The HI

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
That is an AWESOME new design! I love it. It looks so clean! Sharp, man! Congratulations on never stopping Alan, and I applaud your JEDHI Master quest for perfection. :clap:

chimpybits

Alan, I'm learning the beauty of your waitlist approach. That is one unique HI right there. Swap out that metal ring for one with a gold-y, brass-y colour and you would have the perfect gift colours-wise for an Ottawa Senators fan I know. (NHL Hockey - not that I watch. He has an impressive (??) collection of this coloured paraphernalia and memorabilia).

Your core outer tube and centre (YES! another Canadianism) tube re-design sounds great. The center tube is now the core. OK, that just sounds cool. I like that ideas from the GTV prototype project carried over. I see this is consistent from tt to hi to gtv. Good ole innovation I reckon right there.

Aesthetically though I believe I prefer the older plug design. It strikes me as now having more - not less - surface elements - a bottom ring and a metal ring on the side. I do see how this ring and socket is "cleaner" looking. I just want - wood.

From an engineering viewpoint however, assume I know nothing - because I do. For instance, I don't know why the "traditional electrical connections in the base is always a good option". Nor what the problem was for the user with the right-angled plug - other than being less common - though still easily obtainable. Is this new plug design more durable?

EDIT. Now, if this bottom wooden cap paved the way toward a bottom battery option, then I'm a happy waiting camper.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
looks awesome, Alan!

chimpybits...I welcome the new plug. My old one is easier to hit and knock out of whack. This is a more solid solution.

chimpybits

looks awesome, Alan!

chimpybits...I welcome the new plug. My old one is easier to hit and knock out of whack. This is a more solid solution.
Ah thanks stickstones, that is an advantage. I wonder if the bottom edge of the previous HI was more prone to damage (little chips and dings); whereas, the bottom wood disc of the new model will be inherently less prone? (I also see that the original prototype HI had a wood base).

Still, I think I'm going to have to convince myself that I like this new plug design (at least aesthetically which for me is an important aspect). I look forward to seeing more wood combinations. I wonder if I'll just want a close match with the same wood on the disc as the rest.

chimpybits,
Reactions: Alan

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
chimp, The first HI saber came into being when the precursor JEDHI order combined advanced offworld technology of the TT with a forging ritual, learning how to "freeze" a laser beam. The earliest known functional HIsaber was the first log, built on Typhoon prior to the Force Wars by an unknown JedHI Master, 'Alan Wan Kenobi' known only at the time as the Wooden Weapon Master. With the formation of the JedHI Order after the Force Wars, ceremonial weapons were an integral part of their order. For millennia afterwards, the JedHI continued to use:
hisizetoasty.jpg
, as HIsabers had not yet been refined for eternal use. Thus we have before us, a new day in the JedHI world.
ebonyandivoryhiback.jpg

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
I have tried, but have been unable to put my HIsaber away for even a few hours, since it first arrived. I have been training with 100% dedication to the jedHI arts, & the utmost respect for my fellow jedHIs.
However, I seem to need some assistance! After many (always) un-wanted 'combustion-incidences', I do believe it is time for me to acquire a VV power-supply. I don't know if Alan can help with that or not (he didn't have any available when he made my HI), ATM. I know many of you have acquired a VV power-supply that has worked well, & would appreciate yalls expertise. :shrug:

Where should I go about acquiring my VV power-supply, & also which kind should I be looking to get? Would like to be pointed towards the specific models, that have been used with a HIsaber successfully. Thanks in advance, & be one with the force my jedHIs. :tinfoil:
-Alan, loving what I am seeing & hearing! Keep it up :tup:

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
I have tried, but have been unable to put my HIsaber away for even a few hours, since it first arrived. I have been training with 100% dedication to the jedHI arts, & the utmost respect for my fellow jedHIs.
However, I seem to need some assistance! After many (always) un-wanted 'combustion-incidences', I do believe it is time for me to acquire a VV power-supply. I don't know if Alan can help with that or not (he didn't have any available when he made my HI), ATM. I know many of you have acquired a VV power-supply that has worked well, & would appreciate yalls expertise. :shrug:

Where should I go about acquiring my VV power-supply, & also which kind should I be looking to get? Would like to be pointed towards the specific models, that have been used with a HIsaber successfully. Thanks in advance, & be one with the force my jedHIs. :tinfoil:
-Alan, loving what I am seeing & hearing! Keep it up :tup:

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-tattoo-machine-power-supply-pw11

I usually run at 11.8 or 11.9. In the winter I run at 12.0-12.1 I had initially bought one of the cheaper models. It failed in less than 6 months. This model is precise and has lasted well.

u bwade wunner

Hi alan.

i love the new power plug arrangement.
have you kept the 5;5 plug in the hi body or just run the element legs into the base like Rick?
The new port sounds interesting.can we have a pic of the new center tube and aluminium plate?

