• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Liquidizer Herb2Vapor System - Safety Butane Extractor & Mini-vaporizer

Liquidizer

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hello everyone! First let me say thank you to the FC crew for having us; I have learned an enormous amount from this forum and its members and am honored to present you our product:

http://www.liquidizer.com/

The Liquidizer Herb2Vapor Kit is an all-in-one package that includes everything necessary to safely, quickly and easily extract essential oils from your own raw herbs, creating an artisanal e-liquid that can be enjoyed anywhere with our mini-vaporizer.

We believe in “oil for one and all,” safely and easily. Existing tube style extractors all needlessly endanger the user in a cloud of butane vapor. After extraction, creating a potent stable emulsion from the extract has been a problem. We provide the solutions, tools, liquids, techniques and detailed instructions that allow a smooth transformation from raw herbs to the ultimate e-liquid in as little as 15 minutes.

Advantages/Features:

Safety – The Liquidizer Butane Extractor was created to make butane extraction safe and easy for everyone. The Liquidizer keeps the user far from the butane vapors during all times they are present in the air. There is no reason you should risk horrific burns by standing next to an extraction tube in a cloud of butane vapor, waiting for a canister to empty. Even if done outdoors, one outlier event – the one time you are forgetful of safety and either a cell phone, or tiny static shock, or glint of sunlight ignites the vapor – is all it takes to permanently damage your life. That once inescapable danger of butane extraction, physical proximity to the butane, is now obsolete with the Liquidizer.

Stand Alone Design - The Liquidizer has a patented, compact stand-alone design where the user moves the Liquidizer outdoors (extraction MUST ALWAYS be done outdoors) and with a squeeze of the clamp the user then immediately clears the area / returns indoors and allows 10 minutes for the butane to evaporate before returning to find the finest herbal extract.

Artisanal Batches – The Liquidizer is designed around the use of 100ml butane canisters, which are safer to use than 300ml canisters (although 300ml canisters will also work). The 100ml butane canisters are smaller, lighter, evaporate away faster and still thoroughly extract sufficient herbal material for individual users. They allow for the Liquidizer’s compact size and even use from a window with a steel cable. We’ve found 1 gram of herbs to 10 ml of butane to be the ideal ratio, and typically we extract between 7g – 10g of top quality materials with a single can, or we’ll use two consecutive canisters for 20g at once. These manageable quantities are what allow the use of small amounts of transport alcohols that evaporate quickly and keep the process quick, safe and convenient.

Quality – Thought and attention has been put into every detail. The butane leaves the canister, flows through our acetal nozzle and nitrile stopper (both materials with excellent butane compatibility). Our extraction tube, hose clamp and filter cloth are all made of stainless steel. Our stainless steel filter cloth is reusable and has a fine enough pore size to act as filter for wax particles during winterizing for advanced users (a process described in detail in our instructions).

Technique, Tools & Liquids – We include the tools and instructions to make the difficult task of working with small liquid quantities easy and efficient. We use blunt tip syringes for the storage and transportation of extract liquids. We include an aluminum “boiler buddy” ring to keep your glass beaker at a tilt at all times while heating your mixtures, allowing liquids to easily pool and be drawn up. We describe the “Zero Waste Technique” of working with very small amounts (2 ml) of transport alcohol to ensure no residue is left behind. We fully describe “winterization” of herbal extracts, and how to use our beaker, extraction tube, and stainless steel cloth to filter away wax precipitate to create “Virgin Electric Juice.”

EJmix – One of our proudest achievements is perfecting the formula for EJmix, a blend of PG and PEG 400 (as well as PEG300 and PEG200) for the ideal molecular weight and solubility for a permanent stable emulsion of natural herbal oils. Herbal oils and EJmix will never separate out. We recommend everyone begin with concentrated mixtures of 70:30 to 50:50 oil to EJmix blends to create one-hit knock-out punches of vapor, and only then progressively dilute according to their preferred method of use.

