The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwien

Sidebar.....

Stu, when did you become a mod? God, I must be sleepwalking through FC or something. When I first read the last couple of posts from you, I was thinkin'.........."Fucking Stu. Wannabe mod", and then I glanced at your avy. lol

Anyway........gratz !!! :tup:

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
It's funny. When reading some of these threads where things get a bit intense, I have this uncontrollable feeling of wanting to chant, "Jerry..........Jerry......", until I realize that I'm actually in it at full swing. :uhoh:
I am honestly interested in how this product won't end up being a scorching hot little e-pipe. The most recent video caught my attention because it kinda looked like a trophy bass trying to steal a worm off a hook . . .

klipsch

I am honestly interested in how this product won't end up being a scorching hot little e-pipe. The most recent video caught my attention because it kinda looked like a trophy bass trying to steal a worm off a hook . . .

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they mentioned use of 3D printing, which to my knowledge hasn't been done in the vape community yet.

sadf

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they mentioned use of 3D printing, which to my knowledge hasn't been done in the vape community yet.

Laser sintering of the heat exchanger; it will likely be a small spiral or similar form to facilitate heat transfer, think Supreme Vaporizer's heat exchanger for a rough idea.

I've been wanting a pen-form vaporizer for a while now and there's no physical reason one cannot exist. Vaporizers are pretty simple machines so I was optimistic when I first saw the Grasshopper but some sketchy online behaviour from them soliciting spam on Reddit and elsewhere, the unprofessional videos and fact that this is the third recent attempt at bringing a product to market by the company shook my faith. Their claims that no near-final prototype exists for testing at this stage despite a promise of delivery for production models in three months kills it for me; I'll be waiting until such time as a retail product exists and has user feedback.

In addition, this vaporizer uses a proprietary battery, meaning that should Grasshopper cease to exist at any point in the future you will be unable to purchase new batteries, eventually leaving you with a paperweight.

Given that Grasshopper is all but guaranteed to meet the minimum funding goal within the next few days I would urge caution for those who remain on the fence or for whom $100 is a substantial sum of money.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I'd like to see more of the front-end, to see exactly how its screen solution is set up. Is it a simple metal screen, or something more clever to aid in cooling the vapor?

I also wonder how the load is insulated from the heat exchanger itself. Can it be used with the back end pointing toward the ground, or is that a road to e-pipe-land?

I've been wanting a pen-form vaporizer for a while now and there's no physical reason one cannot exist.
I dunno, I can think of a few…

If it operates via convection, how do you manage a heat exchanger that's hot enough to work without making the outside of the pen uncomfortable? This is the biggest eyebrow raiser of the Grasshopper team's claims for me.

If it operates via conduction, how do you heat the load evenly or make it easy to stir the load in that form factor? An unsung perk of the launch box is that the shape of its trench makes it a snap to move the load around. It's not easy to reliably move herb around like that in a tube.

Last edited:

James C

EDM and vapor enthusiast
In addition, this vaporizer uses a proprietary battery, meaning that should Grasshopper cease to exist at any point in the future you will be unable to purchase new batteries, eventually leaving you with a paperweight.

Isn't this true however of tons of other portable electronic devices? Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the unit even has a user replaceable battery, something which a number of other portable vaporizers don't have

grokit

well-worn member
So if they hit $100k tomorrow/next day, do they get the $ now, before the 30 days are up to get an earlier start on making the pen itself (stretch goal$ get released later as they hit them)?

Or do they have to wait until the 30 days are up before getting any of the money?

grokit,

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
Isn't this true however of tons of other portable electronic devices? Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the unit even has a user replaceable battery, something which a number of other portable vaporizers don't have

Not necessarily. Batteries for the Solo, for example, can be swapped out, but it is a process for opening up the unit. I'm sure that PAX would be changeable, but might break warranty.

The Grasshopper's design makes it so that the user can easily change the batteries. The argument against GH is that if they go under, who will sell those proprietary batteries? If Arizer went down, we could still get batteries for the Solo. IIRC, I think The Thermovape Cera is an example of what GH is doing: custom battery and removable, but I'm not completely sure if the exact batteries are offered from a third party (I wouldn't think so). I think users can use a different battery for the Cera, as long as it's a similar mAh and fits the unit. You guys should correct me if I'm wrong (probably am).

Last edited:
Fenton Mewley,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The material looked evenly vaped to me for the temperature they specified... I'd say that's a decent indicator, though probably the only one so far that makes me think it actually works. They really need to get a few units out to us to quell the fears :nod:

If it's financial issues that are holding demo units back, hopefully in a few weeks when they complete the campaign they can fund that? :D

I still think the ABV says something about it, as well as the clouds.

The argument against GH is that if they go under, who will sell those proprietary batteries? If Arizer went down, we could still get batteries for the Solo. I think The Thermovape Cera is an example of what GH is doing: custom battery and removable, but I'm not completely sure if the exact batteries are offered from a party (I wouldn't think so).

Hmm? Cera uses 18650's, those aren't proprietary? There are different kinds of 18650's, some better suited than others, but that's a question of more run time or hotter temps. If GH uses a proprietary battery setup and they go under, you're out until a power adapter can be rigged. If TV goes under, you can purchase batteries from a variety of internet sites. In both cases, you'd probably be out warranty and labor for repairs too. The 18650's and the 14500's that power my Ultra aren't so much proprietary as they are "hobbyist" batteries.

Last edited:

James C

EDM and vapor enthusiast
Not necessarily. Batteries for the Solo, for example, can be swapped out, but it is a process for opening up the unit. I'm sure that PAX would be changeable, but might break warranty.

That's really interesting, thanks! I wasn't aware of the fact that batteries from those vapes could be bought from third parties. Now I'm gonna be looking at all my old rechargable electronics like razors, etc. whose batteries have died to see if I can replace them :)

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Hmm? Cera uses 18650's, those aren't proprietary? There are different kinds of 18650's, some better suited than others, but that's a question of more run time or hotter temps. If GH uses a proprietary battery setup and they go under, you're out until a power adapter can be rigged. If TV goes under, you can purchase batteries from a variety of internet sites. In both cases, you'd probably be out warranty and labor for repairs too. The 18650's and the 14500's that power my Ultra aren't so much proprietary as they are "hobbyist" batteries.
Yup. In fact, I'm not familiar with any portable vapes that use proprietary batteries. The Ascent, Pax, Solo, Inhalater, and the Pinnacles all use 18650's that are sealed inside. The Firewood has NiMH AA's sealed inside. I'm pretty sure the Grasshopper is something of a first.

Last edited:

darkrom

Great Scott!
Grasshopper wait and nonsense thread where are you!?!:)

Until there is a product ever made, this thread is the same thing. Zero people have tried it, 100% of everything is speculation and promise. There is nothing to discuss BUT the wait and the high expectations that have been set.

I think most of us agree that some sales pitches being made are next to impossible to deliver. Desktop sized hits from a pen? If that is the case, without being pure smoke, I'd be absolutely blown away. I don't see how its possible to fit such a potent heater in there. It'd be the next level for sure, but that would be surprising. If that is something they could really deliver, everyone will be throwing cash at them.

However, if I was capable of delivering that, I'd want to show it off to everyone as much as possible, knowing that people would in fact be throwing cash at me. A lot of people are waiting to see like I am. If they'd show us in a video a start to finish session, at a NORMAL angle, with nothing "weird" in the video, with desktop vape power....how many people like me would have paid already? It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective to not use the crowd funding campaign for MASSIVE free advertisement and to generate the funding they need. I'm reminded of my grade school days. "I've got (insert something unbelievable), but I just can't show you." I feel like they must realize that seeing is believing, so why aren't they showing more? How long does it take to record a 5 minute video to generate potentially hundreds or thousands of extra sales? Why would ANY good businessman not be showing off the goods if they actually worked as described? Where would Billy Mayes have been if he just said "this stuff is awesome, you should buy it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom