bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
How long would it take for those powerex batteries to charge in the stock charger or a similar slow charger?

Is it very important to drain the batteries completely before charging them again?

bluntfaced,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
bluntfaced said:
How long would it take for those powerex batteries to charge in the stock charger or a similar slow charger?
Our charger with the stock batteries take about 8 hours -- the PowerEx batteries will take longer in that same charger -- probably about 12 hours. These estimates assume the batteries are fully discharged (not usually the case, and not necessary).

We recommend people get a 15 minute charger. We would supply them ourselves but have been unable to secure a reliable supplier with adequate quality standards.

bluntfaced said:
Is it very important to drain the batteries completely before charging them again?
No, not at all. NiMH batteries do not have a "memory" effect. The charger will pick up where the charge is at and add what is necessary to 'top off'.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,
Reactions: ntaylor

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
chloe said:
magicflight said:
Just be sure that the battery does not get too hot -- do not leave it in too long (ie, not more than 60 seconds).
whoa..i've left it in more than 60secs b4 when passing it back n forth continuously....is it detrimental to the battery, to the box or to yourself (cuz of the hot battery)?
Having the battery get too hot can potentially damage the battery if it happens too often. The "damage", if it occurs, will show up in a reduction in the number possible charge cycles. Perhaps after a bad overheating (fully charged to nothing in one 5 minute stroke) a battery instead of lasting 500 recharges, it will only take 400. We say "60 seconds" because we know and are sure that that is 'soon enough' to be sure to have no problems. Performance in a battery decreases in proportion to its abuse.

You can probably get away with longer than 60 seconds if you are paying attention by checking the battery warmth, but we do not recommend it. If you use the same battery without even a moments break for more than 2 solid minutes, it may also get too hot to touch comfortably. One answer is to use two batteries in alternation, if you want continuous Box heating (about 10 minutes worth). Alternately, we will be releasing a desktop power module soon.

Also, to put this into perspective, note that these concerns apply to all NiMH type batteries, not just our stock ones. Energy is energy -- all of it carries some risk, regardless of form. For example, butane lighters can explode if thrown in a fire. Similar problems apply to Li batteries. To be safe, we ship battery cases with all outgoing stock. Respect the batteries by always putting them in their case when not in active use. That will ensure that they last a long time and never cause any trouble.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

aero18

vaporist
I didn't get any plastic case with my vape. The batteries
almost burned my backpack one time when I put them in a pocket.:uhoh:

aero18,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Any good recomendayins for best quick charger on a tight budget??

I don't want to drop a bunch of cash but I don't want to ruin my batteries.

After 2 days of use I definitely haven't gotten much efficiency out of my launch box, it does get me keyed though. the same amount of bud would get me twice as keyed in my extreme. It looks like half the bud is getting very well done while a bunch of it is still green. Hitting it more after this point so far just seems futile but I'm still working on it. It's all good though because I can just hit it a few times in my extreme at the end of the day or put it in the duff jar so future tincture is that much better.

By the way thanks for the quick responses Magicflight, I'm sure all my questions have been answered in this thread, it's just impossible to find them. I appreciate it.

bluntfaced,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
aero18 said:
I didn't get any plastic case with my vape. The batteries
almost burned my backpack one time when I put them in a pocket.:uhoh:
Really? That is not right. Please send us a private email with your postal address and we will ship you one. Also, please tell us where you purchased and how long ago.

-- Magic-flight

PS: (added later) -- I checked with BlissSville regarding this and have been informed that you bought a Bare Box (not the kit), which is shipped with one complementary charged battery (but no case). Since we have your address (thanks for the email) we will send you a battery case. Normally the Bare Box does not ship with any accessories, so that we can offer it at a discount.

As a general note, people who buy batteries from some other supplier MUST be sure to get a battery case to go with their batteries! Failure to do so can definitely result in overheated batteries, which can be a problem.

magicflight,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
bluntfaced said:
Can I get dope batteries like that but use a slow overnight charger? There is no disadvantage to slow chargers except they take longer right? You don't have to worry about overcharging either right?
My only concern is that the MAHA MH-C9000 uses a combination of Negative Delta V, Zero Delta V, Peak Voltage, time and temperature to determine the end-of-charge. Slow/cheap chargers will not have these capabilities and therefore have no way of providing as full a charge.

DeepFried,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
That is a very expensive battery charger. Ca't I just stick with a slow charger that way I won't fuck up my batteries. What do you mean they won't be able to get a full charge in a slow charger?

bluntfaced,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have the Energizer 15 minute charger that was recommended earlier in this thread. It works great for the regular stock-type batteries. Not sure about other batteries though.

