pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hery Vappy said:
Pak,

I first had the birch model which I received in January of this year and my warranty replacement is maplr which I received last week. Both have the new air intake. The Maple one hits way better, even before I had a screen issue on my birch one.

Thanks. I asked because I'm trying to figure out whether the difference is due to the wood or the air intake. This leans towards the wood, but of course it could be something else. I need more samples.

I suggest you all give me your LBs for testing. I promise to report back.

pakalolo,

nealcassidy

wake n blake said:
I didn't know beat poets were so handy with vaporizers haha

Now that you mention it, I think all they had in "On The Road" was joints!

danklover said:
I like that a lot nealcassidy! I never bother with the rubber band and have had the unfortunate experience of spilling (mostly abv) when pulling the box out of pant pockets every now and then. Your mod sounds like a nifty solution.

(And seriously, what kind of camera/lens did you use to take those pics?)

Yeah, it's a shame to lose even ABV in your pocket. I'm a total lightweight, so a half-trench could last me a couple of days, hence the need to preserve it and not let any escape. I've tried to recover a spill from my pocket, and lint does not vape well !! Camera is a basic Lumix point-and-shoot, but with a great Macro focus setting.

willeiR said:
Absolutely funny coincidence that you should post this. I'm doing a similar mod with mine. Using a stainless steel ball catch. 1/4" wide. Essentially what you have accomplished but the rounded end is actually a stainless ball bearing with a spring behind it. I'll let everyone know how I make out.

That sounds perfect. I wish they made those bullet catches smaller, but you should have enough wood to drill for the 1/4" and not disturb any of the functionality of the LB. Post photos when done!

nealcassidy,

al bundy

Vaporist
nealcassidy said:
Not sure if this mod has been mentioned here, but I've been thinking about it for a while. I got tired of the rubber band rolling off the LB in my pocket and also having to keep track of it. So I added a very small brass pin, filed and polished it, drilled the wood base in the MFLB for it, tapped it in, and then marked a corresponding spot on the cover and counter-drilled a shallow hole on the underside of it

My only concern is that over time, the curved wire that creates the downward force on the cover will gradually lose its springyness. I only have to lift the cover approx 1/32", but won't know if it creates a problem until I've open-closed-toked many times! :spliff:

http://i53.tinypic.com/157vqt.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2dce1rs.jpg

real good idea
If you open the lid 180 degrees you can push down on the LB spring, without touching and cracking the lid, when you feel you have to tighten it.

al bundy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
nealcassidy said:
That sounds perfect. I wish they made those bullet catches smaller, but you should have enough wood to drill for the 1/4" and not disturb any of the functionality of the LB. Post photos when done!

I was surprised that a 1/4" outside diameter was even manufactured. Seems mighty small. It's stainless steel so it should be cool. I think there are several places that could accomodate the 1/4" bore. I have not received the ball catch yet, but am totally open to suggestions as to where to place the ball catch on the LB

willieR,

al bundy

Vaporist
willieR said:
nealcassidy said:
Not sure if this mod has been mentioned here, but I've been thinking about it for a while. I got tired of the rubber band rolling off my LB in my pocket and also having to keep track of it. So I added a very small brass pin, filed and polished it, drilled the wood base in the MFLB for it, tapped it in, and then marked a corresponding spot on the cover and counter-drilled a shallow hole on the underside of it.

I think one small modification to this mod will be that I'll file/sand/polish a very small ramp on the underside of the cover right next to the small recess that I drilled. This will give me a little gap to make it easier to lift the edge of the top just enough to clear the brass pin when I want to open it. As it is now, I just pull up on the cover very slightly by grabbing the opposite edges and pulling upward, but sometimes it's hard to get a grip on it.

My only concern is that over time, the force of the curved wire that creates the downward force on the cover will gradually lose its spring / force. I only have to lift the cover approx 1/32", but won't know if it creates a problem until I've open-closed-toked many times!:D

Absolutely funny coincidence that you should post this. I'm doing a similar mod with mine. Using a stainless steel ball catch. 1/4" wide. Essentially what you have accomplished but the rounded end is actually a stainless ball bearing with a spring behind it. I'll let everyone know how I make out.

where didi you get it? looking on google for something like that now

al bundy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I'd love to look at boring a hole for an on-board brush storage. Some type of tool to move the material around in the trench and the sides. I don't carry that cool little brush with me and a finger doesn't work well

willieR,

greystr0ke

willieR said:
I'd love to look at boring a hole for an on-board brush storage. Some type of tool to move the material around in the trench and the sides. I don't carry that cool little brush with me and a finger doesn't work well

That's not a bad idea at all. My one complaint about the LB is that I'm always getting nug stuck in those cervices and I rarely have the brush with me. I usually end up having to use a crumpled up receipt to get the goods out.

greystr0ke,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Exactly. Could even be some micro-spatula that is soft and heat resistant like one that you bake with. Maybe spring loaded in there

willieR,

Gourayaz

Hi, I am a beginner in steam, I dont smoke tobacco, the Magic Box is made for me, ... I just order it !!

