The Herbalizer

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I was actually responding to Tex about the accuracy of the heat gun. Sorry for the confusion. :)

I know it is running cool, though. I can put the exact same strain in my Solo, set it to 7, and get lung busting clouds.

Vicki,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I was actually responding to Tex about the accuracy of the heat gun. Sorry for the confusion. :)

I know it is running cool, though. I can put the exact same strain in my Solo, set it to 7, and get lung busting clouds.
I touched up my last response to you.
It feels like a "bowl issue", like something is not seating or there is a leak.
I hope you will call the Herbalizer folks.

Vitolo,
Reactions: Vicki

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
lazylightning,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
You're right @Vitolo I should call Herbalizer. I'll probably wait until after the holiday, though. I'm looking at the bowl, and I don't see anyplace it could be leaking. It still looks as good as the day I got it.

You guys don't think I can ever get an accurate temp with a heat gun?

Vicki,

MinnBobber

An infrared heat gun is not the right tool for the right job in this case. This is a repeat of some earlier info but using it on a stainless steel kettle with boiling water (212 F) will yield a temp off by 100+ F.
You need to know the emissivity rating for the metal you are testing, especially for shiny metals like in the Herbie screens. Here's the quote again:

"Substances with very low emissivity ratings, like highly-polished metals, tend to be very reflective of ambient infrared energy and less effective at emitting their own electromagnetic waves. If you were to point an infrared thermometer with fixed emissivity at the side of a stainless steel pot filled with boiling water, for example, you might get a reading closer to 100°F (38°C) than 212°F (100°C). That’s because the shiny metal is better at reflecting the ambient radiation of the room than it is at emitting its own infrared radiation."

You need to find/borrow a digital thermometer pen like Tex used to get an accurate temp--so you can give Herbalizer a true picture of where your unit is at. The basket screens and the main screen look like stainless. Your temp reading could be WAY off without knowing the emissivity of the metal. It's the nature of the IF guns, they are very accurate on dark metals and totally off on shiny metals unless you know the correction factor.

wax

An infrared heat gun is not the right tool for the right job in this case. This is a repeat of some earlier info but using it on a stainless steel kettle with boiling water (212 F) will yield a temp off by 100+ F.
You need to know the emissivity rating for the metal you are testing, especially for shiny metals like in the Herbie screens. Here's the quote again:

"Substances with very low emissivity ratings, like highly-polished metals, tend to be very reflective of ambient infrared energy and less effective at emitting their own electromagnetic waves. If you were to point an infrared thermometer with fixed emissivity at the side of a stainless steel pot filled with boiling water, for example, you might get a reading closer to 100°F (38°C) than 212°F (100°C). That’s because the shiny metal is better at reflecting the ambient radiation of the room than it is at emitting its own infrared radiation."

You need to find/borrow a digital thermometer pen like Tex used to get an accurate temp--so you can give Herbalizer a true picture of where your unit is at. The basket screens and the main screen look like stainless. Your temp reading could be WAY off without knowing the emissivity of the metal. It's the nature of the IF guns, they are very accurate on dark metals and totally off on shiny metals unless you know the correction factor.
But IF work well for ti nails,ceramic nails, quarts nail?

wax,

MinnBobber

But IF work well for ti nails,ceramic nails, quarts nail?

IF temp guns work ok/fine on black flat metals. For other surfaces the uncorrected temp readings are way off.
Here's some info regarding a corrections table for various substances and a warning:

"The accuracy of the following figures is almost impossible to guarantee as the emissivity of a surface will not only alter with regard to texture and colour but also with its actual temperature at the time of measurement. We would recommend, in the first instance, comparing measurements found, with an accurate surface probe or wire probe, and then the Infrared thermometer can be adjusted to match the correct emissivity and used for subsequent measurements."

Here's an example of how wide they can vary even for the same metal:
Aluminium: anodized 0.77
Aluminium: polished 0.05

Copper: polished 0.05
Copper: oxidized 0.65

Stainless Steel 0.59
Stainless Plate 0.34
Steel: galvanized 0.28

This is why an IF gun will show a 212 F boiling water kettle to have a temp of about 100 F. Now for a flat black cat iron pan---it would be very accurate.

So even for the same metal the correction factor is wide ranging--then throw in that texture changes it
so , for example, the irregular texture of the Herbie surfaces makes it a big ???

For something other than flat black metal/paint, the only truly accurate method is to take the temp with a surface probe type instrument, and then adjust the IF to read correctly. But hell, if you take the temp with a surface probe then you don't need the IF reading...

Are ceramic and quartz close enough to glass as most glass rating are around 0.95 and most IF guns come with that as the standard correction factor ? So it might be pretty accurate??
Glass 0.92
Glass: chemical ware (partly transparent) 0.97
Glass: frosted 0.96
Glass: frosted 0.70
Glass: polished plate 0.94

My chart doesn't even list figure for Ti but it's probably out there somewhere

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'm definitely calling Herbalizer on Monday. All I have access to right now is the IF gun. I'm also out of flowers right now, so I can't do any further testing at the moment.

