TommyDee

Vaporitor
That's the second price hike. I paid under $100 local for a display unit. Fortunately it came with 2 glyphs that actually worked. Just a little jucky. The new cells are junk. Have a power adapter on hand. I went round and round with MF CS about the cells and got charged for crap and got send warranty replacement crap. They call them "Silvers" and they hang their hat on them. They basically self destruct in their MF charger. I have a whole tin you're welcome to. Comes with a couple of extra chargers too :doh:

TommyDee,

ScyOne

li-ions are exponentially better than aa. Simply making the mflb work with them will make it much better and the electronics for vaporizing has bloomed thanks to ecigs.

I have to update on the adaptors. My situation has changed and I don't see being able to make these anytime soon 1y+ I really liked the idea of being able to take this further, but if anyone wanted to start making them you are welcomed to go a head. I have other things I can always work on.

ScyOne,

sacred buddha

The Stoned Divinity
How about the Muad Dib units? Will there be any specific topic for it?

...believe it or not the Muad Dib still my daily driver for a quick concentrate session :)

sacred buddha,
Reactions: vapirtoo

vapirtoo

Concentrates are hard to come by in NYC, still when they were around the Maud Dib was easier to use than the Errlectric/ herb bowl
with comparable performance!
The smaller screen in the Maud Dib made the batteries work really well. No power adapter needed!
Yo' Stark 1, your LB is super trick! Custom lid and that stone is so beautiful!
Thanks for the pics.

Vapirtoo,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The Muad Dib is a nice little unit. Indeed simple, wide open, no fuss with the cells if they survive charging. I don't have any issues with a separate Muad Dib thread but we can treat both the same here if you wish @sacred buddha .

Welcome to the NFC @ScyOne - Sorry to hear you can't make these adapter at the moment. Still kinda holding out hope for MF to get a whiff of this.

TommyDee,

ScyOne

With temp control the light really shows you the modulation in action. It will glow bright red for a second after applying power and dim after reaching temp. Then every draw you take will make the light glow brighter as it increases voltage to compensate.

strech

So after reading this thread I pulled my box out the stash box. I noticed a tare in the screen on the rail. I don't have any batteries gonna grab some tomorrow. Do you all think this will effect usage? Photos are not the best but the tare can be seen on thumb side.

KIMG0983.JPGKIMG0982.JPG

Please excuse the dirty box it seems it was put away that way and hasn't been used an 2-3 years. I know I know I should take better care of this thing.

Strech46290,
Reactions: TommyDee

The Stranger

Account Closed
So after reading this thread I pulled my box out the stash box. I noticed a tare in the screen on the rail. I don't have any batteries gonna grab some tomorrow. Do you all think this will effect usage? Photos are not the best but the tare can be seen on thumb side.

View attachment 566View attachment 567

Please excuse the dirty box it seems it was put away that way and hasn't been used an 2-3 years. I know I know I should take better care of this thing.
Ha yeah, I was gonna say, I think the dirty screen will affect usage as well. I'm pretty sure the tear will, but someone else will know better.

xtraclipsforxtrashit,

strech

What's the best way to clean this thing? I've been out of the loop on these boxes for many years. I retired this box long ago. Time to bring it back out for a bit.

Zoned89

Hey what’s up guys! I JUST picked up a mflb nautilus and noticed
The old site is apparently dying off and everyone is coming here so here I am. Im
Going to attempt to smoke and go though the original thread that brought me here, it maybe one of you guys can simplify this for me.
batteries, I got powerex pro, so that should
Be good right? I did not get the pa, and saw some pics of an ecig mod to power this thing, how far along is all that, and is there Anything I should know before it gets here? Obviously you guys have the thread still rolling for years now, so I’m gunna assume the mflb is still a solid small,
Portable setup with limited parts to break.

Vapeyvaporson,

TommyDee

Vaporitor

View attachment 566View attachment 567

Just a quick note for everyone - you can size pictures by dragging the corners after selecting it in the edit screen. Clicking on it still shows full window.

