The Lotus Vaporizer

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I don't know about larger pieces, but I found the frit AC offered a lot of flavor, took notice of it, considering it is a frit, though you will get "frit snot" really fast from so much diffusion, reclaim oil tends to collect really fast.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Right, and if you are getting "frit snot" on the frit, that is stuff that isn't getting to you.

Hey, what do I know. I'm just a computer geek...

cybrguy,
Reactions: ataxian

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Right, and if you are getting "frit snot" on the frit, that is stuff that isn't getting to you.

Hey, what do I know. I'm just a computer geek...
not sure what you're taking offense to, I was just responding that I didn't notice a lack of flavor. Yes, the build up of snot is condensed vapor that doesn't make it to your lungs, so if you are trying to avoid this, a frit may not be for you. I won't dispute if one is better than the other, it's all personal choices, but I do find the vapor that comes out of my frit AC to be quite tasty when using it with the Lotus.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Absolutely no offense taken or meant at all. I was merely pointing out that the "snot" captured by the frit in your description would help get you high, and probably add to the taste, if it makes it through. If you are reclaiming it from the frit there is no loss at all, you just don't get it on the first pass. :)

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Thanks @jambandphan03 ! Excellent advice here as usual. Got my vapor cap back, got the adapter to use it with the D020, so I'm gonna try that first. I want to get a J hook too, and compare. I've been preferring dry path with my 'nano, which surprised me at first, but it definitely tastes better to me.

cityslang

A taste on the tongue
Just tried some oil for the 1st time through the lotus did the ball of cotton wool method.

I assume that the popcorn taste like herbs meant it was done? Well I was been 10 years easy since I've had any oil

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
No clue on oil, but a piece of reclaim soaked cotton in my Lotus just kicked my ass through the crazy contraption (3 bubblers combined into 1 rig) :freak:

I think that popcorn taste is the burnt cotton (high heat?). Didn't someone mention some sort of hemp fibers that can be used in place of cotton? Where can I find that stuff?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
No clue on oil, but a piece of reclaim soaked cotton in my Lotus just kicked my ass through the crazy contraption (3 bubblers combined into 1 rig) :freak:

I think that popcorn taste is the burnt cotton (high heat?). Didn't someone mention some sort of hemp fibers that can be used in place of cotton? Where can I find that stuff?
Why complicate things?
I use a small piece of cotton from a pill bottle for shatter.

K.I.S.S.
TuZbWIZ.jpg

I like this the best!

I do this with a SOLO or NANO as well!

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
When I first tried my Lotus, I was getting a funky smell from the cap and unsatisfying results - thin vapor and uneven color to the herb. I needed to get the cap quite warm to get vapor too. I sent it in to MT and received it Saturday. It came back with the new, flat hot plate. I had a chance to try it last night. HOLY SMOKES! This thing is great. I'm finally getting the multiple, thick, tasty hits you folks were talking about!
I almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I didn't!

This time I tried it thru the D020, with a reducer, and the WTA. Same strain, same lighter, totally different results. I had zero problems heating it correctly, where previously it seemed difficult to get the proper temp.
So, maybe the new plate, or using it through glass, but it's way better. I can see benefiting from more practice, but it's much easier to use now. It's nice having a "cordless" option and almost instant vapor.

I'm looking forward to see what it can do dry. The flavor should be even better! Seemed like I got more, smaller hits than my 'nano would give me from a similar amount of herb. I probably will be able to get better extraction with practice, but I enjoyed being able to use it more. Now I see why everyone loves it!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
When I first tried my Lotus, I was getting a funky smell from the cap and unsatisfying results - thin vapor and uneven color to the herb. I needed to get the cap quite warm to get vapor too. I sent it in to MT and received it Saturday. It came back with the new, flat hot plate. I had a chance to try it last night. HOLY SMOKES! This thing is great. I'm finally getting the multiple, thick, tasty hits you folks were talking about!
I almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I didn't!

Hmmm... You are making me wonder as we got our Lotuses about the same time and I have been having similar issues. I have chalked them up to "the learning curve" but I should be past that now and I still am having issues. Did they tell you what was wrong or just replace the plate?

cybrguy,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Just the replacement, no info on it, but I did PM Max and ask again, 'cause I'm curious. I don't know if it's because I studied the instructions more, was using glass, or the WTA, but it's like a different vape. Totally easy to get good vapor now. Before it was definitely tricky, and I put it aside. Last night I had a very enjoyable session, zero problems. I kept hitting it, 'cause it was so tasty and fun. And I kept looking at it thinking "damn, this thing IS as good as they say".