Vicki,

Green_Foiler

Anybody use keef on top of a little bud? Does this work well in the herbie? I assume so but wanted to see if you guys have tried this?
Also is there anyway to use a 14mm wt/ht off the bat with the whip? Or is there something you can buy at a store and make it fit a 14mm wt?
I'm getting my herbie in the morning and I'm off all day!!!!! I'm so pumped!
Experimenting begins tomorrow. Which temp shall I start with... Hmmm....

Green_Foiler,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Anybody use keef on top of a little bud? Does this work well in the herbie? I assume so but wanted to see if you guys have tried this?
Also is there anyway to use a 14mm wt/ht off the bat with the whip? Or is there something you can buy at a store and make it fit a 14mm wt?
The whip will plug into a 14mm female joint. Enjoy!!!

Madcap79,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I put my kief on top in some whip vapes... purpose to get the kief closest to heat so it can run through the rest of the weed.
In Herbie this is better accomplished by dropping the kief in the basket at the bottom.
Otherwise the kief gums the top screen... by it's nature.. the heat does well to hit the kief first.
Placed in the bowl as a "topper".. due to heat direction... the kief becomes a bottomer, rather than a topper.
To top an Herbalizer load with kief... put the kief in first. See how cleanly it works!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Update on my Herbie problem. I picked up some GSC yesterday, and tried a tiny bit in my Herbie, only enough to cover the screen. I set the temp to 445F and used fan assist, through my bubbler. I got huge clouds. I think it was the material I was using, and that's a big relief, knowing my Herbie is ok. :) :nod:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Update on my Herbie problem. I picked up some GSC yesterday, and tried a tiny bit in my Herbie, only enough to cover the screen. I set the temp to 445F and used fan assist, through my bubbler. I got huge clouds. I think it was the material I was using, and that's a big relief, knowing my Herbie is ok. :) :nod:
Still strange that you got clouds with the other flowers out of the Solo and not Herbie. Maybe convection vs conduction?

Madcap79,

lazylathe

Almost there...

Girl Scout Cookiea to the rescue!!
One of my favorite strains!

Good to know your Herbie is still good!! But strange at the same time but something I notice as well with different strains in different vapes.

lazylathe,

MinnBobber

.................................................................................................................
Whew, glad to hear that. I thought it sounded very odd for a Herbie to go down.
Vape on-- into 2015 and beyond

MinnBobber,

Green_Foiler

Happily vaping with my new Herbie! This thing is amazing and I love how I can use my pinnacle pro WT with the whip without a adapter! Did Intense setting earlier and loved it! Now doing uplifting around 300 and feeling great!
Happy New Year everyone!!!
Thanks to everyone at Herbalizer for such a great vape!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Thanks guys! I am really relieved! I was dreading having to send it back in, and that whole process. Fortunately, I have back up vaporizer's, but I would just miss Herbie, lol

Vicki,
Reactions: Tex

John Lewus

I finally tried the thermapen and heat gun test myself and found that at 445 with the bowl on but empty with top screen removed and thermapen stuck down in there that the temp climbed as high as 460 and still barely going up when the fan quit. I don't think this is the best way to measure though since the bowl would trap some heat above where 445 is being measured at the output. I also tried using it with no bowl and holding the thermapen right above the metal and that climbed just above 445 when the fan quit. It never really settled on a temp but I believe that my herbie is properly calibrated. I wonder how fast of a temperature sensor the herbie has built in. The thermapen is not really ideal for air temperature although it has a 3 second time for reading meat temp.

I did the same test with my heat gun with 445 and the fan on and the temps were much lower (230F or so) so I don't think the heat gun is a valid way to test as was previously discussed.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I think I spoke too soon. This morning I noticed my Herbie bowl was leaking vapor, and not near the whip. Looked like it was from the sides. I don't think the bowl's covered under the warranty either. :ugh:

Vicki,

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I think I spoke too soon. This morning I noticed my Herbie bowl was leaking vapor, and not near the whip. Looked like it was from the sides. I don't think the bowl's covered under the warranty either. :ugh:

I have 2 Herbie bowls in regular use. I notice it doesn't take much for the two halves of the bowl to come apart just enough to break the seal and let vapor out between the halves of the bowl. More to the point, this lets fresh air into your Herbie bowl and drastically dilutes your hit. Now I always make sure to give my bowl a good tight twist before placing it on Herbie. And if my clouds are a little thin, the first thing I check is if my Herbie bowl is twisted on tight.

FaceDownScutUp

See if there's any built up abv dust in the threads as well. Sometimes I get a build up there that keeps me from screwing the bowl closed properly. Other than that, just try and keep that bad boy real tight. I've noticed it comes undone super easily -- I've even had it come totally unscrewed just from the act of passing the whip when the connector was in wrong.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It's so weird because I've never had any problems until now. I wonder what the Herbie bowl lifespan is. I've been using it daily for 6 months, but I am extra careful with it. I wonder if exposure to high heat numerous times, on a daily basis can weaken the seal.

In any case, I filled out the service form on the Herbalizer website this morning. I don't expect to hear anything back from them until next week.

Vicki,
Reactions: Tex
Top Bottom