Gourayaz,

nealcassidy

willieR said:

I'll try that in a blank block of maple. Would need some sort of screw-in brass cap, I guess.

nealcassidy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
nealcassidy, I'd like to help you in your goal here. If a LB could be modded to not only have a means to keep the lid closed but also to have a tiny on-board tool, that would be a big big deal. Again if you'd like help lemme know

willieR,

nealcassidy

willieR said:
nealcassidy, I'd like to help you in your goal here. If a LB could be modded to not only have a means to keep the lid closed but also to have a tiny on-board tool, that would be a big big deal. Again if you'd like help lemme know

Cool... I guess we first need to find where the largest area of unused wood is. When I started really looking closely at the design and intersecting holes, I was reminded how Magic Flight made such incredibly efficient use of a small block of wood.

So I guess we should:

- Determine the length, diameter of any available area in the wood to bore the hole
- Find a suitable brush/tool (probably a small-diameter stiff-bristled brush) based on a loose fit into the hole
- Find a nice screw-in cap that doesn't require a tool

If we find that there just isn't any space for this thing, we could consider an add-on, or a wood case that fits everything in a space just a bit bigger than the LB, but that would sort of defeat the purpose.

I'll try to do a quick CAD/3D model of just the body to determine available space, if you want to explore the brush/tool device and a way to secure it into the hole. It's like modifying a swiss army knife for vaping!

nealcassidy,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
so I think I need to clean my box... there's a glimmering layer of darkened oil on the base of the box... and after a trench, it starts to REALLY heat the bottom of the box... I've tried kind of pushing a paperclip/toothpick around the base... I get little scrapes of darkened goo here and there, but it isn't very efficient.

I see a lot of inhalation tips and tricks with this little wooden wonder... was wondering if anyone had any tips for cleanliness and possible ways of reclaiming all this oil...

thanks so much.

wake n blake,
but it seems there is a change in the bottom of the bowl, not as "rectangular" but cylindrical (soory for my english) ;)

Franckydiam,

nealcassidy

Franckydiam said:
but it seems there is a change in the bottom of the bowl, not as "rectangular" but cylindrical (soory for my english) ;)

Yes - I'll have to take a measurement for that. An extension of the drilled cylinder to a greater depth would probably rule out drilling in that area.

nealcassidy,

nealcassidy

pakalolo said:
Franckydiam said:

That drawing is incorrect. The positioning and dimension of the draw hole are conspicuously wrong. Based on that, I would not trust the other measurements.

Thanks pakalolo. I'll have to get out the digital caliper tonight and get the accurate measurements.

As a general comment, I'm hoping no one thinks that anyone is trying to start manufacturing these things! It's just the natural need to modify stuff that seems to be built into people since we were Cave Men. If anything, I'll need to purchase a couple more MFLBs from Blissville in order to have some sacrificial LBs when I start drilling and messing stuff up :uhoh:

nealcassidy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Certainly I'm not looking to get into the vape biz. I love my MFLB and am only interested in mod-ing it. NealC, you saw that link to that small 1/4" ball catch? I'll be installing that, but will wait until the other tool hole location is defined.

The supplied little solder brush is useful, but I wonder if there's a smaller one. You really don't need much for this on-board application. Something that can brush or scrape or mix the material in the trench. Could be a brush or a soft tip on a small rod.

The other thing is that the overall length doesn't really need to be more than what, 1 1/2"?

willieR,

nealcassidy

willieR said:
Certainly I'm not looking to get into the vape biz. I love my MFLB and am only interested in mod-ing it. NealC, you saw that link to that small 1/4" ball catch? I'll be installing that, but will wait until the other tool hole location is defined.

The supplied little solder brush is useful, but I wonder if there's a smaller one. You really don't need much for this on-board application. Something that can brush or scrape or mix the material in the trench. Could be a brush or a soft tip on a small rod.

The other thing is that the overall length doesn't really need to be more than what, 1 1/2"?

Yeah, I was thinking maybe even shorter than 1.5". I have pretty large fingers, but feel comfortable grasping a 3/4" long skinny dowel. So picture a 1/8" diameter oil paint brush that has had it's bristles trimmed to about 1/4" to help with stiffness and its wood handle trimmed to the "ferrule", the metal part that holds the bristles. I have some old brushes at home that I will experiment with tonight, or you can if you have some.

nealcassidy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
The screen seems to cool quickly. The supplied solder brush was to give it significant heat resistance, but not sure that's necessary.

I'm with you on the shorter brush / tool length.

willieR,
Top Bottom