pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Tstat said:
I think this was mentioned early in this thread, but I want share something I found. When you push the battery in, look into the toke hole to see the light. Once the light starts to get cloudy from vapor, start your hit. Then, of course, take small breaths, stopping between breaths to let the element heat up. One you get the feel for this, you can control exactly how cloudy your hit will be.

I think a lot of people do like I did at first. They put the battery in, wait a couple of seconds, and then try to take a big hit. This immediately cools down the heating element and you get nothing. I like to look into the hole to gauge when to start the draw. It really helped me understand how to make this great unit work the way YOU want it to.

Yes, this was mentioned a few pages back, and it has been in the Vaporpedia entry from the beginning. See:

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magi...he_recommended_technique_for_using_the_Box.3F

The interesting point you've added is in your second paragraph, where you point out that this could be the reason some newbies get frustrated. Great thought, and I just revised the entry to reflect it.

Throughout this thread, magicflight and others like you have posted quite a lot of excellent information about using the LB properly, and I've tried to collect it all at Vaporpedia. Even experienced users can benefit by reviewing the usage section; I know I did when I re-read this part in particular:

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magi..._in_longer_and_be_more_completely_absorbed.3F

pakalolo,

upriver

combustion-free
I ran the break-in cycle on some Imedium batteries, but had it set to 2500 instead of 2700 for capacity. Is this going to limit their capacity? Should I run the break-in cycle again?

upriver,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Stu said:
Review of my new powerex 2700s

I'm liking this battery so far and would recommend it.

Your review prompted me to get my 2700's out to charge. :)

Stu said:
Does anyone know if I will get continued good performance with my stock charger? I really don't want to have to get a high end charger if I don't have to.

I can't really answer that question. I have been using the C9000 for a while now. I'm sorry.

Vicki,

upriver

combustion-free
Stu said:
Does anyone know if I will get continued good performance with my stock charger? I really don't want to have to get a high end charger if I don't have to.

My stock batteries used according to the directions stopped working effectively within a couple months. The c9000 has cheered them up. I'd consider it a requirement for serious LB usage. I'd still like to see a LB-specific newb-friendly guide for it, maybe I'll write one up once I have confidence :)

The "refresh and analyze" cycle has gotten all my stock batteries back up to snuff, but now I am working with properly running the "break in" program so that they will be at their maximum potential. I started the program using the default value of 2500 capacity but am now wondering if its important to set it as high as possible (2700 in this case).

upriver,

OC513

Dabaholic
upriver said:
I ran the break-in cycle on some Imedium batteries, but had it set to 2500 instead of 2700 for capacity. Is this going to limit their capacity? Should I run the break-in cycle again?

The highest mAh Imedions available are 2400 unless they came out with new ones. The Powerex's are 2700 mAh. So you should be fine doing what you did. You were only 100 over the battery specs. Next time run them at 2400 just to be safe.

OC513,

upriver

combustion-free
OC513 said:
The highest mAh Imedions available are 2400 unless they came out with new ones. The Powerex's are 2700 mAh. So you should be fine doing what you did. You were only 100 over the battery specs. Next time run them at 2400 just to be safe.

Ah thanks, I had them confused since I wasn't sure what actually came with my MFLB. In general though, what happens if you "break in" a battery at either higher or lower than its true capacity, and given that they are often mislabelled anyway, how does one determine their true capacity?

upriver,

OC513

Dabaholic
upriver said:
OC513 said:

Ah thanks, I had them confused since I wasn't sure what actually came with my MFLB. In general though, what happens if you "break in" a battery at either higher or lower than its true capacity, and given that they are often mislabelled anyway, how does one determine their true capacity?

You use the rating stated by the manufacturer........using the break in or analyze & refresh mode the C9000 will show you the true capacity upon completion.

OC513,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
upriver said:
I'd still like to see a LB-specific newb-friendly guide for it, maybe I'll write one up once I have confidence

If you're not confident in your ability to make a Vaporpedia wiki entry, trust me, it's pretty easy. If you don't want to do it yourself, prepare the write-up and I'll gladly add it. If it's your writing abilities you're concerned about, I've seen no evidence that you're not up to it. If you think you need an editor, I've been doing that professionally for years and would be happy to that for you.

I guess what I'm saying is that such a guide would be a great asset and I encourage you to do it.

pakalolo,

kraken

of sound mind
So I just got an mflb and so far I love it! I've only run one trench through it but it worked like a champ. I think I overheated a bit though as I had little flecks of black in my browned herbs.

Is it normal for the box to take on a slight odor of burnt popcorn after use? When I smell through the draw hole it has a slight smell like that.

Thanks for your replies!

kraken,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
kraken said:
So I just got an mflb and so far I love it! I've only run one trench through it but it worked like a champ. I think I overheated a bit though as I had little flecks of black in my browned herbs.

Is it normal for the box to take on a slight odor of burnt popcorn after use? When I smell through the draw hole it has a slight smell like that.

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, that smell is normal. Don't worry about it.

Enjoy your new toy!

