Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Guys a fun fact for and a question for you all.

All battery powered devices, this means vaporizers as well are variable voltage whether it is direct or indirect but they are all variable voltages.

Now here is why.

Li ion batteries are rated at 3.7v but in actual reality, when fully charged it is 4.2v, as you use it voltage drops and so does the battery power.

Meaning a Omicron that is rated at 3.7v is actually 4.2v when fully charged, as you use it the voltage drops so indirectly it is a variable voltage.

Some units out there allow you to adjust the voltage by tapping the button a few times.

Some higher end units have a LCD screen that will allow you to see the voltage.

Now we are making the final touches on the control board for the LCD top, and would like to see what else we need to do that we didnt think about.

I am no battery expert in fact im no engineer, hell i am not even edumacated.

So here is a question.

Is it ok to boost the battery voltage if the battery is almost dead?

Example a lavatube ecig can boost the voltage to 6.0v while using one 3.7v battery, but what if the battery is almost dead lets say 2.9v boosting it to 6.0v, is that safe? that is the question.

Our answer is We think it is safe.

Now lets hear your answers.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Dopevape

Example a lavatube ecig can boost the voltage to 6.0v while using one 3.7v battery, but what if the battery is almost dead lets say 2.9v boosting it to 6.0v, is that safe? that is the question.

isn't boosting like a serious strain on battery? it will die quicker? I'm not sure. Safety not sure either.

Dopevape,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

All battery powered devices, this means vaporizers as well are variable voltage whether it is direct or indirect but they are all variable voltages.

Now here is why.

Li ion batteries are rated at 3.7v but in actual reality, when fully charged it is 4.2v, as you use it voltage drops and so does the battery power.

Meaning a Omicron that is rated at 3.7v is actually 4.2v when fully charged, as you use it the voltage drops so indirectly it is a variable voltage.

Some units out there allow you to adjust the voltage by tapping the button a few times.

Now we are making the final touches on the control board for the LCD top, and would like to see what else we need to do that we didnt think about.

So here is a question.

I'm confused how do you boost the battery. you mean use a transformer and/or voltage regulator circuit to adjust the battery output up or down? regardless the output from the battery would still be the same just the voltage would go up and the current would go down.

ru_frothi,

OF

It's safe enough (provided you do so within reason), but I seriously doubt you'll get what you want from it. It is, however, 'standard fare' in electronics. For instance, many LED flashlights use it full time. And your laptop does it to make all the various voltages needed from the single battery.

However, noting in life if free. Such conversions typically are 80 to 90% efficient (meaning power is lost and stuff we don't want hot gets hot). More to the point, you propose doing so when the battery is already 'in trouble' with deep discharge. Raising the output Voltage (and providing full power to the load) means even more current will be needed from the battery than before making the matter worse still.

You also have issues with near zero conversions. These circuits typically work best as straight boost (always raises battery voltage) or buck (lowers it) but 'boost/buck' circuits have issues best avoided if possible.

What you plan is probably the best, but if you decide to go to regulation, I'd suggest a straight buck circuit?

BTW, the class of circuits we're discussing is broadly known as 'switching converters' as they start out 'making DC into AC' by chopping it on and off very quickly before changing voltage then converting back to DC. Every PC has one in the big tin box. As you might guess, I have some modest experience with these guys....even taught a few classes on 'em in the past.

OF

Edit: Here's another thought. If you want a model of how this might work, look at the PA for MFLB. It converts 12 VDC from the wall wort or auto cord to a stable 15 Amps at .75 Volts (nominal) for the LB. High voltage, low current to low voltage, high current. In fact, it's probably current limited, not voltage. That's the more commonly used mode for such heater controllers, but that's a different topic..... OF

OF,

JoeKickass

THC SCIENTIFIC said:
So here is a question.

Short answer: If the batteries have protection you can do anything to them.

Long Answer: Over-discharge protection will cut the battery off when it drops below 2.7v and over-current protection will raise the batteries internal resistance in response to heat. So make sure your batteries are rated for the increased current at 2.7v and you will be fine. Worst-case scenario, the batteries can't put out enough amps and power drops as they die but still perfectly safe.

JoeKickass,

druminfected

Persei is arriving today! That's pretty fast shipping for usps btw! Just when I thought it was over, THC comes out with V2 of omicron so that's next on my "to things to buy" list.

Anyone else get there's yet? I'm wondering if it's charged straight out of box, or if I need to charge this bad boy before I use it. Anyone know?

druminfected,

SlideOrDie

druminfected said:
Persei is arriving today! That's pretty fast shipping for usps btw! Just when I thought it was over, THC comes out with V2 of omicron so that's next on my "to things to buy" list.