EJvape & Infinite Wick – The EJvape & Infinite Wick are designed to be the simplest and smallest possible portable vaporizer. The EJvape uses a minicig battery and a hand customized clearomizer to create an exposed bare silica wick for direct dripping of Electric Juice. We find direct dripping concentrates to be the most efficient and most flavorful method of use. In our instructions we describe “vaping the spectrum” and how to ensure the oils are gently boiled and never burned. Once the flavor turns, we “blaze away” the heavy residue into the air by allowing the wick to glow red for a rapid auto-cleaning that restores its purity for the next drop. No more buildup of dark crud on the coils; every hit is as clean as the first. The incredibly long life of the bare wick is what merits the name Infinite Wick. It is the ultimate in portability: the battery, infinite wick, and dropper bottle all fit into the small pocket of your jeans. You have everything you need for discreet public use anywhere at all times.

Benefits of Going Liquid – One of the goals of the Liquidizer is to move users away from solid/wax extracts and toward concentrated liquids. The most obvious benefit of such a transition is the convenience of using a dropper/syringe to dispense precise drops rather than toiling with scraping tools, rods and vials of dabbing. Further, during vaporization the EJmix moderates the temperate of the boiling extract to avoid rapid overheating and burning, guaranteeing the best in clean flavor. Additionally, going liquid allows for very rapid purging. The viscosity of natural extracts traps residual butane and requires prolonged heat/vacuum conditions for a full purge. Adding EJmix dramatically reduces the viscosity allowing the trapped gases to quickly and visibily bubble away in minutes. Even with an oil to EJmix ratio of 70:30, a smooth flowing liquid is maintained at room temperature with the equivalent potency of raw extract, but none of its inconvenience.

Odorless Juice, Full Flavor – We have found that the true secret to creating full flavored juice with muted aromas for public use is to toast your herbal material before extraction. By “toasting” we mean a very mild process of 20 minutes exposure to low heat (220F) in the oven. This reduces any remaining moisture and more importantly boils away the volatile aromatic organic compounds which are what give herbs their signature “green” smell and taste. The color of the oil will darken and the yield from butane extraction will increase, but most importantly, the fierce aromas will be muted yet the flavors amplified for smooth and potent artisanal oil. The improved flavor that toasting imparts also means the Electric Juice in your dropper can be used orally with minimal bitterness and astringency. One or two drops under the tongue or in a drink will create a gradual yet highly satisfying herbal experience.

This process works for tobacco, lavender, cloves, mint, hops, cinnamon, vanilla, and any other herbal material. The Liquidizer is strictly for use in extracting legal plant resins and oils, and we will ignore comments involving or referring to federally controlled chemicals. Please note that the oil content of herbs varies widely. Leafy materials contain fewer oils than flowers or buds. Butane extraction does work for tobacco; the yields are low but the aroma and flavors will be faithfully captured. Snus is particularly well suited for extraction. Also adding a few milliliters of alcohol to the extraction tube prior to using the butane, will add a touch of “dirty” flavors to your extract, if you so prefer.

Whether you are a new user who has never heard of concentrates or an experienced veteran of extracting herbal essences, the Liquidizer has something to offer everyone. It is the missing link - if you’ve ever dreamt of all the possibilities ecigs have yet to offer, now there is a way to make your own liquids, granting you full freedom and total control over what you inhale.

We look forward to your questions and as a token of our appreciation for the FC community, please enter the coupon code “FCSHIPSFREE” and click “apply coupon” for free shipping on orders over $150. Thank you again, and we look forward to hearing from you.

liquidizer_kit_portrait.jpg

Liquidizer

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Maybe I missed it somewhere but how much herb does a "load" require?

If using a 100ml canister we recommend 7g - 10g. If using a 300ml canister a tightly packed tube can fit 21 - 24 grams. We recommend thoroughly packing down the ground herbal material, the hose clamp below and the clamp arm above create very little possibility of blow out. It is a very solid overbuilt device.

GoGlass

<OP quote snipped>

Damm ! Thanks for these explanations Liquidizer.

Since i live in Europe, here we vaping only herbal material...

I know about dab, vaping oil, Persei vaporizer, only via the web and via FC. So now i understand better why it's so difficult to vape directly extracts.

I was looking for a "third way" between vaping herbal material AND vaping extract for a long time.

If your EJuice is concentrated as you said, yep, maybe it's the best way for outdoor IMO !!

And charging one drop for one 'session' may be ok, specially if the taste is not degrading !

One last question, about autonomy, with a fully charged battery, how many drops (approx) do you think we can vape with your model ? Thanks again & Good luck for your product !!!!!

For Persei users : can you describe me, in a few words for the neophyte who i am, this "decline in the taste and quality of the vapor over time" when you're vaping oils /waxs ?
I was reading that with Omicron/Persei models, you can vape 100-200 puffs before recharching the cartridge. But so ... what about THE TASTE ?

GoGlass,
Reactions: P666R

DubCRider

For Persei users : can you describe me, in a few words for the neophyte who i am, this "decline in the taste and quality of the vapor over time" when you're vaping oils /waxs ?
I was reading that with Omicron/Persei models, you can vape 100-200 puffs before recharching the cartridge. But so ... what about THE TASTE ?

The decline in taste comes from holding the button too long and cooking the entire load of concentrate or by using a low ohm cart at high voltage. 2.4ohm at 3.7v is the suggested combination for beginners. If getting a Persei be sure to order some 2.4ohm carts to learn on.

GoGlass

Thanks DubC, so if i understand correctly, if you're not vaping concentrate at too high temp (and maybe if you wait between puffs ?) the decline of the taste will be less consequent ?
Ok but, if we are in this scenario, could you tell me between the first hit, and the 30th hit, will the two hits have the same taste ?

GoGlass,

Liquidizer

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Thanks DubC, so if i understand correctly, if you're not vaping concentrate at too high temp (and maybe if you wait between puffs ?) the decline of the taste will be less consequent ?
Ok but, if we are in this scenario, could you tell me between the first hit, and the 30th hit, will the two hits have the same taste ?

GoGlass, the 30th hit will not taste the same as the first. Even the fifth hit will not taste the same as the first. Picture a fresh slice of pizza and now imagine you've cooled and reheated it five times. It's still edible, sure, but there exists a world of difference in flavor. If you really love and relish the full spectrum of herbal aromas and flavors, and you if approach herbal concentrates as a craft like a fine wine, you will absolutely notice the difference between subsequent hits. Heat causes rapid degradation of concentrates, so imagine the last bit of oil after 30 - or 150 - draws, heated just as many times over several days: does that sound appealing?

Atomizers are not sophisticated devices. There is no segregation of waste oil from fresh oil around the heating elements. Even if you don't burn the oil, once the concentrate is spent, its flavor changes and affects that of the fresh oil. With dabbing you are able to clean the heating element (typically with fire) between dabs of new oil, which is the same principle as the infinite wick, only with drops and ejuice instead. Try using a water pipe, whip style vaporizer, or even a normal prefilled ecig 150 times and notice the residues that build up. The same will happen to wax cartridges.

This issue isn't discussed more because it's accepted as a given that an off-taste doesn't matter as long as the effect works. Our goal however is to provide a refined alternative. Question claims regarding the quantity of draws; what really matters is the quality of the experience. Instant dense lovely one-hit knockout clouds of vapor, artisanal oil experienced fresh and unspoiled every single time, sized down to a mini-cig and dropper is what the Liquidizer offers.

Liquidizer,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

stickstones

Vapor concierge
damn I just learned a lot from that post!

so can you load your carts 1/20th full and use them for twenty hits and then fill them up the same again without any more degradation than if you used them full?

stickstones,
Reactions: KnowNo

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I really want to see a head to head comparison of these use cases:
  1. Cera oil cart with Liquidizer extracted oil
  2. Liquidizer EJVape Infinite Wick with EJMix oil and glycerine mixture
  3. Cera e-juice cart with EJMix oil and glycerine mixture
Sadly I don't have the access to materials or the spare change to do the comparison myself. I'm really interested in the EJMix product after hearing Liquidizer's description of it, and I'm curious if it would show any benefit in flavor for case 2 or even case 3 above versus case 1.

