Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Look at how deep seated this stem gets, no visible reveal above glass female. I'm going to go through all stems and separate tight fits.

While we're talking stems, I have 4 coming from Alan, 2 short, 2 shorter. I'll post pics. I'm sure I'll have next week.
69KEMEn.jpg

Last edited:

virtualpurple

@Bravesst what was the turnaround time on your stems from Alan? I'm thinking I'd like a few slide-a-bowls from him.

I, in the meantime, have swapped over from my stock stems to the planetvape stem with a 14mm male joint for the mouthpiece. It's a shorty.

I am liking it because it allows me to pair my milaana up with my 14 mm f-bomb hydratube effortlessly. And it works great dry as well. It also uses the planetvape screens with the lip on them that resemble extreme q screens.

Does anyone else use these stems? Although I like mine it doesn't get the load anywhere near the heater because there is a decent gap between the joint gets stopped in the female glass when inserted. It definitely doesn't reach as close to the heater as my stock stems. Is this by design or was my joint not cut properly?

I really enjoy using it but I'm wondering if I could get away with less pre-heating if it were closer to the heater.

ZC

For me Alan's turnaround was about a week. He tends to do them in batches though so it probably won't be the same turnaround every time.

The slide a bowls might be faster or even immediately available though, you should ask him about what he's got on hand.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Right now I'm trying to justify if I should purchase the Milaana or not. Out of my collection, which vape would it be most similar to in terms of taste and the potency?

I shouldn't really offer comment on vapes I've not used, but from what I've read your Supreme and Brick would be the closest to the Milaana.

FWIW, I prefer my Mi to my Grasshopper (better taste, more satisfying operation, cooler even with short stem).
The GH is stealthier, but not by a huge margin.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Bravesst what was the turnaround time on your stems from Alan? I'm thinking I'd like a few slide-a-bowls from him.

I, in the meantime, have swapped over from my stock stems to the planetvape stem with a 14mm male joint for the mouthpiece. It's a shorty.

I am liking it because it allows me to pair my milaana up with my 14 mm f-bomb hydratube effortlessly. And it works great dry as well. It also uses the planetvape screens with the lip on them that resemble extreme q screens.

Does anyone else use these stems? Although I like mine it doesn't get the load anywhere near the heater because there is a decent gap between the joint gets stopped in the female glass when inserted. It definitely doesn't reach as close to the heater as my stock stems. Is this by design or was my joint not cut properly?

I really enjoy using it but I'm wondering if I could get away with less pre-heating if it were closer to the heater.

That was by design, so the metal rim of those basket screens doesn't touch the heater screen. Person or a fan of those kind of screens myself, I prefer a basket inside the stem with a slight glass rim, close to the heater and secure in the glass not too shallow.

Right now I'm trying to justify if I should purchase the Milaana or not. Out of my collection, which vape would it be most similar to in terms of taste and the potency?

Dont know your collection (can't see signature on mobile, remember some of yours though), but yeah full bodied pure convection on demand signature is more akin to DaisyBrick (full power analog style though nothing quite like the torch), it can hold its own with a Cloud Evo (but more LSV like) and trounces Grasshopper overall in my experience, though Zion and its regulation is more capable vs those units, I find Milaana size and simplicity can compensate. In short, for taste and potency Mi is tippy top tier, most of us here agree

Last edited:

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

I have pretty much all of the vapes in your sig more or less so I will answer. YES top potency and not quite on flavor but really close. The Milaana will match the Evo in potency and beat your other portables by far. The SV3 and Brick (my Brick is a Daisy) Produce slightly bigger clouds (more potency too) than the Mi but have similar flavor. The Evo and the Mighty both have better flavor IMO but the Evo has a cord and the Milaana has more potency than the Mighty. So in each case you are giving up something, that's why we end us with VaS, there is no p[erfect vape. But the Milaana will surely find a place in your rotation. Today I have the Mighty, Vapcap, and Milaana in the car and they will all get used! Tonight, Enail, Liger and a sapphire insert + the Evo and supreme 3 for flower. Maybe the Lotus too since it just got a new herat plate last night!! I like a variety

So really you may be able to get rid of the CFX on the classifieds and get the Mi to complete your collection because it seems the only thing the CFX does better it heat up time vs the Mighty right? (I may be wrong, this may be your favorite vape, it's the only one I do not have in your sig)

Has anyone gotten a top hat and M2M to try yet ??

