Discontinued The Grasshopper

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
I didn't mean to insinuate you did a bad job of it, which reading my post again I realise I could have phrased it better.

Half an hour is a good time for soaking, and 12 hours for drying is actually fairly reasonable all things considered

I feel you have much better chances than I did for unit health, I was much worse with my waiting times :p

No man, I didn't assume it like that..on the contrary, many thanks for pointing sth important out, even if you don't keep the timings for yourself :p .. Regarding my chances, I cannot say anything..
All I know is that when HL tell people they're servicing units and all that, this may be the case for them.. and to be honest with you, the bottom of my oven looks pretty awful for less than two-month body. How will it look like after some considerable amount of time?
It would be a good idea to take a pic of the bottom now that's been cleaned with the iso a bit, but I don't want to overdo it with the screen, otherwise I'll end up with a lose one and that will definitely cause me troubles even void my warranty..

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
Well after finding out the hard way why not to, I do follow them now.

However I personally won't be soaking my units, despite thinking it's a reasonable thing that might need to be done, it does void the warranty

that's my only worry now and I'm still thinking if I did the right thing or not, which I'll have to find out next time my hopper visits hopperland, eventually :p (fingers crossed HL are not up 2 date with the topic :cool:)

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Secondly, that IPA has clearly dissolved an amount of resin, hence the current day recommendation of q-tip wipes (surfactant disruption prevents dissolving material and dispersing it through the entire device). As that coloured mixture evaporates, it will leave a film behind that most likely will cause you issues.

REELY? DUDE?

People down, down under use IPA to soak their hoppers....

What a novel idea, I use it to soak myself. :brow:

PurpleDazed

Hey all,

I finally got my purple titanium grasshopper.

luv the minimal time it takes to get to set temp initially and the repeated hits till done with the session.
I definately find the quick click easy to turn on and off.

what im wondering now is how many sessions I can do on a single charge?

Carlos8400

what im wondering now is how many sessions I can do on a single charge?

With mine i could go through 2 bowls, and it would usually give me the low battery light during the 3rd one.
Sometimes i could finish number 3, sometimes not. Never got to 4!

I would be more worried about how many sessions you can get before your GH dies...

natural farmer

Well after finding out the hard way why not to, I do follow them now.

However I personally won't be soaking my units, despite thinking it's a reasonable thing that might need to be done, it does currently void the warranty

Does it really void the warranty? Is that mentioned somewhere in their instructions?

That film of residue that you talked about should actually be all over the heater area, and I would assume even on the led light, even without the deep IPA cleaning... This might be how a mulfunction comes up in the first place. Herbs are vaped, vapor can enter every crevice around heater area with the slightest blow-back, film is formed while cooling down. Unfortynatelly on the sensor as well! This film though should be the first thing evaporated aroind the heater when it engages. I can't see how it could cause problems.

About waiting times now, that first manual actually suggested up to 24h soaking and complete drying, not the other way round... Just to avoid the slightest IPA to remain in, I would translate the complete drying to be another 24h but since the engaged heater would instantly evaporate the remaining ISO I can't see much problem to re-use after only 12h...
If sensor issues remain after one deep cleaning I would repeat the process with clean IPA to remove the last traces of oils.

Very glad it came back to life @voodoo_vape! :D I hope my advices don't cause any harm to anyone's Hopper, each is responsible for their actions anyway, but experience with cleaning electronics tells me it's ok to do this. Hopper labs wouldn't even mention it in their first booklet if they thought it would be that dangerous, right? It's not a hard procedure, just a few simple steps done right, but who knows why they removed that bit from the manual? Cause sometimes people can't follow even the simplest instructions and screw things up? :lol:

Gramin

as in the "photoshoped" image on the manual you mean? :whoa::evil:

Edit: fuck it...y not....
vr5Fvbb.jpg
You should probably start with clean ISO most importantly! Secondly you should use a shot glass, remove the MP and stand the Hopper straight!

I did a full body soak for no more than 5 minutes without breaking the already broken body.

Only thing stopping me from doing it again is the fact that the B/E dial needs replacing anyway so why bother. I don't think we have a fix for uneven temp dial?

Well, i just spent my GH money on a Herborizer Ti kit with both bowl sizes.
Let's hope the french have thought things through a bit more than Hopper labs did...