Very clever stuff raising the air intakes.

i think matching wood for the base and body will be very nice.although the ebony hi is very sleek.i love the natural grains and look of wood.

This is a pretty major update to the hi.

Looking forward to seeing your e new unit in action.

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
GratefulVapor, I would also suggest loading less in your tube and keeping it farther away from the heat port.
Thank you, I think that's a good suggestion mom! I had noticed .. a slight trend .. when I tended to try 'to load more than usual' into my roasting tube. It's kind of like playing with fire, works sometimes but is likely the cause of the majority of my combustion incidences. :doh:
As always, thank you very much Jeppy!!! If anyone has a diff. model that is reasonably priced & have had good results with, please don't be shy about sharing! This jedHI wants to keep it HI, with a nice VV (instead of the alternative, using my non-saber vaporizers).
On the topic of combustion, what is the regular practice when say combustion happens in a Turbo Tube(of which you are roasting in simply the Silicon tube). Is it advised to not use that tube anymore? How long do you guys use the Silicon, before replacing(in general, after normal use)? Also any quick tips to keep my HIsaber in good order? I know there isn't much maintenance required, but I feel the need to clean out the 'inner chamber'(heat island area), & possibly care for the wood in some way? My hands are often sweaty, which probably isn't good for the wood. :disgust:
:peace:

GratefulVapor,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

toros23

Thank you, I think that's a good suggestion mom! I had noticed .. a slight trend .. when I tended to try 'to load more than usual' into my roasting tube. It's kind of like playing with fire, works sometimes but is likely the cause of the majority of my combustion incidences. :doh:
As always, thank you very much Jeppy!!! If anyone has a diff. model that is reasonably priced & have had good results with, please don't be shy about sharing! This jedHI wants to keep it HI, with a nice VV (instead of the alternative, using my non-saber vaporizers).
On the topic of combustion, what is the regular practice when say combustion happens in a Turbo Tube(of which you are roasting in simply the Silicon tube). Is it advised to not use that tube anymore? How long do you guys use the Silicon, before replacing(in general, after normal use)? Also any quick tips to keep my HIsaber in good order? I know there isn't much maintenance required, but I feel the need to clean out the 'inner chamber'(heat island area), & possibly care for the wood in some way? My hands are often sweaty, which probably isn't good for the wood. :disgust:
:peace:

Here is a VVPS some of us have had good success with:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310411225398

I own a couple and have not had any problems with them. You'll need a power cable as well to go from the DC output to the HI.

One more thing to consider, if you feel you have loaded too much you can also pull harder/faster to quickly cool things down. As for combusting, just clean well and you are good to go again once you get the nasty combustion smell out.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have noticed that the nasty smell after combustion is more in the glass tube than the silicone. A complete wash and rise with alcohol (then water) will remove the combustion taste. I have some silicone tubes that are over a year old. They just darken a bit from absorbing oil but still taste fine to me.
The Vapor Lung works well for telling when poor airflow could cause combustion. If the sides of the VL begin to pull in, then I stop and stir to improve air flow. It is easy to just keep pulling when you use your own more powerful lungs when the screen is blocked too much.
The video I recently posted of the Vapor Lung in action features my prototype of the new design.

Here is a photo of the HI Core Support Plate that sits at the bottom of the hole. It is similar in form to my logo. I still need to punch a hole in the center for the 3/8" core center tube which attaches to it.

hicoresupportplate.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
ebonyandivoryhiback.jpg

I think we are being lured to the darkside of the force. Doesn't that Hi-saber belong to Darth Maul? Those are his colors after all. I believe this is the birth of the Sith Lord Hi-saber. Very dangerous this one is...
That's the one that is en route to me. Due to arrive today. Can't wait!
And UI have No problem being a Sith. You can call me Darth Arf :evil:

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
AAARGH! It's sitting on my desk at work, but I've been home sick for two days!! Dragging my ass in tomorrow no matter how sick I am - I'm not going the weekend without it!

Darth Arf,
may the vapor be with you

PB88123

Vaporist
Here is how my HI looks after a year. I've never applied anything to the wood and never cleaned the inner parts of the HI. It has been on 24/7 at 12.4v the whole time. I have silicone on both sides of the stem. The bottom silicone is around the glass to provide an air tight seal. The top silicone holds the screen and the glass nipple. So it is all glass + screen and the top silicone provides an area for me to hold as the glass gets hot. To clean I pull off the top silicone which holds the screen and glass nipple and drop it in a bag of ISO. I run it under some water and use a can of air to dry it. Good as new.
*Click image for bigger version*

Top Bottom