The Lotus Vaporizer

Zagala

I think I found it:

N3FyF7T.jpg

Aim as shown, sweep the flame like a windshield wiper from that position.
The first part I think is the key but the windshield wiper I gotta try anyhow.

EDIT: I tried both suggestions and they work well for a nice, even roast. :science::tup::rockon:
Many thanks for saving me the search! But I will continue to read through the thread,lots of information for someone new to the Lotus. I am really liking this device.

Damn. I chose the “no signature needed” option when I got my tracking info. Scheduled delivery date 7/11. Today, tracking shows “returned to shipper.” :rant::goon:
Damn that sucks, I also chose the no signature option, looks like it worked out for some people but maybe that has something to do with the issues... Hopefully everyone ends up getting their units in hand soon

Not Invented Here

I think I found it:

N3FyF7T.jpg

Aim as shown, sweep the flame like a windshield wiper from that position.
The first part I think is the key but the windshield wiper I gotta try anyhow.

EDIT: I tried both suggestions and they work well for a nice, even roast. :science::tup::rockon:
Thank you for this! I'm really enjoying the windshield wiper method lol :spliff:

Not Invented Here,
Reactions: coolbreeze

Tji89

I shared your words with the CS and the answer I got
Hi, long time lotus and vapman user here. On the old version of the Lotus with the high temp cap that is definitely not normal from light use (<100 bowls) if you're using a single flame jet lighter. However in my experience olive wood does tend to char and stain a lot more readily than a lot of other wood types. I love the look, smell and taste of the olive wood, however on my Olivewood Italian vapman I got a black ring above the vapman filter really really quickly.. like 1000% quicker than I did on my original "element" branded swiss vapman, and that was from before Rene introduced the metal heat ring too! In the vapman context it doesn't impact flavour at all though and I very much doubt it will with the lotus either.
Hello my friend
We tested many woods in search of the standart wood for vapman and lotus and at the end we choose olive wood because it was the best wood in our opinion. (Also if its more cost intensly and complicated than other woods because there are lots of cracks in the wood so we have a lot of output)
The dark middlepiece on the vapman is more because of the deepened heating chamber on the new model, but it does not affect funktionality at all. :)

There are 2 things I would recommend you do.

1. Perhaps you should also ask MIchael if they are utilising the design of the latest iteration of the high temp cap in the lotus reboot? It looks like the reboot is using the original starburst hotplate to me? These plates were on the original lotus and were great for cashing a bowl using the least amount of butane but wore out much more quickly IME and were no good for concentrates. If it is the OG starburst they are using be sure to get the high temp nickel plate as soon as they offer it, and change it out, it's much more forgiving if you're passing your lotus round with lotus virgins and super awesome for bubble and concentrates.
We are using the high te,p cap design. Just the tool of the standart hotplate got damaged so we decided together with steven to use for now the starbust hotplate. But in the near future we will make a new tool and sell also the standart hotplate. Material is the same for both :)
2. If you have the correct size allen key you might want to, (while being very very gentle with the threads), check what level your plate is tightened down to. Too tight or too loose seemed to expedite charring on the OG starburst place in my experience.

I really think at some point the vapman team should transition over to lathing the saucer cap and the smooth nickel plate design. Outside of better clearance where ground glass joints are close to the main body of a glass piece, (you can use a $4 drop down or pass through adapter to solve this anyway), the smaller diameter cap is simply an inferior design from both a usage and aesthetic perspective in every way. It's only a small amount of extra wood so shouldn't cost that much more to produce. I never use the OG anymore; with the saucer cap stirring is easier and hot metal never touches my fingers or those of vape virgins for that matter ;)
We decided to start with the standart cap as we personally prefer the design of that, but as we see that people love the saucer cap we will definetly bring it back in the near future.
I do want to say though that I am extremely grateful to Michael and David for keeping vapman and now lotus alive. I have no doubt they will refine the design and introduce innovative tools that enhance and diversify the range of experiences available to their customers, just as they did with vapman. Thank you Michael and David! :bowdown:
Thanks man for your words, that means a lot to us

Peace and love

coolbreeze

While we're trying out our Lotuses or are waiting for them to arrive I wanted to share something pretty cool. I asked @Duba to make me a Lotus cover and after some back-and-forth, we arrived st a pretty good solution. I love it as is but perhaps others here will figure out how to make it even better.

