The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

BoogerMan

It's cold back home. Gotta stay warm :D

0276E88E-088A-4192-9E1A-EFEE4B6674A6_zps4cckrnsf.jpg

lwien

Tonight is the Wolf moon; named after the howling of hungry wolves in the height of winter.

You HAD to know that this was commin' eh?

Oh..........animal thread:

I think it's best to be nice to this girl and her hybrid:
h9FBYAN.jpg

Almost every time I go running, I see this guy walking his two HUGE snow white hybrids. Amazing looking animals. You can spot the wolf in them a mile away. Beautiful and majestically powerful.

clukx

I believe that, dogs have been breed as pets for a very long time it's in their dna to be compatible with humans I think I saw a special on dogs as well. Since wolves are and have been mostly wild it would make sense that they do not understand us as well..

lwien

There was a PBS episode about wolves and dogs a while back. I think @lwien posted it. It was about studies that found that wolves cannot read the human face the way dogs do.

lwien, do you remember the name of that show? I know it was a Nova series but can't find it.

No I don't. Sorry mom. But yeah, that's why you don't see people running around with pure wolves on leashes. Gotta get some dog DNA in there (hybrids) to get an animal that can relate to you.

How 'bout the size of that hybrid in that pic with that girl? It's fracking HUGE.

Had a friend that had one awhile back. Name was Samson. Great pet but when you looked into his eyes you could see a cold stealthiness there that definitely leaves an impression that there is, without a doubt, some wolf in there.

Next pic. Who knew that hippo's kiss? ;) Mamma and her calf.
Mj1JBvx.jpg

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker

Yeah! More Gene Simmons type animals!!!! Rock On @Seren :rockon:
Pets-with-Guinness-World-Records-2.jpg

No I don't. Sorry mom. But yeah, that's why you don't see people running around with pure wolves on leashes. Gotta get some dog DNA in there (hybrids) to get an animal that can relate to you.
No worries, @lwien. I got your back. :tup:

Isn't this the PBS episode that went over dogs reading facial expressions and wolves being unable?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
There's a family with good sized property raising and boarding horses that has two wolf hybrids. I do a long run by their property probably once a month and had seen them in a huge outside kennel a time or two. The kennel is a good 25 yards away from the road I run on. I noticed them due to sheer size and was surprised and really, really happy to note they never reacted by barking or acting aggressive when I would run by them like most dogs in a kennel or yard.

One day I was running through a small park near their house that empties out to the road their house is on. The park path curves before emptying out to the road so you can't see all of the path. I run high and listen to music and when I'm in the zone of a runner's high I am oblivious and slow to react. I came out of that curve and was surprised by a little girl walking one of the hybrids not more than 10 feet away on the path in front of me. She froze and I could see the shocked and surprised look on her face, the hybrid's snarl and mentally forced myself to keep the pace steady and act calm as I gave them the widest birth possible. No exaggeration, the dogs head, on all fours was shoulder height on me. I know you should never run from a dog but I also know dogs can hear your heartbeat, smell fear, etc. so decided that abruptly halting the run in front of them would be worse than continuing on at the same pace. It all turned out fine but there was no way that little girl was going to be able to stop that dog if he/she really wanted a piece of me. The whole thing couldn't have taken more than a second but felt like slow motion and I'm proud to say that the only liquid in my pants was due to sweat :rolleyes:

clukx

There's a family with good sized property raising and boarding horses that has two wolf hybrids. I do a long run by their property probably once a month and had seen them in a huge outside kennel a time or two. The kennel is a good 25 yards away from the road I run on. I noticed them due to sheer size and was surprised and really, really happy to note they never reacted by barking or acting aggressive when I would run by them like most dogs in a kennel or yard.

One day I was running through a small park near their house that empties out to the road their house is on. The park path curves before emptying out to the road so you can't see all of the path. I run high and listen to music and when I'm in the zone of a runner's high I am oblivious and slow to react. I came out of that curve and was surprised by a little girl walking one of the hybrids not more than 10 feet away on the path in front of me. She froze and I could see the shocked and surprised look on her face, the hybrid's snarl and mentally forced myself to keep the pace steady and act calm as I gave them the widest birth possible. No exaggeration, the dogs head, on all fours was shoulder height on me. I know you should never run from a dog but I also know dogs can hear your heartbeat, smell fear, etc. so decided that abruptly halting the run in front of them would be worse than continuing on at the same pace. It all turned out fine but there was no way that little girl was going to be able to stop that dog if he/she really wanted a piece of me. The whole thing couldn't have taken more than a second but felt like slow motion and I'm proud to say that the only liquid in my pants was due to sweat :rolleyes:
Great story telling skills!
Its amazing how affectionate and loving to his family a dog can be, and how scary and powerful it can be to a stranger, I kind of respect that.. We used to have a pure bred Rottweiler when I was pretty small that was exactly like the dog you described. it wasn't until I grew up that I realized there were breeds of dogs that people didn't like..dog racism lol

lwien

She froze and I could see the shocked and surprised look on her face, the hybrid's snarl and mentally forced myself to keep the pace steady and act calm as I gave them the widest birth possible.

Yup. Her shock and surprise no doubt sparked the reaction from the hybrid. You obvious did the best thing as far as how you reacted. The other thing that is really important here is to not make direct eye contact but rather look down or away. Direct eye contact could be construed as an act of aggression.

The bond between a kid and their dog:
MLiAwXx.jpg

7ctW0fy.jpg

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Yup. Her shock and surprise no doubt sparked the reaction from the hybrid. You obvious did the best thing as far as how you reacted. The other thing that is really important here is to not make direct eye contact but rather look down or away. Direct eye contact could be construed as an act of aggression.

The bond between a kid and their dog:
MLiAwXx.jpg

7ctW0fy.jpg
Other bondings....

A squirrel and his chick...:brow:
images

A monkey and his dog...
adopted_animals_13.jpg

A monkey and his pigeon....
AWIQ-IntercpeciesBonding-3012.jpg

A dog named Joey and, well, a Joey.... :lmao:
images