Discontinued The Grasshopper

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Hi All, recently I’ve noticed my GH is getting weaker. The ABV is golden color and even on temp 5 I cannot reach the good extraction. Any solution for such issue?

A wise man once told me of the GH: "If function starts to suffer, blu-tac the threads of the backend to help remove oxidation that will impact performance"
worked for me :>)

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Could be threads, yes, but another likely culprit is batteries you use, if they are getting old or have been through a lot of charge cycles.
Would it be better to use it with charger pass thru? Would that give it more power or less?
Trying to learn a little about the Beast's idiosyncrasy.

tennisguru1,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Would it be better to use it with charger pass thru? Would that give it more power or less?
I’m not an electrical engineer however the charge is only as good as the battery. If using the mag charger and turning the unit on, it should work. The question rather is whether the battery will charge differently if using the mag charger or in an external one, but the battery has a capacity which degrades over time. Due to other forces, e.g. temp, pressure, physical damage, it may not hold the same charge or conduct the same amperage (I think).

Coincidentally, I used the mag charger in my car yesterday and used my unit connected to it for a change. Can’t recall the last time I did that but since my Hopper’s been back from RMA, I’m keeping my old batts as charged as possible - so I can friggin enjoy my Hopper again. Which I do! ;) :peace:

EDIT: also, there may be a difference using the mag charger with a USB wall outlet versus a car cig lighter or computer supplying the power. Again, this is not my domain and I’m sure the experts herein can opine.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't think hopper will run at all when charger is attached, at least this is how mine have been.

Edit,
based on @Vaporific 's post above, I stand corrected, seems some will power up and some won't? I can't currently (no pun intended!) check my newest iteration hopper since it won't go to blue at all with the older batts I have. I did assume it would not and have had no occasion to try it.

I still don't think there is any pass thru charging going on, even when it will power up while plugged in.

Last edited:

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I don't think hopper will run at all when charger is attached, at least this is how mine have been.

Edit,
based on @Vaporific 's post above, I stand corrected, seems some will power up and some won't? I can't currently (no pun intended!) check my newest iteration hopper since it won't go to blue at all with the older batts I have. I did assume it would not and have had no occasion to try it.

I still don't think there is any pass thru charging going on, even when it will power up while plugged in.

I just took mine down to the flashing low battery blue light.
Plugged in mag charger & got a great bong rip on 5.
Couldn't get 2nd hit, went flashing red

Last edited:

david8613

Out of all the funnels available for the GRASSHOPPER, which is the better one, I was funnel shopping last night! Lol. Still looking for a nice case but in leather.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I just took mine down to the flashing low battery blue light.
Plugged in mag charger & got a great bong rip on 5.
Couldn't get 2nd hit, went flashing red
Okay, I was mistaken. Here, from HL faq page,

Can I use the Grasshopper while it is charging?
Yes, the magnetic charging ring allows use while charging.

Out of all the funnels available for the GRASSHOPPER, which is the better one, I was funnel shopping last night! Lol. Still looking for a nice case but in leather.
I don't know about 'best' but I have 2 of @Ratchett and they are great. Mine are the mini, I believe. I use his stand, the funnel and an infant spoon, then coax the material down with a toothpick or poker, with no tamping.

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
AF1QipNkzCwm_PQs2qHsJN6BhjyfP7vJUv3ffnWgzIYR

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOKcEPDTIu6wu7xRxz-NQI3xrJcfavK3be0I8V5

Glass adapters I use for cooling mouthpieces also

Vaporific

I trust the @Ratchett funnel made for the gh. Too bad he’s out of stock on his leather cases...
I trust and use like 98% of the time the Ratchett leather case. It’s wonderful, supple, functional and has really held up! For a funnel I just use my hand - one less thing to lose and clean. I grind flower and funnel them into vials which pour easily into a Hopper. No need for me to carry anything else around except for the leather case which holds a few batts, vial or doob tube, small brush and tool. I keep it simple. :peace:

Baron23

The one I linked to you two pages back IS leather.

Best funnel? Really? The Delta 3D fits the GH oven opening on one end and it opens up into....well, a funnel in the other.

Not sure what else you could want out of a small funnel

Last edited:

Terpenetime

I trust the @Ratchett funnel made for the gh. Too bad he’s out of stock on his leather cases...

I recently asked @Ratchett about his leather Hopper cases and received this interesting reply, which I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing...

“These leather cases were made by an Amish friend in his barn using traditional leathercrafting techniques (hundreds of years old, no electricity used). Unfortunately I have relocated my business across the country which has made communication extremely difficult (the man has no telephone and the only method of payment is via cash money. His farm is also several hours from my family home. The logistics of restocking cases has made things nearly impossible at this time to continue restocking.

For now all leather products have been discontinued until I can find another quality leathercrafter to produce my designs.”

I have a couple of his stands and a funnel on their way to me now, which I’m very much looking forward to receiving. I have to say that he was super easy to deal with and very generous with his time so I’d definitely recommend Delta 3D Studios.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The one I linked to you two pages back IS leather.

