magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Bushido said:
magicflight said:
For perfect extraction, you need to consider lab chemical methods first, and then perhaps fractional distillation as a distant second.
... the best and most absolute way would be baking it.
Hi,

The reason I did not suggest baking is that even that can cause many of the lighter aromatics and some of the active volatiles to be lost. Further, the digestive system can also degrade some components, making them less bio-available. However, baking does have the unexpected advantage that some of the first level reductions in the liver are ALSO mind-active, thus creating something of a 'second wave' of effects. This is not something that is generally available via vapor ingestion, nor are they components that are extracted, and thus cannot be counted towards the absolute extraction efficiency. Finally, it has been observed that more material overall must be used in baking to achieve a threshold effect than would be needed with vapor -- partly this is the result of the time dilution of effects via digestion relative to those via the lungs.

Bushido said:
Also: Why is it that everybody here has all these crazy complex rituals for vaping their herb? I mean, when I'm having my MFLB sessions, I just want to chill, fill a bowl, take a hit, and chill some more. ... Just so long as the bloody thing gets me high, I am happy.
Thank you for being an example of what I posted earlier -- every persons method of usage is valid, as long as they are happy with it.

-- Magic-Flight

Last edited by a moderator:
magicflight,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Bushido said:
Why is it that everybody here has all these crazy complex rituals for vaping their herb? I mean, when I'm having my MFLB sessions, I just want to chill, fill a bowl, take a hit, and chill some more. But I definitely don't want to be obsessing about making sure I fucking FULLY vape all my weed. That's just dumb. I don't know about you, but when I get high, that is the furthest thing from my mind. Just so long as the bloody thing gets me high, I am happy.
I'm a medical user, so it's important to me to be able to extract as much as I can to help my pain. I don't seem to have that problem with the LB, though. My so called "ritual" is fast and easy, really. :)

Vicki,

Qbit

cannabanana
Bushido said:
Why is it that everybody here has all these crazy complex rituals for vaping their herb? I mean, when I'm having my MFLB sessions, I just want to chill, fill a bowl, take a hit, and chill some more. But I definitely don't want to be obsessing about making sure I fucking FULLY vape all my weed. That's just dumb. I don't know about you, but when I get high, that is the furthest thing from my mind. Just so long as the bloody thing gets me high, I am happy.
Um, it's a big world out here, and not eveyone has a nice cushy job and a dispensiary next door. The cost and availability of weed varies a lot from place to place, from person to person. When you don't have much money, or can't always get weed (or good weed) at a reasonable price (or at all), then you'll want to get as much out of what you do have.

Qbit,

B.

War Criminal
I LOVE the brownies I can make with my ABV. Obelisk-you should seriously reconsider throwing away your abv. Vape it as completely as you like, there'll still be some THC/CBD/CBN you can extract later. I'm sure you have a friend who would love to take your abv, cook up the brownies for you as long as you give them a few. My abv, which comes from a mix of LB, SSV, and MZ usage, runs from dark brown to speckled green, but thats by design. I like to leave a little love in my abv for future cooking. However, I can easily get my trenches a nice golden brown with no green when I use the LB.

I recently saw Muse(they FUCKING ROCKED!) and I took my LB into the show, loaded with an even mix of kief and blueberry. 2 trenches kept my sis and I super blazed for the entire show. We pushed the trenches as far as they could go because I had to run to the bathroom to unload/reload. Both trenches were medium brown with no green. I use a contact lens case to carry my bud, one compartment for fresh weed, one for the abv.

The technique MF mentioned do the job just fine for me.

No matter how dark my abv, I always keep it, and have never been let down by my abv brownies.

:2c:

B.,

synaesthetique

Didjeridoo Master
B. said:
I use a contact lens case to carry my bud, one compartment for fresh weed, one for the abv.
guinness-brilliant.jpg

gonna have to start doing that, thanks for the tip!

synaesthetique,

B.

War Criminal
I got the contact lens case idea from someone else, maybe this thread, maybe the iolite thread? I did a lot of reading between those two threads when I was lookin for a portable vape.

It amazes me how much ground up bud you can jam into a little contact lens case.

The lid of the case is the perfect size to fit over the wood surrounding the trench. Cover the trench with the lid, turn it over, tap it out. Works really well for when you have to reload on the go.