nopartofme,

Breathemetal

I really want to see a head to head comparison of these use cases:
  1. Cera oil cart with Liquidizer extracted oil
  2. Liquidizer EJVape Infinite Wick with EJMix oil and glycerine mixture
  3. Cera e-juice cart with EJMix oil and glycerine mixture
Sadly I don't have the access to materials or the spare change to do the comparison myself. I'm really interested in the EJMix product after hearing Liquidizer's description of it, and I'm curious if it would show any benefit in flavor for case 2 or even case 3 above versus case 1.

Agreed. Id like to see how the Cera handles the Liquidizer's products.

Breathemetal,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Hello everyone! First let me say thank you to the FC crew for having us; I have learned an enormous amount from this forum and its members and am honored to present you our product:

http://www.liquidizer.com/

[...snip...]

EJmix – One of our proudest achievements is perfecting the formula for EJmix, a blend of PG and PEG 400 (as well as PEG300 and PEG200) for the ideal molecular weight and solubility for a permanent stable emulsion of natural herbal oils. Herbal oils and EJmix will never separate out. We recommend everyone begin with concentrated mixtures of 70:30 to 50:50 oil to EJmix blends to create one-hit knock-out punches of vapor, and only then progressively dilute according to their preferred method of use.

Can you tell me a little about why your EJmix is better than just using 100% USP PG? Is the EJmix the same thickness as PG? I don't know much about PEG; does it alter the solubility of natural herbal oils compared to pure PG?

Oh, and I agree 100% with you that vaping just enough oil to satisfy you in a single session (by applying 1 or 2 drops worth, say 3 or 4 or 5 hits) and then cleaning the wick/coil before applying more oil for the next session, provides the best tasting and acting hits for the life of the carto. Though in that application a plain atty could probably serve the same purpose. On the other hand, a properly selected bottom coil carto, loaded with say 1.0g of herbal oil, as long as the waxes have been removed (winterized), will provide hundreds of hits without the wick/coil clogging and without horrible burning taste. If you like, I can suggest a carto you might want to check out that works really really well with very thick oil (way thicker than VG, for example).

Also, thanks to nopartofme's pointer to your web site, I read your whole operation manual, and I commend you for not only making a complex and dangerous procedure easy to understand and safe to perform, but I didn't find anything at all to even mildly disagree with (which is very rare for me :)). Your documentation is wonderful, and I recommend highly that anyone wanting to understand how to extract and enjoy essential oils read it. Your advanced topics, including winterizing, are a delight to read.

Thanks, and welcome to FC.

hansdampf

hello folks..

this sounds very interesting. liquidizing bho for vaping in a ecig/clearomizer. i'm looking for a very descreet way to make eliquid with thc for vaping. all i did read in the net was that you cant mix oils with pg vg, they will separate after a while. whats different with your EJmix?

sorry for my english..i'm very medicated now..

hansdampf,

Liquidizer

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Can you tell me a little about why your EJmix is better than just using 100% USP PG? Is the EJmix the same thickness as PG? I don't know much about PEG; does it alter the solubility of natural herbal oils compared to pure PG?

Oh, and I agree 100% with you that vaping just enough oil to satisfy you in a single session (by applying 1 or 2 drops worth, say 3 or 4 or 5 hits) and then cleaning the wick/coil before applying more oil for the next session, provides the best tasting and acting hits for the life of the carto. Though in that application a plain atty could probably serve the same purpose. On the other hand, a properly selected bottom coil carto, loaded with say 1.0g of herbal oil, as long as the waxes have been removed (winterized), will provide hundreds of hits without the wick/coil clogging and without horrible burning taste. If you like, I can suggest a carto you might want to check out that works really really well with very thick oil (way thicker than VG, for example).

Also, thanks to nopartofme's pointer to your web site, I read your whole operation manual, and I commend you for not only making a complex and dangerous procedure easy to understand and safe to perform, but I didn't find anything at all to even mildly disagree with (which is very rare for me :)). Your documentation is wonderful, and I recommend highly that anyone wanting to understand how to extract and enjoy essential oils read it. Your advanced topics, including winterizing, are a delight to read.

Thanks, and welcome to FC.

Haywood, thank you for your thoughtful review, it is greatly appreciated. We are happy to discuss why we put so much effort into creating and balancing EJmix. Typically in the ecig world PG and/or VG are the standard "carrier bases" in which flavorings and nicotine are dissolved. The nicotine and flavorings used are synthetic, of light molecular weight and low in impurities given that they have been chemically created. Natural herbal extracts are a very different animal, containing a wide range of non-polar organic compounds, as well as a significant fraction of plant waxes.

The reason there is a separation of PG and VG with oils is not so much a matter of solubility as it is of molar mass. For example the molar mass of paraffin wax, among the lighter waxes, is ~350-400 g/mol (all values taken from wikipedia/google). The molar mass of PG is ~75 g/mol and of VG is ~92 g/mol. The best way to imagine what happens in a solution is to picture a closet full of bowling balls with marbles tossed in (granted this is a crude oversimplification, the truth is density, solubility and molar mass/molecular weight are all interrelated in a complex solution). Two different arrangements will result depending on whether there are mostly marbles or mostly bowling balls. If you have mostly large bowling balls and you add in a few marbles, over time they slip through the gaps and form a layer near the floor. This is what happens when you make a concentrated e-juice that contains more waxy extract than PG/VG. On the other hand, if the closet is already mostly full of marbles and you toss in a bowling ball, over time cumulative vibrations will sink the bowling ball to the bottom of the closet. This is what happens when diluted e-juice is made with only PG/VG. Even stirred together with extreme agitation (say using a dremel tip for 20 minutes) we've found that days later the two mismatched compounds eventually separate out. This is further complicated by changing temperatures, which waxes are particularly sensitive too as they are solid at room temperature.

Enter PEG400 which has a molar mass of 380 - 420 g/mol (hence the 400). Now you are mixing bowling balls with bowling balls. It is a much thicker, heavier and syrup-like, clear, odorless medical glycol. It dissolves natural herbal extracts easily, particularly as plant oils and flavor tend to universally be in the 250 - 550 g/mol range. The problem is because it is so thick and heavy, even using a relative low gauge (meaning thick) dispensing syringe tip, it is a struggle draw up PEG400. In addition PEG400 does not wick as well due to its high viscosity and at cooler temperatures it really thickens up, meaning using a dropper to dispense outdoors on a cool autumn or winter day will be almost impossible.

When you mix light glycols (PG and PEG200) together with heavy glycols (PEG300 and PEG400) you get the best of both worlds. It's like a closet full of bowling balls, footballs, basket balls, tennis balls, and marbles all together. You are able to easily, instantly, completely and most importantly permanently dissolve and suspend natural extracts in solution. At the same time, viscosity is much lower, it wicks beautifully, the flavor is clean and pure, and even at lower temperatures the mixture has good flow (the smaller molecules lubricate and facilitate the movement of the larger ones).

We consider the final mix of extract and EJmix to be true Electric Juice that performs beautifully across devices and heating methods. Furthermore, the boiling point of the heavy glycols closely matches that of the desired flavors and oils. When heated, the glycols act as a temperature moderator, maintaining the ideal temp until they've mostly vaporized away along with the desired flavors. The temp of the coil is maintained at that "sweet spot" of 340F - 420F. It produces the ideal vapor cloud that contains everything you want and leaves behind the rest. There is a pronounced and sudden shift in flavor once the juice is "spent" and the glycols and flavor is gone, and all that's left is to blaze away the residue and start over.

When extracts are vaporized alone, overheating/burning is much more common as a higher than desired vaporization temp is the norm due to a high wax content (waxes have high boiling points). Neither would it help if you tried just a mix of ethanol and extract as the ethanol boils away immediately (and possibly catches fire) leaving the extract behind entirely.

