Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippogriff

Sent my super cold Milaana in for service on 7/27...no word back yet. I kinda miss the ole girl, Mighty and Lotus have been tag teaming in the mean time. Damn that Lotus kicks my ass too but I miss the ease of the Mi. Can someone else who has sent theirs in for warranty issues let me know how long it took them? Day 18 and no word back doesn't seem like good news on a vape with very few actual parts? There are only 2 real possibilities. The heater was defective or the heater wasn't getting enough juice. Either way seems like it would be a quick swap. Do you think it's possible that RBT is backed up with warranty issues?
I'm in the same place, sent in about the same time, even misplaced my usps receipt so I can't check to make sure Pascal made it there. Seems like 2 weeks is the fastest turnaround, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect it in the third week, but also it's still pretty random.

I like my Mi so much I sold my other vapes (Grasshopper & FW3) so I knew sending it in I wanted a t-break outside of my control. Has anyone else experienced this? The Milaana effects are just right in that sweet spot, so much that I'm vaping less to maximize the perspective-shifting benefits. Really hits the reset on my anxiety, so now I'm on an extended t-break, hoping when it ends I'll have a fully updated Mi and a ddave kit to welcome me back.

My best session ever, consistent herb distance of 1/8. I'm getting optimal extraction and taste.
@Bravesst, have you shared a picture of a packed stem yet? I could use the reference, thanks.

DocGonzo

My warranty repair took about two and a half weeks to get back to me. I didn't receive a tracking number at first when it shipped back, but was given one a day or two later. May be worth emailing just to check if it's already in the mail if it's been three weeks or more.

Being much more cautious with my Mi since I got it back and I really am enjoying it. Not sure if I prefer short of long yet, but I'm leaning a bit toward long. I just seem to pull slightly bigger clouds that way, although I do have a bit less of an intuitive control on the heat being further away.

I think my unit may run a tiny bit cooler than some poster's. I feel like I have to warm it up with a preheat and a couple short draws before it really starts pumping out the vapor. Once it's in the groove, though it's hard to compete with. Very pleased.

Can someone else who has sent theirs in for warranty issues let me know how long it took them? Day 18 and no word back doesn't seem like good news on a vape with very few actual parts?

I was first RMA. Mine took well over a month, thought things had improved since but it sounds like he may be backed up? Drop him a line dude, maybe you slipped between the cracks.

Keep us updated

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
First impressions after about a dozen stems or so:

Thing gets you blasted... for sure. I think I'm a little afraid of combusting so I might be pulling my punches a little bit, especially through water. It hits pretty hard though.

My vape history is Arizer Air in Dec as my 1st real vape, and then got an eNano a few months ago. Love both but looking for quicker extraction on the go and less of the constant cooking with the convection. Hence my choice here with the Mi.

I'm not gettting the be all end all vibe some are in here. Another hope with this purchase was to get some stubborn combusters on board with a less savage form of consumption, but I'm a little less optimistic about it than I was. Maybe it's the inconsistency of the unregulated power, IDK.

Also, definitely had some smoke and glue smell (or something chemically) after holding the button 4-5 secs before my first stem. Smell even lingered after a bowl through each stem (short, long, gong) but seems to have subsided now.

I'm usually kind of down on my vapes when I first get them so hopefully this will grow on me some more as I learn it a little better.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm betting your appreciation of the vape will increase with use. Those who don't fall in love right a way often do so after a week or two. Not everyone, just most users (who post here).

I rarely use anything anymore other than my Milaana and my Zion. I still love my Lotus and my OG Vapcap, but they get much less attention. I haven't fired up the HA in months now, but that is probably as much due to the cord as to the power and speed of my RBT vapes... ;(

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
How are you guys manually inserting/configuring screens in GonGs? I've got one of the ExtremeQ rimmed screens shoved in there for now. Feels like it might be too small though. It's probably half the volume of the stock setting on the short stem I got.

