Discontinued The Grasshopper

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Under normal operation, the cop lights indicate the heater is over heated. If the unit is being used a lot and then has temporary cop lights that is consistent with the warning mechanism. The cop lights are not connected to or associated with being dropped. They only serve to indicate overheat which is temporary as is described or temp sensor failure which is permanent and requires an RMA.

If you don't have cop lights it's because your heater is not over heating. One persons heavy use is not the same and if someone is going through two bowls in quick succession as described I could see that triggering the warning cop lights.

I reply not to get into a discussion about the features of the grasshopper, only to inform on what they are.

The grasshopper website has a page that explains all the different warning lights and video so there's no reason to speculate.

biohacker

One persons heavy use is not the same and if someone is going through two bowls in quick succession as described I could see that triggering the warning cop lights.

Well, I go through alot more than 2 bowls in quick succession as I said and never seen them. Perhaps something else is triggering and prompting the high temp warning, perhaps something like dropping it several times? Coplights have pointed more toward RMA in this thread, than just overheating from what i've read. Well, I guess my testing for today is to try to make my GH overheat! I have a feeling i'll get straight to blue before that happens though.

Last edited:

btka

But why does it happen to his and not mine? I'd love for someone to torture test their GH's more than me. Remember, the GH is my daily driver (presently only 1 GH) and I use it repetitively and have never, ever, once seen the cop lights on any of my 4 hoppers. The only time i've seen the cop lights was on my very first gen backer GH that was DOA. I just don't understand how some people's hoppers can overheat "normally" while other's don't?

I repeat, I have never ever seen the coplights or overheat warning and I use my GH exclusively on 5, and repeat hits until the battery is toast, and then pop another one in and keep going. I use it like a desktop, exclusively through water....hmmm, maybe that's why, but then again i'd think that would put even greater demand on the heater than using it native.

If the coplights are recent as was indicated, after dropping it a bunch of times, i'd say there is a good chance that there might be an issue. Especially if it's a new behaviour which it appears it is. Tough call for RMA, i'd personally wait until it drove me nuts, like I did for my other RMA's.
maybe high ambient temp.
or maybe not turning off gh between hits...
all speculation... but I know from gh troubleshooting sheme that there are two sorts of cop light and one is overheating

biohacker

maybe high ambient temp.
or maybe not turning off gh between hits...
all speculation... but I know from gh troubleshooting sheme that there are two sorts of cop light and one is overheating

Thanks bro, that's it! Never even considered not turning off the gh between hits. That's something I do every single time. Leaving it on and hauling, and hauling some more..... that would cause overheating i'm sure. Time to really torture test!

btka

Thanks bro, that's it! Never even considered not turning off the gh between hits. That's something I do every single time. Leaving it on and hauling, and hauling some more..... that would cause overheating i'm sure. Time to really torture test!
I would wet until you got yournhoppers back from hl... if you only have the ss gh to you disposal... better safe then sorry... I know how hard it is without a gh...

MoltenTiger

have you used the hopper in summer yet?

I got the over-heat lights a couple of times last year, and the unit was almost too hot to hold.
It took a few people and back-to-back hits to do it the first time

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Do not post any content that harasses, insults, belittles, threatens or flames another member. Warning point issued.
Well, I go through alot more than 2 bowls in quick succession as I said and never seen them. Perhaps something else is triggering and prompting the high temp warning, perhaps something like dropping it several times? Coplights have pointed more toward RMA in this thread, than just overheating from what i've read. Well, I guess my testing for today is to try to make my GH overheat! I have a feeling i'll get straight to blue before that happens though.

Oh you're right! I forgot that I don't know what I'm talking about! Especially since I don't read the information right on Grasshoppers website ... or talk to the actual people who built the device on a regular basis ...

