The HI

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
Hopefully, but I'm not sure if either of us will live long enough to see that day to be honest :(

So are these 4 jaw chucks like you call them the new standard then, or is it just a different type of lathe? It sure looks a lot more convenient, but on the other side also a little less secure just from looking at it.

Gotcha. I just assumed you had troubles mating the vape with a GonG connection, but I guess it was a little more complicated than that.

I believe the vv psu you are using runs up to 12,4V or something in that neighborhood, right? I'm a little surprised that that isn't hot enough to darken your ABV. The max I use my HI on is 11,8V and at that voltage I have to stir after every hit to prevent it from getting to black. You must have a cool runner, you could consider a vv psu with a higher voltage output. Perhaps something like Rick is supplying if you don't want to spend to much.

Are you still looking in to those as well Alan?

11.8v seems to be my sweet spot when using bubs. nice vapor production without too much darkening. 12.4v is more then enough for me so far. i'm thinking about grabbing one of ricks vv too, just so i can mess around with higher voltage.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
11.8 is my spot too, though 11.4 produces a very tasty one-tube session. The higher voltage helps for two or more tube loads given the slight heat reduction over that period. 12.0 or 12.2 if I'm feeling like a cheeky monkey. :)

And I HI-ly love my VVPS.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
BDV, I think you better leave the 'wood picken' to the master. He knows the moisture content and all specifics that go into picking and creating a HI that performs to 'Great Vape's' standards. Start saving your pennies now, because when your number comes up,,,,,,you want to be ready to engage in the 'HI Life'.

Wasn't so much an attempt to get it on the cheap. I have a natural and "free" source to some of the nicest hardwood around (the Sequoias and Yosemite). Was just an idea. Plus, if I were to get my hands on a very nice/unique piece of wood... how much nicer would that be, to have my HI made out of?

I think it would be pretty cool.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Well, I gotta get some first. My mother-in-law only comes down every 2-3 months and then she has to remember to ask him. It also depends on what he has on hand. My wife went up there this weekend and I didn't even think of asking her... wish I could have gone and I would have certainly asked... or took my own walk into the woods.

But the guy, picks up some very interesting pieces and he makes things like bowls, feeders... up to a sandbox size (footprint) compost bin for her.

BigDaddyVapor,

tuscan tins

Boobs how the heck did you get your HI apart? The metal is totally stuck inside mine.

TV, I think I might be in need of a new core. I pulled mine out yesterday, and this is what I found:
tw411.jpg

The dangers of 14V. It still works though :rolleyes:

tuscan tins,

HoneyAir

While my PD did not have the buckling of the shell like you do here, after several years of use it cracked in the middle and snapped apart cleanly. Good thing these resistors are very cheap...

HoneyAir,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
BDV, I take a trip up the Northern coast about once a year, to the Redwood Forest "Avenue of the Giants" and up to Crescent City. I have found a lot of Redwood driftwood. I found one burl that looks like a Whale surfacing and breaking water. My sister got a 'huge' burl many years ago from Yosemite area. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of wood I've ever seen, and it's been her coffee table for over 40 years!

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
Boobs how the heck did you get your HI apart? The metal is totally stuck inside mine.

TV, I think I might be in need of a new core. I pulled mine out yesterday, and this is what I found:
tw411.jpg

The dangers of 14V. It still works though :rolleyes:

i took a wooden stick a shove it from the the bottom up, thru the resistor hole. it takes some effort to push it out. it is just held together by friction.

ilovebOObs,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
stickstones - You will be a JedHI knight before you know it. bOObs HIwalker is a good teacher.

OhTheAgony - The chuck threads onto the head stock of most lathes. It uses a key to tighten 4 jaws on the wood. The jaws can be changed out with different sizes / styles. It is a very strong way to hold / drive the wood.
I am still debating about the VV power supplies. The tattoo machines can supply more voltage than is necessary for the HI. I guess it is like having a very powerful car but just not driving too fast.
The nice thing about the HI is that the heating element can just be threaded out and a new one threaded in if it ever gets damaged.

BigDaddyVapor - Thanks. That piece of wood was sent to me for making into a HI. The wood was actually pretty wet but has dried out now that there is a hole all the way through the middle. I'm having better luck not trying to rush to the finished product. I should be able to use about any wood as long as it is not so soft that you can easily dent the wood with your fingernail. You will find some really crazy burl pieces in the most unusual places. I could sure provide a discount for what it would have cost me to purchase the wood.

Thanks Jeppy. I'm getting a little better with turning wood now. Always more practice.

staticsunn - Those little resistors sure can take a beating and still keep on heating. I have seen worse than that too. They will glow if you get them hot enough. The HI is unique in that you can take the heating element out for inspection and cleaning. Replacement is just as easy.
You don't really want the metal parts to come out of your HI. They are installed with a press fit. Your unit may still have the sleeve separate from the bottom washer. If it is not loose, it is better to leave it alone. If it is loose, I will replace it with an integral core under the warranty.
Shoot me an email and we can talk about heating elements.

tuscan tins

I think I'm just going to stop fiddling with it. It works just as well as the day I got it. If it does stop working, I'll send you some mail. :tup:

tuscan tins,
Reactions: Jeppy

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
SO I have gotten some more time to get some HIflying lately and have been very impressed :)

I have been mainly using the 14mm all glass turbo tube and my new bubbler. It makes taking hits super easy and I always get nice even abv. Love the VV for the temp control and I find I get the best looking ABV with maximum flavor at about 65-70% on the dial. I haven't measured the voltage yet just because it is fun to feel it out. I have found that if I get too close with the core and herbs that it can turn a little circle slightly darker than the rest of the ABV. I am still experimenting and since the GonG stem doesn't make a seal you have to kind of control it by dipping the HIsaber up and down like the iloveb00biebounce we have all graciously seen in previous videos.

My bowls have been lasting for about 6-8 hits with stirring each time. I use about as much material as I would use in a CRZ stem. At night though I tend to use more. The issue has been I just love using it so much that I have been flying through herb, and having a bit too much fun with Jeb-HI, but I think it is overall worth it :haw:

I also got a Bocote stem and have tried direct draw. The hits were very THICK and MILKY and tasted delicious. It did leave my throat a bit dry, but was totally worth it. Since I have been obsessed with glass hits lately, the wooden stem hasn't gotten much use, but it reminded me of a cigar and was great for a certain set and setting

Lately the HI has been all that I have used. I think the best part is being able to change the temperature and know that it is adjusting within about 5 minutes. This makes it super versatile. Also, I just want to mention that Alan's wood work and precision is amazing! I am very impressed with his glass work, and wood turning. Cudos Alan :clap:

More pictures and videos to come in the future, and as promised the sceme on my bocote displaying an alien and an ancient man with a mask. It may be hard to capture fully so I may have to photoshop point things out

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I had forgotten how few hits I get off the log stems! I'm used to 8-12 hits from the Cloud, and I forgot that the HI is a log with a smaller bowl than the cloud. I think I like the small dosing better...time to conserve! I'm bake to my four hits then cached routine.

Vapinghole

I had forgotten how few hits I get off the log stems! I'm used to 8-12 hits from the Cloud, and I forgot that the HI is a log with a smaller bowl than the cloud. I think I like the small dosing better...time to conserve! I'm bake to my four hits then cached routine.

I'm definitely digging the smaller dosage with my HI relative to my viVape (a forced-air whip vape). I'm conserving more and still duly satisfied :)

Vapinghole,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I'm definitely digging the smaller dosage with my HI relative to my viVape (a forced-air whip vape). I'm conserving more and still duly satisfied :)

but d00d how do you resist wielding the HIsaber all day to see how HI you can get? It is too much fun to stop!

Vapinghole

but d00d how do you resist wielding the HIsaber all day to see how HI you can get? It is too much fun to stop!

I know how you feel, Elluzion! It's very hard to resist. But I'm at work all day, so that's one thing keeping me from wielding the HIsaber until my "special time" after work and later at night. But on the weekends, especially lazy weekends, I'll use and abuse that sucker like a two-dollar whore, all day, all night. :tup: Seems like Jeb-HI is treating you well.

JedHis and PadHIwans - I've finally mastered a technique that suits me quite well given my lower-temp preferences. I must admit it's involved a lot of testing and vaping at higher-than-normal temps for me (not complaining at all, just got extra fucking HI along the way :freak:). Setup: 11.8v on the Hildbrandt VVPS with an all glass roasting tube via my glass piece of choice. A typical session for me involves 2 tubeloads. I "vacuum" my stuff directly from the grinder into the tube's bowl, just over half full (not packed, of course--I find sucking the material into the tube keeps room for plenty of important airflow). Then, using appropriate draw speed and HIsaber skill to keep the core at just the right height from the material, I get a very clean first draw with thick, tasty vapor yet no over-darkening. After the HI's first hit, it cools down slightly so I can worry less about the HI positioning and focus more on the vapor density to obtain my preferred temp. The second tubeload, depending on how zooted I get from the first and therefore how long it takes me to ready it, typically involves less fuss than the first because the HI's temp has settled a bit. But the awesome thing about the HI is it keeps delivering tasty vapor--it never gets so cool it won't HI your ass out. I can get 3 - 5 good hits out of a tubeload like this before it's abv to me. And I'll incorporate the bouncing bOObs technique from time to time when I'm feeling like a cheeky monkey and bolster the VVPS up to 12v or beyond!

Side note: I'm not playing with my nipples so much these days. I purchased five glass tubes w/nipples from Alan and I'm only using two, and even then haven't used them in a while. I've never touched the other three. Nothing against nipple play, I'm just keen on the technique I've developed with the GonG tube, of which I ordered two more from Alan :brow:. Perhaps I'll tinker with my nipples in the future.

Vapinghole,

seventhc

Are the toasty tops still available? I emailed him yesterday but got no response, so I'm just curious as to their availability or perhaps he's just busy with backorders. I only just came across it a few days ago but I do want one for sure.

seventhc,

seventhc

TV is a busy guy... just be patient, he'll take care of you :)
Thanks for the reply, that's what I figured but I wanted to make sure. I am so looking forward to getting one, they look so awesome and I love that they come apart.

edit: How do I get the vapes on the bottom of my posts like you have? I don't see an option anywhere.

seventhc,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks for the reply, that's what I figured but I wanted to make sure. I am so looking forward to getting one, they look so awesome and I love that they come apart.

edit: How do I get the vapes on the bottom of my posts like you have? I don't see an option anywhere.

put them in your signature

stickstones,
Top Bottom