GH life was short but intense!
Man I'm still kicking myself I bought a second GH instead of this. Looking forward to your review coming from a GH!

Last edited:

PurpleDazed

I would be more worried about how many sessions you can get before your GH dies...

Wow you must be a blast at parties. "I wonder when the cops will get here..."

and like you i didnt finish a 4th session on one charge. so it seems 3 is my limit as well.

and i will be sure to save the boxes it arrived in since it seems like i will be doing warrantied returns as well when poop happens.

MoltenTiger

REELY? DUDE?

People down, down under use IPA to soak their hoppers....

What a novel idea, I use it to soak myself. :brow:
Haha, really.

IPA is colloquial for craft beer but internationally regarded in the chemistry and hopper world as isopropyl alcohol ;)

Obviously contextually I'm talking about chemicals, and if I wasn't I'd need to reference a drink for IPA to be relevant. But enjoy your beverage :brow:

Does it really void the warranty?
Well, technically, if you follow the wording of the included manual it voids the warranty.

However the online version currently makes it a grey area as long as the device is off.

Whilst that's still referenced by HL I guess it won't be risky, but it's a risky procedure (there would be no other reason for the OEM to cease recommending it to users)

That film of residue that you talked about should actually be all over the heater area, and I would assume even on the led light, even without the deep IPA cleaning... This might be how a mulfunction comes up in the first place. Herbs are vaped, vapor can enter every crevice around heater area with the slightest blow-back, film is formed while cooling down. Unfortynatelly on the sensor as well! This film though should be the first thing evaporated aroind the heater when it engages. I can't see how it could cause problems.
Yes there is resin created during normal device use, though most of it is contained on the chamber walls and extremities of the heater. Internally there shouldn't be much residue, although it would build up over time as it is totally enclosed.

If you dissolve all the large deposits of resin and then force the liquid through the device, then more resin will make it further through the complex heater (which is cold) condensing it and trapping it.

This adds extra thermal mass and restricts airflow.
Normally empty hits at full temp removes and clears that up.
It might be the same, better or worse after an IPA soak but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that alcohol and the GH inside do not match well. Even official company communication declares this

When using IPA to clean circuit boards, a rag is needed to wipe away residue. Liquefying that residue and dispersing it could easily cause problems, that's why it's removed.

Without being able to see into, and not knowing what's there, when the only people who do don't recommend IPA soaking, it's just not best practice and if not currently will soon properly void warranty

huk_huk

with all the talk about gunk under the screen I had to take a look. My unit performs very well and I'm using it daily for about 4 months. No AVB or gunk visible.. I think this is because I often click my unit off during a hit and sometimes I take a firm draw when the chamber is empty to suck small particles out. Sometimes I do the empty runs on 5 but usualy I don't even click it on. Still I won't touch the chamber with ISO, my unit before showed coplights after cleaning with ISO (actually I used 96% ethanol) althought I was very careful and used qtips with a little ISO then dry qtips and then waited for 10 hours. maybe coincidence.

It remains my favorite vape

Gramin

Still I won't touch the chamber with ISO, my unit before showed coplights after cleaning with ISO (actually I used 96% ethanol) althought I was very careful and used qtips with a little ISO then dry qtips and then waited for 10 hours. maybe coincidence.

Coincidence I've also experienced. Two or three times now I've had issues after a clean when I thought I was extremely safe and got ISO no where near delicate areas and allowed drying time.

My new approach is to clean as least as possible now. I'm not even looking at B/E gunk now, as long as the MP screws on fairly easily I couldn't care less now how dirty this thing gets. Babying these things has got me no where so why waste the time.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
I'm honestly so disappointed with The Grasshopper. For heavy users it will work for a couple of weeks very well, then degrade in performance for a couple more weeks, and then die. At least that is what I have experienced. Now GHL wants us to send the units in for repair. I just can't see why I would want to own a vaporizer that would need to go in for at least a week of service every month. I think they're on to something really big as far as vaporizing goes, but I don't think this is it due to the subpar quality control. Which, by the way in my opinion I don't really consider quality control but actually a flaw in the design of the unit; a defect.

I have a few other portable Vapes but they are absolutely terrible. I have a really nice desktop Vape that works great and hasn't had a problem for 10 years. All I want is a portable Vape that works well and is reliable.

