Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
First of all... WTF is that on your Persei?!?

Secondly, Im thinking the Hercules wont like being upside down like that for very long. At least not when in use. Have you not encountered oil leakage or slipped coil issues when inverting it like that?

I really like the whip setup @DieHard has to pair his SR with glass.
nah, works great! melt some in, and hold upside down. stays pretty clean

kushcabbage,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
my hercules provides quite amazing tasting clouds at 3.7, never burns my oil. Really like how easy it is to service, and clean! A bit large for my portable vape, but around the home and at the desk it's my daily driver. Pairs to 14/18mm glass so well! I'm a happy camper :tup:
YeABqUi.png
Is that a telescoping mod? If not you should think about getting something that works with a 18350 really brings the size down to a better size for travel

Thanks bro, I just did this any its taken it up a notch! I squished the second coil, just like i did the first, and loaded more Purple Urkle wax. Thick THICK vapor.
No problem. First time I loaded 1 coil and then added and loaded the second coil. After that have just been loading as I need. Haven't gone back to 1 coil since... I have them a little wider so the done run up, I used a clamp/vice grip to really get them where I wanted..

So I've been using the IRIS all weekend. All I can say is wow! Seriously don't know how I ever lived without it. 6.8V
is great... But I have some wax that has too much chlorophyll in it. Tasted like crap in a rig, tasted like crap in the Ti Kiss.. Dialed the Iris down to 6.3 and whoa huge clouds still and tastes decent!

The Iris is a miracle worker. Seriously every herc owner needs it. Being able to check the resistance is clutch! I have the V1 but I can only imagine how great the battery indicator on the v2 will be. When they come out they should just start pairing the iris with the hercules...I've only used the sr71 rod so far. @Hedonismbot scared me off of the black rod but @THC SCIENTIFIC gave the green light so I'm gonna give that a shot in the next couple days...more interested to see how it works with just herbs at around 4 volts...

Oh and the v1 power down flaw is not even an issue with the Hercules. Just do it when you want your last hit and you get a lung buster. Not that this will be an issue since you can't get a v1 anyway

Last edited:

itschad

so you have two rods and both arnt producing vapor, can you give me the ohms for both?

I have 2 black rods. The cracked one does not get warm or produce vapor, but the other one does get warm and produces (whispy) hits so far. It has a resistance of about 0.9 ohm. I believe my coil is too short to be getting proper hits with this rod

itschad,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I have 2 black rods. The cracked one does not get warm or produce vapor, but the other one does get warm and produces (whispy) hits so far. It has a resistance of about 0.9 ohm. I believe my coil is too short to be getting proper hits with this rod
I could be wrong but I don't think that's the case.

How far above the coil does your rod stick out (estimate)

Mynameismud,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Is that a telescoping mod? If not you should think about getting something that works with a 18350 really brings the size down to a better size for travel
this one is not a telescopic mod, the one for portable use outside and about, is telescopic and very lightweight aluminum. I like this big heavy one for at home at the desk! I can take a sleeve off and turn this brass mod into a 18350 or telescopic my other one down, but those batteries don't provide the constant power for 3 days of use without touching the battery. The Sony vtc5's are amazing batteries. I take my thermovape dart out and about, it's a bit smaller. :rockon:

itschad

I could be wrong but I don't think that's the case.

How far above the coil does your rod stick out (estimate)

I would say that the particular coil I was using came up just less than half way above the part of the rod that actually sticks through. Swapped to a TI coil and put a dollup of wax in and im getting visible (though not thick) exhales now, so its an improvement

itschad,

Caligula

Maximus
@kushcabbage

Yes sir!

However that's related to my other hobby/money pit. I was referencing the round oil stain from the top cap. I've got those all over the place. Heh.

@THC SCIENTIFIC @nao12000

I see my dead Persei top got to you guys last week (Wednesday I believe) but I haven't seen any movement with the ticket. Did I miss last weeks window for repair day?

Caligula,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I would say that the particular coil I was using came up just less than half way above the part of the rod that actually sticks through. Swapped to a TI coil and put a dollup of wax in and im getting visible (though not thick) exhales now, so its an improvement
My cuts SS coil that I use with the black rod is almost exactly the size of 2 Ti coils stacked. Only the tip of the rod (maybe a mm or 2 sticks out)

With 1 Ti coil, your gonna want probably about you gonna want it full saturated, and then a good pool of oil ontop. Press heat for a few seconds, keep pressing give it a few puffs without inhaling then let go and re press the power instantly (to avoid the cutoff) and give it a long, slow inhale...

I will say that when I have 1 Ti coil in my sr71 at least half of the rod is sticking out of the coil... So maybe you should try 2 coils and load a little more?

Mynameismud,
Reactions: 215z

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Ok, got some pics ready of the Hammer E-nail setup. And a video too. I get 3 hits off of that small tenacious dab. ( it didn't want to die). The first one tastes great. The second and third, meh. The third one would have been better if I had gotten the dome on there quicker. This is sort of like med/low temp carb cap hits.
ghI1Rnj.jpg

WNgjCTd.jpg

Hedonismbot

So I've been using the IRIS all weekend. All I can say is wow! Seriously don't know how I ever lived without it. 6.8V is great... But I have some wax that has too much chlorophyll in it. Tasted like crap in a rig, tasted like crap in the Ti Kiss.. Dialed the Iris down to 6.3 and whoa huge clouds still and tastes decent!

The Iris is a miracle worker. Seriously every herc owner needs it. Being able to check the resistance is clutch! I have the V1 but I can only imagine how great the battery indicator on the v2 will be. When they come out they should just start pairing the iris with the hercules...I've only used the sr71 rod so far. @Hedonismbot scared me off of the black rod but @THC SCIENTIFIC gave the green light so I'm gonna give that a shot in the next couple days...more interested to see how it works with just herbs at around 4 volts...

Oh and the v1 power down flaw is not even an issue with the Hercules. Just do it when you want your last hit and you get a lung buster

I've been eagerly waiting for your first report on the Iris. I'm glad to see that you are just as enthused about it as I was. I agree with you that the Iris should become a standard item for the Percules. I would like to see a deluxe Persei package made available with 2 AW 18350s, the Iris and a Hercules with a 1.5 ohm heating rod. UpTech/W9 would rule the canabis concentrate vaporizer market!

What resistance readout did the Iris give you for your Herc with the SR-71 white rod? If it was 1.5 ohms at room temperature then your 6.8v level was about 31 watts. Your 6.3v level would be about 26 watts. If you haven't done it already, try also measuring the resistance immediately after a few hits when the Herc is at its hottest. My 1.5 ohm cold rod resistance climbs to 1.8-1.9 ohms.

As far as the battery level indicator on the v2 Iris prototype I'm skeptical how useful it would really be. What I'd rather see is a simple indicator that would tell me if the Iris were in regulation or not. It should be relatively simple to implement. If the battery voltage is above the set voltage then the Iris is in regulation, if the battery voltage is below the set point then it has fallen out of regulation and you need to put in a fresh set of batteries. And, why waste space with a tiny battery level graphic when you can just hold the "-" down and get a much more accurate battery voltage level indication. If there were room on the display I'd rather see a readout of the current (in amps) since I think this is where a lot of people may get in trouble.

As far as using the 0.8 ohm black rod on the Iris I still don't recommend it. You'll only be getting a power range of 15-20 watts. The SR-71 white rod has a much greater power range with the Iris (8 to 36 watts) and provides it much more safely. The only reason I can think of for even wanting to try this combo is that you could easily and quickly switch to a stealth setup (single battery, standard top) while leaving the black rod in the Herc. But again, I wouldn't do it. If you go ahead anyway make sure you unscrew the Herc before you turn off the Iris. Also beware, as I remember, the Iris wraps around from 3.5v to 7.4 volts when you are setting the voltage level.

Yes, the Hercules in a high power/voltage configuration (white rod) just laughs off the v1 Iris power surges but they can be deadly for lower power/voltage configurations.

Good luck and keep your Iris reports coming.

Hedo

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
As far as the battery level indicator on the v2 Iris prototype I'm skeptical how useful it would really be. What I'd rather see is a simple indicator that would tell me if the Iris were in regulation or not. It should be relatively simple to implement. If the battery voltage is above the set voltage then the Iris is in regulation, if the battery voltage is below the set point then it has fallen out of regulation and you need to put in a fresh set of batteries. And, why waste space with a tiny battery level graphic when you can just hold the "-" down and get a much more accurate battery voltage level indication. If there were room on the display I'd rather see a readout of the current (in amps) since I think this is where a lot of people may get in trouble.

fuck-yeah-aww-yeah-l.png

eZnjE.jpg

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I've been eagerly waiting for your first report on the Iris. I'm glad to see that you are just as enthused about it as I was. I agree with you that the Iris should become a standard item for the Percules. I would like to see a deluxe Persei package made available with 2 AW 18350s, the Iris and a Hercules with a 1.5 ohm heating rod. UpTech/W9 would rule the canabis concentrate vaporizer market!

What resistance readout did the Iris give you for your Herc with the SR-71 white rod? If it was 1.5 ohms at room temperature then your 6.8v level was about 31 watts. Your 6.3v level would be about 26 watts. If you haven't done it already, try also measuring the resistance immediately after a few hits when the Herc is at its hottest. My 1.5 ohm cold rod resistance climbs to 1.8-1.9 ohms.

As far as using the 0.8 ohm black rod on the Iris I still don't recommend it. You'll only be getting a power range of 15-20 watts. The SR-71 white rod has a much greater power range with the Iris (8 to 36 watts) and provides it much more safely. The only reason I can think of for even wanting to try this combo is that you could easily and quickly switch to a stealth setup (single battery, standard top) while leaving the black rod in the Herc. But again, I wouldn't do it. If you go ahead anyway make sure you unscrew the Herc before you turn off the Iris. Also beware, as I remember, the Iris wraps around from 3.5v to 7.4 volts when you are setting the voltage level.

Yes, the Hercules in a high power/voltage configuration (white rod) just laughs off the v1 Iris power surges but they can be deadly for lower power/voltage configurations.

Good luck and keep your Iris reports coming.

Hedo
Thanks! Measures exactly as you described... I don't have it with me ATM but from cold it measured 1.5 ohm and jumped up when warm (not sure of exact measurement)...I haven't really been paying attention to the watts because it changes as you use it. But I do know the last time I used it, it was at 6.3V and measured somewhere around 27 watts on my first hit...

As for the black rod, I'm more Interested in trying it with just herbs...which I got okay results with just the black rod but I figured if you could increase it just slightly we might have a winner... What voltage on the white rod would be equivalent to the black rod at 4.0V? I don't want to take a chance burning anything....(Hercules, Iris or herbs lol)

And as for the battery thing, yeah It doesn't really matter to me how or why it works. I just think it would be so much more convenient to have something telling me the battery is getting low as opposed to just guessing based on vapor production and/or getting the blinking lights of death....

The only thing I would change as of right now would be the finish. The chrome looks snazzy, but it has so many scratches and smudges it drives me crazy with my OCD...

Hedonismbot

As for the black rod, I'm more Interested in trying it with just herbs...which I got okay results with just the black rod but I figured if you could increase it just slightly we might have a winner... What voltage on the white rod would be equivalent to the black rod at 4.0V? I don't want to take a chance burning anything....(Hercules, Iris or herbs lol)

And as for the battery thing, yeah It doesn't really matter to me how or why it works. I just think it would be so much more convenient to have something telling me the battery is getting low as opposed to just guessing based on vapor production and/or getting the blinking lights of death....

As I show in the 3rd row of my table the black rod at 4v is 20 watts and the equivalent voltage with the SR-71 white rod is 5.5v. I would start there.

7NKhljo.jpg

I always got in the habit of checking both the resistance and the battery voltage level by holding the "+" and then the "-" before each session.

Last edited:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
As I show in the 3rd row of my table the black rod at 4v is 20 watts and the equivalent voltage with the SR-71 white rod is 5.5v. I would start there.

7NKhljo.jpg

I always got in the habit of checking both the resistance and the battery voltage level by holding the "+" and then the "-" before each session.
Wait the V1 can check battery voltage? When I hit + and - it just turns the LCD off

Mynameismud,

Hedonismbot

So I just checked it and it's registering 7.7V...what voltage should I be switching batteries at?

I swap batteries when the battery voltage falls below my set voltage. So, if I set the voltage to 6.8v I will swap batteries when the battery voltage falls to a little above that. That way the Iris is always regulating, giving you consistant hits.

Isn't the Iris awesome!

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
this one is not a telescopic mod, the one for portable use outside and about, is telescopic and very lightweight aluminum. I like this big heavy one for at home at the desk! I can take a sleeve off and turn this brass mod into a 18350 or telescopic my other one down, but those batteries don't provide the constant power for 3 days of use without touching the battery. The Sony vtc5's are amazing batteries. I take my thermovape dart out and about, it's a bit smaller. :rockon:
I've got a Sony VTC 5 as well for my ecig setup. It's fantastic, works very well with my .8ohm coil and my other stuff. LG just came out with a new battery as well.

lolkosha

So I went hiking with some friends and lost my sr74 screw-on mouth piece. Is there anywhere to buy a replacement?

lolkosha,
Top Bottom