Anyone else get there's yet? I'm wondering if it's charged straight out of box, or if I need to charge this bad boy before I use it. Anyone know?

No doubt, I'm looking forward to all of the new products coming out in the next little while!

My shipping tracking says that mine is out with the courier for delivery... So it will be here any time now...

Will post pics and whatnot as soon as it arrives :)

SlideOrDie,

norcal

i feel like i need an electricians degree to understand this thread, very confusing

norcal,

OF

norcal said:
i feel like i need an electricians degree to understand this thread, very confusing

Not to worry, no need to do so as long as someone somewhere does it, right? Teamwork and all that. We don't have to conceive, design, make, market or support this stuff....just enjoy it.

I don't know about you, but I like that system.

Of

OF,
Arrived and charging. Will review later. I thought the thread adaptors were part of the Persei Kit.... Was I wrong?

havealight101,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
Adapters are included, was announced a while ago and has been talked about. Thats a bummer :/

Xchadb,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
On delta9vapes.com they are listed as included, but at PlanetVape.ca they are not listed as included. I sent an inquiry to PlanetVape to see if they are included or not, but haven't heard back yet.

Anybody who has received theirs from one or the other care to comment?

Sinclue,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Guys we are sorry, but the adapters never made into the kit, our web guy was supposed to fix that before the pre order went out and over looked it. Just for this reason we are going to do a coupon, and give a discount on the adapters.

Use coupon code adapterize and you will get $10 off.

Expires March 23rd 2012

THC SCIENTIFIC,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
rufrothy said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

Now here is why.

So here is a question.

I'm confused how do you boost the battery. you mean use a transformer and/or voltage regulator circuit to adjust the battery output up or down? regardless the output from the battery would still be the same just the voltage would go up and the current would go down.

Yes

THC SCIENTIFIC,

kingcrimson

SlideOrDie said:
... it would have been nice to have an actual case for the unit so you don't have to carry it around in a box that has a loose top with writing all over it... not very stealth IMO :(

The Omicron v2 case looks very similar to a jewellery box you get when buying a nice necklace or bracelet :)

A case would have been nice seeing as the Persei is the bigger more expensive brother of the Omicron.

I couldn't agree more!

Sinclue said:
On delta9vapes.com they are listed as included, but at PlanetVape.ca they are not listed as included. I sent an inquiry to PlanetVape to see if they are included or not, but haven't heard back yet.

Damn. I would have ordered from Delta9 if I had known that.

Woo hoo, coupon for discount! Thanks THC.

I'm extra jealous of everyone getting theirs today, looks like mine won't make it here until monday. Let us know what you hear back.

kingcrimson,
Good to know, thanks. Hey THC, I emailed you(through forums) earlier about the funny tasting carts... Let me know, no rush though, I know your busy.

Edit: still charging, but charger is now flashing red? It was solid red for a while. What does flashing red mean. Never mind. Unplugged replugged and back to solid red.

havealight101,

SlideOrDie

Persei just arrived!

Here are some of the first pics of everything... iPhone 4s takes great pics!

I thought for some reason it was going to be bigger... Even the batteries are much smaller than I expected :)

Can't wait to get it up and running :)

440dd45b.jpg

15e8b1ed.jpg

6a1c600f.jpg

01929d02.jpg

a329542b.jpg

197d44f5.jpg

bf8a1e7e.jpg

590a4402.jpg

e15b8071.jpg

5506a983.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the shitty last pic, just wanted to show how small the batteries are!

SlideOrDie,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
So, everyone happy with it so far? Is it like that first day you tried and omicron and was blown away? Also are the new mouthpieces helping with the smell?

Xchadb,
Charged up. OMG. Single 4 ohm.... 4 secs has me hacking! :). I did take a half dozen ripps to get the initialmachine oil taste gone.
Edit: Double 4 ohm is what we all thought it would be... Intense! Nice work guys!
One note... The mouthpieces look sweet, but if your oil clogs or comes out the top, it gets all over it because the lower end of the piece encompasses the air hole and air hole structure. So I have the modded eye dropper rockin. But if your oil doesn't leak out the top, you should be good.

havealight101,

VAPORIZER22

THC SCIENTIFIC said:
Guys we are sorry, but the adapters never made into the kit, our web guy was supposed to fix that before the pre order went out and over looked it. Just for this reason we are going to do a coupon, and give a discount on the adapters.

Use coupon code adapterize and you will get $10 off.

Expires March 23rd 2012

Will planetvape have the adapters available?

VAPORIZER22,
Top Bottom