Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

OB

@THC SCIENTIFIC how do we initiate a trade in for our double tops and what are the trade options? Thanks

Oh and are the kanger protanks 601 threaded, or do they come with an adapter.

Last edited:

nao12000

W9 Tech Rep
Company Rep
@THC SCIENTIFIC how do we initiate a trade in for our double tops and what are the trade options? Thanks

Oh and are the kanger protanks 601 threaded, or do they come with an adapter.
The Protanks are 601 threaded they are w9tech Protanks 2!
You can file a ticket for the top or just follow instructions on the main page under warranty tab !

nao12000,
Reactions: OB

halibutt

I want to share my recent vacation experience here in case anyone is on the fence about buying a Persei. After visiting every major (and some minor) theme and water park in the Central Florida area, I can safely report that I was able to use my Persei and Hercules SR-74 combo in each and every one of those parks.

I didn't really have to hide it other than going into a stall in the men's room, taking 2-3 hits, and exhaling through my nose to help with smell. A quick flush of the terlet, slip the Persei in one pocket and the Herc in another, and I was recharged for another few hours of hell. By the time anyone could possibly suspected anything I was long gone standing in another line for 120 minutes.

We rented a house with several other family members, all of whom would shit their pants if they knew what I was up to. Using the Herc in the bathroom with the vent on was no problem at all, no smell. They were none the wiser.

For the flight there and back, I put the CLEAN Persei/Herc in a small generic looking pouch I had handy. I also stuck some legit ejuice right next to it in my suitcase, so I could at least attempt to lie if questioned. I put my erl in a cleaned out plastic container used for baseball glove oil called Hot Glove Cream Conditioner. It's one of the only types most big sports stores carry. I figured if it was opened up it might at least pass a quick inspection. I initially planned to bring my Pax, but chickened out on carrying herb through the airlines. I've done it successfully many times, but it's so much easier bringing erl.

--Side note --
Is it possible to purchase just the Persei head? Mine died a few days ago and I'd like to have a spare on hand. It would also keep me from playing musical Persei every time I want to switch to using the SS kit.

OB

Aweome can't wait for that. I didnt see the double top mentioned specifically. I assume since its pretty old I have to purchase the persei warranty for $65. Then send in the double top? I'm sorry for making it difficult. I don't want to order kiss carts if I can trade in my double top for them, but if its $65 I can't justify doin it since the rest of my persei works great and a kiss cart is only 25.
I brought my persei wih me flying back east. Set off the smoke alarm by blowing vapor into what my high ass thought was an exhaust vent. 20 min later flight attendants were rush in around and the captain comes on saying "flagstaff is on the right, and we almost had to make an emergency landing because some idiot set offr smoke alarm in the lavatory with who knows what", then says how I'd get fined and have to pay for all the fuel hotels and everyone's tickets. I about died of fear thinking I was gonna be arrested when we landed. Ended up safe. but edibles for sure next time...

Last edited:

Hedonismbot

I was thinking some more last night about how poor a fit the Herc black heating rods are to the Iris vv top and then it occurred to me that we can calculate what an ideal resistance would be for the Iris to drive based on a set of requirements. Here are the requirements I came up with:

1. Provide the widest possible range of power to the Hercules given the Iris output voltage limits of 3.5 to 7.4 volts.
  2. Don't exceed 5 amps of current.
  3. Provide enough headroom for the Iris to maintain regulation for a "long" time with freshly charged batteries.

Any other resistance related requirements I'm forgetting?

If we look at max output we would want 5 amps at 7.4 volts which is 36.5 watts. This means that the heating rod resistance would be 1.5 ohms. At 1.5 ohms the power at 3.5 volts is about 8.2 watts. So with a 1.5 ohm heating rod you get a power range of 8.2 to 36.5 watts on the Iris. Doesn't this sound ideal? The 37 watts allows me to vape my most stable waxes which I have needed on occasion. At 20 watts I get the power level of a black rod. At 12 watts, the power level of the old blue rod, I can experiment with vaping flowers in the Herc. As far as headroom, with a 30 watt setting (which I predict will become the most popular Iris/Herc power level) the 1.5 ohm rod needs just 6.7 volts, so with freshly charged batteries starting at 8.3 volts the battery voltage level would have to drop to 6.7 volts for the Iris to fall out of regulation. I consider this to be a lot of headroom and allows me to vape all day at a steady 30 watt output. You get all of this while safely staying within the 5 amp current limit.

Here is a table showing my work:
bav2ozw.jpg

Notice the maasive current the 0.8 ohm black rod will try to draw if full voltage is accidentally applied.

And here is a summary table:
n9E6woL.jpg

As Irises become more common people will be tempted to try it with all the different Herc heating rods so I think this information will become important. Also, I'm hoping to make the 1.5 ohm heating rod the standard for Iris use. It really is the best in this application. I'm glad I got plenty of spare 1.5 ohm rods for my SR-71!

Hedo

P.S. I can make any of my spreadsheets available to anyone who is interested in tinkering with them. Let me know.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Just had an accidental stress test of the Herc, and it really is bulletproof. Was trying to shoot a video for the FC 2014 Olymipcs, and didn't realize the Persei still had the Hammer head on it. After taking two huge rips I set the Persei down.

A couple minutes later--what's that burning oil smell? Look down and see the persei still has the light on! I had engaged the hammer's latch (oops) and left it heating the herc for two minutes as it sat on the table. Took the SR-71 apart and oddlly enough there was minimal leakage to the bottom, but the oil was burnt black. A quick ISO bath on the parts, the herc is good as new.

Having the cartridge disassembled was a good time to try the black rod that just came in the mail. I really like the 3.7v configuration. Clouds are not quite as dense, but medication levels are the same for me as the 7.4v Herc, with improved taste profile with the 3.7v black rod.

The only issue I've ever had with the white rod SR-71 is remembering how incredibly powerful it is. Sometimes, like when trying to shoot a milkshot video, I'd run the 7.4v herc too long and cause leakage. Not often, but it would happen. I run the black rod with a 10-second heat up (the time it takes for the hissing sound of oil heating), and pulse 3-seconds on and off. No leaksage at all, and great taste.

In conclusion, the white rod herc is great, so is the black rod. For vaporists who are also flavorists, the black rod is perfect.

gudiss

Aweome can't wait for that. I didnt see the double top mentioned specifically. I assume since its pretty old I have to purchase the persei warranty for $65. Then send in the double top? I'm sorry for making it difficult. I don't want to order kiss carts if I can trade in my double top for them, but if its $65 I can't justify doin it since the rest of my persei works great and a kiss cart is only 25.
I brought my persei wih me flying back east. Set off the smoke alarm by blowing vapor into what my high ass thought was an exhaust vent. 20 min later flight attendants were rush in around and the captain comes on saying "flagstaff is on the right, and we almost had to make an emergency landing because some idiot set offr smoke alarm in the lavatory with who knows what", then says how I'd get fined and have to pay for all the fuel hotels and everyone's tickets. I about died of fear thinking I was gonna be arrested when we landed. Ended up safe. but edibles for sure next time...
was that "vapor" from a herc?

gudiss,

OB

Na just low ohm carts on the iris with the voltage up a bit. Don't underestimate those guys. I don't use my herc as much for oils anymore. Seemed to always eat up my oil, so I fell off keeping track of the upgrades. I use the blue rod for flower and love that. Still have the silver rod too. Would love to be filled in on all of that. Got the mouth piece upgrade. Does the variable airflow washer make that much of a difference?

OB,

lockie

Since my Persei top is in for repairs, I only have the Omicron mini HVD atm so I picked up a 2.4 cartridge to see if it changed any since I've last tried it. The loading sides seem to have changed a little in design but looks normal other than that. I forget which type of concentrates work best with this cartridge. I think it was...crumble?
And I believe the 4 seconds on 2 seconds off was the best pull method?

Last edited:

OB

Never mind that silver rod is awesome. Must have gotten not working and not being able to afford quality concentrates for it confused. Also loaded up the coil better than I used too. Man all the wasted time not using this awesome tool. I'll make up for it

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
LHS where a friend works just got in a bunch of W9tech products. I like the think that my showing off the Hercules helped make that happen. :)
I use to frequent often the local smoke shops. However the quality has gotten worse not better. Thin glass, cheap e-cig batteries, even the heck clips are garbage.

It has become a cost driven industry.
Quality is not even on the radar with most brick and mortar locations. The web is the only way I buy now.

I can't wait to fire up my W9 TECH stuff. At least they care about quality!

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I need a mech top:nope:. I want to explore different voltages with the Herc and the Core. Mech top should be cheaper than an Iris v3?. :hmm: But wait, I want that too.:nod:
@THC SCIENTIFIC is there a mech top in the works?
Forgive my ignorance but how would a mech top be different from the standard Persei top?

LoL how do you people lose these things?
The PTFE insulators are tiny! I'm not exactly sure where it went... just sort of walked away.

I'm happy to report the XTAR XP4 has no problem charging 14250s with the spacers.
NS0ESza.jpg

I've just left the charger on the lowest amperage setting.. anyone go higher for the 18650s? I'd rather be nice to the batteries than rushed.

pTXUywF.jpg

Persei shorty rocks as an ecig. Got the Kanger pro tank on the way, hope it solves my slight leaking problem.

If there was an 18490 tube SS tube for the Persei I'd probably get rid of all my Omicrons!

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I've dropped plenty of Herc parts. Always have a pen light handy to find them in the carpet (yes it's shag). I don't often take the bottom apart so I won't lose those little white bushings. I stress about losing those little things. But looks like I'll have a 2nd Herc soon as insurance.

syrupy,
Reactions: ataxian

Sleepin in CA

Higher than a Pterodactyl, you can call me Caveman
Accessory Maker
@syrupy I'm sending some extra ptfe bushings with the herc too. I no longer need them, so you have a few coming your way!

Sleepin in CA,
Reactions: syrupy

thevaf

@nao12000 set me straight on a part I lost, and my SR-74 is back and running... so happy with the performance.

Set up this morning with a mini SS tube stacked and a pair of 18490s. Hoping to have enough juice to not have to swap batteries until I get home this evening...

gjAmh2H.jpg

my fav setup, 18490's are great alternative to the baton you get with 2x 18650s.

thevaf,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Forgive my ignorance but how would a mech top be different from the standard Persei top?
The Persei top has voltage limits. If you try to set the Core at 6 volts, the light will flash as if your batteries are dead. The mech top removes this feature. The voltage would be controlled by the Core rather than the Persei top. This allows lower voltages therefore the ability to tailor your voltage to handle different consistencies of oil with no chance of burning.

Boilerboy51

Hey all just got my Persei and herc...I'm all disassembled and ready to boil, I was curious, when I go to check resistance when I put it back together using my own MM, what other point do I use to measure from? Id rather check with a meter to know its right, instead of just screwing it on the Persei

Top Bottom