Best funnel? Really? The Delta 3D fits the GH oven opening on one end and it opens up into....well, a funnel in the other.

Not sure what else you could want out of a small funnel
Maybe you gave us the wrong link 2 pages back?
It says, "EVA Hard Shell Stylus Pen Pencil Case Holder" and I don't think that means leather.

Though the funnel question was not from me, and while I love the delta3d mini funnel, I could envision something marginally better (maybe smoother surfaces with no striations/ridges from the printing process, for example) and so I can see there is room for another answer, it's not as cut and dried as, "It functions, so what else do you want?" I don't know if a better one exists at this time but it certainly 'could'.

Last edited:

fogbank

I bought one of the loaders and did liked the clever design and 3-d printed aspect. When all was good, it was nice and handy, no muss/no fuss and all that. But I found that it eventually required somewhat more cleaning than the brush would take care of. They suggest you clean it every couple of fillings. It can become problematic if not clear & clean, and I did not have quite enough patience for it, I guess. By problematic, I mean your weed winding up spilling or maybe hopper getting-over stuffed and that being cause of a jam. After several cycles of like/frustration with it, I was relieved when it broke and I was able to let it go easily.

I bought the "Day and Night" version of the Hopper loader. I had a similar experience. Eventually the piston got stuck, even though I tried to clean it regularly.

I was also relieved when mine broke, and I have no plans to replace it.

For those looking for a leather sleeve check out the Aston leather pen holder sleeves:

https://www.amazon.com/Aston-Leather-Single-Holder-Sleeve/dp/B0038I25IQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=DNMTPR0VA2CF&keywords=aston+leather+pen+sleeve&qid=1574727159&sprefix=Aston+leather+,aps,535&sr=8-1

The Hopper fits perfectly inside, with nothing protruding. I have tan sleeves for my Ti Hoppers and black sleeves for my SS Hoppers.

I guess that the downside to these sleeves is that they only hold the Hopper and nothing else.

Vaporific

I bought the "Day and Night" version of the Hopper loader. I had a similar experience. Eventually the piston got stuck, even though I tried to clean it regularly.

I was also relieved when mine broke, and I have no plans to replace it.

For those looking for a leather sleeve check out the Aston leather pen holder sleeves:

https://www.amazon.com/Aston-Leather-Single-Holder-Sleeve/dp/B0038I25IQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=DNMTPR0VA2CF&keywords=aston+leather+pen+sleeve&qid=1574727159&sprefix=Aston+leather+,aps,535&sr=8-1

The Hopper fits perfectly inside, with nothing protruding. I have tan sleeves for my Ti Hoppers and black sleeves for my SS Hoppers.

I guess that the downside to these sleeves is that they only hold the Hopper and nothing else.
There’s a fine line between sleeves and cases :) Thanks for the link on those Ashton’s - those are really nice! They’re definitely a bit larger than the HL sleeve (I have one which I love and had the first gen of it yet no longer have). I however mostly store my Hopper in @Ratchett ’s leather case which, again, is simply outstanding and the best investment I made in my Hopper.

For now all leather products have been discontinued until I can find another quality leathercrafter to produce my designs.”
Thanks for the info. As above I do hope he finds another option. I love my leather case (and Hopper again too)...:peace:

Baron23

Maybe you gave us the wrong link 2 pages back?
It says, "EVA Hard Shell Stylus Pen Pencil Case Holder" and I don't think that means leather.

Wow, I fucked up again.....happens with some regularity.

So, I went back and looked at the Amazon listing and yep...that's what it says it is.

I went down stair and looked at it closely and its not leather outer surface....but it feels like it.

Anyway, great case for GH for $8.

As far as the funnel.....its a frakin funnel. Yes, Delta 3D funnel can be made in a more smooth material, but I have not found the striations from it being a printed object to have any impact on performance.

The term diminishing returns occurs to me when thinking about improving a small plastic funnel for loading weed into your GH.

And yes, call me critical and arrogant....I am both....but WTF, at the end of the day it is a funnel and in this case needs two main characteristics....it needs to fit the GH on one end and be frakin funnel on the other.

I'm sorry (well, not really), but don't you sometimes lose it at these endless "what's the best" posts.

We get them all the time about this or that corner of the vape market....but now about a little funnel to load weed into a GH...really?

I guess I just lost it a bit and should probably apologize.....maybe. haha

Take care.

Last edited:

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Wow, I fucked up again.....happens with some regularity.

So, I went back and looked at the Amazon listing and yep...that's what it says it is.

I went down stair and looked at it closely and its not leather outer surface....but it feels like it.

Anyway, great case for GH for $8.

As far as the funnel.....its a frakin funnel. Yes, Delta 3D funnel can be made in a more smooth material, but I have not found the striations from it being a printed object to have any impact on performance.

The term diminishing returns occurs to me when thinking about improving a small plastic funnel for loading weed into your GH.

