Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

I have a question about the herc SR74. Since I am using wax/shatter I am using one coil with about .5-.6 loaded right now. However, the coil seems to be rising up through the tube toward the mouthpiece and thus very little vapor is being produced.

Is this something I can fix by just squashing the ti coil to fit more snugly in the tube? :)

Just wanna check before I go messing with things whilst vaked off my ass!
Yes that is the fix. The idea is to make the coil slightly larger in diameter. This is my biggest problem with the Herc too. Easy enough to fix though. Just be careful not to overdo it.

Jman5280

Looks like you need a deep clean due to overloading or impure material: use a toothpick to gently scrape any excess, old, burned oil out of the cup, soak that thing in ISO, gently use a toothpick to clean the coil, back in some fresh iso... When it's clean and white, take it out, let it dry overnight, and give it some quick button tap dry burns to get rid of anything left.

From there on out, try loading smaller amounts to prevent so much run-off. The bad taste comes from the overloaded oil being reheated continuously. If you only put as much on the coil as will vape in 1 hit, each hit will taste good.

Thanks for your response.

Even when I use the smallest bb size load on my coil, the wick ends up with this black burnt residue...however it isn't just burnt residue, its more like its oil just saturated into the wick. I am able to take 10+ rips when the wick looks like this...and even after I can still continue to rip it as it self cleans itself.
As I take more and more rips the taste gets more machine-like and I'm worried about at some point if I am inhaling any harmful chemicals? OR if my pen is still giving my vapor and the wick is still black and oily, does that mean I am OK to keep ripping? or at some point does the cartridge start burning itself?

I hope that makes sense...

91grbr.jpg

Jman5280,

Severmore

Thanks for your response.

Even when I use the smallest bb size load on my coil, the wick ends up with this black burnt residue...however it isn't just burnt residue, its more like its oil just saturated into the wick. I am able to take 10+ rips when the wick looks like this...and even after I can still continue to rip it as it self cleans itself.
As I take more and more rips the taste gets more machine-like and I'm worried about at some point if I am inhaling any harmful chemicals? OR if my pen is still giving my vapor and the wick is still black and oily, does that mean I am OK to keep ripping? or at some point does the cartridge start burning itself?

I hope that makes sense...

91grbr.jpg
Looks like you're overloading...resulting in the bad taste of burnt oil. Clean thoroughly...load less.:2c:

Severmore,

215z

@Jman5280 the KISS carts can be used in two ways. Some people prime the wick by pulsing the coil to warm it, then hold a glob of concentrate to the coil/wick. They then watch the glob warm up and turn to liquid, flowing into the wick. They never get all the concentrate off the dab tool, they sorta have to return the excess goo to our jar (easy for me with silicone tips/containers). Then, when they hold down the power button, the oils in the wick vape off and they get a hit of clean tasty vape.

Some people use their KISS cart differently. They lay a glob of concentrate on top of the coil. They hold down the power button, and vape/burn that glob right off the coil. Some of the concentrate liquefies, drips into the wick, and vapes right back out; but that is sort of incidental. They get to use a much bigger glob of concentrate, though, and get very medicated!

I could call these KISS cart users coil vapers and wick vapers, if that makes sense to you. From your picture, you're a coil vaper. The price you pay for taking such huge hits off the coil is that some of the oil (no matter the quality) will burn, and that burnt residue crusts up your wick and coil. I went through a phase of coil vaping, and a good clean up took care of that buildup. I wanted really big hits, and didn't really mind the dreadful taste. But, it wasn't really stealth anymore, because it produced a mix of both smoke and vapor, and both the smell and appearance is a dead giveaway.

When my Hercules came, I went back to wick vaping on the KISS cart. The Hercules lets me take really big hits with wonderful taste and flavor. And for stealth I take wick vapes off the KISS cart, great taste every time.

mutten840

The wic is just ceramic and titanium wire. so you are not getting anything from it. in the hits you are taking. I would agree in cleaning it really good and trying smaller amounts and to also try to make sure they are burned up before loading more. The herc (sr-74) cart is the only one I know of that you can load a ton in and keep toking off of. give it a good clean and dry and try again with less and try dripping it onto the coil directly.

mutten840,
Reactions: Jman5280

Jman5280

Thanks, I understand it is overloaded in this pic. But I actually load up small BB loads and over time my cart ends up looking like this. it doesn't matter if I use small loads or big loads. Once the cart looks like the picture above I can usually take 15-20 rips off of it and it will clean itself back to a white wick.

When I am taking these 15-20 rips that will eventually self clean the cart and I get towards the cart being clean the taste gets more machine-like. Is this because I am burning the KISS cart components (wick, coil, cart)? My concern is if I keep taking rips until the cart cleans itself, is it safe? or am I inhaling harmful chemicals burnings off the cart itself?

Sorry I suck at explaining this..

Jman5280,

OB

No its because ur concentrate is not %100 cannabinoids and terpenes. I'd imagine those burn off the fastest, and those hits get you the highest and taste the best. Then ur left with "the rest". Not many (if any) are %100 pure. It can be extremely close, but with repeated use, and not removing this excess material between hits it will just build up. There's still THC in that mess, but its not anything like it was before it was heated and cooled over and over. I did make this statement up from personal knowledge and experience so if I'm misinforming this person please correct me. Also if you dry hit a new kiss cart u won't get any hits unless you fry it with too much voltage like I did.

Caligula

Maximus
It's been shown that even Pure Gold, which is one of the most refined concentrate products you can find, will leave residue after a few grams of material is vaped. I believe @OF showed this was the case when using the old school W9 EO carts.

OB

In other news I've been getting down with my sr71. I've got the white and blue rods still. Cut my mesh oil coil in half. Finally got enough shatter in there to get the juices flowing properly, and using the white rod at 7.4 I love it. What's the word on the blue rod? Am I safe to vape oils at 3.7 with that? Any one with an iris push it up to higher voltages, or could the random voltage spikes blow the rod up or something?

OB

Na unfortunately when the sr 71 first came out it had a few issues including me being broke, so I just stuck with the original carts and only got the shell and oil coil upgrades. That may have been over a year ago lol. vaped herb with the blue rod now and then, but man am I glad I invested in the 71 while I could because it's amazing.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
In other news I've been getting down with my sr71. I've got the white and blue rods still. Cut my mesh oil coil in half. Finally got enough shatter in there to get the juices flowing properly, and using the white rod at 7.4 I love it. What's the word on the blue rod? Am I safe to vape oils at 3.7 with that? Any one with an iris push it up to higher voltages, or could the random voltage spikes blow the rod up or something?
Blue rod was for herbs, and barely worked, so I doubt it would be any better with oil.

And as has been pointed out, there's no point to use a 3.7V rod on the iris because the sr71 white rod is more the capable of producing equivalent results

Jman5280

can someone explain to me why the w9 site says you can put .1-.3 inside of a KISS? To me that seems WAY to much. I get around 40-50 packs of little BB sized shatter/wax balls from each gram and I am still overloading. If I were to load up 0.1 I would be over flowing and 0.3 wouldn't even fit.

0.1 = 1/10th right? If I cut up my gram into 10 pieces and took each 0.1 piece, they would not fit in the KISS or it would surely be over flowing.

I am looking at ordering a Hercules but on the w9 site it says that you need 0.4 just to saturate the coil and another 0.2-0.3 per hit. At that rate wouldn't you burn through your gram in one session?

confused...

Jman5280,

Jman5280

yea but I am constantly told I am over loading and my point is that if I were to take only 10 loads out of each gram, using .1 for each load, I would be using 4 to 5 times the size that I am currently using.

Right now I get 40-50 packs per gram. If I am not mistaken the manual and people on this forum reccommend using .1-.3 which is WAY more than what I am using. I can't even imagine someone fitting .3 in a KISS cart...

0.1 = 1/10th still right? or did that change? bc either my grams are way bigger OR I don't know how to read decimals...

Jman5280,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
As I sit here reading this puffing away on my Herc SR-71 I'm thinking that for the KISS cart common sense is the rule. I load about 1/2 the size of an uncooked grain of rice on the KISS coil and go from there. First couple of hits taste really good, then as the flavorful terps are vaped away flavor degrades from there. I like to reload the KISS while the coil/wick still looks slightly "wet" with oil to avoid bad/burnt taste. If it looks gooey inside I scoop it out with a toothpick and re-deposit the now darker stuff on to the coil. There will always be overflow. If your batteries get too low it will get hot enough to melt down the oil into the cup without actually vaping it, so use charged batteries.
For the Herc, the consistency of your oil will have a lot to do with how and how much you load. The idea is to saturate the coil ( if Ti coils 1 or 2 depending on how liquid oil is. For 2 coils, the buffer generally doubles). Don't despair, this oil is not lost. If you don't attempt to run dry you will not have to re-buffer. Just keep loading to maintain constant vapor and flavor. ISO bathe the whole works after every several grams of oil.
All that said, there will be a learning curve to find what works for your unique situation.
Also I cannot stress enough:COOL DOWNS ARE A MUST. While it is not the most convenient, it is necessary for a good Herc experience. Slow hits without the button pressed to cool the oil so it will not leak through the airflow holes. Be sure to familiarize yourself with it and all of its parts. Know what they all do and how they fit together. The time spent learning in the beginning will ensure less headaches and smooth vaping in the long run.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
As I sit here reading this puffing away on my Herc SR-71 I'm thinking that for the KISS cart common sense is the rule. I load about 1/2 the size of an uncooked grain of rice on the KISS coil and go from there. First couple of hits taste really good, then as the flavorful terps are vaped away flavor degrades from there. I like to reload the KISS while the coil/wick still looks slightly "wet" with oil to avoid bad/burnt taste. If it looks gooey inside I scoop it out with a toothpick and re-deposit the now darker stuff on to the coil. There will always be overflow. If your batteries get too low it will get hot enough to melt down the oil into the cup without actually vaping it, so use charged batteries.
For the Herc, the consistency of your oil will have a lot to do with how and how much you load. The idea is to saturate the coil ( if Ti coils 1 or 2 depending on how liquid oil is. For 2 coils, the buffer generally doubles). Don't despair, this oil is not lost. If you don't attempt to run dry you will not have to re-buffer. Just keep loading to maintain constant vapor and flavor. ISO bathe the whole works after every several grams of oil.
All that said, there will be a learning curve to find what works for your unique situation.
Also I cannot stress enough:COOL DOWNS ARE A MUST. While it is not the most convenient, it is necessary for a good Herc experience. Slow hits without the button pressed to cool the oil so it will not leak through the airflow holes. Be sure to familiarize yourself with it and all of its parts. Know what they all do and how they fit together. The time spent learning in the beginning will ensure less headaches and smooth vaping in the long run.

I have so much to say about the Herc vs the others but know this

The Herc is king because of these reasons.

1. Load anything you want
  2. Clean it yourself
  3. 1 year warranty no need to send it in for cleaning
  4. Engineered for the users benefits
  5. Made to last a long long long long long time ( something wire heaters cant do )
  6. Titanium Coils ( can torch them clean )
  7. Nothing to fall out of spec
  8. No down time ( if spare heater is available, and much cheaper to have one then to send it in for repairs. )

And to my knowledge no customer has ever purchased a spare Hercules just in case of down time, when they have to send it in for cleaning or repairs. They have purchased ceramic heaters much cheaper then spending full price on a Herc.

Jman5280

yes but what about the size of the load? W9's site and other people say to use 0.1-0.3. I feel like that is way to big. 1/10th of a gram? only 10 loads per gram? I get 40-50 loads per gram on my omicron-lite. Thats why it seems ridiculous to load 0.1, it would overflow the KISS. Yet the manual says to load 0.1-0.3. Is that a typo? or does 0.1 to smokers mean something else than 1/10th?

On the hercules the manual says you need to use 0.4 grams (almost half a gram = $20) just to saturate the coil and another 0.2-0.3 to get hits. Doesn't that mean your going to use 3/4 of the gram in one sitting?

I am just confused when I see numerous vapers say that the pack in LAYG carts should be 0.1-0.3. At that size of loads you would burn through a gram super fast and you can't even fit it into most LAYG carts..

Jman5280,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
yes but what about the size of the load? W9's site and other people say to use 0.1-0.3. I feel like that is way to big. 1/10th of a gram? only 10 loads per gram? I get 40-50 loads per gram on my omicron-lite. Thats why it seems ridiculous to load 0.1, it would overflow the KISS. Yet the manual says to load 0.1-0.3. Is that a typo? or does 0.1 to smokers mean something else than 1/10th?

On the hercules the manual says you need to use 0.4 grams (almost half a gram = $20) just to saturate the coil and another 0.2-0.3 to get hits. Doesn't that mean your going to use 3/4 of the gram in one sitting?

I am just confused when I see numerous vapers say that the pack in LAYG carts should be 0.1-0.3. At that size of loads you would burn through a gram super fast and you can't even fit it into most LAYG carts..

The numbers are arbitrary, for some .1 means a small hit to others .3 is what they need for a session. What many people do is the only take the mouth piece off and just drop it in from the top on the kiss cart.

As for the Hercules the buffer is to get started if you only pack what the buffer needs it still produces vapor but adding more produces more vapor, then when the vapor production goes down you add more. You don't lose anything it just circulates.

Hope this explains it.

Jman5280

The numbers are arbitrary, for some .1 means a small hit to others .3 is what they need for a session. What many people do is the only take the mouth piece off and just drop it in from the top on the kiss cart.

As for the Hercules the buffer is to get started if you only pack what the buffer needs it still produces vapor but adding more produces more vapor, then when the vapor production goes down you add more. You don't lose anything it just circulates.

Hope this explains it.

Thanks THC. It makes sense but why say 0.1 if it's not actually 0.1? That makes no sense to me. I mean sayin you need to pack almost a half gram (0.4) just to saturate the Herc coil must be over kill than? What does 0.3 really mean if it doesn't mean 3/10ths?

Jman5280,
Reactions: DaNi_DuB

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Thanks THC. It makes sense but why say 0.1 if it's not actually 0.1? That makes no sense to me. I mean sayin you need to pack almost a half gram (0.4) just to saturate the Herc coil must be over kill than? What does 0.3 really mean if it doesn't mean 3/10ths?

The Herc and kiss cartridges are two different cartridges.

The kiss takes .1-.3 while the Herc needs .4 minimum to start working correctly.

Have you seen the Herc?

Jman5280

The Herc and kiss cartridges are two different cartridges.

The kiss takes .1-.3 while the Herc needs .4 minimum to start working correctly.

Have you seen the Herc?

Yea I've seen the Herc but I bought the omicron lite so I need to wait a while and save for a persei...

I am still hung up on the 0.1 or whatever being arbitrary. How can you say use 0.3 if it's arbitrary?

Do you really think 0.3, 1/3rd of a gram can fit in a KISS? I load my KISS with 40-50 loads per gram, which is like 0.025 or something per load, not 0.1 per gram.

And even when I load super small loads I still get the intense build up that you see in the photos above.

Jman5280,
Reactions: cawshook

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Yea I've seen the Herc but I bought the omicron lite so I need to wait a while and save for a persei...

I am still hung up on the 0.1 or whatever being arbitrary. How can you say use 0.3 if it's arbitrary?

Do you really think 0.3, 1/3rd of a gram can fit in a KISS? I load my KISS with 40-50 loads per gram, which is like 0.025 or something per load, not 0.1 per gram.

And even when I load super small loads I still get the intense build up that you see in the photos above.

Yes you can load up to .3 of a gram.

The way to do it is not take the cone off, just the mouth piece and load it from the top.

Some people do this. Just saying the numbers are arbitrary because you can load as much as you want up to .3

The build up has nothing to do with how much your loading and it's all about the oil. No oil is 100% clean. As @Caligula stated even the cleanest oils leave behind residue. Just a matter of how clean your oil is that will determine how soon build up happens.

Jman5280

Yes you can load up to .3 of a gram.

The way to do it is not take the cone off, just the mouth piece and load it from the top.

Some people do this. Just saying the numbers are arbitrary because you can load as much as you want up to .3

The build up has nothing to do with how much your loading and it's all about the oil. No oil is 100% clean. As @Caligula stated even the cleanest oils leave behind residue. Just a matter of how clean your oil is that will determine how soon build up happens.

Wait so if you load 0.3, the shatter will be above the KISS carts top and supported by the walls of the middle air way tube. It would be over flowing over the top of the KISS.

This sounds great if it works. However I have been advised numerous times in this exact thread and I think by yourself that I am using too big of loads. Therefore taking 0.1-0.3 seems ridiculous because it is 4-10 times bigger what I am using now! I have had people tell me NOT to load more than what can fit on the coil. The manual itself says to only load a small piece in the shaded area which would amount to something way less than even 0.1...

Everything contradicts itself in a way and it's confusing. I keep ending up having to clean the threads of my KISS constantly and I am loading way less than 0.1.

Can you please confirm you are saying 0.3 has no actual measurable quantity? I am thinking 0.3 means one third of a gram. But you say it's arbitrary...very confusing.

herbivore21

Wait so if you load 0.3, the shatter will be above the KISS carts top and supported by the walls of the middle air way tube. It would be over flowing over the top of the KISS.

This sounds great if it works. However I have been advised numerous times in this exact thread and I think by yourself that I am using too big of loads. Therefore taking 0.1-0.3 seems ridiculous because it is 4-10 times bigger what I am using now! I have had people tell me NOT to load more than what can fit on the coil. The manual itself says to only load a small piece in the shaded area which would amount to something way less than even 0.1...

Everything contradicts itself in a way and it's confusing. I keep ending up having to clean the threads of my KISS constantly and I am loading way less than 0.1.

Can you please confirm you are saying 0.3 has no actual measure able quantity? I am thinking 0.3 means one third of a gram. But you say it's arbitrary...very confusing.

Dude, the reason he is saying it is arbitrary is because you could have 3 different batches of the same concentrate that could weigh the same amount but take up slightly more space than one another, due to the different content of each and the different cumulative weights of the chemicals which make up your given concentrate.

Hope this is easy enough to understand, but basically, the weights would have to be a guideline. Oils ain't oils, like the old valvoline ads tell us!

Top Bottom