Lo,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi,

As described in a somewhat long post earlier in this thread, slow chargers and fast chargers work on different charging principles. It is inherent in the nature of a slow charger to not need the kinds of endpoint detection that fast chargers do. Slow chargers can provide a full charge -- they just take a long time to do so because the charge energy is delivered at a low "maintenance" rate.

For use with the Box, either type of charger can be used. Fast chargers tend to be more convenient, but also much more expensive due to the more complex and higher power circuitry.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
DeepFried said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Looks like a good source for PowerEx batteries:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/120450976601?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes
Turns out I need some for my headphones so I found these...
(Note: I have not ordered from this supplier so: caveat emptor)
Still better deal here http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=ub811rf1vbdq2hfpfo95vkij51

and you get a free plastic case
DeepFried, the ebay seller is cheaper - quite a bit - when you consider the outrageous shipping charge that Thomasdistributing charges vs. the cheap shipping on the ebay page.
It's 14.24 total including shipping with ebay and 18.44 including shipping at Thomas. Both include a free plastic battery case. As to battery cases, next time you buy 2 AA's just save the plastic they're in and put your batteries in it with a rubber band around them. I used to do that before I got several cases from ThomasDist.

Thomasdistributing is a good company. I bought 2 chargers from them over the years and both have been good. Right now I have the "travel" one which I take with me on trips to charge my Canon camera batteries (AA). The Powerex batteries are very good as are the chargers at Thomas. But ebay has the batteries cheaper when you count the shipping cost.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Fast chargers tend to be more convenient, but also much more expensive due to the more complex and higher power circuitry.
yeah, although there is a $2 chip that takes unregulated power and charges at 8A, using CCCV (constant current, constant voltage) and detects the endpoint. Doesn't have to be expensive ... just is.

Hippie Dickie,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Here's the battery charger I recommend and it's not that much more expensive than others especially when you consider all its advantages.
The only downside - and I think this is true with many chargers - is that you cannot charge just one battery, you have to charge either 2 or 4, not 1 or 3 each time. But you can do both AA's and AAA's in this charger, and I'm pretty sure you can do 2 x AA and 2 x AAA at the same time.

http://tinyurl.com/ykkx32u

I think with battery chargers it's mostly a case of "you get what you pay for". You can buy a cheap one probably for $5-10 and it will work. But with one like this one above - for $28 +6 shipping (someone on ebay or ? might have it cheaper?) you get a really good charger that is easy to carry when you travel and has a small footprint and works very well for just about any purpose. It even can revive batteries that would be un-chargeable in some other chargers. And won't overcharge, and charges pretty quickly.

MoeOnTheMoon,

New_World

Cuck Fombustion
when is the home and car power supply coming out?
I think I'm going to have to buy one when they come out b/c i would use it at home a lot.

New_World,

Mojo

bluntfaced said:
By the way thanks for the quick responses Magicflight, I'm sure all my questions have been answered in this thread, it's just impossible to find them. I appreciate it.
@MF : a summary of mains info concerning the LB and its use ,
placed at the very top of this thread ,
and mentionned in your auto-post-foot-note ,
would be helpful .... to everyone ... ;)

Mojo,

Monsoon

Mojo said:
bluntfaced said:
@MF : a summary of mains info concerning the LB and its use ,
placed at the very top of this thread ,
and mentionned in your auto-post-foot-note ,
would be helpful .... to everyone ... ;)
And while he's at it, a direct link tot the FAQ on the webpage would help too.

Monsoon,

djdna

hi, id just like to thank the guys at magic flight for this product, im really enjoying it, its my first vape but i very much doubt my last! :D

also are you planning a power supply for home use? or will it always be battery powered only?

djdna,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
MoeOnTheMoon said:
DeepFried said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Looks like a good source for PowerEx batteries:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/120450976601?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes
Turns out I need some for my headphones so I found these...
(Note: I have not ordered from this supplier so: caveat emptor)
Still better deal here http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=ub811rf1vbdq2hfpfo95vkij51

and you get a free plastic case
DeepFried, the ebay seller is cheaper - quite a bit - when you consider the outrageous shipping charge that Thomasdistributing charges vs. the cheap shipping on the ebay page.
It's 14.24 total including shipping with ebay and 18.44 including shipping at Thomas. Both include a free plastic battery case. As to battery cases, next time you buy 2 AA's just save the plastic they're in and put your batteries in it with a rubber band around them. I used to do that before I got several cases from ThomasDist.

Thomasdistributing is a good company. I bought 2 chargers from them over the years and both have been good. Right now I have the "travel" one which I take with me on trips to charge my Canon camera batteries (AA). The Powerex batteries are very good as are the chargers at Thomas. But ebay has the batteries cheaper when you count the shipping cost.
Thanks Moe, you are right, I completely forgot to consider the shipping expense.

DeepFried,

spooky

The longer I own this product, the more dissatisfied I am with it.

In my original review I said I would only recommend this as a secondary portable vapourizer. Now that the novelty factor has worn off, I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

The fact is, twice the material will get you half the effect (if you're lucky) compared to a convection vapourizer.

When you're finished a load, you're either left with material that is half brown and half green (not fully done) or half brown and half black (over done).

Magic flight loses all credibility by claiming this unit is nearly as efficient as convection models. This is a joke. Maybe (but I highly doubt it) under strict laboratory conditions, but in real world usage, not a chance.

The *only* good qualities about this product are it's portability and wireless operation, but that isn't enough. I don't even use mine any more.

And don't even get me started on the absurd/awkward usage of batteries. Peeling labels is annoying and even then the batteries sometimes don't work without wiggling them just right.

To summarize, this product just plain sucks. Eventually there will be a decent battery-powered portable unit, but this isn't it.

Save your money and get a real vapourizer from Arizer, 7th Floor, or Storz & Bickel.

I've *never* gotten a strong effect using the lunchbox, regardless of what I put in it (or how much).

spooky,

reece

I have to say, spooky, that your problem is either a faulty box or user error. Considering you are getting under and over done trenches makes me lean toward user error. I can personally attest to it's efficiency and the longer I own it the more I enjoy it. I'm like a holy roller to my friends preaching the gospel of the Box (and the other vapes I own) as a great portable vape. Have you tried Magic Flight customer service to troubleshoot?

Using the batteries provided by Magic-Flight solves all of your stated issues except for usage. I don't know, maybe my hands are large enough for that to not be a problem. I can palm the box with battery inserted.

It sucks you had a bad experience. I feel very lucky with my vape purchases to date. That includes the Launch Box. Maybe that is the problem. You are using a lunchbox and everyone else is using the Launch Box. ;)

reece,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I can't get my duff right either. It's always dark brown mixed with bright green no matter how much I shake it and hit it.

This vape is definitely inefficient.

bluntfaced,

aero18

vaporist
bluntfaced said:
I can't get my duff right either. It's always dark brown mixed with bright green no matter how much I shake it and hit it.

This vape is definitely inefficient.
Happened to me when I first started using it. Doesn't happen to me anymore so it's due to user error.

Tip? Load smaller trenches. This technique regarding efficiency seems to be common across the board of vaporizers however more relevant because of it's conduction heating style.

Oh and another tip: Cut up the herb more evenly. I only use scissors.

aero18,

B.

War Criminal
^^^Agreed aero. If it's just me, I load about a half a trench or less at a time, but usually the total amount I use to get ripped is about a trenchload, light brown when i'm done. some specks of green left, not many tho.

reece said:
It sucks you had a bad experience. I feel very lucky with my vape purchases to date. That includes the Launch Box. Maybe that is the problem. You are using a lunchbox and everyone else is using the Launch Box. ;)
:lol:

spooky said:
I've *never* gotten a strong effect using the lunchbox, regardless of what I put in it (or how much).
The box is a little harder to master than your average vape. I find I have to consciously take many hits in a small period of time to really get lifted, unlike my SSV, where I can take monster rips, so I don't need to take as many hits to get the dose I want.

Try loading a trench with dried, ground herb, and dedicate to hitting the trench as often as you can until the battery runs down. I find that if vaping a trench's worth of bud in the SSV I can get good off of a few big rips, and the same amount in the LB can get me equally ripped, I just have to take 3 times as many hits in the same time frame because,I think, each hit is delivering less THC. Here's the method I use:

insert the battery

wait 5 seconds or so, and make sure you see vapor forming where you'd hit it(once you get good you'll be able to confirm there's vapor just by taste/texture/temp on your tongue)
draw slowly for as long as you can(if the bud flies around or you produce any sound while hitting, it's too hard)

remove battery a couple of seconds before you stop inhaling to make sure you clear all the vapor

repeat as soon as possible until the trench is lightly browned

I have noticed it's not quite as efficient as my SSV. Yes, it is more work to get ripped, but I can get truly satisfying results from the LB.

I should note that I live in chicago, and I get pretty good stuff. Not always name brand status, but if not of that caliber, a notch below, but still really nice. I'd imagine the lower % buds would really call for me to sprint thru 2 or 3 trenches to get good. I'd guess I'd have to finish two trenches of mid grade in ten minutes to get nice and medicated.

Hows the quality/grind/dryness of your stuff?

I hope you are able to get the same results I do out of your box. Give my method a shot, if it doesn't work you can always throw the trench in a different vape or somethin. But stay open to what the LB can do, just remember it operates in a truly unique manner, unlike anything else i've used before.

B.,
Top Bottom