The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

lazylathe

Almost there...
Dear people,

you must be extremely careful WHICH halogen lamp you use.
Some are not safe for inhaling due to toxic outgasing. (I experimented with some different brands while constructing the MUSA)
I can highly discourage from experiments in this direction.

Stay healthy my friends!
Drop a line and don't back it up?
If these quartz lights "off gas" it's because the bulb is broken and then it would not work anymore.
Cheap lights may have some paste leftover on the pins, I have seen this but they are super cheap lights and not the ones used in this project.

Do you have the evidence from "your testing" available for the forum to read?

The manufacturer asked for your data as did many others but you just left it hanging...

Please share, so we can all see this evidence.

VAPEHUNTER

I want to start off by saying how great the Highlighter is. So easy to use and so incredibly effective!
So I gently tried putting on the new TRWW handle I ordered and ended up getting a little crack at the end of my glass. Should I replace the whole housing now or should I sand down the wood handle so it fits better and just have it around the cracked part to protect it?
I wouldn’t sand it. There’s a chance the crack may grow. Just hit it with a torch, flame polish it.
I don’t know, maybe sanding it would do the trick. Is it a crack or a chip?

MUSA Vaporizer

Love, Peace and Harmony
Manufacturer
Drop a line and don't back it up?
If these quartz lights "off gas" it's because the bulb is broken and then it would not work anymore.
Cheap lights may have some paste leftover on the pins, I have seen this but they are super cheap lights and not the ones used in this project.

Do you have the evidence from "your testing" available for the forum to read?

The manufacturer asked for your data as did many others but you just left it hanging...

Please share, so we can all see this evidence.
I see no reason to give away my work and experience to a competitor for free.
However, I saw it as my duty to disclose some of my knowledge in order to prevent people from damaging their health.

I did not have to share my experiences in this thread.
You should rather be grateful and maybe start your own research.

Thanks for your undestanding.

lazylathe

Almost there...
However, I saw it as my duty to disclose some of my knowledge in order to prevent people from damaging their health.

:lol::lol::lol::mental:

Thanks for sharing!

Trackrat

Thank you MUSA for that important piece of information. Doing your own research is the best way to acquire knowledge. Someone else here mentioned about the safety of using halogen bulbs.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Long as they don't pop mid hit they are very safe near as I can tell.
👌
Did my Google and the issues will be wiring,insulators,housings.......materials not so much the bulbs.
Kind of a dick move to go into another makers thread and make vague insinuations without any facts.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@lazylathe
As far as i remember not all bulb are pure quartz. Some have other materials added to the mix in order to filter harmful UV rays. You can look for doped quartz and UV coatings. Is doped quartz a health concern ,i have no idea. There are also bulbs that are the not quartz but Aluminium Silica glass also for the purpose of UV filtering. Is that type of glass a heath concern or the UV coatings ,i have not bothered researching.
Aromed recommends Osram 12v 50w Halostar ,they are cheap and widely avaialble at least in the EU ,so i would stick with those, i havent died yet from using them,so i wont be experementing :) .
If i have to think of the biggest issue with halogen bulbs is touching them ,finger oils burn and create hotspots and bulbs explode,releasing whatever is inside. I have never seen an osram bulb exploding ,but i am very careful not to touch with fingers and always on alert for blowback,i guess residue from vapor on the bulb can also have similar effect.

MUSA Vaporizer

Love, Peace and Harmony
Manufacturer
He is known for this....

@Trackrat

Maybe re read post 27....
Its from @Abysmal Vapor
Thats a bad lie.

And my statement was not related to the halogen bulbs that come with this vaporizer.

Someone in this thread wrote "try all different available halogen bulbs" and in that statement I see a danger to your health.
In reference to this sentence, I made the statement that not all bulbs are safe.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Thats a bad lie.

And my statement was not related to the halogen bulbs that come with this vaporizer.

Someone in this thread wrote "try all different available halogen bulbs" and in that statement I see a danger to your health.
In reference to this sentence, I made the statement that not all bulbs are safe.

Thank you for your clarification.

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
I want to start off by saying how great the Highlighter is. So easy to use and so incredibly effective!
So I gently tried putting on the new TRWW handle I ordered and ended up getting a little crack at the end of my glass. Should I replace the whole housing now or should I sand down the wood handle so it fits better and just have it around the cracked part to protect it?
Flame polish the crack with a butane torch until smooth. Heat the trouble spot SLOWLY and very spread out - heat differentials WILL exacerbate that chip if you aren't careful. Use the best dark UV sunglasses you have (you will get sodium flare, which ideally you want special glasses for but a few mins with shades will probably be OK. If you do this professionally, don't cheat, get GOOD eye protection!!!).

-----

Respectfully;

Regarding all of the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that is being injected baselessly into this thread - I won't dignify it with a response unless sufficient evidence has been presented to indicate a deficit in materials selection. Full BOM spec is available for this project in effort to be as transparent as possible, it is all available on my site and has been vetted by many well-educated and experienced peers. Suggestions otherwise need evidence, or they can be discarded as easily as suggested, in favor of proven, peer-reviewed and approved materials.

Atomic11

Thats a bad lie.

I love how you write these condescending faux-professional replies as if you aren’t a well known clown in this community.

Based on the stories i’ve heard about the way you conduct your business, I see no reason why anyone would/should take your word about the safety of a halogen device that you don’t sell, in fact I think everyone would really like it if you just kept your vague criticisms to yourself.

If your intentions are truly harm reduction, then be more specific or shut up. Thanks.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Materials safety is often a complicated issue even if you are a scientist in a related field.

Here on the forum I think it is safe to say that health and safety that is something that we almost all care about deeply. However it can be difficult to have a meaningful discussion about materials safety, especially when it is done directly in a vaporizer model thread.

That's the reason we have a rule that says "If you have a question or comment regarding material safety, post it in General Discussion. Do not post it in a model thread."

While I understand that it's not feasible to to abide by the rule 100% of the time, in general I believe it should facilitate higher quality discussion and hopefully attract knowledgeable participants.

Things become even more complicated when manufacturers get involved in the discussion. Of course we appreciate their knowledge and experience, however great care must be taken to ensure a meaningful discussion. We don't want threads getting derailed and people getting upset needlessly.

In short: please respect the forum rules. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Materials safety is often a complicated issue even if you are a scientist in a related field.

Here on the forum I think it is safe to say that health and safety that is something that we almost all care about deeply. However it can be difficult to have a meaningful discussion about materials safety, especially when it is done directly in a vaporizer model thread.

That's the reason we have a rule that says "if you have a question or comment regarding material safety, post it in General Discussion. Do not post it in a model thread."

I Understand that it's not feasible to to abide by the rule 100% of the time. In general I believe it should facilitate higher quality discussion and hopefully attract knowledgeable participants.

Things become even more complicated when manufacturers get involved in the discussion. Of course we appreciate their knowledge and experience however great care must be taken to ensure a fruitful discussion. We don't want threads getting derailed and people getting upset needlessly.

Thank you for helping. :)

Thank you, @vtac . I am happy to entertain any and all productive materials science questions - this is important discovery for individuals to develop a level of comfort for a new product - I would feel the same! It behooves me to speak about the materials selection process.

Unfortunately, process dictates I need to dismiss unsubstantiated assertions that contradict peer reviewed evidence - that is all :)

AWistfulNihilist

This is a topic which highly interests me and I've spent a fair bit of time on it.

If anyone is really interested in going down the rabbit hole on this stuff, there are two types of doped quartz you will generally encounter. You will know the quartz is doped because the box will have a little hexagon with UV Filter written in it. Almost all of the small bulbs, especially in the wavelength range we're buying, are UV Filtered.

UV filtered glass has had either Cerium Silicate or Titanium Silicate added during the production process.

Here is a brief breakdown of that production process, we're talking specifically about type II-IV. The Silicates are mixed in the crucible, melted together. The doped metal is part of the glass matrix. We're not talking about glass voids filled with dangerous metals, we're talking about a very safe and well understood method of reducing the amount of potentially damaging UV light that leaves the bulb.

If a glass is coated, either inside or out (like flourescent bulbs), that represents a danger of releasing chemical on breakage. In order to release the Cerium or Titanium nanopowder from the matrix, you would have to grind and melt the glass, I don't think that's a use case any of us are currently worried about.

@arb makes a fucking excellent point in that there is a concern in off the shelf parts like wiring, coated metals, all that stuff. Thankfully everything you use to make this thing is retail packaged. You can trace back the materials back to manufacturing process if you want. You can also use your own sourced materials to replicate.

Either way, the bulbs are literally the only thing you don't have to be worried about, I guess is my point.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Appreciated. :tup:

Later on I will probably move some posts out of this thread and into the general discussion section.
Please HMU or tag me if my presence is requested and I'll to my best to constrictively answer questions :)

You probably don't hear it enough, so, on behalf of all of us, sincere thanks for your efforts to keep this place nice.

Jojah17

It's 26ga SS316L stainless steel heater/resistance wire. Ti or SS are the recommended wire types. Your best bet is finding an Ecig store and asking the guys at the counter for a few inches of 26ga SS heater wire. Most places assist with builds and may have this right on the counter.
So moving away from serious science talk and back to my incompetence as a diy'er. I can't find suitable wire anywhere. Would it be okay to use a bit of SS pipe screen cut to shape and pressed to fit into the socket holes?

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
So moving away from serious science talk and back to my incompetence as a diy'er. I can't find suitable wire anywhere. Would it be okay to use a bit of SS pipe screen cut to shape and pressed to fit into the socket holes?
This is actually my personal preferred method. Just make sure it's form fit to the glass to fit snug so that it holds its position. It works great :)

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I don't see why not. I'd cut a strip and roll a small "barrel" shaped plug. Should be just as acceptable as the wire solution, however it may restrict airflow openness just a tad.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Would this work as a clamp/holder/handle?
X2y6TVd.jpg

Top Bottom