Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

WaxOnWaxOff

I measured the resistance on the fuse I got from discountvapers. It measured .4 ohms however my device reads .4 ohms when I touch the two terminals to each other, so the fuse doesn't seem to have a measurable amount of resistance with my particular multimeter.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
I measured the resistance on the fuse I got from discountvapers. It measured .4 ohms however my device reads .4 ohms when I touch the two terminals to each other, so the fuse doesn't seem to have a measurable amount of resistance with my particular multimeter.

Measure it in the device, with and without to see how much the voltage drops. Also measure the amp limit on it.

Plus the new Persei tops already have this function but it's not a throw away.

Rhino420

i'm about to order the black rod, but I have a couple questions for those guys that already have been using them.

1) would you say that you can load more wax at a time without having to worry about leaks?

2) would you guys say that the nibbler xl make any kind of a difference in taste or effect or smoothness(no harsh vapor) with the use of the black rod? the reason I ask is because it seems like everyone that has them say the taste and smoothness already is top notch. (iv'e water filtered the vape from the white rod, and i'd say that made the vape much smoother

3) G this one is just for you. what is your current set up? do you run your herc with a nibbler xl when not on the go... like at home or office?

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Looks like that's only good to 5 amps. also it doesn't say if it supports 8.4v. I just got a fuse from discountvapers for $5 that i'm using in the Persei. It's good for 7 amps and it supports stacked 18350's, but I believe it is one time use. (although if i'm careful i shouldn't ever need it). It also causes the bottom cap to only thread about 90% in, but I don't see that as an issue.
I think some were in the description it says if its slightly over 5 amps its okay but as you start rising passed that then it trips quicker and quicker as it reaches a certain point.
They also stated its made for stacked cells, so 8.4 with fully charged cells should be ok.
According the amp/watt calculator it says 8.4 volts 42 watts = 5 amp's.
Someone more technical in this field might be able to see if its worthy.
http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/volts-watts-amps-converter

The Shortstop is re-usable.

Quoted from the website

ShortStop will fit in most devices using 18mm or larger cells ( 26650, 18650, 18500, etc.. ), because it is slightly smaller in diameter at approximately 17mm and only about 3mm thin. ShortStop has no polarity, meaning it works in any orientation and on either side of the battery. You can use ShortStop in multi-cell or 'stacked' configurations, so long as the sum of voltages of all of the cells in the series are less than or equal to 12 volts DC. ShortStop can be used with protected cells, and doing so will give you the peace of mind knowing that ShortStop will act at approximately 5 Amperes, providing a large flexibility in atomizer/cartomizer type and resistance. Bottom line, if it fits, it works and keeps working! Please make sure you read and understand all of the instructions and precautions included with your ShortStop before using.

The best part about ShortStop is that it is reusable. After ShortStop does its job, it simply needs a short cool down period before it is ready to use again.

ShortStop will begin current limiting around 5 Amperes.
The time it takes to intervene depends on how much current the battery is pumping through it, if you exceed 5 amps by a large margin it will react much faster than if you only go slightly over 5 amps.

hope this helps.

http://holocronlabs.com/?page_id=107

h
ShortStop

ShortStop is a revolutionary new product that helps protect you against shorts that my develop when you’re using high power lithium ion cells(batteries). The really neat thing that ShortStop brings to the table is that it does not self destruct after protecting you, and it can simply be reused over and over again after only a short cool down period. Using ShortStop is very simple, you just place it between your battery and whatever that battery is powering. You may insert ShortStop in any orientation and it will work just fine, it has no polarity. You can also place ShortStop at either end of the battery ( positive or negative ). When we use the term battery we mean the single or multi-cell collection that makes up your ‘battery’, that means if you are using more than one cell, then both cells combined would be the ‘battery’.

Each ShortStop is individuality sealed in static resistive packaging(That’s why it’s pink.).

You can click this link and download the ShortStop Instructions (Adobe PDF).

Detailed Information:
ShortStop works up to 12 volts DC, and trips at approximately 5 Amperes.

ShortStop is approximately 17mm(0.66 in.) in diameter, and only about 3mm(0.11 in.) thick, so if it fits, it works.