@Kanyayweest definitely don't listen to me and send that hopper in so they can send it right back and tell you exactly what I just said ... JK def don't do that, if you don't know what the light patterns mean click here: https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/troubleshooting-guide/

MoltenTiger

No not the snark. No more snark guys, there was minimal, then there was highlighting. Just stop it. Patterns. Lets not repeat it

I generally read the posts here, and there have been too many times where rattling of nonsense carried on for multiple pages, it's hard to read and it's hard to re-instigate topics or bother to find the transition back to normal forum content

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm filing warranty request today for cop lights. Click on, red for 5-15 seconds then to red/blue flashing. Small amounts of heat develop on an intermittent basis. This is a faulty temp. sensor.

The back end is fine, and works fine on my other hopper's body. But the body gives same behavior/lights with other (good) back end.

It's notable that this has been developing over a period of days; sometimes getting to temp and making good vape, but then flashing as if overheating. But this could happen on first draw, it was not over-taxed at all. So I still think this may have been heat sensor 'going bad' and not overheat warning.

I want to add that I have seen overheat warning at times on the several bodies I've had. Let it cool down and all's well. Also had cop lights right at click-on and know that that's bad bongos.

biohacker

I would wet until you got yournhoppers back from hl... if you only have the ss gh to you disposal... better safe then sorry... I know how hard it is without a gh...

Good point! But I do have other backups now (Herbie, EVO, Solo) so it's all good.

have you used the hopper in summer yet?

I got the over-heat lights a couple of times last year, and the unit was almost too hot to hold.
It took a few people and back-to-back hits to do it the first time

Never! But I can see how that could do it. Pretty sure that isn't the situation in this case, but honestly whatever I don't care anymore based on some of the responses.

Oh you're right! I forgot that I don't know what I'm talking about! Especially since I don't read the information right on Grasshoppers website ... or talk to the actual people who built the device on a regular basis ...

WTF? There are ways to make your point across without breaking the rules. And you can't accept that all I said is that it perhaps might be something else?

Glad to see snark is alive and well on FC.com

No not the snark. No more snark guys, there was minimal, then there was highlighting. Just stop it. Patterns. Lets not repeat it

I generally read the posts here, and there have been too many times where rattling of nonsense carried on for multiple pages, it's hard to read and it's hard to re-instigate topics or bother to find the transition back to normal forum content

Why can't we just follow the rules and BE NICE? Was I NOT nice somewhere in something I said @slcbdco?

PS. The cliques in this thread are worse than high school.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
WTF? There are ways to make your point across without breaking the rules. And you can't accept that all I said is that it perhaps might be something else?

Why can't we just follow the rules and BE NICE? Was I NOT nice somewhere in something I said @slcbdco?

PS. The cliques in this thread are worse than high school.
@biohacker please let the staff handle these types of situations. Responding in the thread often makes matters worse. The member you quoted has received a warning point for his comments, so let's just leave it there, ok?

Thanks.

:peace:

ROB520

Jus washed hopper and dryed it after didn't relize it was still in pocket:doh: seems to turn on and few seconds goes to blue haven't tried herb in there but man i hope its ok this thing has took a beating btw over the 3mo. Ive had it

Jus tryedthe hopper still works like b4 has been dropped 2 or 3 times been washed and it still keeps hoppin lol i love my hopper

Last edited:

Pharoh

Heh you gotta remember she's only about 2 weeks old. I've done one major thread clean and the occasional blu tac.
What is Blue tac? Alls I clean on my GH is the oven.....should I be breaking it down and cleaning everything? Right now I have a brush that fits into the oven and it looks pretty clean when i finish....

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Jus washed hopper and dryed it after didn't relize it was still in pocket:doh: seems to turn on and few seconds goes to blue haven't tried herb in there but man i hope its ok this thing has took a beating btw over the 3mo. Ive had it

Jus tryedthe hopper still works like b4 has been dropped 2 or 3 times been washed and it still keeps hoppin lol i love my hopper

Awesome, now try running it over with a monster truck.

Please report back :lol:

Mr. Me2

What is Blue tac? Alls I clean on my GH is the oven.....should I be breaking it down and cleaning everything? Right now I have a brush that fits into the oven and it looks pretty clean when i finish....
The mouthpiece will need an ISO soak from time to time. Each time I empty my gh, I look into the mouthpiece and always use a poker to dislodge debris.