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer

Sorry missed that question. About a week or so.

Bravesst,

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
I had gone 50 or 60 bowls w/ out combusting, but messed up Sat night (not drinking) and again sometime on Sunday. Always a combo of trying to extract fully, stirring and tamping, sucking hard too early, holding the button too long and already having a slight char.

Early on I was definitely holding the button too long as a general rule. Probably overthinking and too much referring to early posts on techniques when units were a little cooler.

Getting it down now though and amazed at how long the flavor lasts. Still need to improve on getting bigger hits and reducing char/browning on early hits. Will come with added experience.

Question: an someone post a pic of the PVFS stems? They don't seem to have one on the website. Thnx

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
It always takes me a while to get around to trying out tips mentioned in this thread. This time it was an unground nug.

I can report it works as advertised. Pretty perfect extraction of a nug the size of the bowl just kind of pressed in. Turn over after 4 or so draws, then smash up for final few draws (either in bowl with dowel stir stick or by removing and crushing in hand).

Very easy and very good option. I will probably continue to grind but it is a great option to have available and again, speaks to the Mi's versatility.

Also, not many people mention the hemp bag which comes with the Mi. I love it. I can store the mi and stem, or the mi and battery case, or all three easily and unobtrusively as it doesn't have 'Vape advertising slogan' written in bold text across it like so many other bags that come with a vape do.

You can also use the Milaana with the short stem whilst it is INSIDE the hemp bag for extra stealth. It would kind of look like you are eating something out of the bag, like grabbing a bit of licorice with your teeth from the bag. Then you pull the drawstring tight around the stem and set it down, ready for next hit.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The other night I thought about the bag too. Let's pause for a minute.... a Hemp bag! That's quite a symbol! It almost looks common, might be even just a detail for some, but it's a reminder of the Plant glorious past, of all the madness and stupidity around it that we had to endure, all this wasted potential...

Our ancestral companion. And it's still there, nurturing our Milaanas and creating a soft cocoon to protect them... :leaf:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Just sent $$$ to @Alan for 4 of the coolest mi stems you've ever seen. Had to unload my last piece of conduction, not on demand to handle it.

My entire arsenal is on demand convection wood and glass, and will probably stay that way for a while.

KEEPING IT SIMPLE
4 Milaanas, lots of batts, chargers, short stems
1 SBJ, 2 lighters, some extra glass
All bases covered.

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Oh yea, I pretty much gave up on using it through water. Just tired of using all the iso on cleaning up. I tried using a light and vaping in the dark, but to me the visual cue of vapor is pretty much too late... not necessarily for combustion, but over charring and not even getting the huge milky goodness that might make that browning on the first hit acceptable.

b0

Cloudy...
Dude I just arrive to UK from my holidays and of all the vaporizers on my signature you know wich one I'm using right? :rockon:

I love this vape, it keeps getting better and better with use...

This days I have been wondering about a werid stain in the screen inside the vaporizer. It arrived like that but has been working flawlesly (sometimes I think it can be running a bit colder because of some comentaries here but not sure about that yet, need more testing) all this time:

L8Koojb.jpg

Is that black stain in the screen something normal?

Dude I just arrive to UK from my holidays and of all the vaporizers on my signature you know wich one I'm using right? :rockon:

I love this vape, it keeps getting better and better with use...

This days I have been wondering about a werid stain in the screen inside the vaporizer. It arrived like that but has been working flawlesly (sometimes I think it can be running a bit colder because of some comentaries here but not sure about that yet, need more testing) all this time:

L8Koojb.jpg

Is that black stain in the screen something normal?
Looks like maybe glue dripped down on the screen. Definitely not normal.

Last edited:

GTAVaper

@shaolinmilk

Check out my signature and you will see that I have quite a few of the same vapes that you have.
First of all, the Milaana comes nowhere near the Supreme in vapour quality or quantity....but then again nothing else does either - with the closest to the Supreme being a SB or Daisy through water (I exclusively use my SB through water - check that thread for a pic of my whip connector).

