The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbinky

Really for the cost I am surprised they don't give us a few for free and then charge $5 for a pair after that.
I'm not surprised. That's why McDonalds trains their pimply faced counter people to always ask "Do you want fries with that? How about supersizing that order?"

https://conveniencestorenews.wordpress.com/2008/08/21/increasing-sales-with-add-on-purchases-3/

It's a back-door price increase.

It's not the $5. Buzz has been telling people about that bleeding mouthpiece for months now. Everyone expected they were going to get one included gratis. I'm 100% sure that Trevor and the entire GH team knew this. And knew that people, myself included, were counting on it acting as a Bubbler adapter and etc. And they allowed people to believe it. At any point, they could have said something to someone about charging extra, but they chose to keep absolutely silent about it.

And apparently they are only telling people it's not included when they contact them for shipping conformation, and then try to get an extra $5 off them. Not cool.

Last edited:
Mrbinky,
Reactions: Gregori

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I would assume the company maybe still is strapped for cash and they need the extra $ they will be getting by whatever accessories they can sell. It's very expensive starting a new business like this. I wish them all the luck in the world.:) happy weekend - it's hot here in the Pacific NW.

I guess it's easy for me to say, I haven't shelled out any money yet. Just waiting on the review from folks on this thread. I really appreciate all of Buzz's reviews. Thanks for all the hard work.:lol:
the videos and the reviews take time.

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
If they never said it would be included then w.e, they could easily tag the $5 on now as an extra order for new orders. for those getting 2 thats now another $10, but without the piece gotta figure a way to use with water tools... but time(Buzz) will tell

vapebuddy13,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
If they never said it would be included then w.e, they could easily tag the $5 on now as an extra order for new orders. for those getting 2 thats now another $10, but without the piece gotta figure a way to use with water tools... but time(Buzz) will tell

A silicon tip is great for pounding out hits on the go, but with a water tool doing the cooling....I'd rather have a real GonG made. Already know just who can do it too....:ninja:

Mrbinky

I just spent the last few hours catching up on everything I missed in this thread. I am going to try to touch on the questions I saw. Huge thanks for @VegNVape and everyone else who helped share the reddit content on FC. I only had my phone, so posting on Reddit was an easier option for answer questions:

A few people asked about the the size of the unit. It has a 14mm wide body, and the mouthpiece that comes with it happens to fit perfectly on 14mm glass

11008355_817862991625933_680674398_n.jpg

A couple questions were about the Mouthpiece material. The Mouthpieces are made of Silicone. They 3d printed a mold, and poured silicone, however they did say that the ones that come with production units will be nicer/better in some way.

There were a few comments about me comparing it to Pax on vapor quality? The comparison to the Pax was a quick off the cuff comment after I had minimal experience and mostly on max temp. Once I started figuring out my draw, pack, and temps, I was able to get much more flavor out of the Grasshopper.

The recharge time I have experiencing is around 90 minutes. With the final production charger, they estimate it will be 50% faster. As of now the battery can only be charged in the unit with the supplied charger cable (It is pass through so you can use the unit while charging) They do have an external charging dock in the works, but its not finalized. They also have spare batteries that can be purchased for $7 (they told us this was essentially cost)

Someone asked about using a digital charger. They did have one in their shop, but they 3d printed the battery holder for their owns size. They used the following settings: LiPo, 3.7v, 2Amp at most.

I wanted to make sure everyone knows the temp dial is not just 5 temps, you can set it anywhere you want in between the numbers.

There was a bit of talk about what exactly they are modifying in the final units compared to the ones I used. First they have a better screen, it is designed, but it wasn't in stock while I was there. Second they are changing the threading slightly on the mouthpiece so it goes on and off with a bit less turning. Third they are changing the charger, they are both making the chord thicker, and they are increasing charging speed by roughly 50%

There were some questions about the unit getting hot. Yes it does get hot if you keep hitting it. It does have a few things going for it that makes it not a big deal for me. First is that it loses heat VERY fast, so if you take a draw, turn it off, and just hold the unit for a few seconds before your next draw, it doesn't get hot. If you want to turn it on high and kill a bowl in a few hits you can put the unit in your pocket for 1-2 minutes and it will be fully cooled down for bowl #2, or if you want to kill bowls fast at high temp and chain them one after another, the silicone mouthpiece makes this possible.

As far as load size goes, I filled it with the herb I have right now, which is a bit more moist than I would prefer, and it fit .30 grams into the chamber. I then took only 3 hits through the D021 in the picture above, and this is the ABV that came out:

I also took an instagramvideo during the 2nd draw (video size limit made me cut out the middle): https://instagram.com/vaporizerwizard/p/0I_tcDrGA9/ (I got even more/denser vapor on the third draw)

1m53QE0.jpg

A couple people were asking about the differences between the Ti and the SS units. Here is how Trevor explained it to me:

"Ti is more emissive, meaning that it can transfer heat to the environment more quickly. This might seem like a bad thing, but it is actually a good thing. We don't want heat on the outside of the vape, we only want it on the inside. So if the outside starts to become warm we want the heat escaping to the environment as fast as possible and not sitting in the housing building up. This is the property that allows for a bit better performance. If you were drawing on two units, one Ti, one stainless, at the same rate the housing (mouthpiece) of the Ti would heat a bit slower."

