Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
I think you worded that last part wrong. For thicker oils, i was told you want the rod slightly above the coil. Like 1-2 mm which a 30% coil should achieve
okay cool, I use a 20% and 30% with shatters.
I did mention that I recommend 30% coil that's slightly above rod as you mentioned.

BLAZING OG,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Since I've gotten my SR-71 up and running, I have been falling more and more in love with this thing. It's now easy to get anywhere from wispy vapor all the way to lung busting clouds that rival dabbing off of a nail, and the taste is insane. All I'm waiting for now is the Nibbler XL and then I may not have much of a reason to keep much glass around. :ko:

If you think the taste is good now, just wait until the 3.7V black rod is released. I seriously have never experienced anything like it with glass/titanium, or vapes.

okay cool, I use a 20% and 30% with shatters.
I did mention that I recommend 30% coil that's slightly above rod as you mentioned.

You keep saying "coil above the rod" but you want the coil slightly below the rod, at least for shatter or thick oils

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Been experiencing some issues with vapor production and flavor the last couple days. I'm starting to think that certain coils should never be loaded in the chamber. A few reasons being that they can cover the ceramic rod which seems to drop performance in my unit; since there are variations in the coils, they won't all have the same pathways for the oil to trickle in to; you can't see if it's saturating evenly or at all; since the heat source is the ceramic rod, that means the hotter parts will be towards the bottom and center of the coil, so you will have uneven heating occur that will likely give you a leak while not reaching the concentrate that's further up the coil.

Best experience so far has been doing the following:
  • Load coil out of chamber. .5 to saturate. then fill till it's soaked and dripping a bit.
  • Heat the chamber by firing the ceramic rod for near a full cycle.
  • Wait about 10 seconds and then drop your coil in, making sure to push it all the way down with your cleaning tool or dabber.
  • Start hitting, first without button. At this point it's already near the optimal temperature and should require minimal feathering.
  • After the first session, either take out your coil while the chamber is still hot or else reheat at a later time. Load your new session, heat your chamber, drop your coil and repeat.
  • Edit: You can make a better handle / hook out of a single loop in the top layer of the coil. Being careful not to stretch more length, merely choose a single flat loop on the topmost layer and bend it til it stands upright.

I'm not quite sure why my Herc, which was hitting immaculately four days after G visited, now requires this process to produce considerable, tasty vapor. I'm thinking there's something up with the air path when you load in-chamber. Before loading it my way, flavor got pretty bad. Think burned oil with little to no vape production. I'm getting fresh flavor and full clouds this way, but it may just be my unit.

I have been waiting to say this for a while! SR-71 has been seen soaring above the Rockies. Holy crap! Thanks to all that have helped me figure out what was going on, or the solution. I tried everything that was directed at my last post and this is what worked for me
I loaded my 40% coil outside of the herc. Following @Atomsk guide to heat wax into

Glad I could help. We probably have coils that act similarly.

Edit:
About reclaim- to evaporate all the alcohol, should I sit the reclaim solution in the sun? Am I supposed to toss this in the freezer? I'm reading some conflicting methods.

Last edited:

cannaman559

I decided to pull the trigger on the slightly used persei from a friend. I was looking through my w9 arsenal and found that I own an extra (newer) black top...can I power it on a chrome tube? I dont know if it is recommended or if it doenst matter...any thoughts?
http://imgur.com/WknkrVE

cannaman559,

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
If you think the taste is good now, just wait until the 3.7V black rod is released. I seriously have never experienced anything like it with glass/titanium, or vapes.

You keep saying "coil above the rod" but you want the coil slightly below the rod, at least for shatter or thick oils

Stoked to try the new rod. However, I also thought that the smallest coil is supposed to be flush with the top of the rod. Trying to remember where I read that so I can post it here. Give me a few minutes.

UPDATE: Found it.

Coil length should be cut to various sizes depending on what type of concentrate you are using. Its been covered fairly well so far in this thread, so I wont go into a lot more detail, however if we could get some user feedback for what works well with what length, that would be tits. To make this easy for people, the SHORTEST coil should be flush with the top of your ceramic rod (white, IDK about the other colors or if it even matters).

Last edited:

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Been experiencing some issues with vapor production and flavor the last couple days. I'm starting to think that certain coils should never be loaded in the chamber. A few reasons being that they can cover the ceramic rod which seems to drop performance in my unit; since there are variations in the coils, they won't all have the same pathways for the oil to trickle in to; you can't see if it's saturating evenly or at all; since the heat source is the ceramic rod, that means the hotter parts will be towards the bottom and center of the coil, so you will have uneven heating occur that will likely give you a leak while not reaching the concentrate that's further up the coil.

Best experience so far has been doing the following:
  • Load coil out of chamber. .5 to saturate. then fill till it's soaked and dripping a bit.
  • Heat the chamber by firing the ceramic rod for near a full cycle.
  • Wait about 10 seconds and then drop your coil in, making sure to push it all the way down with your cleaning tool or dabber.
  • Start hitting, first without button. At this point it's already near the optimal temperature and should require minimal feathering.
  • After the first session, either take out your coil while the chamber is still hot or else reheat at a later time. Load your new session, heat your chamber, drop your coil and repeat.
  • Edit: You can make a better handle / hook out of a single loop in the top layer of the coil. Being careful not to stretch more length, merely choose a single flat loop on the topmost layer and bend it til it stands upright.

I'm not quite sure why my Herc, which was hitting immaculately four days after G visited, now requires this process to produce considerable, tasty vapor. I'm thinking there's something up with the air path when you load in-chamber. Before loading it my way, flavor got pretty bad. Think burned oil with little to no vape production. I'm getting fresh flavor and full clouds this way, but it may just be my unit.

Glad I could help. We probably have coils that act similarly.

Edit:
About reclaim- to evaporate all the alcohol, should I sit the reclaim solution in the sun? Am I supposed to toss this in the freezer? I'm reading some conflicting methods.

Did you cut yours 30/70? Or 40/60?

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Caligula

Maximus
@Atomsk let the reclaim sit in a well ventilated room and allow it to evaporate on its own. To speed things you can turn on a ceiling fan or point a desk fan at it on LOW speed. Optional... pour reclaim through a filter if stuff gets in it. Needs to still be dissolved in the ISO obviously.

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Did you cut yours 30/70? Or 40/60?

Been experimenting with the one you cut for me, which I think is 25 or 30, and one I cut myself at 40.

The worst experience is with the 40, using blonde flake that melts very easily. I loaded this in chamber, everything liquified and looked like it went in to the coil. Hits great the first five to ten times. Then if you set it down from that initial session (after cooling it and laying it sideways), it won't hit the same. Tried preheating, slower or faster draws, longer hits. There are times when it's clearly heating, but you don't get much more than a wispy, burned tasting hit.

Haven't bought a scale yet, decided to get more wax instead. But I got the wax in .5 increments so I know that half is .25, etc. I saturated the 40 coil with .4, then with the remaining .1 and another .5 I loaded the coil, for a full gram. I loaded this in chamber, everything liquified and looked like it went in to the coil. First 5-10 hits were astounding. I looked at the coil after cooling it and it was still nice and saturated, with a small layer of oil forming on top from the suction. Then if you set it down from that initial session (after cooling it and laying it sideways), it never hit the same. I checked the coil first and saw it looked like it had after the first session, then tried preheating, slower or faster draws, longer hits. There were times when it was clearly heating, but I didn't get much more than a wispy, burned tasting hit.

Then I load another .5, and that hits well the first 5 times, then the same experience as setting it down. I check and it's leaking a little bit, but it's not hitting. I then tried spinning the coil, clearing the bottom of the top chamber of loose oil (which I added to the top of the coil). Nothing really worked after that until I tried doing it the way I posted. I can even set it down and still get some fair clouds now. Still only works best when fresh.

Stoked to try the new rod. However, I also thought that the smallest coil is supposed to be flush with the top of the rod. Trying to remember where I read that so I can post it here. Give me a few minutes.

Actually, the first one G cut for me (25 or 30) sits maybe a cm or two below the rod and we used it to great effect on shatters. I think PhotoRider says he uses a below the rod cut for shatters as well. It hits the best out of all my coils so far, although I've only used this one, a 40, and the initial 100. If I appropriate how much I load, I find that I can use the 25/30 with any consistency for the best results. Try it out, it'll only cost you a 3rd of a coil.

I own an extra (newer) black top...can I power it on a chrome tube? I dont know if it is recommended or if it doenst matter...any thoughts?
http://imgur.com/WknkrVE

Yeah, you can mix and match tops and bodies. It's all aesthetic, however they are clearing out the chrome line for other colors.

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
@Atomsk let the reclaim sit in a well ventilated room and allow it to evaporate on its own. To speed things you can turn on a ceiling fan or point a desk fan at it on LOW speed. Optional... pour reclaim through a filter if stuff gets in it. Needs to still be dissolved in the ISO obviously.

Nice, I didn't think about the filter part and I have small pieces of coil in the reclaim. Thanks! How do I know if it's fully evaporated? After three days of sitting out, ventilated, there's no visible alcohol but the reclaim is really runny and unlike it's previous consistency.

Caligula

Maximus
@Atomsk Overnight with the method I described was all I did for the reclaim you saw pictures of. If you want, you can put it in the oven set @ 180*F. The ISO boils @ 179.XX... however at this point the only thing that could possibly be left is water. Usually water shows up as a milky white liquid, since that's what happens when it reacts with concentrated ISO.

Speaking of pictures... I have some things to try out soon. Ill be sure to post results!

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/2879/dnak.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/2338/53kt.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/3333/8v3m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/2404/wsva.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/1277/x9jg.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/3796/cs0b.JPG

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/5190/ng3n.jpg

Last edited:

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
If you are having an issue please cut the coil 60/40.

The most stable oils you'll probably want to do 1/3 to about 40% of original coil size. If you're unsure, try 50% and you should be fine.

Can you show me how the coil sits in the tube? The 40/60 cut while using the 40 side has to be about 2mm above the ceramic rod.

edited: Added info @ 4:00PM PST on 9-6-2013

• To make this easy for people, the SHORTEST coil should be flush with the top of your ceramic rod

Yes I keep saying coil slightly above the rod or flush, because thats what has been recommended and seems to be working for most.
I do agree that if yours is working below the rod as mine is thats a great thing , I still like to recommend flush or slightly above the rod on the average.
I quoted some of the people's success and recommendations and highlighted it in orange.
I and this is of course pertaining to the size of the oil coil and the coil with shatters.
:tup::tup:

Sorry I had a few more in the list but had to shorten it down, due to a limit on the 10000 max characters.

Last edited:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

Yes I keep saying coil slightly above the rod or flush, because thats what has been recommended and seems to be working for most.
I do agree that if yours is working below the rod as mine is thats a great thing , I still like to recommend flush or slightly above the rod on the average.
I quoted some of the people's success and recommendations and highlighted it in orange.
I and this is of course pertaining to the size of the oil coil and the coil with shatters.
:tup::tup:

Sorry I had a few more in the list but had to shorten it down, due to a limit on the 10000 max characters.
The coil sitting slightly below the rod, or the rod sitting slightly above the coil (same thing worded differently) was just recently recommended to me by G in the past few days. I believe in the past they were recommending the smallest the coil should be is flush with the rod. However, recently It was found that it works better having the rod slightly above the coil (just 1-2 mm).

Again, this is for really thick oils, and shatter. You definitely lose some taste (white rod), but the huge clouds that result with little to no technique definitely makes up for this.

Also been using the same coil with the black rod. Coil is slightly below the rod and ive been getting excellent size hits and the best tasting vapor ive ever experienced. I did notice the oil(shatter) isnt melting all the way into the coil and it building up around the edges though. Been scraping it up and re melting it down though which isnt really an issue to me. I was also chatting with G about this earlier but had to leave so never finished th conversation. Ill get back to everyone with the details.

Anyway, So if the rod was flush with the coil (at least with the black rod) i doubt id be getting as good results

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
The coil sitting slightly below the rod, or the rod sitting slightly above the coil (same thing worded differently) was just recently recommended to me by G in the past few days. I believe in the past they were recommending the smallest the coil should be is flush with the rod. However, recently It was found that it works better having the rod slightly above the coil (just 1-2 mm).

Again, this is for really thick oils, and shatter. You definitely lose some taste (white rod), but the huge clouds that result with little to no technique definitely makes up for this.

Also been using the same coil with the black rod. Coil is slightly below the rod and ive been getting excellent size hits and the best tasting vapor ive ever experienced. I did notice the oil(shatter) isnt melting all the way into the coil and it building up around the edges though. Been scraping it up and re melting it down though which isnt really an issue to me. I was also chatting with G about this earlier but had to leave so never finished th conversation. Ill get back to everyone with the details.

Anyway, So if the rod was flush with the coil (at least with the black rod) i doubt id be getting as good results

I think we both meant the same but worded differently, Interesting find.
I was hoping to hear more of your results with the black rod, awesome.

Interesting, I have been testing the short oil coil slightly below the rod (or rod slightly above coil lol) with great results with shatter, but I need further testing , but I used my coil thasts slight above the rod this time and my shatter had a chance to start melting and slowly ride down the heat rod with huge clouds that came with it.
The rod is hottest at the top , its tip (if iam not mistaken) so maybe the shatter above the heat got more vaped as to compared to the shatter starting off below the hottest part and giving great huge hits but not quite as dense. When its lower than the heat then its more tasty becasue its relying on the coil to start getting hot and vaping the EO off the hot coil rather than the hotness from the tip of the rod.
The black rod has a huge difference in flavor, I agree completely.

Happy Vaping

This is some great info guys, we need to get all this in the vaporpedia for the sr-71 if there is one?

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yeah, with the white rod and shatter having the rod slight above the coil definitely gives a slightly harsh taste. but its basically comparable to the taste im getting out of my cera.

having a bigger coil thats flush or slightly above the rod definitley provides better taste, its just trickier to get consistent results. At least from what ive experienced.

But even that great taste with the white rod, cant compare to the black rod. Like i said though, all of the oil(shatter) isnt melting fully down into the coil and starts to build up against the walls of the upper section. But its really easy to just scrape it up and drip it back down. g asked me to show him a picture which i did but i still havent heard anything back yet about this. Its not really an issue though as its definitely a lot less that im scraping then what im putting in to it.

With the white rod, i was having a hard time choosing between the hercules and my cera. But since ive gotten the black rod i havent touched the cera and i dont plan on using it anytime soon. The hits definitely arent as big as the white rod or the cera, but they are still pretty dense and so damn smooth. I tried using it with water and there was no difference in the hits that how smooth and tasty it is....

Mynameismud,
Reactions: ataxian

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Yeah, with the white rod and shatter having the rod slight above the coil definitely gives a slightly harsh taste. but its basically comparable to the taste im getting out of my cera.

having a bigger coil thats flush or slightly above the rod definitley provides better taste, its just trickier to get consistent results. At least from what ive experienced.

But even that great taste with the white rod, cant compare to the black rod. Like i said though, all of the oil(shatter) isnt melting fully down into the coil and starts to build up against the walls of the upper section. But its really easy to just scrape it up and drip it back down. g asked me to show him a picture which i did but i still havent heard anything back yet about this. Its not really an issue though as its definitely a lot less that im scraping then what im putting in to it.

With the white rod, i was having a hard time choosing between the hercules and my cera. But since ive gotten the black rod i havent touched the cera and i dont plan on using it anytime soon. The hits definitely arent as big as the white rod or the cera, but they are still pretty dense and so damn smooth. I tried using it with water and there was no difference in the hits that how smooth and tasty it is....

I love the herc, if taste starts to degrade, I can just take it apart clean fully and burn off the heat rod to almost brand new(top part not, not the bottom) ,I cant do that with my other vapes.
I have stopped using my other vapes also because of fowl taste (might of been my own fault as to not cleaning as often as I should of) that even iso isnt taking away, boiling isn't working,baking it either. only other alternative is opening it up and voiding warranty to torch clean the ceramic 's or getting it rebuilt.
I cant wait to see your comparisons on the two, or watch!?:brow:

edit
also I have noticed certain oils like to run away from the heat in this case the lower heat from the black 3.7v is heating and vaping but some oil that's further (due to it not being as hot as 7.4, heat builds up but more slowly on 3.7v ) away in the coil gets pushed out to the sides or up into mouthpiece, plus drawing thru usually assist in pulling oil up.

noticed this when I use to used cheap ecig conectrate pens that you just dab a bit on to the coil, some wax gets vaped instantly and the rest that's far enough gets pushed up or away from the heat( heating coil in this case).
A super hot titanium nail is so hot that the oil has no were to run in time before getting completely vaped off or flashed vaped(plus the nail shape helps).
The nail set up ,pulls air in a downward motion pushing against oil keeping it down on the flat part of the nail, most pens and portable vapes require the air to pass upward from the bottom up thru the oil, so it might be assisting the liquified oil to be pulled up with the inhalation .

Last edited:

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
We extended the pass through give away so its till the 30th of this month.

Also the nibblers should be shipping out on or about the 18th.

Hit a snag on the pass through production so we are revising a small part and gonna resume this Monday. One of our suppliers was trying to pull a fast one over us and we caught it.

Iris V2 is coming along nicely.

We are aware of some Hercules issues relating to taste but please understand it is a 45 watt system. Not pulsing the button after the first 8 seconds and after it passes that 15 second mark thats gonna start to cook your oil. We are working always to make it better but and will let you know whats going on.

As far as the AAF we are still looking into it. We have it down and its the best thing thats ever made for the Hercules SR but we still think its going to cause more problems then its going to fix.

Last edited:

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
To everyone having flavor issues... have you tried soaking your coil in ISO and doing a burn off of the bare ceramic rod?
Never had any flavor issues, but I do agree that the 3.7v red/black rod cooks the oil a bit slower and more controlled yet yielding pretty tasty slow cooked EO vapor.
The 7.4v can be equally as tasty by following THc SCI's advise on feathering/throttling the button.
So much power on the 7.4v , if used right it can float like a butterfly or sting like a turbine engine blasting potent Vapor into your lungs.:mmmm::bigleaf::mmmm:

We are aware of some Hercules issues relating to taste but please understand it is a 45 watt system. Not pulsing the button after the first 8 seconds and after it passes that 15 second mark thats gonna start to cook your oil. We are working always to make it better but and will let you know whats going on.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Nice, I didn't think about the filter part and I have small pieces of coil in the reclaim. Thanks! How do I know if it's fully evaporated? After three days of sitting out, ventilated, there's no visible alcohol but the reclaim is really runny and unlike it's previous consistency.
Hey Atomsk:

I don't have a coil. (came unraveled)
Without a coil = Why couldn't I load dense nugs (Flower) to the top of the rod and drop some blonde wax on it?

I have two SR71's I want to fire at least one up.
My POLLEN PELLETS I quit making them.
I was using them with no problem during the last few months without issue.
However I want to keep it simple since the HERCULES is finshed.

Please advise?

Kind regards,
ataxian

cannaman559

We extended the pass through give away so its till the 30th of this month.

Also the nibblers should be shipping out on or about the 18th.

Hit a snag on the pass through production so we are revising a small part and gonna resume this Monday. One of our suppliers was trying to pull a fast one over us and we caught it.

Iris V2 is coming along nicely.

As far as the AAF we are still looking into it. We have it down and its the best thing thats ever made for the Hercules SR but we still think its going to cause more problems then its going to fix.

Iris v2!!! Color options? I cant wait!

Caligula

Maximus
@ataxian Shits stainless steel and ceramic. You won't hurt anything so try that out and let us know!

On that note what size and type screens are people using on top of the cut coil for flowers?

Caligula,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@ataxian Shits stainless steel and ceramic. You won't hurt anything so try that out and let us know!

On that note what size and type screens are people using on top of the cut coil for flowers?
I'll just do!

Let you know after I wake up!
GOD'S GIFT blonde well purged BHO (Vacuum and Heat)
WHITE WIDOW NUG

At least it should taste OK!

Taste = amazing!
Effect = MAX FLIGHT!

This setup is going to be with me for quick medication purposes!

Last edited:
Top Bottom