I don't see a tear. I see a massive buildup on the left rail. And the front and back there are pleats. Unless I am missing something.
If you have the power adapter from MF, you can probably burn a lot off. I was using the MOD in temp control to brush the screen while it was warm. My box is nearly new again with careful and diligent effort.

But if the screen is torn, Magic Flight will send you a new one under warranty. A couple of hoops and a month's wait, but a new LB none the less. Don't go ripping the screen on purpose though.

Hey what’s up guys! I JUST picked up a mflb nautilus and noticed
The old site is apparently dying off and everyone is coming here so here I am. Im
Going to attempt to smoke and go though the original thread that brought me here, it maybe one of you guys can simplify this for me.
batteries, I got powerex pro, so that should
Be good right? I did not get the pa, and saw some pics of an ecig mod to power this thing, how far along is all that, and is there Anything I should know before it gets here? Obviously you guys have the thread still rolling for years now, so I’m gunna assume the mflb is still a solid small,
Portable setup with limited parts to break.

Get the PA! Original "Glyph" cells are a thing of the past. They now come with PowerEx "Silvers" but they are junk. There is another modification in the old thread that adapts a Ni-Mh Sub-C cell to the LB. Now that rocks the original design intent as to user experience, or as close to it as possible.

The Magic Flight Launch Box gets warm credit for a vape of the past. Nostalgic might be a proper reference. But as a conduction vape, and this is an important distinction, it is a real treat to use. I particularly like the super fine screen between particulate and the air-path. My 6 month old DD has a smooth honey patch under the screen and not a speckle of plant matter. Now that's a clean vape! It's a bit fussy and it needs stirring. It will flame out from time to time although the flame-outs don't ruin anything if you just dump it quickly. Which is easy enough to do obviously.

The 510 adapter is a call to Magic Flight to get in gear. There is a ton of MODs out there that can do magic to the Magic that is the Launch Box. Otherwise it is looking for a manufacturer, and a design. The Vaporesso implementation is simple and I encourage anyone with the skills to try it. Squish pennies; drill hole; file them roundish; and snip a copper rod. Add some insulation and you have a 510 MOD adapter for the Launch Box.

Last edited:

OF!

What's the best way to clean this thing? I've been out of the loop on these boxes for many years. I retired this box long ago. Time to bring it back out for a bit.

The best way to clean it is to not foul it in the first place. Sound flippant, but it's the key. Once you get deposits under the screen you're in deep trouble since there's no way to get to it and you can't use solvents since that would drive the junk further into the wood. Burnt on junk on the screen can be a big issue, lots of guys destroy their box by scraping and other processes (often when stoned......) and either break the fine wires or tear the welds that hold them (and provide electrical connection) to the rails. This is fatal, it never improves and will eventually lead to worse and worse performance.

All is not lost, the key is in preventing water condensing inside. KEEP YOUR HERB DRY going in. It will vape faster since you don't waste time and precious battery power evaporating the water off so you can enjoy the THC. And without water to bind any condensate it simply evaporates off again for you to enjoy.

Keep your battery charge fresh, your herb dry and fine ground and below the rails (only the fraction that actually touches the screen will vape anyway, larger loads only interfere), and 'shake, shake, shake' between hits to keep fresh material against the mesh and you'll do fine.

Regards to all.

OF

Zoned89

Just a quick note for everyone - you can size pictures by dragging the corners after selecting it in the edit screen. Clicking on it still shows full window.

I don't see a tear. I see a massive buildup on the left rail. And the front and back there are pleats. Unless I am missing something.
If you have the power adapter from MF, you can probably burn a lot off. I was using the MOD in temp control to brush the screen while it was warm. My box is nearly new again with careful and diligent effort.

But if the screen is torn, Magic Flight will send you a new one under warranty. A couple of hoops and a month's wait, but a new LB none the less. Don't go ripping the screen on purpose though.