The particular issue was I wanted something minimal that would protect it well, loaded and ready for use, tossed in a purse or backpack or back pocket that would allow great protection and easy access (you can slide it down the stem and hit it without removing the cover completely, and the shape slides easily in and out of your pants or jacket pocket, and could be suspended from your belt like a holster with a simple modification). I envisioned a dog-walking cover for the Lotus, small enough to fit my back pocket:
IMG-4890.jpg
IMG-4879.jpg

Of course the work is as lovely as you'd expect, and the function is great as well. Betcha he'll make you one if you want!

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
the smaller diameter cap is simply an inferior design from both a usage and aesthetic perspective in every way
While it may sound like semantics, rather than the above I would say that the Saucer Cap is a superior design. Many of us used the standard cap happily and effectively for many years. The Saucer Cap was only sold for a couple years at the end of Max's reign as the provider of Loti. I DO like the saucer better, but if I didn't have one I would still be using the Lotus quite happily with the OG cap.

Added to avoid double post:
I asked @Duba to make me a Lotus cover and after some back-and-forth, we arrived st a pretty good solution. I love it as is but perhaps others here will figure out how to make it even better.
I can't seem to find it at the moment, but Lotus did sell a soft leather case with a squeeze activated opening. There is probably a photo of it in the thread somewhere. I'll see if I can find the pic or mine when I have some time. It was not firm leather like Duba'a version.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

While it may sound like semantics, rather than the above I would say that the Saucer Cap is a superior design. Many of us used the standard cap happily and effectively for many years. The Saucer Cap was only sold for a couple years at the end of Max's reign as the provider of Loti. I DO like the saucer better, but if I didn't have one I would still be using the Lotus quite happily with the OG cap.
the smaller diameter cap is simply an inferior design from both a usage and aesthetic perspective in every way.
Out of curiosity, why do you like it better? What is the functional difference from the normal high-temp cap? I don't think I have burned myself on the Lotus yet and I would be concerned that a larger cap would fit even fewer waterpipes. I do like the way it looks but what is the reason to prefer it?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
My fingertips are very sensitive to heat and while I never burned myself, blister level, I did singe my fingers fairly often by not being careful or by just grabbing the cap from above to stir when it was fully hot. Most of my glass is more forgiving of the cap size apparently, and the bigger surface means no singing. If I were to use something where the size mattered more I could use an extender, but I have enough options that that has never been a factor. Most of my glass is 18mm so to use the WPA on it I usually have at least a 18/14 converter on it anyway. The other ways I enjoy it most, like a j-hook or the below examples, the extra size is not an issue.
Honey-AC-and-hook.jpg

Rattle-Lotus.jpg

Ufo-w-Lotus.jpg

coolbreeze

My fingertips are very sensitive to heat and while I never burned myself, blister level, I did singe my fingers fairly often by not being careful or by just grabbing the cap from above to stir when it was fully hot. Most of my glass is more forgiving of the cap size apparently, and the bigger surface means no singing. If I were to use something where the size mattered more I could use an extender, but I have enough options that that has never been a factor. Most of my glass is 18mm so to use the WPA on it I usually have at least a 18/14 converter on it anyway. The other ways I enjoy it most, like a j-hook or the below examples, the extra size is not an issue.
Honey-AC-and-hook.jpg

Rattle-Lotus.jpg

Ufo-w-Lotus.jpg
Thank you, I was wondering if there was other development that went into it, etc, since it was the most recent I believe? I don't mind working around the size generally but I do have handheld pieces that vex me because they'd be perfect for the Lotus native if only the cap fit or the poker was moved. To be honest the latter is the bigger problem for me--I'd love an unscrewable poker.

In any case I bet the saucer would be extra nice in olive.