B.,

darth_vapor

The screen had come detached on one side from the copper bar on mine- probably from loading too much, shaking too hard with too much in it, or possibly over-zealous brushing. Resulted in herb getting in air chamber below screen (and in tube/mouth), not heating properly, etc. I sent them an email, they replied within a business day, I think I sent the warranty info/photo on friday, confirmation on saturday, replacement launch box today. That is amazing. Great customer service, thanks, Ariel! And the replacement unit works fantastically!

darth_vapor,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
I have been using the LB for a few hours and wanted to leave a few quick thoughts (would like to use it for a few days before commenting much):

- this fucking thing is tiny!

- this fucking thing is efficient! I have been loading it by measuring the herb with wdz stems. One stem per trench is almost just as effective as the wdz. as a reference point to the 'extent of the stone' i get from one wdz stem: my first session with the wdz is two stems, then a stem or two every hour or hour and a half keeps me going usually.. i believe loading the LB with herb measured to 1 wdz stem would give me similar results. I've only had 3 trenches yet though, so let's see if this trend continues. but for now this point alone has made me love the device despite the few things about it that do interfere with my comfort/convenience levels. i did not expect this efficiency, was surprised by it, and impressed by it and very much welcome it, i hope this turns out to be consistently true in the long run, we'll see i guess

- ok, this is something I do NOT like about this thing: when i turn and shake etc. often bits of the herb (which is really fine with tiny particles) is going to go into the groove where the pin sits (that holds the plastic cover to the unit). I guess folks are gonna call me a stingy bastard :D but that bothers me, I lose herb there, small bits fall off the box through there.

- re the whole does it uniform uniformly thing: no, it does not. i do drop the duff in my head after half of it has browned lightly and then crush and reload, this helps a lot like Wolf (IIRC-- too vaked to go back and check who it was :D ) advised earlier, this does help uniform heating for sure, but still, the toast is not uniform. Am I bothered by this: we'll see, i dunno yet, if the LB ABV makes decent qwiso, then yeah, i got a problem with this. but before i try the qwiso, i want to try see if i can work on this with technique

- it takes LONG to finish a trench. that is a pain and takes away from its portability i think. perhaps this is a technique thing and the time i need to finish a trench will be less with more practice. i am loading very very light loads though (one wdz stem) so i was surprised how long it is taking me to exhaust the load (half hour :/ ) . i cannot imaging slipping into a corner for a few quick tokes to get high with this thing, i need time. i am gonna see if experience fixes this issue for me. i hope so. i have a feeling maybe i just need to not be so careful and let the battery sit for longer..

- one of the main reasons I bought this device was the inscription in the back. my wife and i are both poets and while the inscription is more didactic than poetic, it is still very very cool. I do wish the message were not so hopeful though, I'm a cynic I guess, but still, it is very sweet. i mention this because for me this IS a plus point-- this gives the product/brand some character, makes it easier for me to identity with it because this little thing has its own personality, lol, i dunno if you guys get that but i like it very much.

ok, i am gonna go vape some more haha :)

oh, i just wanted to mention that i have not once combusted, or even come close, perhaps i was already coached by all the instructions here or perhaps the draw system is intuitive, i dont know, but i picked it up immediately. the color of my abv is vary varied, but dark brown for the most part with a lot of yellow and some green too. i am not using the little pipe thing. i used 2 batteries on all 3 trenches and it might last now for the 4th too (edited this part cuz i was stoned and said i used 1 batt for 3 trenches, not true, i used 2, first one exhausted in the middle of the second trench-- one batt per trench is more or less correct with the stock batts).

my drawing system is random to be honest. i just hit it without any agenda of how im going to hit it and things have been totally fine. just don't let the battery sit there for too long and you will be fine.

i bought an extra set of batteries with the unit (which btw came intact with all goodies in it-- the magic flight tin is very awesome and useful, it was dented when it came but i pushed it back to place-- i recommend vapeworld wholeheartedly)-- i really hope the stock battery set and the extra pair i bought will be enough for a while cuz i dont wanna drop more cash on batts right now.

EDIT:

i had saved the abv of each trench i vaped in the LB separately. i just loaded these into the wdz and got one pretty decent vapor hit off each pile. effects wise, which is what we're all after, there isn't much of a diff between the same amount of herb in the wdz or the lb (the wdz is a little more effective). i need to figure out a way to get that last hit off the LB though :D :mental:

obelisk,

caseball2051

im glad your satisfied wtih it. (Seemingly)

once youve had it for a while, your experience will improve as well beleive it or not!

caseball2051,

obelisk

B. said:
I LOVE the brownies I can make with my ABV. Obelisk-you should seriously reconsider throwing away your abv. Vape it as completely as you like, there'll still be some THC/CBD/CBN you can extract later. I'm sure you have a friend who would love to take your abv, cook up the brownies for you as long as you give them a few. My abv, which comes from a mix of LB, SSV, and MZ usage, runs from dark brown to speckled green, but thats by design. I like to leave a little love in my abv for future cooking. However, I can easily get my trenches a nice golden brown with no green when I use the LB.

No matter how dark my abv, I always keep it, and have never been let down by my abv brownies.
Thanks for that info B. I always wondered about this. I have made cannabutter and qwiso from my wdz abv. the brownies did give me a slight stone, but it wasn't really worth it. the qwiso was horrible. it was the first time i made qwiso but i have cooked with pot many many times before. i dunno why it didn't work for me. maybe i shld try again. the qwiso was horrible though, yuck. i made qwiso with vape resin and that was much MUCH better. i'll start saving abv again and will try cooking one more time, i hope i achieve better results. though, having to collect abv to get all your money out of the herb is something that detracts from a portability standpoint for me. but yeah, the LB is quite the thing, i'm having a good time with it right now :)

btw, that contact lens case thing is awesome, thanks for the tip.

edit:

caseball2051 said:
im glad your satisfied wtih it. (Seemingly)

once youve had it for a while, your experience will improve as well beleive it or not!
i am satisfied with it and i expect my experience of it to improve with practice as well :)

obelisk,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
obelisk said:
- ok, this is something I do NOT like about this thing: when i turn and shake etc. often bits of the herb (which is really fine with tiny particles) is going to go into the groove where the pin sits (that holds the plastic cover to the unit). I guess folks are gonna call me a stingy bastard :D but that bothers me, I lose herb there, small bits fall off the box through there.
The same thing happens to me. I was more concerned that the build up of those tiny particles would be bad for the unit over time. I've only had my Launch Box a little over a month, and it's already getting quite the build up of resin in the draw hole. I have always used the unit native, so maybe that is why.

I'm definitely going to have to clean that out on a regular basis. I wish there were a safe way to clean the whole thing better. I adore my Launch Box, and baby it a lot, so I am always worried about keeping it nice. :D

Vicki,

obelisk

Vicki said:
The same thing happens to me. I was more concerned that the build up of those tiny particles would be bad for the unit over time. I've only had my Launch Box a little over a month, and it's already getting quite the build up of resin in the draw hole. I have always used the unit native, so maybe that is why.

I'm definitely going to have to clean that out on a regular basis. I wish there were a safe way to clean the whole thing better. I adore my Launch Box, and baby it a lot, so I am always worried about keeping it nice. :D
I use the brush to brush the particles back into the trench, I think that would help to prevent build up. For me, the annoying thing is stuff falls outside of the box through that place. Not much, but some, I guess one could say I'm being anal. :D

Just wanted to say it is possible to finish the load faster by taking bigger hits, but this means more vapor loss on exhalation. I like how I can taste the vapor with small hits and then nothing comes out. But it takes very long to finish that way, so perhaps it is a matter of finding a balance that suits you.

obelisk,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
obelisk said:
- it takes LONG to finish a trench. that is a pain and takes away from its portability i think. perhaps this is a technique thing and the time i need to finish a trench will be less with more practice. i am loading very very light loads though (one wdz stem) so i was surprised how long it is taking me to exhaust the load (half hour :/ ) . i cannot imaging slipping into a corner for a few quick tokes to get high with this thing, i need time. i am gonna see if experience fixes this issue for me. i hope so. i have a feeling maybe i just need to not be so careful and let the battery sit for longer..
hmm my 3/4 full trenches are vaped out in about 10 minutes, with a nice uniform dark brown color. I consider my lungs normal sized capacity and I fill them completely with each hit. Maybe you have little baby lungs?

DeepFried,

5446ThatsMyNumber

Assuming a good fit and proper contact, is a higher mAh on a battery better (ie can go longer without a recharge)?

5446ThatsMyNumber,

lwien

DeepFried said:
Maybe you have little baby lungs?
Or maybe he's a bit older than you with decreased lung function?
Or maybe decreased lung function due to decades of smoking cigs?
Or maybe some underlying lung disease.
Or maybe just genetically has lungs that aren't as well developed as yours?
Or maybe it's just a preference thing regarding how much vapor he wants in his lungs?

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
DeepFried said:
Maybe you have little baby lungs?
Or maybe he's a bit older than you with decreased lung function?
Or maybe decreased lung function due to decades of smoking cigs?
Or maybe some underlying lung disease.
Or maybe just genetically has lungs that aren't as well developed as yours?
Or maybe it's just a preference thing regarding how much vapor he wants in his lungs?
Or maybe all of the above. ;)

I fall into the the top three categories, and also the last.

Vicki,

chloe

Hi lwien,

I love your avatar, I just noticed it. That is very endearing.

Thanks for sharing that imagery with us!

chloe,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Yipes! Rookie mistake :doh:

I've developed a little routine; load, battery in, sip, battery out, shake. Well, twice TODAY I've left the battery in by mistake and totally nuked the load. Aye yi yi!! Fortunately, the nasty taste left by doing that fades with continued use. I also did a short "cleaning" cycle with the battery in and lid open.

That said, I've found this to be a great little vape. Somewhere in this thread (please excuse, I can't go back and read 94 pages to find out who; I've got too much other reading here to do :) ) somebody said that the best way they had found to hit this box was to imagine sipping up a small bubble with a straw. That really is a good description of the way I've found to get great big hits.

I also wanted to comment on the fact that these boxes can all be slightly different. My friend just got hers and I noticed right away that the draw is stronger. Also, her light glows more brightly than mine and is visible not only through the straw, but from the top of the box. Both work well, however.

I'm a fan. :brow:

momofthegoons,

happydays

MF,
You are the man!

Went canoeing on the mighty Ausable River today using nothing but my LB.
Wind resistant. Awesome feature.
Anytime you want, vape.
Although it can be a chore hitting and paddling at the same time.

I only took a 6hr trip today, my only purpose was to test my MF , I used 2 tbs of meds and 3 batteries.

I think

happydays,

happydays

sorry, it's not too often I go off....some people just need a face slap.

I will take my slap and go on.

happydays,

lwien

Better yet, how 'bout if you delete your's and I'll delete mine, and we'll pretend that none of this happened and give the mods here a little less to do. ;)

lwien,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
For anyone who is interested in a little comparison between the Launch Box and the Iolite (mods: I think this fits in this section so please leave it here okay?).

I've had the Iolite since December 11/09, and have used it daily with the exception of a few Fridays when I exclusively used the Extreme. I got the Launh Box on March 11/10 and have used it every day since then.

I've also saved ever load of ABV and had it marked in a vial. With the Extreme, I also marked what temperature it was used at, and whether bag or whip.

So I've got about 60g of ABV from the Iolite, and perhaps 10g ABV from the Launch Box. Not getting any fresh product for 3 more days, I tried revaping the Launch Box product and the Iolite product. Got zip from the Launch Box herb, but am still able to squeeze out 2+ hours arthritis relief, zero anxiety and a mild euphoria from 0.5g of Iolite herb. Revaped using the Launch Box.

So, I find that I am getting more complete extraction from the Launch Box than from the Iolite. For what its worth. And as far as I can tell; this was from a 70/30 mix of ABV from Kush/Green Crack. Now, I actually prefer to have something left over so I can used it in edibles, so using a combination of the Iloite, Launch Box and eating, I think I am almost able to separate anti anxiety/sedative effects from anti inflammatory/analgesic effects. The Euphoria comes off of the first 2-3 draws from the LB or first 3-5 hits from the Iolite. Any leftovers from edibles gives me nothing but couchlock and sleep in short order.

Lottsa fun to experiment.

Tom

tdavie,

chloe

Great post Tom. I remember back then I was just saving up for the Iolite, and pretty excited about a vape that uses butane (as opposed to some proprietary battery). The price point was a bit harsh for me but I have no problems spending some money if it does the trick. I had no idea about the LB yet, but THANKS to this forum and its user base, I got intrigued by this box...and the rest you can say is history....

:peace:

chloe,
Top Bottom