Blu tac is a silly putty type material that removes dirt from the exposed threads. Most use it on the backend threads.

Hope this helps!

chillersnov8p

Just received ss hopper #2 in the mail. Now do I just leave it in the drawer until something(God forbid) happens to #1 or do u rotate them?

chillersnov8p,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Just received ss hopper #2 in the mail. Now do I just leave it in the drawer until something(God forbid) happens to #1 or do u rotate them?

Rotate it fella, at the very least do a few break in sessions on the new arrival:
  1. It might have a different vape signature from your existing hopper. Mine did, I much preferred my second one. The first doesn't hit as hard.
  2. You want to know it isn't DOA or flakey
:2c:

ChooChooCharlie

Our leader still serves his people, even as he lies in state:

nQrtBtl.jpg

This is one way to have fun in a cheap hotel.
Knock on door is either pizza, call girl, or the cops.

guyonthecouch

Yeah the pinnacle style hydratube is great, have one myself and the hopper just milks tf out of it. So guys, my hopper has been running fine after being warrantied 2 months ago but I've dropped it countless times (thank god for my new backup hopper haha) and recently I can get through 2 bowls before the unit is too hot to hold. I get police lights (red and slight blue) when the unit gets too hot but otherwise it works great. Does it sound like it's time to warranty again?
No, this does not sound like normal behaviour. I would suggest doing a warranty claim or at least emailing support and describing your heat/light issue and seeing what they say.

Under normal operation, the cop lights indicate the heater is over heated. If the unit is being used a lot and then has temporary cop lights that is consistent with the warning mechanism. The cop lights are not connected to or associated with being dropped. They only serve to indicate overheat which is temporary as is described or temp sensor failure which is permanent and requires an RMA.

If you don't have cop lights it's because your heater is not over heating. One persons heavy use is not the same and if someone is going through two bowls in quick succession as described I could see that triggering the warning cop lights.

I reply not to get into a discussion about the features of the grasshopper, only to inform on what they are.

The grasshopper website has a page that explains all the different warning lights and video so there's no reason to speculate.
The Cop lights are also a sign of sensor damage. So in theory, it could be that the sensors have been damaged/moved/etc from repetitive falls. But in this case it definitely sounds like the overheating warning lights.
@biohacker You weren't getting these cop lights because your heater wasn't overheating. Your issue of back end overheating(even though it's a heat issue) would not trigger either of the cop light warnings. If you have cop lights and hot back ends well, first off make sure you're not in a strip club and secondly your hopper is suffering from multiple/separate illnesses.

Pharoh

The mouthpiece will need an ISO soak from time to time. Each time I empty my gh, I look into the mouthpiece and always use a poker to dislodge debris.

Blu tac is a silly putty type material that removes dirt from the exposed threads. Most use it on the backend threads.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much!!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I've received the overheating lights before, they are a rapid flashing red/blue. I only got them when I tried to kill a chamber in one hit through water at temp 5. This was last summer with my SS, I haven't seen them after that. They can be seen in the second video on this page:

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/troubleshooting-guide/

Today I got the slower red/blue flashing error lights on my Ti. This happened to my SS once as well. I swapped out backends and the Ti backend works fine on the SS, but the SS backend does not work on the Ti body. The SS Grasshopper itself works fine. This leads me to believe the Ti body is bad, and that's also what the issue was with my SS before.

I sent HL a warranty request explaining this. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't watch the video first. I said I was getting rapid red/blue flashing in my email, for some reason I thought the overheating lights were slower. :doh:

I feel like a huge idiot, I should have taken my time and watched the video first. I was hoping they would send me a new body, but they want the whole Grasshopper in to look at it. I'm not sure if that's because of my mistake or not, lately it seems they want all of them sent back to run diagnostics on.

It's probably my fault it broke because just the day before I was marveling at how well it was performing. And then the next day it just randomly died. I guess that's how it goes, though...

Top Bottom