Like many of you, I was very skeptical of this vape initially because of the expectations they set for themselves. I was extremely worried that the product wouldn't live up to the hype and It would be awkward if I didn't like it. But so far after a little under a week of use I am still very impressed, especially for the price.

I would love to answer any other questions I haven't addressed, or if there is something I should clarify further. I am also planning on making a small initial thoughts video, what would you like to see in the video? (I am still not ready for my full review video, I want at least another week or testing)
So the silicon mouthpiece is a standard accessory? That's new news, right?

I just wanted to remind everyone what was posted on page 170. Way back in March...

Mrbinky,

snamuh

ghost
Can 3rd parties make screw on mouthpieces?

Edit: wrote this before seeing other replies.

I don't think saw gh announce officially that the silicone was going to be included.... Just what buzz said....

It still amazes me what people expect from a company that hasnt even even finished building its base structure. When I preordered in April I did so with the understanding that its a gamble.

I just don't get the complaining.

Chaos reigns supreme! #notrust
Accept the chaos and find peace or deny it and know no heaven!

Too philosophical.

Mrbinky

Can 3rd parties make screw on mouthpieces?

Edit: wrote this before seeing other replies.

I don't think saw gh announce officially that the silicone was going to be included.... Just what buzz said....

It still amazes me what people expect from a company that hasnt even even finished building its base structure. When I preordered in April I did so with the understanding that its a gamble.

I just don't get the complaining.

Chaos reigns supreme! #notrust
Accept the chaos and find peace or deny it and know no heaven!

Too philosophical.
What, Trevor didn't read Buzz's review? Never read this thread? Never had an opportunity to discuss the issue with anyone in the past 2 months?

Mrbinky,

Mrbinky

IMHO Trever doesn't have to police internet threads.
He is one of the few people who was given a pre-production unit and wrote one of the first reviews, if not the first review of their product. I would personally find it very difficult to believe that Trevor and the rest of the team would have ignored that review and the subsequent discussion.

If it was my company. My product that I'd spent years investing my time, life and heart into...I think there is nothing on earth that would have kept me from reading those first reviews and the public's reaction to them. Probably multiple times. Probably discussed them at length for days with my team.

You doubt that?

Kalessin

It is more a matter of principal than the $5
That's how I feel. If they had said when I emailed and asked that I would have to buy one, I'd have been cool with that. Wouldn't have even questioned it. But since I was TOLD that it would be free, I will now be very unhappy if I have to pay.

snamuh

ghost
He is one of the few people who was given a pre-production unit and wrote one of the first reviews, if not the first review of their product. I would personally find it very difficult to believe that Trevor and the rest of the team would have ignored that review and the subsequent discussion.

If it was my company. My product that I'd spent years investing my time, life and heart into...I think there is nothing on earth that would have kept me from reading those first reviews and the public's reaction to them. Probably multiple times. Probably discussed them at length for days with my team.

You doubt that?
I understand what you are saying. But what I'm trying to say is to not expect other people or businesses to live their lives or run their businesses based on how you would live or run your own.

snamuh,
Reactions: inuhuion

Mrbinky

I understand what you are saying. But what I'm trying to say is to not expect other people or businesses to live their lives or run their businesses based on how you would live or run your own.
And I am advising you to be very wary purchasing a $140+ product from a company that is not interested in the contents or accuracy of the first public review of that product. A review written by someone they had invited into their headquarters, spent several days with, and purposely seeded with one of the first pre-production units...no doubt for the specific purpose of writing said review.

Why would a company that cared about the quality of their product, future public perception and sales, and the long term viability of their company do that?

Mrbinky,

Bradhend15

And I am advising you to be very wary purchasing a $140+ product from a company that is not interested in the contents or accuracy of the first public review of that product. A review written by someone they had invited into their headquarters, spent several days with, and purposely seeded with one of the first pre-production units...no doubt for the specific purpose of writing said review.

Why would a company that cared about the quality of their product, future public perception and sales, and the long term viability of their company do that?
If a $140+ dollar investment is going to make or break you, I think it's safe to say you've got bigger problems.
Take it easy there, big guy.

Bradhend15,
Reactions: slcbdco

peaceonearth

high since 1968
Of course they should honor their promises, at least to those who they specifically made them to, even if they later changed their minds and decided not to provide them for free to everyone. They've never been shown on the website as being included free with orders. Why not wait for Trevor's reply to Buzz before getting all worked up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom