks of melted butter (there was very little liquid left after adding the ABV) and covered it with tin foil and a plate for pressure. Putting a top on the pot really reduced the smell in the house. I turned the pot down to simmer and let it sit for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

I then took the ABV "mush" out and strained it. For this, I used two fine, metal strainers spooned together and sort of pushed on the ABV to get the butter out. No coffee filter was necessary. I ended up with 1 cup of very dark brownish green canna butter that I added to a package of Dasante Truffle Brownie mix.

These brownies were much stronger (twice) than the ones I made previously in this thread, using the water method and the same mix and grade of herb. It was also a lot less hassle since you didn't have to wait for the butter to harden and then get rid of the water. You could use it right away. So, for me, this method is the one I like the most.

momofthegoons,

GreenLeaf

I have made these before.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_recipe7.shtml

They taste nasty to me but they do work if you make them correctly. There's no need for butter if you just use cheese. I did not use whole plant flowers like the link suggests but instead I had cleaned them and cut them into small pieces like you would for rolling a J. I also did not put the plant material on top of the cheese like the recipe suggests I put the plant material underneath the cheese.

AFAIK these do not smell if you make them in your kitchen microwave or oven.

Be careful not to eat too many by accident. I did that the one time I made them and it was not fun.

Some people like making what are called Firecrackers and instead of cheese you just use peanutbutter or Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread.

GreenLeaf,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I am wondering if anyone has cooked with kief here. I was thinking of trying to make indigal's truffles with some, but don't want to waste if it's not a good idea. If you are out there indigal, what's your opinion? Have you done any cooking with kief?

momofthegoons,
Top Bottom