I would have guessed the smell was coming from the wood, but the only change I can see on my cap is the new flat plate. NO funky smell now, just great flavor. Before, I would have given it away, now it may become my favorite.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I wonder if my plates are too close together and there is no airflow. I should be well past any "learning curve". I'm going to contact CS. I'm sure they aren't there today.

cybrguy,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
I wonder if my plates are too close together and there is no airflow. I should be well past any "learning curve". I'm going to contact CS. I'm sure they aren't there today.

Yeah, I would definitely look into that. All I can say is, I'm sure glad I did : )
I don't think it's because of the plates too close together, I think the design prevents that.

I've read a couple posts where people stripped the hex screws holding the plates down. Size is 1.3mm. I have been trying to find a key that small for a while, turns out my buddy had one. MT sells a very nice one, bit pricey if you only want the tool.

My key mics out a 1.27, so it should fit fine, but it didn't. It would only go part way into the hex nut. I believe that is why some are getting stripped. Perhaps these teeny hex screws are a bit smaller than they should be? I used a small diamond sharpening stone to carefully hone just a little off each of the six sides, right near the tip. This allowed the key to fit properly and easily start the screws. NOTE: this shit is small folks! You will need a magnifying glass or super duper vision to see the area you need to work on.

I AM NOT suggesting you get the tool and take your Lotus apart (I didn't). BUT if you NEED to, this seems to help. Here's a link to a cheap one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3mm-Metri...278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d6fe34c6
NOTE: I have never tried this one, it might fit fine. Try it before modifying :ko:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, I think I will wait to hear from them at least before I start mucking about with it. The device is warrantied and they have the experience to not have to guess what may be wrong... ;)

Edit: Got a reply and they are assuming I am just doing it wrong. Maybe I am but I don't think so. I will keep trying...

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Well, I think I will wait to hear from them at least before I start mucking about with it. The device is warrantied and they have the experience to not have to guess what may be wrong... ;)

Edit: Got a reply and they are assuming I am just doing it wrong. Maybe I am but I don't think so. I will keep trying...

Sorry to hear you're having troubles, maybe if you showed us a video of hitting the Lotus, we could offer suggestions?

Since I've taken more precautions with my Lotus and avoiding butane fumes, the headaches have ceased.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Kind of a good news bad news kind of thing. Good that you found the cause of the headaches. Bad, or at least inconvenient that it is the butane.

I really can't imagine what I might be doing wrong with the Lotus. I have tried about all the variation I could imagine insofar as ways of using the torch. I get the principle of how it should work. I wish I knew someone else who had one so I could compare technique firsthand. Problem solving is what I do for a living so it is odd I'm struggling with this.
I don't really have a good way to do video to display my technique but I may try.

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Kind of a good news bad news kind of thing. Good that you found the cause of the headaches. Bad, or at least inconvenient that it is the butane.

I really can't imagine what I might be doing wrong with the Lotus. I have tried about all the variation I could imagine insofar as ways of using the torch. I get the principle of how it should work. I wish I knew someone else who had one so I could compare technique firsthand. Problem solving is what I do for a living so it is odd I'm struggling with this.
I don't really have a good way to do video to display my technique but I may try.

Ok, but as a problem solver, you know we need info if we are to help. So, tell us what you're doing and what's going wrong. You mentioned you thought the plates were too close together. Are you not getting air flow? Do you get vapor? How does your abv look, etc.

Last edited:
pigfoot,
Reactions: cybrguy

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker

Can you take a picture of your loads after your first draw so we can see what the heating profile looks like? (Is it scorched on one side, evenly brown, black throughout, still green, etc)

Not having someone local to help show the way might be a pain, but there are still PLENTY of videos online showing people hitting their lotus. Those videos should help show you how we're using our Lotus.

It's really a well design device made of a few simple parts, there really isn't many parts that can fail.

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: cybrguy

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Can you take a picture of your loads after your first draw so we can see what the heating profile looks like? (Is it scorched on one side, evenly brown, black throughout, still green, etc)

Not having someone local to help show the way might be a pain, but there are still PLENTY of videos online showing people hitting their lotus. Those videos should help show you how we're using our Lotus.

It's really a well design device made of a few simple parts, there really isn't many parts that can fail.

Now that mine is back from MT, it works great! But before I sent it in, it was definitely difficult to use.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Now that mine is back from MT, it works great! But before I sent it in, it was definitely difficult to use.
Your experience is part of the reason I think there may be something wrong with the cap rather than just bad technique. But I only had a bad smell for a short period rather than the whole time I have had it so your experience may not be indicative of my issue.

I had a little better luck with it last night and am working on my technique. Of course it will take a little while as I get too buzzed and I am getting low of herb ... ;)

It tends to scorch on one side but stirring takes care of that. I can usually avoid combustion but not always. I think one of my problems when trying to get the higher temp vape was preheating too much. I have been trying to vary torch angle and distance. My first draw I am always after the flavor, so I usually have only a little color change and it is even.

Last edited:
cybrguy,
Top Bottom