The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
So now that we have the pre-order business out of the way (thank you all kindly!), we can all dig into the next stage! It's time to get crafting!

I've been setting up the tools and shop furniture. The new milling machine has nestled in nicely. :)

I'll be sure to post lots of photos along the way.

p.s. - Grind size consistency has been really in my mind lately. Whether it's coffee...or bonsai soil.. again and again I run into things that need a consistent grind to allow for the flow of water...

So, I tried to even out the grind of my vaping material by sifting it through a kitchen sieve and collecting the perfectly sized particles that fell through. Well, I would recommend giving it a try!

Anyone have any experience with this?

RelaxedNow

So now that we have the pre-order business out of the way (thank you all kindly!), we can all dig into the next stage! It's time to get crafting!

I've been setting up the tools and shop furniture. The new milling machine has nestled in nicely. :)

p.s. - Grind size consistency has been really in my mind lately. Whether it's coffee...or bonsai soil.. again and again I run into things that need a consistent grind to allow for the flow of water...

So, I tried to even out the grind of my vaping material by sifting it through a kitchen sieve and collecting the perfectly sized particles that fell through. Well, I would recommend giving it a try!

Along with a variety of task-specific grinders, I've used a coffee grinder in the past. The grind size was pretty consistent, but finer than I'd prefer for some vapes. It worked well for micro doses in the Mistvape Touch though.

Lately. I've been following others' suggestions, and just tearing it up for the Tubo Evic. With that device, it seems to me that it doesn't matter too much, though I think tearing does work a little better. I also prefer tearing because I don't end up with an extra pile of dried-out dust-like material.

Whatever works though. We'll just have to get the Nomad in our hands and start sharing techniques. It's always fun to try out a new device.:)

little maggie

You don't? List closed for now, money was after
I'm still confused about whether I'm even on the list or not. I thought I responded immediately and imagine I would be in the second group if I had. I'm not. I could have daydreamed pressing the return button- never know. But am I wrong in thinking there are 100 or more people on the list?

little maggie,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60

I like @RelaxedNow's answer but want to add a few additional observations.
  1. Having read many posts in the grinder thread my belief is that most users of convection vapes lean towards a medium grind consistency as the air needs to be able to pass through the load evenly for a full extraction. This is the consistency I feel will work best with the Nomad but until I get to try it I couldn't say for sure.

2. A fine grind can reduce the airflow significantly and result in the centre of the load failing to vape. This means stirring between hits is required.

3. A fine grind tends to work better for conduction vapes as the denser the packing the easier it is for the heat to conduct. I believe the Nomad is mostly convection, hence why I feel a fine grind may not work so well.

4. Fine ground material will more easily slip through the gps in a screen so you are more likely to inhale fine particles along with the Vapour.

5. If you want a fine grind then I'm reading good things about the New Vape Fine Grinder. However it is a fairly expensive outlay for a grinder.

6. The MFLB finishing grinder is one I have and it produces the finest grind I've ever experienced with the added benefit of filtering out twigs. However, it's the most frustrating grinder to use, especially if you lack dexterity. It's a tiny grinder so you can only do small loads in it too. It's made of wood so cleaning it requires more care as you can't just soak it in ISO.

7. Coffee grinders work great to get that really powdery fine grind. They also tend to knock off and smash up the trichomes though resulting in lower quality vaping. Most of the veteran vapers advise against using coffee grinders. I agree with them except in cases where you need to grind a large amount and your hands don't work well enough to operate a manual grinder.

8. The real hardcore vape veterans will tear or use scissors to gently cut the bud so as to avoid damaging or knocking off the trichomes.

9. Every vape has it's own grind consistency sweetspot, I look forward to finding the Nomads :brow:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@GreenHopper, nice comments!

I use scissors.

I'm not really referring to the material straight out the grinder, though. But, adding an extra step to grinding to further increase consistency with the use of a sifting screen.

If I have what looks like an evenly ground pile of vaping material, I can sift it with a steel screen (Think flour sifter), and end up with a "fine" grind that falls through the screen, and a "medium" grind that stays on top of the screen.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60

I use scissors.

I'm not really referring to the material straight out the grinder, though. But, adding an extra step to grinding to further increase consistency with the use of a sifting screen.

If I have what looks like an evenly ground pile of vaping material, I can sift it with a steel screen (Think flour sifter), and end up with a "fine" grind that falls through the screen, and a "medium" grind that stays on top of the screen.

Hmmm :hmm:, I suspect you'll likely achieve a similar result with either of the fine grinders in my previous post but with less effort.

However I'm more than happy to give it a try. I have the MFLB finishing grinder to compare against but not the New Vape Fine.

If sifting is the way then this maybe the best sifter to use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Cup+sieve&psc=1

sixstringsmash

I use scissors.

@Dan Morrison I had a grinder years ago that I think does what you are referencing. I don't have it anymore or remember the brand(I think it might have been a spacecase? not sure.) but it was a normal looking metal grinder that had five pieces instead of the normal four. There were two pollinator screens located in it and gave out two types of consistency with what was extracted, coarse and fine.

Basically you would just grind the material like you would in any metal grinder, and the bud would fall down into the chamber. There was a coarse screen located under that chamber where finer bud particles(but not quite kief) would fall down. Under that chamber was another chamber with an even finer screen where all the kief would be collected. It was pretty nifty at the time but I also thought it to be quite gimmicky and I'm pretty sure I ended up removing the second screen and just used it as a four piece grinder after some time.

I do have to agree with @GreenHopper statement and will say that 95% of the time in all my vaporizers I prefer a coarser grind over a finer grind. There is a very small pool of vapes that I use my fine grinder with as I more prefer the taste and hits that come with a coarse grind that much more.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
The

N O M A D

Cometh!
vapor.gif

sauhamm

Wow. I wonder how many of us responded within a few seconds and still missed the second batch never mind the first. So have people gotten a third batch message as well?

i got my email at 7:00:04 (7 o'clock, zero minutes, 4 seconds) - i replied immediately and my sent item shows 7:00:07 - i didn't make the primary list nor the reserve :)

to a certain degree it was out of our hands, i've sent out plenty of email blasts to 50+ people... some people get it immediately, but for others it takes 5 seconds, or even 25 seconds...

all that to say, don't feel bad if you replied immediately and didn't get in - we all did and when you cram ~75 or so emails into a space of a few seconds... this is the end result :)

to be fair, by the time i received my email 4 seconds in, i'd wager both the initial and reserve lists were already full before i even hit reply!

I'm still confused about whether I'm even on the list or not. I thought I responded immediately and imagine I would be in the second group if I had. I'm not. I could have daydreamed pressing the return button- never know. But am I wrong in thinking there are 100 or more people on the list?

you're not on the 20 reserve list, if you were you'd have heard about it by now from dan... I'll send you a PM to clear up the confusion...

duff

Well worn
Did @Stu move the thread again?
:)

Chirp, chirp.

New shop space is as dope as ever, hopefully the last shop space I'll ever need.
How about some pics of where these Nomads will be conceived?

As with all chamber-in-stem vapes, cleaning is incredibly easy. I'd like to at least include two stems with each Nomad, so you'll always have a backup if one breaks.
I assume the collar just slides onto the stem. Is it wood on glass or is there some silicone involved?
Edit:
Thanks @vapen00b and @VAPEHUNTER . I missed that in my tubo'd search efforts!
Two o-rings it is!

@Dan Morrison may use some 3rd party stems? Would you please post some pics of the stem to understand its design?
Good question that I can't seem to find an answer for.
Pics of the loose stem/collar would be great.
(I really wish there was a way to search for posts with pics!)

On a different note have we thought at all about wood stems? might be nice for added durability, And were did we leave off on the WPA for this? is the size of the wood stem collar something that we can buy 3rd party glass adaptors for or are we going to have to rely on @Dan Morrison to supply us with them.
Wood stems would be killer on this guy!

As for the water connection, a thin piece of @Ratchett's whip around the stem should make a nice connection to an 18mm piece I would think.

@Dan Morrison, if we can't use standard stems will there be any options for different length stems?

Last edited:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Did @Stu move the thread again?
:)

Chirp, chirp.

How about some pics of where these Nomads will be conceived?

I assume the collar just slides onto the stem. Is it wood on glass or is there some silicone involved?

Good question that I can't seem to find an answer for.
Pics of the loose stem/collar would be great.
(I really wish there was a way to search for posts with pics!)

Wood stems would be killer on this guy!

As for the water connection, a thin piece of @Ratchett's whip around the stem should make a nice connection to an 18mm piece I would think.

@Dan Morrison, if we can't use standard stems will there be any options for different length stems?

hey bud,

good points!
As for the stem on glass or wood: the stems are supposed to be held by (3?) o-rings that will be housed in the collar. So the stem is being inserted into the collar, which holds the glass tube on the outside... Does that make sense? If you search back for Dan's posts only, you should find that passage quickly, I'd assume. :)

VAPEHUNTER

Actually it will only be two O-rings Dan found the third to be redundant.
Dan said↓
This is exactly the solution I went with. There are O-Ring grooves cut into the inside of the wooden stem collar. See image.

oxChMm5.jpg

There are three grooves here, but for the production model I am going down to two grooves, ditching the groove in the middle. It's just not needed.

The O-Rings slide against the smooth glass stem, pretty much the best possible situation for low wear and friction.

Top Bottom