That is why we had to create the EJmix and the results are evident to everyone who's used it and reported back to us, either in our tests or as satisfied customers.

Also, to make a note, we've never been particularly fond of VG. Because it has the word "vegetable" in its name people assume it's natural and safe, but it's less well understood that PG. Also there are concerns of VG decomposing into toxic acrolein at high temperatures. Mostly though we feel it has a bit of a subtle saccharin sweet flavor we don't particularly care for.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I got my hands on a liquidizer from a friend. I have been running my own BHO for a little bit now and have quickly become addicted (happily)to oil. The high makes me feel like I'm smoking for the first time again. (Don't you fuckers give me any shit about the smoking comment, it was a fucking flashback)

I'm about to get involved in your guide, this thread and whatever else I could scrounge up and I'm running a small batch tomorrow or some very dank LSD.

So far this thing looks great, I hate that fucking cloud of cold ass butane!

Liquidizer

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
I got my hands on a liquidizer from a friend. I have been running my own BHO for a little bit now and have quickly become addicted (happily)to oil. The high makes me feel like I'm smoking for the first time again. (Don't you fuckers give me any shit about the smoking comment, it was a fucking flashback)

I'm about to get involved in your guide, this thread and whatever else I could scrounge up and I'm running a small batch tomorrow or some very dank LSD.

So far this thing looks great, I hate that fucking cloud of cold ass butane!

Thank you for your interest!

We're pleased to announce we've just uploaded our first official YouTube video and definitely recommend you have a look before your first run. Remember to always use outdoors and enjoy!

We're happy to answer any questions.

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
so you add the ejuice to use the ejvape. do you need to add ejuice if you want to do dabs? or is it all ready to go

Rrose Selavy,
Reactions: mvapes

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Haywood, thank you for your thoughtful review, it is greatly appreciated. We are happy to discuss why we put so much effort into creating and balancing EJmix. Typically in the ecig world PG and/or VG are the standard "carrier bases" in which flavorings and nicotine are dissolved. The nicotine and flavorings used are synthetic, of light molecular weight and low in impurities given that they have been chemically created. Natural herbal extracts are a very different animal, containing a wide range of non-polar organic compounds, as well as a significant fraction of plant waxes.

The reason there is a separation of PG and VG with oils is not so much a matter of solubility as it is of molar mass. For example the molar mass of paraffin wax, among the lighter waxes, is ~350-400 g/mol (all values taken from wikipedia/google). The molar mass of PG is ~75 g/mol and of VG is ~92 g/mol. The best way to imagine what happens in a solution is to picture a closet full of bowling balls with marbles tossed in (granted this is a crude oversimplification, the truth is density, solubility and molar mass/molecular weight are all interrelated in a complex solution). Two different arrangements will result depending on whether there are mostly marbles or mostly bowling balls. If you have mostly large bowling balls and you add in a few marbles, over time they slip through the gaps and form a layer near the floor. This is what happens when you make a concentrated e-juice that contains more waxy extract than PG/VG. On the other hand, if the closet is already mostly full of marbles and you toss in a bowling ball, over time cumulative vibrations will sink the bowling ball to the bottom of the closet. This is what happens when diluted e-juice is made with only PG/VG. Even stirred together with extreme agitation (say using a dremel tip for 20 minutes) we've found that days later the two mismatched compounds eventually separate out. This is further complicated by changing temperatures, which waxes are particularly sensitive too as they are solid at room temperature.

Enter PEG400 which has a molar mass of 380 - 420 g/mol (hence the 400). Now you are mixing bowling balls with bowling balls. It is a much thicker, heavier and syrup-like, clear, odorless medical glycol. It dissolves natural herbal extracts easily, particularly as plant oils and flavor tend to universally be in the 250 - 550 g/mol range. The problem is because it is so thick and heavy, even using a relative low gauge (meaning thick) dispensing syringe tip, it is a struggle draw up PEG400. In addition PEG400 does not wick as well due to its high viscosity and at cooler temperatures it really thickens up, meaning using a dropper to dispense outdoors on a cool autumn or winter day will be almost impossible.