And yes, call me critical and arrogant....I am both....but WTF, at the end of the day it is a funnel and in this case needs two main characteristics....it needs to fit the GH on one end and be frakin funnel on the other.

I'm sorry (well, not really), but don't you lose at these endless "what's the best" posts.

We get them all the time about this or that corner of the vape market....but now about a little funnel to load weed into a GH...really?

I guess I just lost it a bit and should probably apologize.....maybe. haha

Take care.

Loving it! LOL!! :>)
I got mine in a Las Vegas thrift shop downtown for 50 cents & I love it.

tennisguru1,

david8613

Baron23 if i look at the description of the funnels there are different kinds of funnel its not just a freakin funnel, standard size, mini size to fill just the hopper, and standard size 2 in1 and mini 2 in 1. The 2 in 1 are for filling doob tubes and the grasshopper. I think I might go with mini 2 in 1. Hope that helps.

MoltenTiger

smoother surfaces with no striations/ridges from the printing process, for example
I seem to recall someone telling how their hip flask funnel was a perfect fit. Not the easiest thing to find, but that would be a decent option. Especially for cleaning and longevity. 3D printed PLA is for prototyping IMO, though it can be annealed for a smoother finish with added strength and temp resistance which would make cleaning viable with boiling water. The feeder would also benefit from a better material for several reasons, again for cleanliness, preventing contamination, durability, rigidity and a smoother function.

Anyway, I don't bother with a funnel, a couple of times I've thought it would be handy to have, especially when attempting to use a scoop to fill, but it's pretty easy and quick to refill a hopper just by hand

Last edited:

Vaporific

I seem to recall someone telling how their hip flask funnel was a perfect fit. Not the easiest thing to find, but that would be a decent option. Especially for cleaning and longevity. 3D printed PLA is for prototyping IMO. The feeder would also benefit from a better material for several reasons, again for cleanliness, preventing contamination, durability, rigidity and smoother function.

Anyway, I don't bother with a funnel, a couple of times I've thought it would be handy to have, especially when attempting to use a scoop to fill, but it's pretty easy and quick to refill a hopper just by hand
I use metal funnels to fill vials to store herb - and grind not too often - not to fill my Hopper but by hand too. I’d likely use or crush a plastic funnel in a pocket, or at worst lose it if it were used often. Just me. I do recall several funnels on Delta3DStudio’s site. Smooth is better.

One of my 3 older batts has 2 draws left on it; the others perhaps 3 loads each. It maybe time to rescue the new ones from kitty litter. :peace:

Baron23

Baron23 if i look at the description of the funnels there are different kinds of funnel its not just a freakin funnel, standard size, mini size to fill just the hopper, and standard size 2 in1 and mini 2 in 1. The 2 in 1 are for filling doob tubes and the grasshopper. I think I might go with mini 2 in 1. Hope that helps.
Actually, if you go to his site the products are listed by vape type.

Under the GH section, you will find the often recommended funnel.

It is made to exactly fit the end of the GH so it’s nit really generic.

And yes, apologies. I am an ass at times.

JeffD

Fire? Karma's a bitch. I guess my unit that's been in warranty since 2017 was destroyed...good thing I moved on to dynavap over a year ago... never looking back or being more happy... after reporting hopper vapes to the BBB. Found out they already had an F rating without my help. Yep... karma's a bitch. Even failed at burning their own building down.... Goodbye hopper vapes..RIP... you will not be missed.
End rant

Thanks for the dynavap tip- I'd never heard of them, and ordered one.

MoltenTiger

Actually, if you go to his site the products are listed by vape type.

Under the GH section, you will find the often recommended funnel.

It is made to exactly fit the end of the GH so it’s nit really generic.

And yes, apologies. I am an ass at times.
There's definitely a number of funnels on the GH Accessories page from Delta 3D - flexible general multi-fit, GH only (normal and mini size), 2in1 GH+doobtube (normal and mini)

(there's also the MFLB Finishing grinder funnel which could be printed to fit the GH upon request, and really the customisation is endless depending on what you want to do)

yeah yeah, I'm pedantic, but consider this a plug.

1 vape, many options that are reasonably self explanatory, but the differences could be best explained by someone who has handled multiple versions, which I suspect was what @david8613 was after.

I'd probably go for the flexible or the mini, for durability/pocket-ability. If I used a doob tube, then the 2in1 makes sense. The V1 full size options seem to be the lesser choice - I think @Ratchett made the mini after comments from people using the full size version which pre-dates the other options AFAIK. Seems the OD is about the same on the flare end between the sizes, and the GH end is shorter and stronger. The full size is needlessly big, that volume looks like it could handle many chambers worth of ground herb.

IMG_7460__73887.1467817000.1280.1280.JPG

I'm sure @david8613 was just after some user confirmation that the item is good, to which of course it is, it's a Delta 3D accessory. You can't really go wrong, but I don't know, I've never tried.

I will note, the plain undyed PLA is the better choice for this task
But do note that printed PLA has a massive surface area and will become caked in kief, harvest bacteria and is a pain to clean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom