Discontinued The Grasshopper

Splatterpop Circus

How sensitive is the Grasshopper to draw technique? I'm used to the E-Nano that I can just hit however I like and get instant vapor, but I got a Firewood 3 a little while ago and it's (relatively) finicky as hell. Since I haven't been able to get reliable vapor from the FW3, I've been considering a GH as a replacement, but if it's at all reliant on technique I'm worried it won't work for me. I'd heard it was a dead simple vape, but I've also seen a few comments on how you need to draw a certain way so I'd just like some clarification.

I suspect I'm just naturally sucky at draw regulation, I have various dexterity issues with my disabilities, so I really need something super easy.

Splatterpop Circus,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Eatrocks

So I’ve been away from this thread since I canceled my GH pre-order last fall, but glad to be back and great to see folks finally getting their long-awaited hoppers. Painful to read of some folks having continued failures, but from what I’ve gleaned from the last several pages it does seem to have evolved and the newest ones tend to have less failures - or at least I hope so ‘cuz I just got me one :)

Briefly here’s my story then will share some initial thoughts. I was originally a Feb 2015 pre-order, cancelled in October because it was obviously not up to snuff yet, spent the next 5 mos waiting for the Zion that never came, finally cancelled that and got an Underdog for home and pre-ordered a VapCap Ti for away, which I recently received. Love both, except that the VC which I thought would fulfill my portable needs, doesn’t work in the slightest wind - so forget using it for hiking. The silver lining to that was that I had never really gotten over my GH VAS… so this gave me the justification to finally get that hopper.

At first I was thinking I’d go for one of the overseas shops because no way in hell I was gonna wait for a pre-order again, but then I found a SS GH on eBay from an authorized GHL reseller that included lifetime warranty, extra batt & free shipping for $250. Basically $60 more than the same woulda cost via another pre-order wait hell, and a good deal less than the overseas shops. Emailed the seller to make sure it was the most recent iteration with all the latest updates before I bought, and it was. Ordered it Friday at 4 pm, had a tracking number within the hour and it was in my hands by 9:00 this morning (monday).

Looks & feels awesome. A bit larger than expected. Oh cool - my serial num ends in 420!!! :tup:

And….. it works!!! :clap: Quick empty run at first, love the lights.

First load only 0.05g of fine grind on temp 3, fairly cloudy but I see right away that I won’t be using it without the silicone extender. The solution some have suggested to put lips past the cone, gets my throat way too close to the hot air/vapor. Third & last hit with silicone mp was much more comfy. Second bowl on 3.5 but I filled it too full, esp considering the fine grind, so not much clouds on first hit but plenty by the third. Keep forgetting to turn it off before end of hit - guess I’m done for now :ko:

Later: bowl #3 on temp 4.0, half loaded. Much more flavorful hits & bigger clouds than my first 2 bowls, starting to like this quite well. And now I just tried it with my MFLB glass MP attached to the silicone extender, as was suggested here awhile back, and it’s the cat’s meow :razz:

OK I’m fully on board with this thing now. Need to spend a bunch more time with it to get to know it, and I don't ever expect to reach the levels of yumminess of my UD or VapCap, but so far it’s a bit more flavorful and less harsh than expected. Extraction abilities are certainly right up there. Back end is staying cool... the only part that gets hot is the MP and the silicone thing solves that. Love the no stirring and minimal cleaning. Love that it’s self-contained and will be so easy to carry along on hikes, kayaking etc. Fun and a no-brainer to use. Stealthy in a james bond-esque sort of way.. even the silicone mp looks just like those rubber thingies on the end of ergonomic pens.

Also just realized I’ve finished bowl 3 and the battery is still going strong with no flashing - whaddaya know, it’s the little hopper battery that could! I don't intend to use the included USB charger - I know it’s supposed to be upgraded and probably fine now, but I have far more trust in my Nitecore D4.

Speaking of batts, ordered 2 more spares from GHL for a total of 4, plus extra silicone mp. Emailed Caroline on Friday when I ordered those to make sure of no delay on those, just got her response that they will be shipped tomorrow.

So far I really dig this little self-contained stealthy cloud machine. Fingers crossed that it keeps working.

May your hoppers keep hopping happily.

:peace:

Yup saw that auction this morning, seller had 9 left....was so tempted...

But don't think its for concentrates also

christohari

How sensitive is the Grasshopper to draw technique? I'm used to the E-Nano that I can just hit however I like and get instant vapor, but I got a Firewood 3 a little while ago and it's (relatively) finicky as hell. Since I haven't been able to get reliable vapor from the FW3, I've been considering a GH as a replacement, but if it's at all reliant on technique I'm worried it won't work for me. I'd heard it was a dead simple vape, but I've also seen a few comments on how you need to draw a certain way so I'd just like some clarification.