I combusted a tiny bit with the long stem. Definitely more difficult to gauge the heat of the chamber with less feedback.

beiberhole69,
Reactions: whatitdew

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Nice new Milaana review by Namaste.
Couple mistakes tho, and one is kinda funny.

First, he mentions a 14MM stem. It is actually an 18mm stem with a US joint (22mm joint length).

The second is how he loads the Mi. Namaste just drops the goods into the female joint. This might work OK if you sucked the goods out of the joint into the stem before beginning, but it is MUCH better to load the stem first before putting it in the Milaana. I do that by suck loading it from my Jyarz, but it can be loaded with fingers or spoon, of course, if you prefer that. Dropping goods into the joint like Namaste did may lead to goods getting ground into the heater screen by the edge of the stem which would be bad over time, so always load the stem first.

And LOVE the Lava Lamp. I'm sure I have one somewhere in storage boxes... :)

Last edited:

waxdab23

Try as I do I still have tiny flakes around the edges of the heater screen and it seems nothing I do will ever get them out (I can pick at it with something sharp but it kinda just flakes apart)

Still vaping great though :)

I had a couple flakes in there as well. @stickstones suggested I run the heater for about 10 seconds to burn them off. Worked like a charm.

DocGonzo

I think I'm getting a lot less bowls than the average on a battery charge. With the green Samsung that came with the Mi I get better results than the yellow LGs I have, but I only seem to get 2 loads per charge. They're getting down near 3.6v, so it's not like I'm just pulling them extra early. Just a consequence of the cooler heater, maybe? I'm going to get some Sony VTC5s and see how those do.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think I'm getting a lot less bowls than the average on a battery charge. With the green Samsung that came with the Mi I get better results than the yellow LGs I have, but I only seem to get 2 loads per charge. They're getting down near 3.6v, so it's not like I'm just pulling them extra early. Just a consequence of the cooler heater, maybe? I'm going to get some Sony VTC5s and see how those do.

Sounds like weak batteries, I'd be surprised if your heater really was much cooler if at all, could be draw speed, other factors... Good luck

And yeah seems like Namaste didnt read the instructions? Great promotion, but if it's that wrong I dont know, hope new users know

ZC

I think the most dangerous part of this review is "you can use this with ANY standard 18650 battery". Misinformation like that could get people hurt if they don't do their own research and just use something they have laying around.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@DocGonzo: it's the same here. I get a 3rd bowl per charge only because I continue past 3.6V. Those cells can be drained down to 2.5V max, but stopping around 3.2V is fine and leaves some margin for the voltage sag. For sure that last session feels sluggish and I have to hold the trigger way more, but it's worth it and it works.

I don't think the cells are the issue, I got several from different sources and makes. I get exactly the same number of bowls out of the brown HG2 for instance.

It's down to something else. When I read some people saying that they get 5 or 6 good hits per stem, I think here is the issue: I never bothered to count but I get something more like 20 or 30 hits per stem (to get an idea of the magnitude, but tonight I'm gonna count my hits for science)

I expressed the exact same remark in the Zion thread back then, where I'm only getting 4 sessions out of my two cells when others report much more. My theory is that the more hits you take, the more energy you waste in preheat and cool-down cycles.

Say if you take 5 giant rips with 2 seconds preheat before each, you do a total of 10 seconds of preheat. But if you take 20 smaller hits, each with 2 seconds preheat... well that's 4 times the energy wasted. It's clearly not a negligible difference!

I've always said that in a way, and to me, those two vapes are more geared towards big rips and water tools usage. You can "sip" them right, I do it all the time that's the proof it's possible, but it's energy inefficient.

PS: I'm using quotes here because honestly it doesn't feel like sipping at all to me! I'm under the impression I'm getting very large hits compared to what I'm accustomed to. With the Ascent I have to sip, here I'm taking generous hits... but still they are nothing in comparison to what some Z-team members can pull (ex: 30 to 60 seconds draws etc)

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@DocGonzo: it's the same here. I get a 3rd bowl per charge only because I continue past 3.6V. Those cells can be drained down to 2.5V max, but stopping around 3.2V is fine and leaves some margin for the voltage sag. For sure that last session feels sluggish and I have to hold the trigger way more, but it's worth it and it works.

I don't think the cells are the issue, I got several from different sources and makes. I get exactly the same number of bowls out of the brown HG2 for instance.

It's down to something else. When I read some people saying that they get 5 or 6 good hits per stem, I think here is the issue: I never bothered to count but I get something more like 20 or 30 hits per stem (to get an idea of the magnitude, but tonight I'm gonna count my hits for science)

I expressed the exact same remark in the Zion thread back then, where I'm only getting 4 sessions out of my two cells when others report much more. My theory is that the more hits you take, the more energy you waste in preheat and cool-down cycles.

Say if you take 5 giant rips with 2 seconds preheat before each, you do a total of 10 seconds of preheat. But if you take 20 smaller hits, each with 2 seconds preheat... well that's 4 times the energy wasted. It's clearly not a negligible difference!

I've always said that in a way, and to me, those two vapes are more geared towards big rips and water tools usage. You can "sip" them right, I do it all the time that's the proof it's possible, but it's energy inefficient.

PS: I'm using quotes here because honestly it doesn't feel like sipping at all to me! I'm under the impression I'm getting very large hits compared to what I'm accustomed to. With the Ascent I have to sip, here I'm taking generous hits... but still they are nothing in comparison to what some Z-team members can pull (ex: 30 to 60 seconds draws etc)

Yeah, it's useage too. I mean, I consider myself a sipper, but I don't preheat really, just draw slow and clear faster after letting go of the trigger. I barely have to hold it, hits feel like they're give or take 10sec, and seems like 10+ hits per stem depending on the pack of course. 4-6 stems always seems consistent for me, though I find the brown LGs to be in the high end maybe capable of more. So technique really is a big factor, my old cooler running beta was capable, the new one is just faster and even more efficient, so I still feel very comfortable saying 5 stems per battery on average with the current hot/fast Milaanas... But yeah we're all different right? Why it's good we've such useage variety in the beta testers, no matter which way you slice it this thing still works very well for most people (ofcourse still not quite all people necessarily)

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Namaste, you could get much better performance with better methodology. It's time for Mi vid, from down in the trenches by a daily Mi user, from herb prep to totally cashed ABV.

I like to load pretty heavy and sometimes do back to back to back to back sessions, you get the idea. I must have 20 batts, all rotated through. I think the Sony's heat best, but don't last longest. I like the yellow batts (lg?) for best overall performance. The HE2s are also hot, but last a bit less. All in all, I can get from 3 to 5 sessions. If I just keep humming through, I can get lots of free pulling (button released), as things STAY hot, logically saving energy. Condition of my throat, length of pulls, load size, dryness of matl all come into play.

I also change early, cause I can. :razz:

Last edited:

DocGonzo

I really do think the batteries are playing a roll in my case. The yellow LGs I have are just really underwhelming. Not nearly as hot when full and with a quick dropoff. The Samsung starts strong but doesn't last more than three stems, max. Part of the short battery life is definitely on how I tend to use the Mi, though. I often take three or four hits and then set it down for a while, then pick it back up later for a few more quick hits. Starting from cold is definitely going to involve more preheat than riding all the way through a stem load.

Philreal187

I haven't been able to get much more than 3 stems per battery. I find I am at the higher number of hits per stem as well. Never counted hits but definitely around 20, unless its in the micro ddave mod. I think my milaana also runs a touch cooler. I do a 5 sec heat up, then usually 5 more sec holding the button while drawing, let go of the button and keep drawing for about 5 sec after. I honestly would have to try for combustion in my vape, very tame, only happened once and it was through water... But I still get monster hits if I want with the triple 5 count that seems to work for mine. I have grown pretty loyal to the short stem pack half way lightly and capped with the ddave basket screen.

Anyways back to my diy staining :science:
Hopefully I can have some finally shots of the outcome tomorrow night!