Although people are comparing it to the Daisy/Sticky Brick - I don't believe that it is anywhere near. The SB is much easier to get high volume clouds and although some people say they get a woody taste from it - through water I haven't experienced this woody signature.

Although of all the vapes in your signature it probably is the closest to the Brick - but don't expect anywhere near the same level of instant performance or nearly as dense clouds (at least without risking charring and combustion). With the Brick - when you think that you might have combusted due to the density of the vapour and then you go look and see green as a pleasant surprise - that is not going to happen with the Milaana.

With the Milaana, you will be thinking that you are further away from combustion (when it does happen) than you are..... but then all of a sudden you misjudge the post button rate of heat climb - or are taking a second hit on a load - and surprise, surprise - you are breathing smoke. It is much easier to misjudge a combustion point with the Milaana than with the Brick and you won't get anywhere near the same vapour density with the Milaana as with the Brick.

It doesn't provide as good vapour as you can get if you take the time to mod an Apollo properly or perform in a regulated and consistent fashion like the Apollo. But where it has the Apollo beat is in the short time to get vapour. At least until I try a 50W bulb and if I can get to vapour in the reported 40 seconds - in that case the additional 25-30 seconds of time for a 50W bulb Apollo (when used indoors) would be preferable to me for both a better vapour quality and more regulated experience than using the Milaana. But with a 4 minute heatup time I often grab my Milaana over my APollo - unless I am with a group and then hands down I am grabbing the Apollo - even with the 4 minute heatup/heatsoak period.

But if you don't have either the Apollo or the Milaana then I would say that the Milaana gives you much better bang for the buck simply because it is a lot cheaper than the Apollo and the vapour quality is still very good - and although the Apollo does taste better (even discernible through water) it also makes less of a difference when going through water (as I use my vapes) than through direct draw usage. You might notice the tastier and more consistently regulated in temperature clouds of an Apollo better through direct draw usage. With my long stem mods the temperature of the vapour is pretty much equal between the two vapes - although the Apollo vapour does start out hotter (and stays hotter) if you are using a standard Apollo setup without mods to the unit.

With the Milaana, a huge benefit is the speed of extraction. Nowhere near the instant on of a Sticky Brick/Daisy but still faster than anything else except the Grasshopper with it's 5 second, worry free heat up and hit it usage. On a fresh battery you are there in under 10 seconds and towards the middle to end of the battery you can get there in 20 to 30 seconds. Anymore than that and it is definitely time to switch out batteries. But then again, I think that I have a cooler unit which might help avoid combustion better - but will also require more button time - especially when the batteries are no longer fresh.

With respect to the Grasshopper, since I use it exclusively through water - the Grasshopper performs better and more consistently for me than the Milaana. I have it on temp 5 and just rip till the load is done......far more easier than the Milaana - and quicker. For me the speed of loading and usage is pretty comparable to the Grasshopper - especially since no stirring of the load is required in the GH.

However, from all that I've heard from those who primarily use the Milaana in a direct draw manner - the Milaana outperforms the Grasshopper with respect to lower temperature vapour as well as tastier vapour......although there are fans of the Grasshopper who also rave about the flavour.

Through water though, there is not that distinct a difference in vapour quality between the Milaana and GH - certainly nowhere near the difference that you can taste with using the Supreme V3, SB and Apollo through water and IMHO the worry free use of the Grasshopper is preferable to me through water.

I will actually load up both vapes and alternate before reloading both of them again for the next round.

In your line up, where the Milaana would excel is if you want an on-demand battery powered convection portable that you are going to be primarily using for personal use and not passing around - due to the learning curve required for extraction without combustion as well as the huge PITA factor of cleaning out a combusted stem load.

If you are going to be passing a vape around then your Mighty will provide pretty decent conduction/convection mix of quality vapour that is although not as tasty as the Milaana vapour is pretty much idiot proof and no problem to just pass around in a circle until the large bowl is spent.

In this mode of use the Mighty will perform much better than the Milaana for you. That is not to say that the Milaana would not provide superior and tastier convection based vapour but that it is not nearly as well suited as the Mighty for group session usage.....especially through direct draw.