Stu,

upriver

combustion-free
pakalolo - I meant my battery knowledge is not sufficient. I have read the c9000 instructions repeatedly, and gotten some great answers here, but still am a little confused. Maybe I'll draft up my own take on best practices and post it here for feedback and then inclusion in the vaporpedia.

upriver,

lwien

The following page is a GREAT source of info on batteries and chargers with links that will provide you with every thing you wanted to know, and more:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=217683

The c9000 is discussed in depth, and one of the things that most don't know about this charger is that it terminates it's charge early before the cell is fully charged and requires an additional 2 hours AFTER the display shows "done" to complete a charge. Just an fyi for those that are using this charger that were not aware of this.

lwien,

stuey

upriver said:
pakalolo - I meant my battery knowledge is not sufficient. I have read the c9000 instructions repeatedly, and gotten some great answers here, but still am a little confused. Maybe I'll draft up my own take on best practices and post it here for feedback and then inclusion in the vaporpedia.

The main thing is just to run a refresh cycle every month or so.

stuey,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
The following page is a GREAT source of info on batteries and chargers with links that will provide you with every thing you wanted to know, and more:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=217683

Thanks for the info. :)

lwien said:
The c9000 is discussed in depth, and one of the things that most don't know about this charger is that it terminates it's charge early before the cell is fully charged and requires an additional 2 hours AFTER the display shows "done" to complete a charge. Just an fyi for those that are using this charger that were not aware of this.

I don't remember reading that in the manuel, so this is the first I've heard of this. As a result, I have not been doing this. :(

Vicki,

lwien

Vicki said:
lwien said:

I don't remember reading that in the manuel, so this is the first I've heard of this. As a result, I have not been doing this. :(

"The C9000 follows the main charge (after the charger states, "done") with a 100 mA top off charge for 2 hours, then supplies a 10 mA trickle charge. The top off charge and trickle charge rates are not displayed, and the trickle charge continues until the cell is removed."

Even though this information was supplied by the manufacturer, you are correct in that it doesn't mention this in their manual. The c9000 did not always operate this way. When they first came on the market, they charged the batts to full on the initial charge, but then they had some issues with missed terminations, and the charger went into melt down mode. They since changed the software so that it terminates early followed by a 10mA top of charge and they found that this allows a margin of safety so the batts don't overheat on the initial charge. What they didn't change, however, is the display as to when it show's done.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Vicki said:
lwien said:

"The C9000 follows the main charge (after the charger states, "done") with a 100 mA top off charge for 2 hours, then supplies a 10 mA trickle charge. The top off charge and trickle charge rates are not displayed, and the trickle charge continues until the cell is removed."

Even though this information was supplied by the manufacturer, you are correct in that it doesn't mention this in their manual. The c9000 did not always operate this way. When they first came on the market, they charged the batts to full on the initial charge, but then they had some issues with missed terminations, and the charger went into melt down mode. They since changed the software so that it terminates early followed by a 10mA top of charge and they found that this allows a margin of safety so the batts don't overheat on the initial charge. What they didn't change, however, is the display as to when it show's done.

Have I hurt my batteries by not doing this?

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Vicki said:
Have I hurt my batteries by not doing this?

Nope, not at all. It just means that you weren't giving them a full charge.

Ok, good. :)

I am curious how much better my batteries will work after a proper charge.

Vicki,

lwien

Don't know. Being that the LB is a high, quick drain device, you may not notice any difference. Would be interesting to know if you do though. Might take a few cycles before noticing a difference, if at all.

lwien,

Aetz88

Speaking of batteries, anybody got some recommendations for me?

I realized one of the batteries that came with my box isn't as strong as the other one already (after a full charge its still dim).

Also do you guys use the MFLB only when your alone or with groups? My friend always want to use it because we can use it inside, but I am getting annoyed by them trying to "rip it" because when I tell them to sip it like tea they don't believe me... so when I use it I use it and they see a vapor from me... they get it back and just try to rip it or leave the battery in to the point where its super hot and like ruins the entire thing. :mad:

Aetz88,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Don't know. Being that the LB is a high, quick drain device, you may not notice any difference. Would be interesting to know if you do though. Might take a few cycles before noticing a difference, if at all.

If I do, I'll definitely let you know. :)

This is important information. I think it should be in the manual.

Vicki,

lwien

Vicki said:

You're not the only one. ;)

Or if not in the manual, than at least don't show "done" until after the 2 hour top off. Maybe they don't mention this because they feel that it would change the performance parameters, that is, taking longer to charge at a given rate than their competition, when in fact they did this basically for safety reasons. Seems like the logical explanation.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Vicki said:

I forgot to ask.....does this apply to every cycle available on the charger, or just the "charge" mode?

Vicki,

lwien

Vicki said:
lwien said:
Vicki said:

I forgot to ask.....does this apply to every cycle available on the charger, or just the "charge" mode?

Every cycle where the battery is being charged. Bottom line........if you want your batts FULLY charged with this charger, leave them in for 2 hours after initial charge, but then take them out. No need to leave LSD's on trickle charge and being that they discharge so slowly, an extended stay in the charger in trickle mode beyond the top off charge, could pump in more than what is really healthy for them.

lwien,
Top Bottom