Last edited:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Mine is not coming it doesn't seem. DHL cannot find my dads address after four tries. I'm about to have to give up and use my new address. Hopefully they can reroute the shipment halfway across the country

the_hexx

Team Hash
So it arrived, looked amazing out of the box, not so much now! I followed the instructions, managed 3-4 small hits with almost no vapor and it turned out like this, I was afraid to go for the bigger hits after seeing this. Is this normal?

the_hexx,
Reactions: Tji89

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I can't produce any great / visible vapor either. And the heat stain on the plate isn't really pleasing after just a few rounds 🫠
Have you tried preheating the plate for about 7 seconds before hitting it? That's what I did when I used to have a lotus. And your plates are going to discolor. That's what happens when you heat thin metal. The Dynavap cap is no different.

the_hexx

Team Hash
Have you tried preheating the plate for about 7 seconds before hitting it? That's what I did when I used to have a lotus. And your plates are going to discolor. That's what happens when you heat thin metal. The Dynavap cap is no different.
I preheated for about 3 seconds as per instructions, will try up to 7. I did notice discoloration on a Dynavap cap after a few days/weeks of use, but not on the first bowl. Aesthetics is a minor concern, just wanted to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. Thanks!

Tji89

I didn't expect the charred mark on my plate so soon. I asked vapman lotus Cs about mine because of resin coming off the wood. They told me that I used too much heat. With 7 sec preheat it'll be a lot more heat than before.

I think I need thebother heat plate /saucer pan? which is better for concentrate and heat exposure.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Folks that are having trouble getting hits. Slow your draw. 3-4 seconds with the tip of the inner blue flame on the center of the plate should let it start to barely glow red.

Inhale SLOWLY aiming for a 10 second inhale.

Continue to keep the flame tip on the center while inhaling for the first 2-3 then remove the flame and continue to inhale.

Good luck.

coolbreeze

I didn't expect the charred mark on my plate so soon. I asked vapman lotus Cs about mine because of resin coming off the wood. They told me that I used too much heat. With 7 sec preheat it'll be a lot more heat than before.

I think I need thebother heat plate /saucer pan? which is better for concentrate and heat exposure.
I preheated for about 3 seconds as per instructions, will try up to 7. I did notice discoloration on a Dynavap cap after a few days/weeks of use, but not on the first bowl. Aesthetics is a minor concern, just wanted to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. Thanks!
I can't produce any great / visible vapor either. And the heat stain on the plate isn't really pleasing after just a few rounds 🫠
Let Pete be your guide:

You can preheat a bit longer than Pete does, look for the glow to start. That will give you thicker vapor, and it can hit powerfully with practice.

freshone1

So it arrived, looked amazing out of the box, not so much now! I followed the instructions, managed 3-4 small hits with almost no vapor and it turned out like this, I was afraid to go for the bigger hits after seeing this. Is this normal?

What kind of torch are you using? I've been using mine quite a bit for the last few days, even combusted a couple of times but doesn't looked burnt up like yours. I've also tried a larger torch on it too and it didn't char like your top plate did

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Pete does a good job describing technique, but I disagree that one can't get a really big hit with the Lotus. I seem to have no problem doing that.
Yeah. I hear that from other people too. I can get big hits with the lotus, especially on glass. I assume it comes down to inhale, material, and technique but I couldn't tell you what I am doing differently.

Also my plate is not nearly as scorched as some I have seen on this thread. Although I have the flat style.

coolbreeze

Pete does a good job describing technique, but I disagree that one can't get a really big hit with the Lotus. I seem to have no problem doing that.
Indeed, I think he was new to it at the time. He's got the general principal down well so it's useful to watch him, but yes, you can really go bigger with a bit of practice. In fact, I think early in the thread it was considered something of a one-hitter.
Yeah. I hear that from other people too. I can get big hits with the lotus, especially on glass. I assume it comes down to inhale, material, and technique but I couldn't tell you what I am doing differently.
Exactly. For me, making sure the flame is big enough and preheating the plate until there's a bit of orange make a huge difference.

kimura

what a trip to see folks learning how to learn how to use the lotus, all over again.

I have had lots of good times with the lotus using a flame significantly bigger than the instructions suggest. you can get big cloudy rips real fast with this baby if you learn how to surf/walk the line. it's one of the things I really love about manual/flame powered vapor. turn up the gas, draw harder, and start by hitting that plate very briefly with the bigger flame, working your way up to holding it longer as you get a feel for it 🤙

using a smaller flame and preheating the plate a bit also works, but not as well IMO. 7 second preheat is nuts... if that doesn't scorch/burn the load then your flame is way too small

Last edited:
Top Bottom