When you mix light glycols (PG and PEG200) together with heavy glycols (PEG300 and PEG400) you get the best of both worlds. It's like a closet full of bowling balls, footballs, basket balls, tennis balls, and marbles all together. You are able to easily, instantly, completely and most importantly permanently dissolve and suspend natural extracts in solution. At the same time, viscosity is much lower, it wicks beautifully, the flavor is clean and pure, and even at lower temperatures the mixture has good flow (the smaller molecules lubricate and facilitate the movement of the larger ones).

We consider the final mix of extract and EJmix to be true Electric Juice that performs beautifully across devices and heating methods. Furthermore, the boiling point of the heavy glycols closely matches that of the desired flavors and oils. When heated, the glycols act as a temperature moderator, maintaining the ideal temp until they've mostly vaporized away along with the desired flavors. The temp of the coil is maintained at that "sweet spot" of 340F - 420F. It produces the ideal vapor cloud that contains everything you want and leaves behind the rest. There is a pronounced and sudden shift in flavor once the juice is "spent" and the glycols and flavor is gone, and all that's left is to blaze away the residue and start over.

When extracts are vaporized alone, overheating/burning is much more common as a higher than desired vaporization temp is the norm due to a high wax content (waxes have high boiling points). Neither would it help if you tried just a mix of ethanol and extract as the ethanol boils away immediately (and possibly catches fire) leaving the extract behind entirely.

That is why we had to create the EJmix and the results are evident to everyone who's used it and reported back to us, either in our tests or as satisfied customers.

Also, to make a note, we've never been particularly fond of VG. Because it has the word "vegetable" in its name people assume it's natural and safe, but it's less well understood that PG. Also there are concerns of VG decomposing into toxic acrolein at high temperatures. Mostly though we feel it has a bit of a subtle saccharin sweet flavor we don't particularly care for.

Nice setup!

Cheers,
Tim

theCerberus

I believe that is what the warm water bath is for? to help heat up the container and purge the butane out?

I've been lurking this thread for a while and waiting for someone to mention this.

He's referring to a vacuum purge. This product doesnt appear to do that step, and butane could be trapped inside. It appears to rely soley on the warm water bath. I'm no expert on butane extract, but maybe its OK if you wait long enough/use enough baths to eliminate the bubbles. Bubbles that dont pop will contain butane.

Breathemetal

I've been lurking this thread for a while and waiting for someone to mention this.

He's referring to a vacuum purge. This product doesnt appear to do that step, and butane could be trapped inside. It appears to rely soley on the warm water bath. I'm no expert on butane extract, but maybe its OK if you wait long enough/use enough baths to eliminate the bubbles. Bubbles that dont pop will contain butane.

did not know that thanks for clearing that up.
the bho i get is not vac purged but its purged as clean as it gets...im sure it would turn out much better with an actual true purge

Breathemetal,

Liquidizer

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Isn't there some sort of purging process?

Thank you for asking, we've been wondering when the topic of "purging" would come up and are happy to answer.

In our video where ground clove is being extracted, the process is accurate as the hot water bath at the base of the Liquidizer is sufficient to purge all butane. Clove oil is very light and fragrant (viscosity similar to canola oil) so very little butane remains - anyone who's had a soda knows it's difficult to trap gases in a liquid, in a hot liquid it's almost impossible. Extracting tobacco also doesn't require purging as there's only a small (but highly concentrated) amount of extract that coats the walls of the beaker.

The issue is that some extractions will result in significant amounts of thick waxy resins which are extremely viscous to the point of being a semisolid (we will refer to solid extracts as "wax"). Due to this high viscosity, a small amount of residual butane is "trapped" and it takes considerable effort to purge it.