:peace:

waxdab23

Are there any small mouthpieces that connect to the stems or stems that have smaller/different shaped mouth ends? Like something more ergonomical to the lips if that makes sense lol.

I'm probably in the minority on this because I don't ever see it mentioned, but the shape of the mouth end of the stems just feels so awkward to me. Really makes it difficult for me to get a good handle on my draw speed. Also makes me drool lol. Any solution?

ZC

@waxdab23 I don't know if he has any available right now, but @DDave 's kit has tapered mouthpiece with a much smaller tip. It's still perfectly round but I find the smaller size to be more comfortable.

I've considered combining one of these with a 14-18mm adapter but the price is a little too high to just experiment with.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
@waxdab23 I don't know if he has any available right now, but @DDave 's kit has tapered mouthpiece with a much smaller tip. It's still perfectly round but I find the smaller size to be more comfortable.

I've considered combining one of these with a 14-18mm adapter but the price is a little too high to just experiment with.
Friends and Mil-Maniacs!

I have original kit pieces in stock.... 14mm & 18mm basket screens, 14mm & 18mm stems.... plastic stem cases, etc.... but I'm working on something special I wanted to include!

Not letting the cat out of the bag yet.... as I'm unsure I'll be able to source the pieces for a reasonable price.... but...

I have a prototype myself. In testing, have gone from high temp irritating sessions to sessions that feel as if you have walked into a steam room (that heavy, moist feeling during inhale and especially exhaling), but no irritation what-so-ever. I've been able to get darker ABV without any discomfort.

Hits equivalent to a modded EQ, but from the Mil!

The kit I'm trying putting together will include the pieces from the original, plus the new pieces that will make the mod.

If anyone is interested in the original kit, PM me and I'll get a listing going on eBay. (And same rules apply, if I can secure the pieces for the advanced kit, those who purchased the original will get the additional pieces at lower cost).

BadDog No

I use the Oregonglassblowers 14/18 90 % of the time (basically all the time unless I can't find it...;)). Not a big fan of the provided stems either and find it easier to wrap my lips around the smaller 14 size. The added benefit of near instant mate with water makes it my go to. I won't add water until late in the cycle, but eventually the taste is just OK yet more goodness remains and I've always got a 14 F. bubbler or hydrotube around.

http://oregonglassblower.com/14-18mm-Glass-Adapter-14M-18M-14m-18m.htm

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Dang... I think my PMer just broke! Kidding, but wasn't aware of the demand...

Relisted on eBay.

Please mind the Heater Screen Measurement note! Your Mil has to have at least a 1" space from heater screen to top of the glass opening.

Vape On! :rockon:

OyVape

Yes, I agree about the smaller mouth piece. Definitely more comfy. It also feels easier to control. I use an 18/14 adapter from OGB, start off easy, and add a semi-flexible piece of Brewers tube as I reach higher temperatures. Like an extension. I got it years ago with one of my first vapes, the Aromazap and it has a 14 ID.

kimura

Are there any small mouthpieces that connect to the stems or stems that have smaller/different shaped mouth ends? Like something more ergonomical to the lips if that makes sense lol.

I'm probably in the minority on this because I don't ever see it mentioned, but the shape of the mouth end of the stems just feels so awkward to me. Really makes it difficult for me to get a good handle on my draw speed. Also makes me drool lol. Any solution?

totally agree that a smaller mouthpiece hole, tapered or otherwise, makes a difference in terms of comfort and functionality of the higher temp capabilities of the lovely Mi. I was someone who struggled to use the "stock" stems due to harshness, and I didn't want to always have to use an M2M and a j-hook, so... I'm excited to see what @DDave is working on... but in the meantime, I came up with this rigged setup a while ago (posted earlier in the thread), which has made a really big difference for me in terms of heat and harshness on the throat:

pkXgr2W.jpg

you can just take one of these style glass mouthpiece (I think this was from my SSV) and shove it into a bit of silicon hose or whatever, and then stick it into the end of any of the stock stems. voila?

PgcKj1W.jpg

I'd prefer a more elegant solution but this really does work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom