The HI

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Right on,,,cool to see the glass that is and will be used with the HI. OTA, I'm trying to keep it specific to the HI. That's why I didn't search.

Jeppy,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
SHIT!!!! I just went out to vape and my VVPS was on 16.50!!! This fuckn thing went haywire!!!!! May have burnt up my HI. The wood was almost smoking. I could smell it. Shit.

Jeppy,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
It's been losing voltage??? I unplugged it last night and went with the fixed. Then this morning I read what bwade said about them getting hot, so this morning I plugged it in and it seemed stable for at least an hour. Then I left for a few hours, came back and went to vape and the VV was jumping all around 16. So far, my HI seems to be working but, I don't know the extint of the damage I've done.

Jeppy,

u bwade wunner

D ont worry at all Jeppy.Sounds like the VVS is screwed .Plug it out and chuck it into the garbage.keep the power lead in case you need it later as a spare.

The same thing happened to me.I turned my VV up when cleaning my desk area.I came back it was glowing red inside the Hi at 17V:o .It worked fine afterwords.the stainless tube liner in your'e Hi would have stopped the heat attacking your'e wood.

Its bombproof your e Hi.Have that confidence:)

What I would do next is ask Alan for a small fee to send you a replacement element and powerplug combo and plug spanner to you so if it fails later, You can screw a new one in there .No soldering needed.30 seconds work and then your'e good to go.use youre Zap Psu in your e Hi till the Hildy arrives.

The Hi wont let you down ever. it will be around for a very long time.:D

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
yeah you gotta love the design of the HI so easy to switch out parts if anything were to happen. i hope your wood is fine jeppy.

ilovebOObs,
Reactions: TV

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Before this thng with my VVPS, all was good. I've never left my HI plugged in 25/7 though. Only my CRZ. I would switch to the HI when I wanted since the heatup time is so fast on it. When I get the Hildbrandt I'll return to the normal routine. I'm using my old zap ps source right now for the HI. VVPS is the only way for the CRZ, but for the HI, I find I can cool to the right vaping temp with a dry draw prior to blast off. :rockon:

Jeppy,
Reactions: TV

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
It's happened; the vapor-stars have aligned and I am now ready to get myself on the HI train. Do I just PM allen here or is there a better way to do this?

Good show, CentiZen! Looking forward to your thoughts once you get HI. ;)

Vapinghole,

u bwade wunner

Welcome CentiZen

welcomegif.jpg

Enjoy the Ride

u bwade wunner,
Reactions: CentiZen

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Vape N Bake - I'm not sure how one of the dimmers would work with the regulated power supplies, but they should work with an un-regulated power supply. I don't have either to try it though.

CentiZen - Good to have you on the list. Thanks for the email.

Jeppy - Sorry to hear about your haywire power supply. That is always a possibility with a power supply that provides more than 12 volts. The heating element is pretty rugged. It may not be damaged too bad. You can remove it for examination and replacement if necessary. It is a log vape design feature unique to the HI and TT. Accidents do happen and it is nice to have a simple repair.

u bwade wunner - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm hoping the the HI design will allow it to operate for a very long time. Thanks for letting Ed know about the heating element tool. Here is a link to some discussion of it. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-hi.4693/page-46#post-211669
I have been having good luck with roasting spearmint leaves with the HI. Very cool tube modifications and nice photos. Ed did a fabulous job on the tubes.

BigDaddyVapor - I have been hearing a lot of stories about inexpensive tattoo machines failing or not being able to handle the load. I have been using an HY-152A power supply for about a year and a half now with no problems. It only goes to 15v max. Some of the more expensive / well built tattoo power supplies should also work but may produce more than 15v.

u bwade wunner

Very nice Alan.That is just what is needed 15V max.I believe Ive just found the digital version for anyone that is looking for a digital display.This is Alans Unit below.15V max and a digital version below both priced at $40 on amazon and available also on ebay and other outlets.

So Alan supplies a Variable voltage power supply with the Hi.It is a great unit and sufficient for the task of powering the Hi.Its max. power is 12V.

Some Hi owners and owners of other logs have upgraded to Tattoo PSUs which seem a bargain,Inexpensive with a nice LED display showing current voltage output.They have a voltage max of 18V.pretty scary.At 18V the log unit will still run but the element will glow red hot and there is potential for damage to the log or worse Fire.Two of these units have failed already on this thread.One, my own jumped to 17V while cleaning my vape area.I hit the voltage control by accident.I was lucky to avoid serious damage.The second unit belonged to jeppy decided it would jump to 17V i believe of its own accord.

the Hi and some other logs work best under 12V output..They can be cranked over 12V short term for quick heat up for example.

The two Units below have a maximum output voltage of 15V which means they are a little safer but still have all the bells and whistles like Voltage display.

Please be careful when deciding to on a variable voltage PSU.I leave mine on a lot when I leave my home and there is a risk if the power supply were to fail the voltage could spike to 18V.With the voltage in the units below limited to 15V there is less chance of Fire or damage.I am upgrading to one of the units below asap.Ok enough of stories!

Regarding the input voltage of these units below I am reading different Mains Voltage specs on different websites so i would contact the seller like this one and enquire if these units will work on worldwide mains voltage before you buy.

tekpowerdcvariablepower.jpg

Tekpower DC Variable Power Supply, 1.5-15 V @ 2A, HY152A

there is some better detail about the PSU above here

A lot safer than some units like my own which range 1-18V and may cause accidents.My next purchase for sure. You may have saved a few logs here Alan.:tup:

anyway a picture of the digital version also $40! Ebay

tekpowerhy1502dcpowersu.jpg

Tekpower HY-1502 DC Power Supply, 1.5 - 15 Volts @ 2 Amp

N.B These supplies will require banana plugs instead of the microphone jack we are using on current tattoo supplies.A small price to pay for a safer experience.

Stay safe everyone:D

There is a link to this post post on the power supply thread

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Right on,,,cool to see the glass that is and will be used with the HI. OTA, I'm trying to keep it specific to the HI. That's why I didn't search.

Gotcha :tup: I don't think that the way you use a HI with water filtration is that different from most log vapes though, that's why I suggested looking at the others as well to get a good grasp of what you could use if you wanted too.

Hope your HI is still ok btw :uhoh:

I didn't have time to go through all the new post yet, but I just noticed something above me I wanted to comment on quickly:

You don't perse need banana-plugs with a regular (oppose to tattoo) variable PSU. The red & black things on the sockets can be screwed loose & then you can attach a plain stripped wire to it tightening them back it to place. I've got up to 3 different logs at the time hooked up to mine that way, I imagine it would look rather silly if I had 3 plugs on each lead stacked up like that, not to mention the extra desk-space they would take in.

& I agree Bwade. If you are serious about your logs just spend the few bucks extra & get yourself a decent power supply. Those tattoo things are nice & cheap to start with & some of them are really good & can possible last a life time. But from the experiences I've seen on here so far I'd say it's more or less a gamble, & why would you want to risk your beautiful logs for a mere 20$ or so?

u bwade wunner

You don't perse need banana-plugs with a regular (oppose to tattoo) variable PSU. The red & black things on the sockets can be screwed loose & then you can attach a plain stripped wire to it tightening them back it to place
Yeah That brings me back to my amateur radio days OTH when I was always late for school because i stayed up late chatting to cbers:D . I hooked my rig up just like you did bare wire onto the pins.There is even two holes in the posts so you can thread the copper wire onto the terminals.B plugs are just to keep a single log a plug in plug out affair.
So with 2amp supply.each log drawing .8amps max or less?.In theory 2 amp supply might be enough for 3 logs?
yes thats the way to hook up 3 logs at a vape station allright.Wow 3 logs Im impressed Big 10-4 your'e cookin on gas my friend:lol:

u bwade wunner,
Reactions: OhTheAgony

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
From what Alan said, it appears the most important things about the vvps, is that it can supply at least 2a and doesn't exceed 15vdc.

That appears to be the problem with a lot if these vvps, running it hot at 16v+. That, or the unit is not ventilated properly and is overheating. $25+ should buy an adequate supply (from what I've looked at) given those parameters are met. The parts to make one, at manufacturing prices... they're still making a decent profit.

BigDaddyVapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Did you use a CB radio as well Bwade? I actually still have a few QSL cards from Australia (I believe you're from Oz too, but I'm not entirely sure..?) from when I was 15 & operating a supped up President JFK :lol:
It had to be clear weather to reach that far though, my 9 yard long antenna was a DIY so it may not have had the best of reach.

Thanks for explaining the two holes btw. I tried to in my post above but I just couldn't figure out how to describe it in English at the time without sounding like to much of a perv so I just deleted the attempt :)

I've never seen my logs take much more then 0,5 amps (my PSU comes with variable amps & displays the drawn amperage as well), I would feel comfortable hooking 3 logs up to a 2Amp PSU myself as long as you don't go over 12V to much. Heck I'd go as far as 4 even probably, although I wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you are doing. When I use my HI with the CRZ stem or the SS nipple (90% of it's use atm) I never go over 11,5V & logs usually are around 0,4A at that voltage from what I've seen.

Yeah, it's starting to get a bit out of hand. Soon I'll have a Hot Pod too, & I still need to get something in Ambrosia maple as well some day.. :rolleyes:

I still have a long way to go to reach the max on my PSU though, since it can go up to 15A according to the label. I mean, it's meant to be maxed out after all, isn't it? :brow:

u bwade wunner

BDV yep I went through 27 pages on ebay trying to find a PSU that limits to 15V and hit a blank!..welli found a few,but not what i wanted.Big lab setups etc.
OTH I grew up in Ireland.Yup I had a ham Concorde which was modded and a lollypop next to my bed.Zero sleep for years.Dad had the Jumbo with a beam and rotator.he made me a dipole and later i bought a G penetrator.we lived on top of a huge hill in a place called Man O War with a view over Dublin city.lot of fun before mob phone days.
I just spotted the link to youre PSU for youre log.thats a beast.I like how you have to physically change the volts with a screwdriver.how is it working out for the Hi and Crz?.24 hour non stop or just when you need it on?.
these logs are so reliable.I can understand why we all get so attached.Sweet to see the new models out there too.I thought about it but I can t come up with anything new so I ll wait.I have a sweet heat port .3mm SS made up but I'd rather get Alan the guru to make mine.It works so well and its a bit of art:cool:

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh yeah, I remember seeing you type funny to another Irish bloke on here before now :lol:

It's possible we talked too then, if you were active in the late '80's. I do not remember talking to that many Irish folks though, there were a lot of Scottish people but I often can't understand a thing they're saying, lmao.

I'm sorry, I don't know any of the radio's you refer too or any other HAM radio. Over here they made (idk what it's like nowadays so I'll just stick to the past-time) a big distinction between CB & HAM. I could just buy a license for a CB at the post-office for 30 guilders a year I believe, but you needed to invest quiet a lot more before you were allowed to use or even posses a HAM radio over here. You need to get a diploma first even I believe.

Yeah, that's my baby :D

He's not as big as he looks in that picture though, just click temp control in my sign to see it next to my UD & HI.

I know it looks a bit odd in photo's, but you don't need to use a screwdriver to change any settings. Those are tiny little knobs (about a cm long and 8mm wide) that are a bit heavy to turn (impossible to change a setting by accident) but still easy to grab between two fingers.

I love it, it works great with all my logs. I don't have a CRZ myself though, unfortunately. I just got my hands on one of Rick's stems thanks to Cluffy, who was kind enough to help me get one just before the Aromazap lights went out (Rick doesn't ship to Europe himself). All I have are the vapes in my sign plus a Wychwood. I still need to update my signature but I want to make more pictures first to put in there so I can show everything off properly :p

edit: I forgot to answer something.

I don't leave mine on at night anymore ever since I got this PSU. The display backlight is to bright to sleep with for me :lol:

But all these new logs heat up so quickly I don't really find it necessary to leave them on 24/7 either. When I used to leave it on was mostly for reassurance anyway, there weren't that many occasions that I actually needed it to be. I seem to have my insomnia under control for some time now finally :tup:

Oh what the heck, lets do another edit:

I just read the rest of the posts on this page & in case it wasn't clear, my PSU only goes up to 15V as well. It can be found for around 40 euro's on ebay, but it'll only function on 220 to 240V. The power cords is modular, mine came with a UK power cord but it uses a fairly common socket & I use mine with a cord with a EU plug from an old radio/cassette recorder.

OhTheAgony,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
yes you can BDV. i'm getting the upgraded model. I had the other model just a step up from the one you show there. It lasted less then 6mos of 24/7 use.

Sorry, I've kind of been following this conversation in a different direction than most, looking at some of these alternatives. That new unit you purchased is nice. I believe, this is the unit you said is/was failing?

Stealth-tattoo-power-supply-1.jpg

Its the one, just above the one I linked before. I'm wondering, if you just had a lemon. This is the power supply, that they sell with the majority of their kits. These are built to be pretty durable. They're well ventilated.

For something built to run a tattoo gun, I can't imagine a vape running at or below 12v and less than 2amps, is going to be much of a problem.

Don't mean to come off as antagonistic, please don't take it that way. Electronics, like these... just aren't that difficult to make, cheaply and still make something that can last longer than 6 months, even under 24/7 conditions.

BigDaddyVapor,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Quick question; but does the HI come with a power brick? If so I'd imagine it would be a single voltage one; but that's fine for the first little but. I'll probably end up picking up a hildbrant anyway but I'm interested in the possibility of having a smaller power brick for taking places.

As well, now that we are all worried about overvolting our logs; has anyone attempted using an off the shelf voltage regulator like the LM317 to limit their power supply? That will be something I'll be experimenting with once I get my units.

Just wondering, do we know how long the wait list is or have an ETA? I'm in no rush, it just would be good to know.

CentiZen,
Top Bottom