Discontinued The Grasshopper

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I don't think the SS case is possible.. too much of a safety hazard. What if the battery had to vent? ..wouldn't a sealed metal enclosure be too danger bay??

Also, it would have to be well insulated(making it pretty big) so it doesn't have any interior conduction issues between the unit and the case. Metal on metal = no good

The SS case HAS vent holes. So ventilation seems not to be an issue.
They just need a well fitting foam inlay. AFAIR there was the prob? :hmm:

When I originally ordered the SS case for me it was more about supporting HL's (back, way, way back). Eventually though I felt the case was not worth getting worked up over so I cancelled it and got a spare plain Ti mouthpiece to use natively on the WT instead.

There are plenty of 3rd party cases out there and HL know that and I think that's why they aren't bothering with the SS or leather sleeves. Really they need to offer customers invested in either of those items store credit or money back. I don't think anyone would care as long as they don't feel like they are being ripped off.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
But their SS cases are so nice! Much more than any 3rd party case I've seen. And I found a lot of them!
As leather sleeve you can take what you want, all are looking pretty similar.

Hogni,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
But their SS cases are so nice! Much more than any 3rd party case I've seen. And I found a lot of them!
As leather sleeve you can take what you want, all are looking pretty similar.

I don't think they look all that to be honest, I have cigar cases that look just as good.

Functionally I've found I prefer a soft lanyard based case that I can just use when out and about. Having had a Hopper slip out my pocket never to be seen again I feel a lanyard offers better security and easier access.

If I'm on a longer trip I'll use a glasses case sized ecig case which can fit the Hopper, spare batts, funnel, cleaning tools/liquids and charger.

I actually see no real use for the SS case, if I'm out with a coat/jacket then a soft case can be put in a pocket, if I don't have a coat/jacket then I don't want to have to shove that thing in my pants pocket. That's when the lanyard option comes in handy.

JoeMama

I don't think that's the case. You would have to remove all the guts of the hopper to heat treat the body if it was being refurbished. It would be more timely and costly for them to do that then to just start with a fresh body.

"All the guts" consist of a heater module (including the circuit board against which the battery rests), and the metal shank which protrudes from the body's front portion. I don't believe that the "assembled" body would take more than a matter of minutes to disassemble with the proper special tools they have created to make the product in the first place.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I was lucky enough to get a leather sleeve last June. I'm probably in the minority on this but it is by far my preferred way to store my Grasshopper.

I got those leather sleeves from Amazon and they are too big for my tastes, and just a bit too snug. I find it awkward putting my hopper in and taking it out. And the quality feels a little on the cheap side to me. The HL sleeve is smaller and fits in my pocket better, is easier to use, and a little higher quality leather.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the sleeve that I preordered when my Ti was delivered in September. Hopper Labs didn't include a note or any acknowledgement at all. I've been waiting for it to come back in stock to contact them, but if it doesn't happen soon I will just ask for a credit towards batteries.

I somehow lost my HL sleeve several months ago, so I'm getting antsy waiting for it to come back in stock. I'll buy an extra one to go with the one I preordered 18 months ago.

In my opinion it must be a cash flow issue because there's no reason it should take 8 or more months to get some simple leather sleeves produced.

I was lucky enough to get a leather sleeve last June. I'm probably in the minority on this but it is by far my preferred way to store my Grasshopper.

I got those leather sleeves from Amazon and they are too big for my tastes, and just a bit too snug. I find it awkward putting my hopper in and taking it out. And the quality feels a little on the cheap side to me. The HL sleeve is smaller and fits in my pocket better, is easier to use, and a little higher quality leather.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the sleeve that I preordered when my Ti was delivered in September. Hopper Labs didn't include a note or any acknowledgement at all. I've been waiting for it to come back in stock to contact them, but if it doesn't happen soon I will just ask for a credit towards batteries.

I somehow lost my HL sleeve several months ago, so I'm getting antsy waiting for it to come back in stock. I'll buy an extra one to go with the one I preordered 18 months ago.

In my opinion it must be a cash flow issue because there's no reason it should take 8 or more months to get some simple leather sleeves produced.
I really want that leather sleeve. Which ones on Amazon have you tried? I thought about buying one off there to hold me over but I don't want to get a piece of junk either.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

biohacker

"All the guts" consist of a heater module (including the circuit board against which the battery rests), and the metal shank which protrudes from the body's front portion. I don't believe that the "assembled" body would take more than a matter of minutes to disassemble with the proper special tools they have created to make the product in the first place.

Thanks for taking the time bro. Thread burnout.