Get the PA! Original "Glyph" cells are a thing of the past. They now come with PowerEx "Silvers" but they are junk. There is another modification in the old thread that adapts a Ni-Mh Sub-C cell to the LB. Now that rocks the original design intent as to user experience, or as close to it as possible.

The Magic Flight Launch Box gets warm credit for a vape of the past. Nostalgic might be a proper reference. But as a conduction vape, and this is an important distinction, it is a real treat to use. I particularly like the super fine screen between particulate and the air-path. My 6 month old DD has a smooth honey patch under the screen and not a speckle of plant matter. Now that's a clean vape! It's a bit fussy and it needs stirring. It will flame out from time to time although the flame-outs don't ruin anything if you just dump it quickly. Which is easy enough to do obviously.

The 510 adapter is a call to Magic Flight to get in gear. There is a ton of MODs out there that can do magic to the Magic that is the Launch Box. Otherwise it is looking for a manufacturer, and a design. The Vaporesso implementation is simple and I encourage anyone with the skills to try it. Squish pennies; drill hole; file them roundish; and snip a copper rod. Add some insulation and you have a 510 MOD adapter for the Launch Box.
So I don’t know you but I’m taking your advice cause I’ve seen your name on nearly every one of the last 45 or so pages I’ve dug through on the old site since my first post here lolz.
I went ahead and added the power adapter 3.0 from their website, hopefully mine doesn’t break fast as I did read a lot of issues. Anything else I should have? Are the batteries just trash, is there any sufficient battery? I got some powerex pros are those gunna be ok?

Last edited:
Vapeyvaporson,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You can use the PowerEx Pro but they will be lackluster in lasting through the trench and they may get very hot. If they get too hot to touch, don't use them. I have a whole tin full of junk cells from various valid sources. I have a couple of old Glyph cells, the ones with the logo stamped on the end, that work amazingly well. Otherwise, not worth it.
Now the 5000mah Ni-Mh conversion - yea, that one is a good way to stay portable. Get use to the vape and see if you want to take it further. You could just get hooked like me. Silly question - how are your hobby skills?

The power adapter is probably fine as long as it is not abused. If it is a DOA or early failure, MF will replace it.

45 pages and I filter to the top. Figures. The Launch box was my first vape back in August '19. My other vape is DynaVap but that is just a workhorse. The LB is a 'session'. if not an obsession well nurtured. My VAS, my vape acquisition syndrome, is tempered by coming up with DIY solutions. Talk to me about induction heaters sometime. If it wasn't for that, I'd go broke on VAS!

TommyDee,

strech

I had a power adapter way back it was the first one they came out with. It stopped working around the same time I through this in the box.

Strech46290,

Zoned89

You can use the PowerEx Pro but they will be lackluster in lasting through the trench and they may get very hot. If they get too hot to touch, don't use them. I have a whole tin full of junk cells from various valid sources. I have a couple of old Glyph cells, the ones with the logo stamped on the end, that work amazingly well. Otherwise, not worth it.
Now the 5000mah Ni-Mh conversion - yea, that one is a good way to stay portable. Get use to the vape and see if you want to take it further. You could just get hooked like me. Silly question - how are your hobby skills?

The power adapter is probably fine as long as it is not abused. If it is a DOA or early failure, MF will replace it.

45 pages and I filter to the top. Figures. The Launch box was my first vape back in August '19. My other vape is DynaVap but that is just a workhorse. The LB is a 'session'. if not an obsession well nurtured. My VAS, my vape acquisition syndrome, is tempered by coming up with DIY solutions. Talk to me about induction heaters sometime. If it wasn't for that, I'd go broke on VAS!
My hobby skills aren’t great, however I do build scratch fpv drones, some inside ones, my largest is a 5inch prop that I swear hits atleast 50mph. I vape and have built a “mech box” setup that worked great, but I mostly just followed directions haha.
As for my induction heater for the dynavap, that was fun. I spent maybe 30 bucks getting the parts, had some spare wood and made a little box, an on off switch and it wasn’t fancy, but it heats the vapcap up in about 3-5 seconds so that’s nice. You gotta adjust the coil, that’s the biggest reason people get mad at these things. Space that puppy out and you can have a fast ramp up (3-5 seconds) or you can go for the slow burn (10-20 seconds) there is a pro and con for each, but I’m garbage so I went for full power lolz.
mill try the powerex, I understand battery safety with the lipo fpv drone batteries, and obviously ecig 18650 and similar sizes.
I noticed you guys on that thread were stuck on the idea of 18650, but a lipo 1 or 2 cell battery would probably give you a full day or stoner smoking, considering the abuse I put them through on my drone (40amp per motor/4motors, we get like 3-5 min of aggressive flight time, I’ve puffed countless lipos and even had one catch fire mid flight!)
Also there is the shorter 18350’s used in non chip protected mech mods, the issue is the coil must be built to control the output, not sure how to rig that up for this though.
If you have any questions with the induction heater leme know, it was an easy build, and I think I got the plans from the old site tbh. 10/10 makes the vapcap a beast, I never used a torch, but did use a big until my parts came in. a solid, consistent no hotspot heat up that a flame just can’t achieve.
not seem much on nimh conversion but I’m familiar With the battery, my fpv battery smart changer charger can do pretty much anything, and even has balancing modes for multi cell packs.
sorry that was pretty jumbled, I’m kinda baked atm

merit:I have miscalculated your vape-foo,
And see you already understand, better than me, the ins and outs of the induction heaters haha. There’s SO MUCH to learn here

Last edited:
Vapeyvaporson,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You got the skills and the means to duplicate my Ni-Mh puck. Seriously, it is written to follow instructions. There I can help.
Jump in about here... The Magic-Flight Box
A few posts below that is the 3800mah Ni-Mh mod. You can do that with ease with your drone skills.
Also below that is my take and testing of the MF cells and dealing with internal resistance. That taught me some things about cell powered devices.

The Launch Box is a 0.07 or so ohm device. it is optimum if you get 1.25V to the rails. 2V okay - 3.6V NADA! Would be nice though.
Warning; math: 2V into 0.07 ohms = 2/0.07 = 28.57 amps 3.6/0.07 = 51.4 amps. Ni-Mh -1.2V; 1.2/0.07 = 17.14 amps [v/ir]
Now mind you that the Launch Box is quite rugged by design. The PA goes up to something like 1.8V. Basically you have a 12v wall wart at 2 amps so that's the limit.
I use the LB in temperature mode and limit wattage to 18 watts. More than enough to simmer a LB to good health.

And add the fact that Ni-Mh is so much fucking safer than Li-anychem and their inherent build for power devices makes them an obvious choice for me. Palming the cell out in the yard makes the box just as stealth as before.

The take-away I got from the efforts - if you make something, make the contacts copper. Anything else will get hot. That's bad.

For posterity's sake; and instructions

48955304342_ee58477f11_z.jpg

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Well, this is great. I dont own one and likely never will, but I like seeing the ingenuity keeping the MFLB alive. My first portable was a plastic piece of shit that didnt survive a year, so its great that these things are still going and are now being hacked, after all this time, to keep them usable and in some ways, improving its usability and longevity.

Great work, @TommyDee

EmDeemo,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thank you my friend @EmDeemo :bigleaf:

.... oh and I do want to remind people - this power stuff is about the Launch Box. The Muad-Dib - and the the warranty-Dibs boxes - are very efficient. Battery the hell out of them. A MOD is nice on the Moad Dim of course, but getting power to the concentrate version of the Launch Box is not an issue in the least. It draws about 1/3 the power. Maybe consider putting 2 screens in there and step it up some :twocents:

Last edited:
TommyDee,
Top Bottom