The time it takes to intervene depends on how much current the battery is pumping through it, if you exceed 5 amps by a large margin it will react much faster than if you only go slightly over 5 amps. Using the standard test that ANSI/NFPA 70 (the national electrical code) specifies, it will limit 8 amperes within 5 seconds starting from an ambient temperature of about 77 degrees Fahrenheit ( 23 degrees Celsius ), however at 10 amperes, it will intervene in about 1 second under the same conditions. The long and short of all of that is that your ShortStop will react faster to bad or dead shorts because your battery is going to be delivering a tremendous amount of current. This helps to prevent your battery ever getting hot enough for the chemicals inside to get to a temperature that would cause them to vent or catch fire. The other great thing about the technology we employ is that it more or less is electrically invisible when you do not need it. It adds less than 0.01 ohms to the circuit when it is not active. That means that when you are using your device the ShortStop will not be eating up power when it’s not needed.

ShortStop is constructed using RoHS and PbFree methods (in otherwords a lead free process ). Our PCBs are finished in silver, and our solder is completely lead free, we also go to the extra measure of using ‘no-clean’ type products, that do not cause us to use solvents that are harmful to the environment to clean ShortStop. ShortStop is hand assembled and packaged in our facility in Florida.

All content ( including images ) are copyright 2013 by HolocronLabs and can not be used without permission, all rights reserved.

Persei top is rated at 5 amps and it doesn't trip with herc I would assume this would work.

Also the new persei tops have similar protection built in but can still fry the (collapse)spring at times(saves your top but not spring all the time), saves down time and protects spring replacements with this fuse if it actually worked in the persei?!.

Last edited:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Thanks, G! I'm guessing this means spare coils are going up too, now?

@Mynameismud @PhotoRider @BLAZING OG

You fellas have the black rods, right?

What coil sizes and consistencies do you find work best with the black rod?
Sorry been away all week. Ive been mainly using shatter since i got the hercules SR71. I find that with shatter at least, a 30% coil works best. The rod is sticking out about 1mm above the coil approximately. This is the same sized coil i used with shatter in the white rod, so i would say coil size is the same as the white rod as it is with the black rod. If anything you would want a slightly smaller coil witht he black rod then u would use with the white rod.

i'm about to order the black rod, but I have a couple questions for those guys that already have been using them.

1) would you say that you can load more wax at a time without having to worry about leaks?

2) would you guys say that the nibbler xl make any kind of a difference in taste or effect or smoothness(no harsh vapor) with the use of the black rod? the reason I ask is because it seems like everyone that has them say the taste and smoothness already is top notch. (iv'e water filtered the vape from the white rod, and i'd say that made the vape much smoother

3) G this one is just for you. what is your current set up? do you run your herc with a nibbler xl when not on the go... like at home or office?

1) i dont know about loading more oil, but ive been loading the same amount i did with the same coil and the white rod (0.2 buffer, then another 0.2-0.4). And i have had zero leaks with the black rod. I have even purposfully left it standing up and not cooling it down after using it (the 2 reasons i believe it leaked with my white rod) and it still has yet to leak. The shatter doesnt melt in as easily as it did witht he white rod, thats about the only trade off. But regular oil and waxes melt in fine...

2) i dont have the nibbler xl, but ive tried the herc/black rod with the pinnacle water tube, and found little to no difference in the size, quality, taste, and smoothness of the hits. If you have a sensitive throat or extra money laying around it is probably a nice addition. And i think i would definitely want one if i only had the white rod, but for me i dont think its necessary with the black rod

I cant wait for others to get the black rod, it has become my favorite and go to vape since i got it. @THC SCIENTIFIC I noticed in the store when you click hercules SR71 there is a white 7.4V option, a black 3.7V option and then the combo option. But no blue rod, is that no longer being offered or just an error while you get the site up and running? I have not gotten good results but i believe others have...trying the black rod out with herbs tomorrow and will report back as to how it goes. Hoping for better results.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Ive been mainly using shatter since i got the hercules SR71. I find that with shatter at least, a 30% coil works best. The rod is sticking out about 1mm above the coil approximately. This is the same sized coil i used with shatter in the white rod, so i would say coil size is the same as the white rod as it is with the black rod. If anything you would want a slightly smaller coil witht he black rod then u would use with the white rod.

Mynameismud:

Full Melt?
With the WHITE ROD?

I have SHATTER ready as well.

Since I have 2 SR71's your advise for set up of one BLACK and the other WHITE?

Kind regards,
ataxian

Recommend coil size?

Black = ?
White = ?

Kind regards,
ataxian

Caligula

Maximus
I'll just leave this here...

original.gif

http://io9.com/dilapidated-observatory-looks-like-the-planet-express-b-1441279249

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I would love to introduce it, but there is always a but, it would really make the Hercules look like a child's toy. In fact it's not even in the same league as the Hercules. It just won't compare in size of vapor production, and the complexity if the device. Oh boy lets not get into that.

Ya it's clean it's super sleek. But just doesn't produce vapor
Like the Hercules.

In other words stay tuned for this one.

The evil genius at work in my head says we have more innovations coming out.

Vapoholic420

-Loyal To The Oil-
@mehvape, sorry for the late response, but I do have a Persei that I run my Herc on, but just to see if it would work I used a 601-510 adapter and attempted to run my Hercules SR-71 on my Innokin SVD VV/VW device at 6 volts with the white rod and it still worked but took a little bit longer to heat up! With the Persei the vapor is right there by my second puff from a cold start and with the other one it was there by about the fourth puff. I think I had it at around 12 watts or so. So Idk about all the technical stuff bcuz I'm still somewhat new to the e-cig mods and stuff and I just bought this one, but I know the Innokin SVD runs mine with a 601-510 adapter. But I'd still recommend just getting the Persei. Then u know ur all set and W9Tech had awesome customer service too! Hope this helps.
Thank you! I guess I am shit out of luck :(

Any suggestions on something I can attach to my provari that actually works? I have seen a bunch of different attachments for dry herbs but they are all cheap china units with not so favorable reviews. I used to own a herbalaire vaporizer, I would like something at least as effective as that at producing vapor (it wasn't that great at all).

Thx

Vapoholic420,
Reactions: OF

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
@THC SCIENTIFIC

Any news on the Black Rod ship date? Also, what's up with the AAF Washer? I'm having those same issues we discussed, I think, I hope, it's just an airflow issue.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Trying to catch up but i think we started out on Friday to ship out the Black Rods.

AAF is still under consideration, Im trying to remember what your issues where.

@Mynameismud The Blue rods are being switched to Omicron Duty. For now Black and White is what we have.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Thanks for all the info on the Hecrules coils folks.
After being frustrated with my lack of experience with the coils(not to beat a dead horse,but lack of info in the manual also), I revisited my Persei/Herc combo with the white rod. Realizing I didn't need to screw with the coil each time like I was doing prior(lifting it in and out unnecessarily), I just concentrated on proper loading and melting in my wax. I sure was rewarded with some amazingly huge rips and great taste. The Persei/Herc seems to be able to produce massive hits and a smooth taste. I did not find the vapor to be too hot for me personally and thought the volume of vapor was insane. I was able to take some smaller rips that would simulate how I would use when out and about, very flavorful just less vapor. And when I wanted that knockout rip, the Persei/Herc delivered there big time. Still not sure on how long it will last using (2) 3.7v 18350's but I will find out soon. I think I am ready to take it out on the go for a day.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Thanks for all the info on the Hecrules coils folks.
After being frustrated with my lack of experience with the coils(not to beat a dead horse,but lack of info in the manual also), I revisited my Persei/Herc combo with the white rod. Realizing I didn't need to screw with the coil each time like I was doing prior(lifting it in and out unnecessarily), I just concentrated on proper loading and melting in my wax. I sure was rewarded with some amazingly huge rips and great taste. The Persei/Herc seems to be able to produce massive hits and a smooth taste. I did not find the vapor to be too hot for me personally and thought the volume of vapor was insane. I was able to take some smaller rips that would simulate how I would use when out and about, very flavorful just less vapor. And when I wanted that knockout rip, the Persei/Herc delivered there big time. Still not sure on how long it will last using (2) 3.7v 18350's but I will find out soon. I think I am ready to take it out on the go for a day.

The only thing i can say is please make sure to properly cool the unit down.

SuckingTHC

My Percy's coming next day air ! I have Hercules and nibbler in box waitng let you guys know what I think after breaking it in tomorrow thanks Gary and Naomi !

Last edited:
SuckingTHC,

grumpy vaper

wow
I just got o e of these
didn't know e they had different names.
I found 3 versions
silver bullet
the bolt

and this one
vape-break.com /2012/10/the-boss/
,good deal, why Percy so expensive.
thank you
theboss_zpsf8c6cace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
grumpy vaper,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Trying to catch up but i think we started out on Friday to ship out the Black Rods.

AAF is still under consideration, Im trying to remember what your issues where.

@Mynameismud The Blue rods are being switched to Omicron Duty. For now Black and White is what we have.

I see. I'll keep checking the order fulfillment screen religiously.

My problem actually baffled you. Loaded correctly, assembled correctly, and hit correctly I wasn't getting any vapor, just pulling oil in to the mouthpiece. It was heating up really hot, and what was frustrating was either I only got a really warm puff of air, or a really harsh, burned tasting, wispy hit.

I tried loading less and it just tasted burned with no vapor, tried loading more, it was plain tasting with no vapor production and the oil being pulled in to the mouthpiece. I'm thinking if the Black Rod doesn't solve anything I'll send in the entire thing.

Right now I have it running ok. I loaded fresh oil and had the issue of the oil just being warmed and sucking in to the mouthpiece. I just held the button down way longer than normal and finally started getting decent sized hits again. Nothing monstrous anymore, just fair hits that are keeping me calm.

tl;dr My Herc is heating up enough for the oil to liquify, not to vape, but then also starts tasting burnt while almost never consistently producing vapor. Help. Please. I thought the Herc was supposed to instantly vaporize any oil above the buffer?

vaporchaser420

My problem actually baffled you. Loaded correctly, assembled correctly, and hit correctly I wasn't getting any vapor, just pulling oil in to the mouthpiece. It was heating up really hot, and what was frustrating was either I only got a really warm puff of air, or a really harsh, burned tasting, wispy hit.

I tried loading less and it just tasted burned with no vapor, tried loading more, it was plain tasting with no vapor production and the oil being pulled in to the mouthpiece. I'm thinking if the Black Rod doesn't solve anything I'll send in the entire thing.

Right now I have it running ok. I loaded fresh oil and had the issue of the oil just being warmed and sucking in to the mouthpiece. I just held the button down way longer than normal and finally started getting decent sized hits again. Nothing monstrous anymore, just fair hits that are keeping me calm.

tl;dr My Herc is heating up enough for the oil to liquify, not to vape, but then also starts tasting burnt while almost never consistently producing vapor. Help. Please. I thought the Herc was supposed to instantly vaporize any oil above the buffer?

I think I had the same problem but once I used fresh aw batteries and loaded more than I thought was necessary I strated to get consistently huge hits, if it seems like its taking a long time to heat up then definitely batteries, hope this helps

vaporchaser420,

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!

I think I had the same problem but once I used fresh aw batteries and loaded more than I thought was necessary I strated to get consistently huge hits, if it seems like its taking a long time to heat up then definitely batteries, hope this helps
Did you burn thru your buffer if so small little dabs wont produce much, Ive noticed you have to overly load it up or it wont work, loading like a generously(not to efficient) loaded coil is the way to go.
Batteries for sure are an issues, after one or 2 uses it has already drained most of the juice unless your using panasonic cgr18650ch (3.7v mode)or something (at least mine hold up better than the AW)
http://vapor-mania.com/Panasonic-CGR-18650-p307.html
AW are great for 18350's but the 18650 market has many options

sonys new 30amp limit

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=73723&sid=f9b88f1f770f32936a5d0f10ba397a0c

http://www.jowans.com/2-sony-us1865...rechargeable-li-on-18650-battery-1600mah-new/

http://vaporjoescanada.blogspot.com/2013/07/brand-new-battery-deal-sony-30-amp.html

http://www.fasttech.com/products/14...us18650vtc3-18650-1600mah-37v-rechargeable-li

Interesting find, they have been around for a while.

Good bundle price, these are 510 threaded for ecig atty's carto's etc, etc, but with a proper adapter might work for oil carts.

Cheers!

good luck!

Last edited:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral

I noticed my coil slid up a tiny bit higher from the coil than where I initially put it and noticed some whispier rips. As soon as I pushed it back down with my dabber, back to explosive rips.

I agree with Blazing OG that you do have to load up very generously. I think at one point I actually had a bit too much. My coil was just swimming in liquified goop. But after 1-2 lighter(not much) rips, it was back to banging out the big rips I am beginning to know and love.

Also one thing I think helped me was I didn't hear the "sizzle" when I pressed the button on the Persei(I usually follow the 6 sec on, then let go while starting rip, maybe a pulse or 2 till done). That's when I noticed my coil was a tad bit out of place. I do the cool down rips religiously and may have hit so hard I made the coil slide up just a tad.

I am only beginning my Persei journey so no disrespect Atomsk, if I've stated the obvious. Good luck and i hope you find out what's holding back the Herc.
(Now I have Simply Red in my head singing)

"Holding back the Herc
Thinking bout this shat-ter I've held so long
Atomsk can't you hear
Listen for the sizzle to know its gone"

"Strangled by the vapor of og
shat-ter
Hoping for a new strain after
Get it to me sooner than later"

I'll be here all week folks. thanks for coming out!

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
I noticed my coil slid up a tiny bit higher from the coil than where I initially put it and noticed some whispier rips. As soon as I pushed it back down with my dabber, back to explosive rips.

I agree with Blazing OG that you do have to load up very generously. I think at one point I actually had a bit too much. My coil was just swimming in liquified goop. But after 1-2 lighter(not much) rips, it was back to banging out the big rips I am beginning to know and love.

Also one thing I think helped me was I didn't hear the "sizzle" when I pressed the button on the Persei(I usually follow the 6 sec on, then let go while starting rip, maybe a pulse or 2 till done). That's when I noticed my coil was a tad bit out of place. I do the cool down rips religiously and may have hit so hard I made the coil slide up just a tad.

I am only beginning my Persei journey so no disrespect Atomsk, if I've stated the obvious. Good luck and i hope you find out what's holding back the Herc.
(Now I have Simply Red in my head singing)

"Holding back the Herc
Thinking bout this shat-ter I've held so long
Atomsk can't you hear
Listen for the sizzle to know its gone"

"Strangled by the vapor of og
shat-ter
Hoping for a new strain after
Get it to me sooner than later"

I'll be here all week folks. thanks for coming out!
Please do not give up you day job please.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Mynameismud:

Full Melt?
With the WHITE ROD?

I have SHATTER ready as well.

Since I have 2 SR71's your advise for set up of one BLACK and the other WHITE?

Kind regards,
ataxian

Recommend coil size?

Black = ?
White = ?

Kind regards,
ataxian
Sorry been quite busy. Not real familiar with concentrate terminology...by full melt if your referring to bubble, i have not tried personally, but i would say its safe to say the white rod should be able to handle pretty much any type of concentrate.

The thicker and more solid, the shorter the coil should be. Ive pretty much only had shatter since i got the persei. I had to cut the coil to 30% to get it to work consistantly with the white rod, and have been using the same coil and oil with the black rod so from my experience I would say whatever sized coil you use with the white rod should also work for the black rod. Although if your using a full coil with the white rod i dont think that would work as well with the black rod even with the same oil. I would probably suggest half a coil (50%) as the biggest size with the black rod.

With the shatter i have, it would melt instantly into the coil with the white rod, its a little more difficult to get it to melt in fully with the black rod, and i do have to scrape around the top of the coil/outer diameter against the walls of the chamber from time to time which is the only trade off, but you also dont have to worry about pulsing the button and/or burning oil as well as not having to worry about it leaking period...

Thicker, more solid oil/concentrates i would suggest a 30% coil, with the ceramic rod just slightly sticking out above the coil. For both the black and white rods.

Waxes probably 30-40% coil with the black rod, 40-50% coil with the white rod

And liquidy oils 50% with the black rod, 50%-full coil with the white rod.

Ive only used shatter though, so those are just assumptions.

Also I would say thats a great idea to have one with the black rod and one with the white rod, but not necessary. At least for me...i havent even touched or thought about the white rod since i got the black rod. I did think it would be nice to have an extra upper section (where the rod and coil goes) so you could have one for herbs and one for oil without having to worry about removing the coil everytime. But if your only doing oil its really easy to just switch the rods out, and in that case it might be good to just set the other one aside(minus the extra rod) so you have spare parts in case something happens or you lose something?

Okay so are you recommending the black rod for just herbs now too (like the blue rod was) as well as just oil and/or mixed?

I havent gotten a chance to try my black rod with just herbs yet but should be able to tomorrow so ill report back sometime in the next few days as how it goes

Last edited:
Mynameismud,
Reactions: ataxian
Top Bottom