But at home, through visual cues, I can control my Milaana through water for other people to use and since it is a lot quicker than the Mighty - it has an advantage for quick on demand hits. But still nowhere near the instant on and higher vapour quality performance of a Daisy/SB through water....and far away from the "king of vapes" - the Supreme V3.....which although it does require 45secs on a torch will blow every other vaporizer away that I own with respect to vapour quality and volume.....at any temperature of extraction you want.

Comparing it to the Underdog, the UD will provide a similar quality of vapour but in a much more consistent manner - so if you are going for lower temperature extraction your extracted vapour fraction will be much more consistent to your set preference since it is regulated with a VVPS and for small loads (SS Underdog NonG stems).

The UD, if you have it heated up for the evening, will perform with instant and mostly worry free regulated convection using a VVPS and can't be beat for on-demand "one or two full bubbler chamber" hitters.

So I would say that with the SB/Daisy and Supreme that have in your line up that for home usage (especially through water) a Milaana won't provide with a better experience than what you already experience. But if you are looking for another vape for personal portable usage then I would say that the Milaana WILL serve a niche in your lineup.

Although more a fan of some vapes over others, I still am a fan of the Milaana - however, I recognize that different vaporizer excel in different situations as this post has pointed out.

I would never advise you to dump the lineup you have and keep only the Milaana because you already have vapes that perform much better than the Milaana.

However, if your usage fits any of the scenarios described where I've pointed out that the Milaana excels - then yes, I would say go buy a Milaana - if you put in the time to get proficient with it you will be very happy with having it in your collection. But you will also realize that it is not a be all and end all vaporizer and that vapes that you already own WILL outperform it.

It is a great vape.......AND one of my favourites. Although, I know my Apollo performs better, quite often I find myself reaching for my Milaana (or my Grasshopper if it is handier) over my Apollo simply due to the speed of extraction. However, with my recent acquisition of my Sticky Brick, my Milaana is not getting the love that it used to get since the Brick performs both faster and provides better quality vapour.

However, if I was going over to a friends for the evening, or an outing, I would probably bring both the Milaana and Grasshopper with me as well as a small beaker bubbler over the choice of an Apollo, Brick or Supreme V3. The Apollo carries too much heat to be a true portable and the Brick and the Supreme V3 both require a strong torch flame which is noisy in public or even when using them at someone else's place.

If I was going somewhere out in public and couldn't bring a bubbler with me then I would hands down bring the Mighty along and leave everything else at home - including the much stealthier Grasshopper - unless I had a microbubbler, Mighty cooling unit, PNWT, Aquavape bubbler or even a nice long piece of silicone tubing to attach to the Grasshopper......as for me, using it natively is not an option. I would much rather use the Milaana for direct draw over the Grasshopper but feel that the Mighty still has cooler vapour than the Milaana if the vapour is not treated in any way......and is MUCH friendlier for group session usage.

I hope this helps you make a decision.....as I said, if any of the usage scenarios that I've described is one that you have a niche for then you can't go wrong with the Milaana. It is an awesome vaporizer.

Last edited:

ZC

@Bravesst Let's see the pics of those new Alan stems!

I got another one on the way too and it looks amazing.

EDIT: Here's my new @Alan stem on the way:

yfqRLJm.jpg

14mm glass, 18mm wood. I wanted this because I love my other wood roasting tubes and I wanted to use them with water. THe nicest thing about this is that I can also use it as a gong for my Logs.

I can also slide the wood higher away from the glass joint and use a bigger basket screen or @DDave's rimmed basket screens, or I can use the smaller diameter ones it's made for. There are a ton of different ways to use this one tube.

@b0
Doesn't look like glue to me, and it seems unlikely or impossible that glue would get there in production. The only glue near the airpath is on the very top opposite of the heat intake. You can see clearly even in that picutre that it's not dripping anywhere, just a clean white band around the glass. If this glue were to drip, it would have to go a full 2 inches down, go around to the inside of the glass, and come up an inch before it hit the screen. That isn't happening.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Looks like maybe glue dripped down on the screen. Definitely not normal.

Damn, I'm gonna stop using it and send an email to planetvape :bang:

Looks like a char mark to me, perhaps from production burn in or a stain. If it was glue you would know and taste it, but there is not glue there. I'm sure it is safe as my original beta had a similar stain from concentrate use before I got it, but if you want to be sure then yeah send it in or at least ask via the web form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom