Discontinued The Grasshopper

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
While it may be very irritating to owners to have to wait for return of their RMA until this "retooling" of the production/test line is complete, my view is that this action is long overdue.

There have been far too many RMA returns quickly fail yet again.

Disclosure - my Ti is still going strong and I love to use it.
If this is actually what's happening then it's great. But with HL's track record when it comes to truth and what actually happens opposed to what they say will happen, I'm not totally convinced.

I really hope for the best though, vaping as a whole wouldn't be the same for me without the Grasshopper. To me it's BY FAR the best mix of convenience and quality of vapor that exists and the form factor couldn't be cooler.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I got an email out of the blue that HL would be sending me a leather case. That would be the free case they promised folks a long time ago. This would be for the hopper that I was given. I had contacted HL and spent the $45 for a change of owner as soon as I recieved it. Eventually I lost that unit. Then bought a new one.

Still hopping along with no problems. When this unit works right it‘s awesome.
This is great news! It's something positive in an otherwise uncertain time.

samfordhall

My Titanium Hopper has been in for warranty repair since arriving at HL on Nov 3. My Stainless Hopper has been in for warranty repair since arriving at HL on Dec 23. Getting same response to my inquiries...implementing new and improved processes, will replace all electronics as part of new process, don’t know exactly when able to complete repairs and return, can only tell me what “they” are telling her (Caroline). Caroline has been responsive and helpful through my previous warranty repairs.

This is my 6th time in for warranty repair on my Titanium and 1st on my Stainless. However, I just bought the Stainless in Oct to keep me in business while the Ti is in for service. Oh well, they are both in for service now! Good thing I have my Firefly2, DaVinci IQ and Volcano to keep me vaping.

Happy New Year!

Poostuff

Please delete
I’ve been using mine with the temp set on about halfway. It seemed to stop the flashing blue lights that I was getting & was hotter than running it on setting 5 :hmm:
I dunno, it’s dead again now anyway.
This is probably a dumb question but is there a fix for the red & blue flashing lights.
I’ve only lightly used this one & it started flashing cop lights on Christmas Day but then fired back up Boxing Day after a cleaning like some sort of sick Christmas miracle.
That only lasted a day & now it’s back to the red & blue.
I’ve cleaned it & swapped the batteries but I don’t know if there’s any point trying something else or just send it back again.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I’ve been using mine with the temp set on about halfway. It seemed to stop the flashing blue lights that I was getting & was hotter than running it on setting 5 :hmm:
I dunno, it’s dead again now anyway.
This is probably a dumb question but is there a fix for the red & blue flashing lights.
I’ve only lightly used this one & it started flashing cop lights on Christmas Day but then fired back up Boxing Day after a cleaning like some sort of sick Christmas miracle.
That only lasted a day & now it’s back to the red & blue.
I’ve cleaned it & swapped the batteries but I don’t know if there’s any point trying something else or just send it back again.
Try twisting the dial back and forth kind of fast.

JoeMama

Happy New Year everyone!

My Ti is crashing, not delivering on heat like it used to...

IS there a problem with GHL's warranty process on their website? I get a "OOPS" page returned from sending the request.

Thanks

My Titanium Hopper has been in for warranty repair since arriving at HL on Nov 3. My Stainless Hopper has been in for warranty repair since arriving at HL on Dec 23. Getting same response to my inquiries...implementing new and improved processes, will replace all electronics as part of new process, don’t know exactly when able to complete repairs and return, can only tell me what “they” are telling her (Caroline). Caroline has been responsive and helpful through my previous warranty repairs.

This is my 6th time in for warranty repair on my Titanium and 1st on my Stainless. However, I just bought the Stainless in Oct to keep me in business while the Ti is in for service. Oh well, they are both in for service now! Good thing I have my Firefly2, DaVinci IQ and Volcano to keep me vaping.

Happy New Year!

Holy shit, Sam... That is both a long time and too many times. And I'm in a similar boat. In 18 months with two Ti's I've sent them in about 8 times all together. Up til I read your post, I hadn't had any issue with them being fast enough (less than 2 weeks).