I suspect I'm just naturally sucky at draw regulation, I have various dexterity issues with my disabilities, so I really need something super easy.

Theres relatively little, if any, draw resistance. You can hit it as hard as you like and she can take it. You are correct, in hearing that it is a dead simple vape to use. The only issue id say is the heat as far as drawing goes. Depending on the temp youre using and where you put your lips, you might find your self cringing a sec.

btka

it is similar to the nano in my opinion...I am using both vapes most of tve time with a bubbler dry... so to say you do not need any special technique...

hippogriff

I'll pm you about FW3 technique, it presents a lot harder than it actually is to use. Hopper is faster and easier, you can ignore technique altogether, but both these convection vapes do better if you know what to expect from a convection vape. Namely, you're only heating the herb when you're drawing, so the first hit or two (or three w the FW3) will be light on vapor and best on flavor, because the herb needs to lose the last of its moisture, and the heater needs to come up to full speed (not much of an issue w hopper, but it's there, vs the FW3 which needs a minute). On both its better to start w a light draw till you feel a little heat, then pull harder (hard as you like w hopper, careful side of medium w FW3).

If you're liking you Enano, the FW3 vapor signature is more similar than the hopper (and the Milaana is even closer...).

hi_there

Well my charger has not worked since day one but I am using an external anyways but now my backend is getting hot. Just submitted a warranty request. When they send it back to you in Canada you don't have to pay any duty or anything on a replacement/repair correct?

hi_there,

sixstringsmash

Hey guys so my new grasshopper is AMAZING but I'm a little concerned about the charger. It seems to be charging the hopper just fine but the actual charger is getting pretty warm and is also making a small buzzing sound(the charger not the grasshopper) whenever it's being charged. Is this normal with the usb charger or should I contact Hopper Labs? I don't want my pretty new vaporizer blowing up while I'm charging it or anything.

sixstringsmash,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

I just got my Grasshopper today but in my limited experience I find the GH to be just as forgiving as the nano, which is my daily driver.

If anything I would say the nano is actually a little trickier just because I find I need to bump up the heat a tiny bit for a faster draw speed. The GH seems to almost prefer a faster draw speed. The only technique would be hitting it hard enough to avoid the auto shutoff timer.

The GH has a tiny bit more draw restriction, but is not very restricted at all compared to most portables.

Yup saw that auction this morning, seller had 9 left....was so tempted...

But don't think its for concentrates also

I just wrapped .05 grams of concentrate in organic cotton and put it in my hopper. I set the temp to 5. I got a bunch of cloudy hits, but it got a little harsh and nasty at the end. I think I'll try 4 next time for concentrates. Either way it definitely worked wonderfully, and the first couple hits were tasty.

Even at temp 5 the mouthpiece doesn't start to become uncomfortable to me until roughly 15 seconds into the draw which is usually right before I quit hitting it. I am putting my lips far up, pretty much on the body. I probably have higher tolerance to heat than others, so mileage my vary.

The repair paranoia is real! Halfway through the concentrate session my GH started rapidly flashing red when I turned it on. My heart sank and I went to the troubleshooting guide. It was a dead battery lol.

I'm surprised it lasted that long. I got 3 hits on temp 3, 11 hits on temp 4, and 3 hits on temp 5 before the battery died. 17 hits total, three and a half chambers. The first 3 hits on temp 3 I left the hopper running. I think that might actually be better for the battery life than heating up for each hit, but it just gets too hot for me to use it this way without the silicone tip.

What a great way to start out summer!

ElectropoK

I have read every post in this thread. I'm not having any problems with it, all the people with faulty backends I've seen didn't perform well and were so hot on the back as to burn someone, which isn't the case with mine. I'm wanting to know how people whose hoppers are running normally heat up on the backend after extended high temp use.

Hello,

I'm in the same boat as you.. My backend is becoming very hot while in use (while heating to be more precise). If I let my fingers laying around the backend, it could be very hot there ! But so far, no performance degradation, touching wood... :-D

Will wait till a full failure if it's occuring ;-)

HerbieVonVapster

Got my grasshopper yesterday. Currently reading this huge thread. So far only thing can add is concerning heat. If you happen to have a ascent vaporizer the inner glass stem fits right into the silicone mouthpiece. Can the either cut off the other end or use it the way it is.

Hawk

For those of you who start getting hot back-ends have you tries cleaning all the threads on the GH with ISO? Like mech mods in the e-cig world where the body is part of the circuit you need to keep the threads very clean. If they get dirty, oily or any debris it can cause resistance and connectivity issues that could result in the back-end getting hot.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
So I packed the chamber full last night, I could barely squeeze in .1 grams. I used an SLX grinder so a medium-fine but fluffy grind. I planned on temp stepping through a session. I started at 1 and I was surprised how hot it got, and how quickly. I bumped it straight up to 4 and started hitting it one hitter style.