The simplest and most basic method of purging is heating. Heating turns solid waxes into a thick syrup allowing more of the trapped bubbles to escape. For example you'll notice in our kit a large aluminum ring, this is a purging ring. To heat purge your extracts, after extraction take the beaker, find a cooking pot of any size, add an inch of water, place ring in center, bring water to simmer, and place beaker at a tilt inside the ring (see photos in instructions). You have a hands free double boiler with your extracts pooling at the lowest edge of the beaker. Heat the beaker in this way for anywhere between 20 - 60 minutes or until the extract stops actively bubbling (realize that heating causes chemical changes in the extract that themselves release gases as plant acids breakdown into oils, so there will nearly always be small of amount of tiny bubbles that will form).

Some individuals go as far as using lab grade vacuum pumps to drive out even more butane (it is virtually impossible to truly remove 100% of it). Before you expend that much effort, it's worth asking why the obsession with purging in the first place?

(We would really love it for forum members to weigh in on what we'll say next)

The reasons for purging wax include improving appearance, texture and performance. Unpurged solid wax visually have tiny bubbles and are not as pretty as the perfect solid amber appearance of vac purged wax. The texture of unpurged waxes is stickier and softer due the dissolved butane, while vac purge wax becomes stiffer and harder. These are valid cosmetic concerns as appearance counts for a lot, and certainly folks charge more for pretty extracts. Most significant though is performance; with a wax that will be used for smoking and exposed to high temperatures, the residual butane may cause it to hiss and pop. Obviously a smooth burn is preferred.

Somewhere along the line however, some people developed the impression that inhaling the unpurged butane was some sort of major health concern, and we've even had an email or two claiming that unpurged extracts "poison" people (our instructions state to only use premium refined butane, how to do a "mirror test" to check for purity and to never use hardware store brands). If anyone on the forum has valid literature to the contrary please let us know, but we've researched the subject thoroughly and the MSDS and overall consensus is that butane is nontoxic . And it isn't even a matter of trusting government safety regulations, the chemistry speaks for itself; butane is such a simple molecule, a chain of five carbons, that it's metabolically inert in the human body, there's nothing for it to breakdown into. The inhalation warnings on butane containers caution against huffing concentrated amounts, which is dangerous mostly because oxygen is displaced and you suffocate (as well as frostbite risk). Inhaled in small quantities, butane is harmless. It's used as a propellant in cooking sprays and in thousands of cosmetic and industrial processes.

So although there are may valid reasons for purging, health concerns should not be among them. One breath of truck exhaust is far worse than all the residual butane in an unpurged wax.

In response to:

so you add the ejuice to use the ejvape. do you need to add ejuice if you want to do dabs? or is it all ready to go

If you don't mind dabbing unpurged oil, which isn't any more "toxic" the vac purged oil, it is ready to go right after extraction. Since we provide you with a purging ring anyway, you might as well let it sit in hot water for 20 minutes for improved performance in the future. We'll make a larger mention of this and other slight changes in the next edition of our instructions.

Then again, the best solution of all in our opinion, is to add EJmix and go liquid. As soon as the EJmix is added to the heated extract, the viscosity of the solution drops off dramatically, the glycols dissolve the structural waxes and the residual butane visibly bubbles off rapidly. Five minutes of heating and stirring purges Electric Juice more thoroughly than over half an hour of heating a solid. As we mentioned before, removing gas from a liquid is easier than removing gas from a solid. Butane has a boiling point of 32F and in a heated liquid glycol solution it easily escapes. The "15 minute" guideline we suggest is 10 minutes of extraction, and 5 minutes of heating and mixing.

Liquids are easier to measure, transport, store and dispense. The concentrated Ejuice is as potent as any wax, but vastly more convenient to purge and use. Ejuice is the future because it offers the ultimate in stealth and portability as it can be used with any ecig on the market (at least in the short term, natural oils will choke most atomizers quickly, which is why we include the Infinite Wick for continuous use).

We'd love to hear feedback from the FC community on the topic of purging, what degree of importance it has to you and why, as well as whether you disagree with us. Thank you.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Ok - so I've done my inital extraction, and currently running through the process of evaporating my 1st addition of 3 ML of the included ejmix. So far, this fucking thing is brilliant!

Review will come later - what I am finding confusing at this moment is I'm using the boiler buddy as instructed but it's not reducing much.

Top Bottom