I REALLY hoped they would have had their shit together by now. How disafuckinpointing.

junny89

Hi everyone.
I'm new new in to vaporizers and seen this pop up a lot. I have quite a few but this looks so sleek. So if thought I'd ask everyone what they think of it?
It's quite exp in the UK so is it worth it ?

johnnyCanuck

Hi everyone.
I'm new new in to vaporizers and seen this pop up a lot. I have quite a few but this looks so sleek. So if thought I'd ask everyone what they think of it?
It's quite exp in the UK so is it worth it ?
I’ve had mine for approx 1.5 years before dying on me. Now it’s in RMA limbo. But if I had to do it all over again, I would’ve jumped in with two feet and purchased 2 or 3 of them when they first came out.

Despite the frustrating wait after sales opened up and discouraging posts of failures/hot mouthpiece/battery life, etc I can’t find a more discreet/INCREDIBLY FAST HEAT UP TIME/nice tasting/convenient to use vape out there!!!

I absolutely love it. So yes, if you can find a UK reseller that will deal with warranty instead of you sending it Hopper Labs directly... IT IS WORTH IT

junny89

I’ve had mine for approx 1.5 years before dying on me. Now it’s in RMA limbo. But if I had to do it all over again, I would’ve jumped in with two feet and purchased 2 or 3 of them when they first came out.

Despite the frustrating wait after sales opened up and discouraging posts of failures/hot mouthpiece/battery life, etc I can’t find a more discreet/INCREDIBLY FAST HEAT UP TIME/nice tasting/convenient to use vape out there!!!

I absolutely love it. So yes, if you can find a UK reseller that will deal with warranty instead of you sending it Hopper Labs directly... IT IS WORTH IT

It is very expensive here, almost £300 and yes I have heard issues with the overheating mouthpiece and poor battery life.
Have any of these been addressed?
Thanks for the reply!

junny89,

buckhakeesah

Sad to share that im experiencing the cop lights and straight to blue symptoms although by fiddling around with the temp dial I somehow manage to get it to eventually work with somewhat satisfactory results. I am amazed by the consistent even ABV I get out of this thing. Mine lasted a year before acting up. Kinda dont want to deal with RMA.

johnnyCanuck

It is very expensive here, almost £300 and yes I have heard issues with the overheating mouthpiece and poor battery life.
Thanks for the reply!
I don’t think those two issues will ever go away. I rotate between 4 batteries so I don’t have any prob with battery life because it’s fast and easy to swap out.

I’ll repeat... despite all the negatives, I’d buy it again if I had to do it over again. You just can’t get that fast heat up time with a click of a button.

junny89

I don’t think those two issues will ever go away. I rotate between 4 batteries so I don’t have any prob with battery life because it’s fast and easy to swap out.

I’ll repeat... despite all the negatives, I’d buy it again if I had to do it over again. You just can’t get that fast heat up time with a click of a button.

Of course I'd end up buying more batteries too.
So that's not of concern to me but the hot mouth piece ?
And don't forget it is like $400 in the UK.
So will have a think about it and see.

Is there a new one out or coming out soon?

junny89,

johnnyCanuck

I don’t think Hopper Labs includes the “mouth condom” anymore but you can probably quickly cover the mouth piece with the DynaVap Fat Mouthpiece ($1USD) as an example and that will protect your mouth from the heat.

They still only have the one unit but apparently it gets “tweaked” all the time. So your GH, if sent for warranty, should come back with the latest iteration. Like I said though, buy from a local reseller that deals with warranty for you. Otherwise it gets more expensive sending the thing overseas all the time.

junny89

I don’t think Hopper Labs includes the “mouth condom” anymore but you can probably quickly cover the mouth piece with the DynaVap Fat Mouthpiece ($1USD) as an example and that will protect your mouth from the heat.

That's settled then !
Just need to know if a new one is on the horizon before I splash the cash!

Hate buying something and shortly after a new version is out!

junny89,
Reactions: Hjalmark

MoltenTiger

That's settled then !
Just need to know if a new one is on the horizon before I splash the cash!

Hate buying something and shortly after a new version is out!
There isn't going to be a Grasshopper 2, at least for quite a while. It was never the intention, it's supposed to be a final product, and whilst it's taken a bit they're getting closer to a robust iteration.

I think it's worth expecting a few issues with the new processes they're introducing, that's generally happened before. But hopefully it'll be smoother this time round. Time will tell.

From what I can tell, the newer units are pretty decent. A brand new unit will have all the latest hardware (sensors, PCB size, heater, back-end) and should work best. A warrantied unit will have older parts mixed with newer parts, for example mine has the older back-end with latest front end. I suspect they have seen occasional compatibility issues, and that could cause a lot of the repeat RMAs. Alternatively it seems lots of the older components were prone to failure, and so it's a matter of time until that component will require replacement, and it probably happens sequentially and not all at once.

Before we see a new model from HL, they'll have to deliver on their current accessories, the metal/leather cases and battery charger, before introducing the oils front-end and apparently a mains power adapter.

Apparently they've brought the laser sintering in house to make their own heaters, which seems a rumour at this point, I don't think they've officially announced anything beyond an expected longer wait and a processes change, but it would be a smart choice.
If that's the case I think the chance of a desktop model could be a strong potential, but from what I've seen I wouldn't expect a new portable from them until the GH is tired, and so far it's not even at its prime.

There's definitely still an element of luck in getting a long-lasting functional device, but it does seem like less luck is needed these days. So good luck!
A bit of patience goes a long way in making the experience worthwhile.

I was also going to mention before I got carried away, the PFE with glass dome has been a favourite way me and my friends use the GH dry. Heat is mainly a problem with the big hits, but a bit of glass or wood to extend the vapour path makes a huge difference.

snaffle

That's settled then !

@junny89, I'd recommend you get it from vapefiend in the UK, as they handle warranties in-house, so you won't have to deal with the extra expense and delays of posting it off to the USA if you do need warranty repairs (and at some point chances are you will). They are listing the Stainless Steel GH for 199 GBP at the moment.

Best of luck!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Thanks for the reply!

GrassHopper £199 - Vapefiend

GrassHopper Spare Parts - Vapefiend

I recommend spare batteries (get 4) and the performance front end.

Currently Vapefiend is out of spare hopper batteries so you may be better off getting the PFE and batteries direct from HL's.

I also recommend that you get a backup Vape just in case you get unlucky, my recommendation would be the DynaVap-M.

ktmstick

I'm from the uk and have another recommendation for vapefiend.co.uk. They have both ss and ti in stock, free delivery next day and warranty is covered by them if they have spare parts if not Caroline sends out a replacement part direct to you. I have both ss and ti, ss has had a new body (sent to me from USA) with the white internals and the ti is still original.

ominosity

i have two SS hoooers and they are currently both dead. Just been told by HL that vapefiend have no stock of parts for SS hoppers. Confirmed this with Vapefiend. So I have to either wait for new stock to arrive or send to the USA. Both options are going to be a few weeks so I’ll wait for stock to arrive at Vapefiend. I don’t have a backup vape at the moment so I ordered a Milaana from Vapefiend. Hoping this will give me similar performance and greater reliability. Any hopper heads with a Milaana care to offer advice?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
i have two SS hoooers and they are currently both dead. Just been told by HL that vapefiend have no stock of parts for SS hoppers. Confirmed this with Vapefiend. So I have to either wait for new stock to arrive or send to the USA. Both options are going to be a few weeks so I’ll wait for stock to arrive at Vapefiend. I don’t have a backup vape at the moment so I ordered a Milaana from Vapefiend. Hoping this will give me similar performance and greater reliability. Any hopper heads with a Milaana care to offer advice?
HL are apparently making changes to their manufacturing process in order to reduce failure rate. In the meantime, it seems they are not making nor shipping any Hoppers, new or repaired. This has been the case for some weeks now, which makes me think a big backllog is developing and it could take a long time for them to catch up.
If anyone has news contrary to this, please let us all know!

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I am amazed they haven't gone bankrupt.
You and me both. Extremely happy they haven't though. I remember way back when they were delaying pre-orders monthly for like 2 years I didn't think they'd even last this long but here they are.

Hoping this will give me similar performance and greater reliability. Any hopper heads with a Milaana care to offer advice?
Good move. Milaana has been by far my most reliable portable ever. It may take you some time to figure out how to get the most out of it but once you do I guarantee you'll love it. Requires a little more thinking while using than the hopper or some other non manual vapes but I think it's worth it. Flavor absolutely DESTROYS the Grasshopper even with the hopper on lvl 1.5-2.

My technique is preheat for 2 or 3 seconds on the first rip then start slow and ramp my draw speed up as you feel the heat increasing on your throat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom