Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

thevaf

G - troubleshooting an issue for a friend, what should the WHITE rod's resistance read? 1.2ohms?

thevaf,
Reactions: OF

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Anybody know a reason to choose flat top over the nipple top? Just using them for my Persei, no other applications.

Silver420Surfer,

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Ok, so lets start this....

Got the SR71 today. Hooray.

Did what i had read with people saying use 30% coil. Was using shatter with white rod.

Was dusting (less than a second each time) the button to liquify the shatter.

Then when its ready, the girl decides to give it a go. first hit (2 seconds), ok. Second hit (three seconds), ok. Third hit (five seconds), getting less vapor. Fourth hit (ten seconds), alot less.

So i decide to give it a go. Two seconds into the fifth hit, smoke is coming out of the bottom holes of the battery spring spot. Look in there and THE FUCKING BATTERY IS GLOWING RED.

I set it on the floor and roll it away and go into another room further away. No pop.

So.... What the fuck just happened?

It was two AW IMR 18350s. They were set right, hadnt been using in a long time (6+ months). Nothing between them to short them out.

Last edited:
Porquiplane,

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
Bummer. Another brave soldier is lost. My sr-71 has burned a few tops too, and two sets of batteries (once the spring fused saved me). Luckily the warranty is rock solid. I see you're rockin' double persei so I must not be telling you anything new. Burning batteries smell bad.

Patrick Hughes,

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Ok, so lets start this....

Got the SR71 today. Hooray.

Did what i had read with people saying use 30% coil. Was using shatter with white rod.

Was dusting (less than a second each time) the button to liquify the shatter.

Then when its ready, the girl decides to give it a go. first hit (2 seconds), ok. Second hit (three seconds), ok. Third hit (five seconds), getting less vapor. Fourth hit (ten seconds), alot less.

So i decide to give it a go. Two seconds into the fifth hit, smoke is coming out of the bottom holes of the battery spring spot. Look in there and THE FUCKING BATTERY IS GLOWING RED.

I set it on the floor and roll it away and go into another room further away. No pop.

So.... What the fuck just happened?

It was two AW IMR 18350s. They were set right, hadnt been using in a long time (6+ months). Nothing between them to short them out.

First time experiencing this though. Thought it was going to blow!

No idea why it happened though. I just opened it and the spring is all crumpled down now. 1000% it was not crumpled before using it. Its completely stuck in a crumpled position now. As you said, Fused, would be the word i would use.

Insane.

***Edit 1*** My warranty is up so im screwed. Id need atleast one new AW IMR 18350 and a new battery bottom. I dont have the money for that either. I bought the persei way way back. The body is one of the new bodies that doesnt have a serial or persei logo (the black one) and an old top (had the same two tops since i got it). The other persei i have is the old body (3xxx Serial) and the double top.

*****Pictures EDIT*****

Last edited:
Porquiplane,

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
Yeah this happens with the sr-71. they will send you an updated head. Just go to the W9 website, click on the envelope icon, and fill out the form. I keep an extra spring now for emergencies (they only cost like five bucks). If your second Persei is still on its first head, it might happen on that one too. I just got a second Persei and a second sr-71 with black rod, so I will likely go through this again soon too. Don't give up. This is a necessary step. I never, ever use the standard carts anymore.

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
there must be an issue with the sr-71 assembly. can you measure the resistance of it when assemblied?

sounds like it over currented the top and the spring safety feature engaged. the sr-71 has a short issue

Last edited:
PhotoRider,
Reactions: Caligula

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
there must be an issue with the sr-71assembly. can you meadure the resistance of it when assemblied?

sound like it over currented the top and the spring safety feature engaged. the sr-71 has a short issue

The battery is fried, no way of testing it now. unless you can test it without a battery. Where would you test it (like where to put each lead and what setting)?

Yeah this happens with the sr-71. they will send you an updated head. Just go to the W9 website, click on the envelope icon, and fill out the form. I keep an extra spring now for emergencies (they only cost like five bucks). If your second Persei is still on its first head, it might happen on that one too.

Ill have to pay for the new top (if it were to break) as im out of warranty. The top still works, but my battery and spring and battery bottom are fried. Its all that together + a top out of warranty (if it happens), thats what kills it. Thatd be like ~60 bucks for all of it.

Porquiplane,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Ill have to pay for the new top. Im out of warranty. The top still works, but my battery and spring and battery bottom are fried. Its all that together + a top out of warranty (if it happens), thats what kills it. Thatd be like ~60 bucks for all of it.
if ur an og persei, you have a lifetime warranty. secondly, if ur an og persei you should have upgraded tops a while ago for free, no matter, you can now. i am 100% that you'll be taken care of. PLEASE read the thread from when the hercs came out. it is a complicated device. proper tops and hard strong contact with the rod collar w/ proper position is CRUCIAL. if not done it will still flash out.

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
if ur an og persei, you have a lifetime warranty. secondly, if ur an og persei you should have upgraded tops a while ago for free, no matter, you can now. i am 100% that you'll be taken care of. PLEASE read the thread from when the hercs came out. it is a complicated device. proper tops and hard strong contact with the rod collar w/ proper position is CRUCIAL. if not done it will still flash out.
Yeah don't panic. Contact the company before you freak out. They have gone above and beyond for me.

Patrick Hughes,

PhotoRider

use an ohm meter and measure the resistance across the two contacts - the threaded plug that goes into the persei. it should measure at least 1.5 ohms.

no need for tyhe persei or batteries to do this. ohm meters are like $10 at radio shack, walmarts etc

Last edited:
PhotoRider,
Reactions: Darb

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Thanks for the response all. Will contact w9 tomorrow, hopefully something works out.

Should i start from where the hercs came out or the sr71s? Ive been here since way way before the first herc came out and read the first herc stuff but skimmed through the sr71 stuff as i doubted id get one.

Any idea when it was first released?

Porquiplane,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
you can search just posts by me. when you get back to the prototype video you have gone back before the metal mouthpiece insert was sent out. you have gone back more than far enough. skip air flow issues and read about assembly watch all assembly videos (one by me, one by 'g', maybe others) pay attention to rod collar position and heat it gently then crank collar down around rod. if you don't know what whose sentences mean, you haven't read enough. also there is a .pdf manual here somewhere as well.

Caligula

Maximus
@Porquiplane

What I suggest is calling W9 and having them walk you through the proper assembly of the Hercules over the phone. If you need even more help, G can Skype with you for visual references.

Also just buy these to replace your batteries, they work just as well as the AWs and the price speaks for itself:

http://www.amazon.com/IMR-18350-3-7v-Rechargeable-Button/dp/B00D0ODHKS/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Edit: this charger is also super tits:

http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Inte...Generation/dp/B005UAI372/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

Last edited:
Caligula,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Porq if the batteries vented this means the sping plate was screwed all the way up, this prevented the spring from collapsing and disconnecting the battery.

It is some times neglected but proper maintenance of the spring is needed.

What in guessing happened was through out its use you didnt notice the spring collapsing and every time you charged the battery they you adjusted the spring even further up, once the spring was at a point that it couldn't collapse this means the batteries never had a chance to disengage from the top preventing a venting situation.

In other words a combination of improper assembly, spring plate not being in proper condition, and older tops.

Easily fixable with a new spring plate and tops.

PhotoRider

Note to self, spring maintenance and double check it when putting in fresh batteries. If you must adjust the plate, inspect the spring to make sure it has not collapsed some...

PhotoRider,

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Porq if the batteries vented this means the sping plate was screwed all the way up, this prevented the spring from collapsing and disconnecting the battery.

It is some times neglected but proper maintenance of the spring is needed.

What in guessing happened was through out its use you didnt notice the spring collapsing and every time you charged the battery they you adjusted the spring even further up, once the spring was at a point that it couldn't collapse this means the batteries never had a chance to disengage from the top preventing a venting situation.

In other words a combination of improper assembly, spring plate not being in proper condition, and older tops.

Easily fixable with a new spring plate and tops.

As i said before it was the newer spring. And the full assembly was checked prior to use. The ones that come with the SS kit. Where the spring is in a set position, no using the adjustment tool for those. It is the kit from this page HERE. So there is no way of adjusting the spring.

The 18650 were in the tube so it was removed via the bottom of the unit (removing battery bottom cap) and the 18350s inserted. The Hercules was opened fully to see how it was assembled (mouthpiece, sleeve, metal cap for rod section/mouthpiece, rod, bottom threaded vented section near rod base, coil, and threaded portion to persei). It was all reassembled and began use.

The unit hasnt been used for a long time and the full assembly was checked prior to its SR71 use. Spring had never compressed like it is in the picture. WHILE the smoke out the bottom was occurring you could hear the spring (im assuming) crumpling down. Sounded like metal adjusting under heat/cold or like metal while welding.

Note to self, spring maintenance and double check it when putting in fresh batteries. If you must adjust the plate, inspect the spring to make sure it has not collapsed some...

The measurement comes up between 1.7 - 2.0 ohms.

Last edited:
Porquiplane,

PhotoRider

The measurement comes up between 1.7 - 2.0 ohms.

OK, that is fine for a Persei and should not have caused an over current situation and cause the spring to collapse. Got to be more to it like the top did something and shorted... Unsure, but it looks like the SR-71 is right on resistance

PhotoRider,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
@Atomsk last time you had this same issue and you adjusted the bottom adapter if im not mistaken right?

Have you tried to adjust it again?

Also if your coil is cut to 30% how is oil getting into the mouth piece? are you using two coils?

G, I adjust the bottom insulator before every use now. I disengage the heater core, turn the bottom screw a few threads, engage the heater core to the insulator, and turn the bottom screw back in til just before it's tight. If I don't do this, every other time it doesn't heat up period.

I think when I first fixed the issue, this was just one variable among a couple and it changed the equation enough to distract me. We're back at the drawing board, though.

Next, my coil is flush with the rod. I'm thinking this is the 30, but it may be 40. When this issue started, I had just switched from the first coil I was using (the one you cut for me at the SD meet) to a new 40 coil. That didn't work out well, as you might recall. The next coil, a 30, kept sliding up the upper chamber. I switched it out, and now every coil does this amazing thing where they seem to repel oil.

As to my issue, I seem to be riding a line where oil both gets in to my mouthpiece and leaks in to the bottom chamber (THREADS, GREAT). Alongside this, I can expect 10 hits with no vapor and just gurgles, then about 2-5 good hits without gurgles that subside at the last hit. Then I check the coil to see the top most area is bone dry, most oil is in my bottom chamber or mouthpiece.

Every time I use the Herc I have to reclaim from the bottom chamber, then scrape out the mouthpiece if I don't want to load more. And normally, for not wanting to waste those tiny bits that stay on fingers or scraping tools or in the chamber threads again or in the mouth piece again, I don't like loading more. I just repeat this really sad, annoying process of disassembling, scraping, reassembling.

I am waiting for my black rod to see if this helps out at all. Should be here tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'll send everything back in for your review. Only reason I'm not doing so yet is because, like you G, I don't like the down time.

@Caligula For troubleshooting, they always tell me to run the heater core to the Persei top just to see if it will heat up. Goddamn, if it the way it does without the insulator alllllllllllll the time. It's only ever for the one test run though. Might be nice to dab this way every once in a while?

edit:
As my luck would have it, immediately after typing this post I tried something new that seems to have fixed my problem (for now).

With the Heater Core fully assembled, I turned it's bottom screw very slightly counter-clockwise. It was gurgling just before this. Now it's hitting like a newborn Herc.

Will post back in a few hits with progress report.

progress:
YEAH. If you run in to anything like what I described in my last couple posts, do this bolded section above. Herc is now hitting on command once again.

Still getting oil in the mouthpiece but not as much as before. Before it would clog the whole airway if I didn't keep an eye on it. Don't want to open up the bottom chamber yet, it's hitting so well I don't want to mess it up.

@BLAZING OG Give it a try!

Last edited:
Top Bottom