I'm thinking about getting an Arizer air, but I have well over $200 tied up in the grasshopper. How can I justify this purchase? How can I buy another vaporizer and put the one that I just bought on the Shelf because I know that I will never be using it because I know that it will break down and become a hassle? Is there anybody else a sort of feels the same way I do? I'm just curious.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I'm honestly so disappointed with The Grasshopper. For heavy users it will work for a couple of weeks very well, then degrade in performance for a couple more weeks, and then die. At least that is what I have experienced. Now GHL wants us to send the units in for repair. I just can't see why I would want to own a vaporizer that would need to go in for at least a week of service every month. I think they're on to something really big as far as vaporizing goes, but I don't think this is it due to the subpar quality control. Which, by the way in my opinion I don't really consider quality control but actually a flaw in the design of the unit; a defect.

I have a few other portable Vapes but they are absolutely terrible. I have a really nice desktop Vape that works great and hasn't had a problem for 10 years. All I want is a portable Vape that works well and is reliable.

I'm thinking about getting an Arizer air, but I have well over $200 tied up in the grasshopper. How can I justify this purchase? How can I buy another vaporizer and put the one that I just bought on the Shelf because I know that I will never be using it because I know that it will break down and become a hassle? Is there anybody else a sort of feels the same way I do? I'm just curious.
Personally, I feel the Grasshopper offers something to me that no other vaporizer can match. That makes it worth dealing with the reliability issues for me.

I have two hoppers with about 14 months of use between the two. I have had three service incidents in this time. That works out to 4-5 months between servicing for me. It has cost me less than $9 total spent on shipping to deal with these issues.

If I had as many warranty claims as some of you I would probably have a different outlook. It does seem to me that they are becoming more reliable over time, even if the process is more slow than I like. When I first got my hopper most talk of problems was related to mysteriously hot back ends. That issue seems to be much less prevalent now. The main problem now seems to be the "straight to blue" issue, even the slow cop lights seem to have tapered off.

If you're looking for a portable, the VapCap is the only one that can compete on size and performance. It's not quite as stealthy, and isn't 100% convection.

The Sticky Brick Junior offers better performance than the Grasshopper and is 100% convection, but it is fairly large for a portable, and not stealthy at all.

Both of these options are butane vaporizers. If you want battery powered I would say Milaana, Firefly 2, and Firewood 4 are options. They are all noticeably larger than the Grasshopper, and they are also manual like the aforementioned butane vapes.

No other automatic battery powered portable offers as much high powered convection, as quickly, in as small and stealthy of a package as the Grasshopper does.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Personally, I feel the Grasshopper offers something to me that no other vaporizer can match. That makes it worth dealing with the reliability issues for me.

I have two hoppers with about 14 months of use between the two. I have had three service incidents in this time. That works out to 4-5 months between servicing for me. It has cost me less than $9 total spent on shipping to deal with these issues.

If I had as many warranty claims as some of you I would probably have a different outlook. It does seem to me that they are becoming more reliable over time, even if the process is more slow than I like. When I first got my hopper most talk of problems was related to mysteriously hot back ends. That issue seems to be much less prevalent now. The main problem now seems to be the "straight to blue" issue, even the slow cop lights seem to have tapered off.

If you're looking for a portable, the VapCap is the only one that can compete on size and performance. It's not quite as stealthy, and isn't 100% convection.

The Sticky Brick Junior offers better performance than the Grasshopper and is 100% convection, but it is fairly large for a portable, and not stealthy at all.

Both of these options are butane vaporizers. If you want battery powered I would say Milaana, Firefly 2, and Firewood 4 are options. They are all noticeably larger than the Grasshopper, and they are also manual like the aforementioned butane vapes.

No other automatic battery powered portable offers as much high powered convection, as quickly, in as small and stealthy of a package as the Grasshopper does.

I would not recommend the Firefly 2. I owned one and got rid of it pretty quick. It tastes great, but minimal on the clouds.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I would not recommend the Firefly 2. I owned one and got rid of it pretty quick. It tastes great, but minimal on the clouds.
Yeah, from what I've heard it's definitely not for me, at least for flowers. It sounds like it might be a great concentrate option, but it's too expensive for me to justify it for that purpose alone.

I was trying to make suggestions more than recommendations. The VapCap and Sticky Brick Junior are the only ones I have used personally and can recommend. As noted though, they each have their own drawbacks and strengths.

Unless you're totally against butane I think everyone should have a VapCap. They're cheap enough, and you can't beat the reliability!

I still gotta have my Grasshoppers though. The combination of speed, size, and stealth allow me to medicate in situations I simply couldn't otherwise.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Just got four more fresh new bats from @vapen00b - Thanks bro! :wave:
Handling with only two bats was no fun. And up to now there are no replacement bats in Germany in sight.

Thursday I will get a nice package full of GH related stuff from @Ratchett. There are a lot of different batterie holders - one is a customized I will review - among.
Now I have the bats to fill them

natural farmer

I might not own a Hopper myself but I had plenty of time playing with a few this last year.
I don't usually do car analogies but I think it would help here. And because I don't know my cars I will do it with bikes... :p So, I see the Hopper as a track-ready Ducati 1299 Panigale of sorts, or like a KTM SXC enduro bike! You can ride on the road with them but you need to be careful, meaning, you can go dry hitting the Hopper but it's true power comes out only through a glass piece! :lol:
As pure-blood racing machines these bikes and the Hopper need proper maintenance to work at their peak performance and not break down in short time! For the Hopper I think this means a good deep cleaning every now and then depending on the usage. You would do the same with a gun after a shot or more...
If you want low maintenance you are probably looking at the wrong vape... Maybe a Solo or an Air instead or in bike analogy a mass produced Honda Transalp? :2c:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I might not own a Hopper myself but I had plenty of time playing with a few this last year.
I don't usually do car analogies but I think it would help here. And because I don't know my cars I will do it with bikes... :p So, I see the Hopper as a track-ready Ducati 1299 Panigale of sorts, or like a KTM SXC enduro bike! You can ride on the road with them but you need to be careful, meaning, you can go dry hitting the Hopper but it's true power comes out only through a glass piece! :lol:
As pure-blood racing machines these bikes and the Hopper need proper maintenance to work at their peak performance and not break down in short time! For the Hopper I think this means a good deep cleaning every now and then depending on the usage. You would do the same with a gun after a shot or more...
If you want low maintenance you are probably looking at the wrong vape... Maybe a Solo or an Air instead or in bike analogy a mass produced Honda Transalp? :2c:
There is a comparison to be made, but I think the point you are making, that Hoppers are high maintenance is not really spot-on. While I agree that the company's policy is not spot-on either -that GH requires virtually no cleaning - I do spend some time on cleaning, especially the mouthpiece. But it's mainly soaking time, which I sandwich between uses, just every couple of days.
So I agree Hopper may be as tempermental and certainly as quirky as an Italian racing bike, and even need some deep cleaning now and then, but it's not a constant tweaking and cleaning thing by any means. Now, time in the shop may be another story...

WoodyWeedPecker

Sometimes I do the empty runs on 5 but usualy I don't even click it on. Still I won't touch the chamber with ISO, my unit before showed coplights after cleaning with ISO (actually I used 96% ethanol) althought I was very careful and used qtips with a little ISO then dry qtips and then waited for 10 hours. maybe coincidence.
When I received cop lights it was not right after a iso cleaning. I had a 1 or 2 sessions with it and a day passed before getting cop lights. After changing batteries and doing some dry clean up a couple of times. It seems pulling very hard on the unit (with mouth piece off) did the trick or it was just a coincidence. Now it's part of my regular clean up.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
When I received cop lights it was not right after a iso cleaning. I had a 1 or 2 sessions with it and a day passed before getting cop lights. After changing batteries and doing some dry clean up a couple of times. It seems pulling very hard on the unit (with mouth piece off) did the trick or it was just a coincidence. Now it's part of my regular clean up.
Maybe we need a new cleaning tool, the Grasshopper Suctionator. Obvious marketing slogan, "It Sucks!"

Carlos8400

Would you say the same thing if you had bought a new Ducati 1299 Panigale that didn't work right out of the store, and then the replacement had a terminal failure within the break in periode?
I am all for trying to justify a purchase, but to say "The reason it is unreliable is because it is best" just seems weird to me.

Carlos8400,
Reactions: shmoedog
Top Bottom