'The Misty Log' - DIY wooden Log Vaporizer

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁πŸͺ΅πŸ’ͺπŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨
Cool stuff! Where is the air intake ,did you poked a hole in the glass ? I had a similar build featuring a DBV heater cover but i broke is soon after it was made :)).. I also like that you have added ss foil , 0.1mm is also what i use for mine it,the 316L makes rainbow colors when heat treated,i find it not only better for my eyes but also that it boost performance and u need less watts to get the job done than without it :)).
da-buddha-ground-glass-heater-cover-91-780x975.jpg
I filed a slit into the glass for an air intake. Worked out ok initially, but sadly I managed to break a bit more of the glass, when exchanging the bulb yesterday and trying to press against the ceramic socket through the air intake slit with a small screwdriver :(
Unit is still fully functional, though I need to get me some more of those 90Β° adapters.

Also made it a shorter handle :)

brainiac

log wrangler
@Vaporooni that's a really interesting project you have going there :tup:.
Are you happy with it's performance or is it still wip?

@Diggy Smalls big thanks for your kind word. "Awesome and beautiful", are in my mission statement :D

@blokenoname Yet more practical innovation from the Misty Labs :clap:.
That Bud Eater has come together really well :nod:. It's a very tidy piece of work. The beech handle makes
it look quite professional. And as build options go I guess it's relatively cheap and simple.

Finished off my first blackthorn unit today. Mixed result. Absolutely gorgeous wood but...
it split during the build.

Blackthorn-crack.jpg

Not entirely fatal, I hope. It's been running for a good 10 hours since I took this photo and the split
hasn't grown. Hopefully, it's stabilised.

Blackthorn-hand.jpg

Blackthorn-top.jpg

Here's one taken today with the base closed up. I went with the mustard coloured leather.

Blackthorn-base.jpg

Blackthorn is the wood traditionally used for the Irish shillelagh :) and it's a member of the plum family.
It grows in abundance around here and I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for some more of it.
It has to be found though as, apparently, it's bad luck cut one down.

This one's a resistor unit. Next up is another halogen, Rustic ash this time.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
That grain looks a lot like my Flowering Quince. Did the bark come off easily with a gummy attachment layer?

TommyDee,

brainiac

log wrangler
Did the bark come off easily
No. Quite the contrary. Blackthorn bark is really solid. Had to grind it off with a coarse sanding disc. But it's worth adding that some wood bark comes off relatively easily when the wood is freshly cut. In this instance I left the bark on during the drying process in the hope that it would help prevent splits :\.
Less dense wood which is less prone to splitting can be debarked when green. Interestingly, I found with apple, blanks debarked when fresh have a significantly different appearance from those debarked when dry.

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
https://www.ddavemods.com/store/p59/The_DDave_18mm_Tubo_Evic_VaporCooler_V3.html Great performance with the SS heat sleeve, Cut from a SS easy valve. No wip, Just Vapor cooler V3 and a cyclone bowl to hold the herb. I'm using a 20 watt with the dial all the way up and the vapor is cool with out water. This one idea I'm going with and will easily convert all my glass vases this way. Tested and approved. Never tasted the herb in other vapes so profoundly as this one. Nothing like taking a toke from something you've created and it works perfectly.

blokenoname

thank you @blokenoname
I built a Halo Bud Eater today and gotta say it's a teeny tiny beast!!
Thx :D Yeah,,. That little lady can cook! :rockon:
Great, that it worked out for you :tup:

Bud Eater 3.0 -streamlining- :cool:

Shorter handle; more compact GonG with a bowl, that is flatter but wider. Makes the whole affair much more handy :nod:
Tested it out with maybe two Vapcaps full in the bowl and got ample vapor in four massive hits at 8,5v and ~11,7w.

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
How long do these halogen diy Vapes take to get up to Temp to get some vapor?

Last edited:
Diggy Smalls,

blokenoname

How long do these halogen diy Vapes take to get up to Temp to get some vapor?

About 5 minutes, I'd say.

Any chance of a video with that setup?

I hate making vids, but I should be able to do a short one tonight or tomorrow.

I wonder if a single 18650 on a boost converter would work for the 20W solution. That would make for a very nice but short-lived portable.

Stainless tubes... sourcing. Working on obtaining some of the larger SS straws. Stay tuned.

We experimented a bit with halo portables a while ago. Guessing that you'll probably wanna control the whole affair via a box mod, go for a higher wattage bulb with less resistance, otherwise it'll be out of range for the board. I'd start with 50w. And look into the Venus Apollo thread for inspiration.

Hippie

I'm upto heat in less than 2 mins at 20W and vaping at just under 10.5W at the moment, with a slightly deeper bowl than shown above - and still tinkering around :science:
I've backfilled the SS tube with glass balls above the bulb, as I'm using female crimp connectors as a bulb holder and cut 3 slits in the side like the Herborizer holes instead of the top to keep the insulation out of the airpath so there's a big gap above the bulb where the ceramic holder would be, in my latest build to catch some of the rising heat from the bulb while it's sat. Which has worked out OK so far as the top of the glass and the handle are still nice and cool after being on for a few hours.
The bulb height makes a big difference to the power required - my 1st build took nearly 14W and was only 3 or 4mm further away so I think a 10W build is still doable.
I'm not sure the bulb's sat at the same height as my last build, this time so I'm not sure the balls are adding anything more than a dappled effect to the light from the top and sides to be honest :lol:
Around the bulb I'm using 50 x 150mm 400 grade SS mesh folded over and spiraled around, and an Arizer dome screen on the end. Really like the the way it illuminates the bowl so you can see it vaping through the glass :cool:

blokenoname

I tried the 10w bulb here. It's sufficient to create a version of the Bud Eater, that can be run directly from the wall wart without temp control. Rosts your herb slowly and steadily then, w/out fear of combustion. But doesn't deliver enough power for rapid extraction and big clouds.

With the 20w bulb, I'm at 8,5v/11,7w for the adapter used in the pic, with the heater relativly close to the load. Using the Herborizer Ti Micro Dosing Bowl, where the load is a good centimeter more away from the heater, I need 9,2v to roast effectively and rapidly. The bong adapter used, determines very much the heat output needed, so that is an advantage, to have a heater with enough of a reserve.

Last edited:

blokenoname

There you go :rockon:

Sorry for not cleaning the glass first :p. Didn't realize, how dirty it had actually got, till I was already in the process... :D

Cranked the heat up a bit to 8,8v/12w, to milk the bong more densely & quickly. Some more hits like that left in there.
I usually enjoy it at a bit lower temp ;)

blokenoname

Update on the 'Verdamper' clone, using an adapter for a body; both leads are now insulated by glass tubes; handle with silicone sleeve for better handling; cork at the top closes up the unit neatly.

Also... a new heater (12v/20w), which I wanna try out for replacing the EQ cartridge. Not installed yet.

Hippie

Ooooh I've got a few of them :cool:

I tried a 1.3ohm 24gauge SS 6mm coil with 3mm glass beads and a couple of Arizer dome screens on the end to hold it all in the whip adapter, like a G43. Which works well at about 13W on a boxmod or 4.9V on the PSU. Great flavour and production like the BudEater but the heatup and recovery are a little slower.

blokenoname

Ooooh I've got a few of them :cool:

I tried a 1.3ohm 24gauge SS 6mm coil with 3mm glass beads and a couple of Arizer dome screens on the end to hold it all in the whip adapter, like a G43. Which works well at about 13W on a boxmod or 4.9V on the PSU. Great flavour and production like the BudEater but the heatup and recovery are a little slower.
Hi,

Read your posts in the DIY G43 section already :tup:
Good work! Love the idea, to be able to run it from a PSU and also from a box mod :nod:

Though my heaters here are a bit too fat for that ;) The EQ heater had 7,5ohm. The new one just installed, has 7,2ohm.
Eager to see, how it performs :D
Modular design makes heater exchange easy as pie :clap:

Last edited:
Top Bottom