MoltenTiger

@biohacker

Like i said in my post, you wouldn't be able to heat treat a GH with the guts in it. Otherwise, errbuddy would be doing it themselves right meow.. why would anyone pay GH to do it for them.

GH is gonna pay someone X amount of $ an hr to meticulously take apart the body without scratching/damaging it any further than it already has been by a previous owner? I'm assuming a Ti body from their manufacturer is not that costly..

Fact?? ..don't think so der budd.. got a source on these facts of yours??
Ti is easily reconditioned, it would make a lot of sense to recycle returned bodies, and if heat treating was the way they figured out how to do it, good on them.
As long as the units work right?

My concern is they've stepped back the power output, or .
Who knows though, I need to RMA my blue unit. I want it back already haha, and I'm hoping it will work like it used to. I haven't gotten black AVB for too long...

And, now it seems like the ideal time to post it away, especially with that latest WPA listing. And with those prices I definitely don't want to pay postage on top, fuck that.
What's the bet the SS is 30 and the Ti's are 35 like they sneak an extra bit on with the ordinary MP.

Kind of bumps the price of the whole unit into another category, I think they should have offered it for less.

JoeMama

Is this the one you got? I love mine! It is snug, but not so that a finger pull on the clicker won't slide it out.
https://www.amazon.com/Aston-Leathe...1489171773&sr=8-2&keywords=leather+pen+sleeve

vinhale

I really want that leather sleeve. Which ones on Amazon have you tried? I thought about buying one off there to hold me over but I don't want to get a piece of junk either.

Quick note on the Amazon sleeves: I use them and they are great, but be aware that until they loosen up, I would recommend being careful not to pull on the pushbutton to get them out. Make sure you grip the body (dial area) itself when removing the hopper from the sleeve. This may be superstition but I don't think the button takes kindly to being "pulled".

Vape Dr.

Here is some information about the WPA.

This is from an email I received back yesterday from Nicole.

"Trevor and Matt are working on new designs and improvements.
We had minor changes to the WPA and it delayed mass production a bit but, it should be good to go in about the next week or so! We're excited to get it out the door. We know people were get anxious about it's release but we like to make sure we're sending out products we're proud of."
Nicole

So it is going to be about a week but it is well worth the wait!

I highly recommend the WPA to every Hopper owner.

It's a game changer for sure!:tup: Hang in there!

JoeMama

Quick note on the Amazon sleeves: I use them and they are great, but be aware that until they loosen up, I would recommend being careful not to pull on the pushbutton to get them out. Make sure you grip the body (dial area) itself when removing the hopper from the sleeve. This may be superstition but I don't think the button takes kindly to being "pulled".

Interesting to hear that... I have had two of them for months and use them constantly... they've "loosened up" just a little, but, for example, if I take the sleeve and hold it upside down by pinching the bottom end, the Hopper will not come out even with shaking.

IMO, I don't feel that pulling on the clicker in any way is causing any harm, but I will usually grab for the body deeper in the fold when possible, or "squeeze" the bottom of the sleeve to nudge the body up a bit to grab it well.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@JoeMama: Yes, those are the ones I bought, based on your recommendation. :)

They are definitely solid and worthwhile cases, and I'm glad I bought them. Still, I prefer the smaller, sleeker design of the HL sleeve.

Thanks for the tip about pinching the bottom, that might help my issue with the snug fit. :brow:

JoeMama

@JoeMama: Yes, those are the ones I bought, based on your recommendation. :)

They are definitely solid and worthwhile cases, and I'm glad I bought them. Still, I prefer the smaller, sleeker design of the HL sleeve.

Thanks for the tip about pinching the bottom, that might help my issue with the snug fit. :brow:
Well then I look forward to being able to compare when I get mine.

When WILL I get mine? It's only been 19 months.

vinhale

..."squeeze" the bottom of the sleeve to nudge the body up a bit to grab it well.

That's the move; the pinch n wiggle just to get the body up enough to grab.

It is anecdotal but I did have a clicker failure shortly after starting to use the sleeve on my SS. The effect was that clicking it on would go to blue and then off with no heat. Who knows.

JoeMama

That's the move; the pinch n wiggle just to get the body up enough to grab.

It is anecdotal but I did have a clicker failure shortly after starting to use the sleeve on my SS. The effect was that clicking it on would go to blue and then off with no heat. Who knows.
Sorry that happened... If the kind of force needed to pull it out of that sleeve by the clicker would somehow cause a failure, I dare to hope it was a defect in the first place!

Top Bottom