I can confirm that for my stainless steel GH, it gets much more hot with a full chamber. This morning I loaded .04 grams which is my usual load so far and it was much better in regards to heat. I used temp 4, one hitter style, and didn't have any issues with heat.

I still haven't opened the silicone tip yet but I'm starting to think I might have to. In some cases it's not necessary, but with the chamber full it was almost unusable without the silicone tip.

The weird thing is I would shut it off near the end of my draw and the chamber would continue to get hotter, even after I stopped inhaling and was just holding it. Has anyone else noticed this?

The backend only got a little warm, even when the front was quite hot.

MoltenTiger

So I packed the chamber full last night, I could barely squeeze in .1 grams. I used an SLX grinder so a medium-fine but fluffy grind. I planned on temp stepping through a session. I started at 1 and I was surprised how hot it got, and how quickly. I bumped it straight up to 4 and started hitting it one hitter style.

I can confirm that for my stainless steel GH, it gets much more hot with a full chamber. This morning I loaded .04 grams which is my usual load so far and it was much better in regards to heat. I used temp 4, one hitter style, and didn't have any issues with heat.

I still haven't opened the silicone tip yet but I'm starting to think I might have to. In some cases it's not necessary, but with the chamber full it was almost unusable without the silicone tip.

The weird thing is I would shut it off near the end of my draw and the chamber would continue to get hotter, even after I stopped inhaling and was just holding it. Has anyone else noticed this?

The backend only got a little warm, even when the front was quite hot.
The heater only heats up to the temp required and has a huge surface area, so unless you increase inhale speed it tends to still produce vapour for a good few seconds.
The tube around it can get pretty hot for sure and is what is dissipating the heat from the heater, when mine was malfunctioning it could get really hot at the front end, enough to sting if touched near the air intake holes.

My hopper is in customs now, not much longer til I can put the EQ aside

Last edited:

HappyFunTime

I really liked the idea of HL's airtight tube for transporting a preloaded Hopper and since they are not making them I decided to build my own. Here is a brief guide.

Parts:
CiGuru CTT002 Cigar Travel Tube Humidor Airtight Stainless Steel - 1 unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GNB9TI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7EwAxbQZYR95S

4 Inch X 4 Inch Square Sponge Neoprene Sample Adhesive/Plain - 1/4 IN, 1/8 IN, 1/16 IN. Thick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KADUHGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JJwAxbE21NCTS

Tools:
pair of big scissors

Build:

Start by pressing the cigar tube opening into the 1/4 inch foam pad with adhesive firmly to mark its diameter. Then cut the circle out. Now trim the circle to be about half as big. Repeat.

Now peal off the backing and use the scissors to carefully hold the foam and stick it to the far end on the inside of both tubes.

Now take the 1/8 inch foam, with no adhesive, and carefully trim it to fit inside the larger tube. I cut it a bit too big and trimmed slowly until it was a good fit.

Now do the same with the non-adhesive 1/16 inch go for the smaller tube. Make sure and leave enough room for the tubes to fit together.

Insert your grasshopper and enjoy an airtight, water proof, and crush proof carrying case for your stealth vapping needs.

Fits the hopper with mouthpiece perfectly.

https://www.anony.ws/image/Jetk
https://www.anony.ws/image/Jetn
https://www.anony.ws/image/Jeta

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I really liked the idea of HL's airtight tube for transporting a preloaded Hopper and since they are not making them I decided to build my own. Here is a brief guide.

Parts:
CiGuru CTT002 Cigar Travel Tube Humidor Airtight Stainless Steel - 1 unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GNB9TI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7EwAxbQZYR95S

4 Inch X 4 Inch Square Sponge Neoprene Sample Adhesive/Plain - 1/4 IN, 1/8 IN, 1/16 IN. Thick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KADUHGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JJwAxbE21NCTS

Tools:
pair of big scissors

Build:

Start by pressing the cigar tube opening into the 1/4 inch foam pad with adhesive firmly to mark its diameter. Then cut the circle out. Now trim the circle to be about half as big. Repeat.

Now peal off the backing and use the scissors to carefully hold the foam and stick it to the far end on the inside of both tubes.

Now take the 1/8 inch foam, with no adhesive, and carefully trim it to fit inside the larger tube. I cut it a bit too big and trimmed slowly until it was a good fit.

Now do the same with the non-adhesive 1/16 inch go for the smaller tube. Make sure and leave enough room for the tubes to fit together.

Insert your grasshopper and enjoy an airtight, water proof, and crush proof carrying case for your stealth vapping needs.

Nicely done!

moondog,

Baron23

Parts:

Tools:
pair of big scissors

Build:

Thanks great job...but you lost me at the point of the 1/8" neoprene without adhesive. What's this for, to line the sides of the tube?

Baron23,

XeroRespect

This too shall PAX...
Thanks great job...but you lost me at the point of the 1/8" neoprene without adhesive. What's this for, to line the sides of the tube?

The link on Amazon for the neoprene has two sets. One has adhesive backing, and one set doesn't. I believe he used the sticky stuff for the top and bottom of the tube so it doesn't fall out, and then the non-sticky for the sides.

Mr Mellish

Was finally able to pick up my SS and Ti today. I am in no position to try it but the friend who received the package did.

She's a part-time smoker and it made her cough (I think it was the Ti). She said the tip also got very hot and quickly.

She took 4-5 draws, said the taste was great and the effects were good. The ABV was still pretty greenish when I dumped it out to leave. My concern is that the smell of flower was very obvious. Obvious enough that I assumed she had combusted until I dumped the ABV. I guess I'll have to do initial trials outside.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The heater only heats up to the temp required and has a huge surface area, so unless you increase inhale speed it tends to still produce vapour for a good few seconds.
The tube around it can get pretty hot for sure and is what is dissipating the heat from the heater, when mine was malfunctioning it could get really hot at the front end, enough to sting if touched near the air intake holes.

My hopper is in customs now, not much longer til I can put the EQ aside
It only happened to me with a fully packed chamber. I don't plan on packing fully very often but I wanted to test it out on my new toy.

With a fully packed chamber, the area around the chamber outside of the Grasshopper continued to get hot well after I turned it off.

I turned off mid draw and drew faster after that to cool it down. I then held it tightly in my hand to reduce heat and act as a heatsink. This is my usual technique of taking a hit.

As I held it in my hand, it continued to get hot. This happened with every hit. I think what happened is the load of herbs got up to temp (374°F) and then the herbs themselves were gradually warming up the stainless steel.

It's not a big deal or even a problem necessarily, I just found it interesting from a thermodynamics point of view.

MoltenTiger

It only happened to me with a fully packed chamber. I don't plan on packing fully very often but I wanted to test it out on my new toy.

With a fully packed chamber, the area around the chamber outside of the Grasshopper continued to get hot well after I turned it off.

I turned off mid draw and drew faster after that to cool it down. I then held it tightly in my hand to reduce heat and act as a heatsink. This is my usual technique of taking a hit.

As I held it in my hand, it continued to get hot. This happened with every hit. I think what happened is the load of herbs got up to temp (374°F) and then the herbs themselves were gradually warming up the stainless steel.

It's not a big deal or even a problem necessarily, I just found it interesting from a thermodynamics point of view.
A fully packed chamber has more thermal mass, and provides better heat conductivity to the chamber walls, heating the insulation and metal and user, but even whith an empty chamber the GH body heats up, just not as rapidly or by as much (maybe, never used it nearly as much like this).
The white polymer insulation most likely has a very high R-value, so maybe that could cause a delayed external temp.
I haven't personally noticed much difference, but I would generally use smaller amounts to have fresh hits more often when using directly, I think this is the nicer way to go about it flavour wise, so it's a bonus if it's better heat wise too

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
...I would generally use smaller amounts to have fresh hits more often when using directly, I think this is the nicer way to go about it flavour wise, so it's a bonus if it's better heat wise too
Yeah, I definitely prefer fresh more often which is part of the reason the Grasshopper appealed to me. So it's great that it excels at that mode of operation.

I like to experiment, but I tend to have a "sweet spot" with vapes that I stick to 90% of the time. It looks like my sweet spot for the GH is .04 grams at temp 4.

Tonight I will test it with water, and I plan on testing concentrates again too, this time at temp 4 instead of 5.

jabba

My SS GH purchased new from Ebay is still performing perfectly, and I received my 'backup' SS GH from VapoShop today...perfect. I'm still awaiting my pre-order Ti from Hopper, however, I no longer am anxious about the order and can be patient. I hope that I do not have to use and register my new backup SS GH device...but it is there in the closet waiting if necessary. I'd prefer to sell or give this new SS to a friend and thus have one SS and one Ti...but only the Hopper Gods know whether my first one will fail necessitating me to register and use the backup. I am obviously uber pleased with the GH...and I'm uber pleased that many others have received their GH's and are enjoying its virtues.

Edit: on my new SS...the lights quickly flash red when you connect the back end. My original SS does not do that at all. I've heard some others comment that theirs does this quick flash when installing a new batt and placing the back end...but until now I hadn't seen this phenomena.

Edit Edit: Ha! My two SS GH's have serial number which are 73 units different between the two. One came from a retail backer via Ebay and one came from Amsterdam via VapeShop. My first one has been perfect...hopefully this batch and my new one created 73 units later will be equally perfect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom