Discontinued The Grasshopper

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
FWIW, Caroline told me the straight to blue issue has a random cause.

I've yet to try the reddit posts fix on mine, but I'd say it'd be a reasonable thing to try.
However ISO on the heater can lead to cop light issues.

I'll probably just send mine in for testing, plus the more cases HL see of this issue, the better the chance they have at engineering a fix

As long as they do put them under the "service lamp" or whatever they check them with and not just check for the blue/red/flickering or what so ever lights that can be blinking on the main body.

Something else that I wanted to mention regarding Temps. I have been reading that some of you have the dial "stuck" on T5! Isnt' that herb waste to a certain extend? Don't you miss several stages of the bud being vaped? I find myself starting off at T3 and stepping it up to t4-4.5 max. I've stopped using T5 since its gives me a stiff throat and makes me cough quite a bit. Plus the fact that colour-wise, T4 does the job as well as T5 and not in just two hits...

In other news, yesterday it was my first time that I managed to finish all my 4 batteries in one night! :freak:
Two persons, one Ti and lots of eeerb love!! :love: I got outside my house around 7 in the afternoon and got back like 3.30 in the morning :D Really impressed with my batteries, as long as you know what to expect.. :)

almost there

I'll bite, the caveat being that as a sorta former cigarette smoker I enjoy the act in its own rite apart from the result ...

Or put another way, sometimes I want to take a road trip and sometimes I have to be there so I fly.

The other caveat, pursuant to the first is that I tend to "spliff" my conduction sessions meaning I add tobacco and usually other herbs
That said the amount of cannabis I load in a Grasshopper and IQ are about the same actually.

My usual method of using a grasshopper is putting in a pinch or so and temp stepping that bowl over 5-10 hits over the course of a few hours.

My method for the IQ is a load a bowl vape the whole thing for 10 minutes and dump it after.

So the final caveat being yes assuming the same amount of cannabis, I get to the same "destination" just different travel modes

all that said, probably one might get to 22 if the bowl is full in an IQ and it's only cannabis, but it will take you 10 minutes to get there, where the GH you can get to 15 in about 20 seconds

Conduction vs convention for me with the right device so flavor is within range is mostly about driving vs flying
That is just about the best way anyone has ever discribed it, bravo!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Something else that I wanted to mention regarding Temps. I have been reading that some of you have the dial "stuck" on T5! Isnt' that herb waste to a certain extend? Don't you miss several stages of the bud being vaped? I find myself starting off at T3 and stepping it up to t4-4.5 max. I've stopped using T5 since its gives me a stiff throat and makes me cough quite a bit. Plus the fact that colour-wise, T4 does the job as well as T5 and not in just two hits...
There is a trade-off when using only temp. 5 and it's that you miss some nice flavor hits and the lighter head for a couple of minutes. But, let go of those and in turn you can have the goods, like, all at once. More, and stronger, as there are more things released, faster.
The expression @slcbdco used above applies in this case, too; flying vs. driving. Use of water tool begins to make more sense in light of this.
To each her own, of course. A new flavor in the house is a great time for temp. stepping!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I think this helps me to describe why I'm growing fonder everyday for my FW4. I love the Hopper whilst on the "mental" go, but in the eve when I'm chilling, the FW4 is a slower vape experience, like sipping a fine brandy versus the more sudden shot of tequila.

Understood, you've been talking about conduction vs convection... My Pax hasn't seen the light of day since I can now go solo with the Hopper and session with the FW.

Dammit, I can't believe I'm starting to seriously VAS for the FW. Like others, I find myself becoming a convectioneer. More and more, I'm seeing my conduction vape (Focus Pro) purely as a backup for my hopper and enjoying the convection much more. So a session-type convection unit is looking more and more attractive. Well, it's still better than a gambling addiction, I guess. I may be pickin' your brain soon, Joe.

I'm so glad that you were able to make it to that show, @moondog! I was worried you wouldn't feel up to it. I don't know where I would be without music in my life, it helps so much during those hard times.

Thanks Vapor Eyes. I forced myself out the door by sheer willpower and I'm so glad I did. Such amazing music and I saw so many good friends. I picked up lots of life force last night. I'm a firm believer that music is proof of a higher benevolent organizing power/principle to our universe. (Who knows what the hell is going on in the other 'verses?)

"Oh boy, not only does he talk politics, now he's talkin' religion. Someone grab the fire hose."

biohacker

It seems like every single time I hit the GH dry on temp 5 I NEVER ever get visible vapour on the first hit. I have large lungs and will take a similar slower long draw like when I use the water tool, but it's weird!

With the water tool I think it creates more of a suction or vacuum like a 3rd lung or something? Because within seconds I start to see the visible vapour rise and I exhale a massive cloud.

After that first dry hit on 5 though it starts to produce and give nice clouds..

My OG SS GH is lonely without its 3 siblings lol

Mr. Me2

Dammit, I can't believe I'm starting to seriously VAS for the FW. Like others, I find myself becoming a convectioneer. More and more, I'm seeing my conduction vape (Focus Pro) purely as a backup for my hopper and enjoying the convection much more. So a session-type convection unit is looking more and more attractive. Well, it's still better than a gambling addiction, I guess. I may be pickin' your brain soon, Joe.

Thanks Vapor Eyes. I forced myself out the door by sheer willpower and I'm so glad I did. Such amazing music and I saw so many good friends. I picked up lots of life force last night. I'm a firm believer that music is proof of a higher benevolent organizing power/principle to our universe. (Who knows what the hell is going on in the other 'verses?)

"Oh boy, not only does he talk politics, now he's talkin' religion. Someone grab the fire hose."
Not to get off topic here, so I'll couch it as a gh companion, and also not to slight the fw4 in any way, but to add to your vas have you seen this thread and what's on the horizon...

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-next-vape-from-d-m-pipes.21143/

JoeMama

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It seems like every single time I hit the GH dry on temp 5 I NEVER ever get visible vapour on the first hit. I have large lungs and will take a similar slower long draw like when I use the water tool, but it's weird!

With the water tool I think it creates more of a suction or vacuum like a 3rd lung or something? Because within seconds I start to see the visible vapour rise and I exhale a massive cloud.

After that first dry hit on 5 though it starts to produce and give nice clouds..

Sometimes it feels like a moving target!
Or the quest for Goldilocks Clouds?
I've been hopping for 6 months, today!

I tend to see (early) production vary with, though not necessarily in this order; 1. individual hopper (lately) 2. material in use 3. battery condition and state of charge.

Water tool does create a suction that's different, maybe more intermittent/pulsing (bubbles) so maybe a different response from this smart/sensitive little Hopper?

Sometimes short primer hits are needed to get things really hopping (wish I had better flower!) but I find that less necessary for dry hits. So, go figure, idk. On 5, first hit dry might take 5 to 8 seconds to come on, then during draw you can click it off and watch production actually increase a bit for several seconds -some of the strongest clouds. But maybe not every time!
Last night I was happy to get 3 bowls @ 5 from one charge. 3 to 4 big water hits per. I noticed the output seemed much less on the 3rd bowl and abv not quite as dark. Charge was not run all the way to blinking red.

I'm happy for the folks who seem to have it licked, great bud, great working hopper, happy people! While I do love these hoppers, there seem to be a lot of head scratching moments, way more than with the Mighty or Pax2, my main reference points.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

Water tools do add suction and seem to speed up the extraction process. That being said, I pretty much always get huge amounts of vapor on my first hit at temp 4, even 3.5 when I go that low. I take long hits so that may help, also if your material is too moist that may cause issues and require a primer hit.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Not a closed system. No suction related pressure difference. Only flow velocity differences.
Sorry, I admit I'm not an expert on physics. I should probably have checked my facts there but I don't know where I would have started. Thanks for the correction! :tup:

I knew that using a water piece creates a stronger draw through some mechanism. The more drag the water piece has the more it will increase the flow velocity in my experience.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I like to do tiny pinch bowls at temp 4.25 through my inline honeycomb bubbler, kill the bowl in one big tasty cloud (could get more even at higher temp, but then pretty wispy unless loading more). Very effective one hitters

JoeMama

Last night I was happy to get 3 bowls @ 5 from one charge.

Water tools do add suction and seem to speed up the extraction process. That being said, I pretty much always get huge amounts of vapor on my first hit at temp 4, even 3.5 when I go that low. I take long hits so that may help, also if your material is too moist that may cause issues and require a primer hit.

I don't think I've ever gone through 3 chambers on one battery. Are we talking full chambers, resulting in dark brown ABV?

I can't seem to get much of anything out of T3.5 anymore these days. Sometimes I can. I get maybe one grand cloud on T4, sometimes. But there's no way I will get a single charge to thoroughly extract 3 chambers. Maybe 2, if the material is dust-dry, and the gods are smiling.

As an aside... Of the two Ti Hoppers I have, both have been declared healthy by GHL. One of them seems to kick more ass than the other. Yet, it seems, at T5, they are about equal. But not so at T4 comparisons. I'm not going to argue with GHL about this, as I just don't need the headache.

ChooChooCharlie

I have not posted anything negative about the hopper yet.

Here's my list of cons:
  • Strong flavored and dense hopper vapor output can cause unexpected gag/cough reflex during draw, possibly fouling heater air path.
  • Flavor intensity on first hit makes me drool. Have to angle hopper up so saliva doesn't drip in. Some strange Pavlovian reaction I suppose. Probably just me.
  • Quick. Too quick, too easy. Tempt factor too strong because of "time convenience." Like while Mighty warms up. Or during breaks, at lunch, before appointments with P.O., etc.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have not posted anything negative about the hopper yet.

Here's my list of cons:
  • Strong flavored and dense hopper vapor output can cause unexpected gag/cough reflex during draw, possibly fouling heater air path.
  • Flavor intensity on first hit makes me drool. Have to angle hopper up so saliva doesn't drip in. Some strange Pavlovian reaction I suppose. Probably just me.
  • Quick. Too quick, too easy. Tempt factor too strong because of "time convenience." Like while Mighty warms up. Or during breaks, at lunch, before appointments with P.O., etc.
Were you going to say something negative about the Hopper?

Icon13

Serial Vapist
I'm not one of the conduction cravers, but I think it may be that conduction vapes are more suited to "session" vaping? I am not a session person though. Even when I was a smoker I would only take a couple tokes and refuse the peer pressure of "come on man, finish the bowl with us!"

For me, the hopper reins supreme. No conduction needed.

This is misleading. Convection is just a good if not far superior for sessions. Being a solo vape is just the nature of the Grasshopper, but not necessarily convection.

I own an Evolutions Vaporizer, which is IMO one of the best ever produced. One bowl puffs for days; really long. And because it is convection, you can sit on it and then continue. I've owned it for over 10 years. It's amazing and ideal for sessions, BIG ONES! Beautiful, dense clouds.

tubasco

This is misleading. Convection is just a good if not far superior for sessions. Being a solo vape is just the nature of the Grasshopper, but not necessarily convection.

I own an Evolutions Vaporizer, which is IMO one of the best ever produced. One bowl puffs for days; really long. And because it is convection, you can sit on it and then continue. I've owned it for over 10 years. It's amazing and ideal for sessions, BIG ONES! Beautiful, dense clouds.
If I could edit the post I would change my sentence to "I think it may be that portable conduction vapes are more suitable to session vaping."

Surely we can agree on that?

(I was not attempting to compare apples to oranges. Or grasshoppers to praying mantises.)

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Grasshopper pros
  1. Heat up time
  2. Swappable batteries
  3. Ability to vape any material
  4. Thick vapor because of large oven
  5. Size of unit and stealth
  6. Cleaning and maintenance
  7. Nearly fully metallic adding to durability and no glass to break
Grasshopper cons
  1. It dies
Not going to list batteries at con because doing what they do with 500-600 mAh is amazing, not going to list the fact it gets hot because it's a tiny metallic vape, not going to list the silicon condom because I use it with my enano stems for cool dry hits :rofl:

And is this a hopper bias review?

Yes it it :tup:

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
If anyone is looking for a more discreet condom in the color black, the Alfa mouthpiece works well.
GLNtbNr.jpg

LS2yQKy.jpg

If you want the best fit, turn the mouthpiece inside out and razor off the 4 ribs.
dQ9ekEz.jpg

Also my son's Hopper shows markings on the body PCB board after returing from GHL. It was for instant blue lights.
One on the small test point and several on the battery contact.

dTY3fwD.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Also my son's Hopper shows markings on the body PCB board after returing from GHL. It was for instant blue lights.

dTY3fwD.jpg
Interesting to me is that the straight to blue problem was apparently repaired and not just a body swap, which has been my RMA experience for this issue. Your are sure it's the same body that has come back?

The added diagnostic module, HL asking more often now for whole unit returns (for evaluation) and now your story are all very good signs, imo. Though it might add a day or two to warranty service if they are actually gonna pop the hood and climb in the engine compartment!

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
@vapviking : Yes, same body, same scratches when returned, with a few additional ones added to the collection.

Edit: That test point might just be a negative terminal for powering with a testing machine. Or not.
Wish I had a guinea pig one for a teardown.

Last edited:

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
After 3+ years of drooling over the idea of the grasshopper, I finally have one in my possession. After one session, I am quite impressed with the one I have. I used it from 3.5-4 with some super lemon haze. The taste was quite good. While not at the top end of my convection vapes for taste, it still tasted very good. I got I think about 3-4 good draws from about .06g. The vapour was quite warm by the end but not as harsh as I would expect. Using the silicone, I didn't find the heat of the hopper uncomfortable. I had read about moving past the taper, and I think that helped.

Now that it is in my possession, I want to treat the hopper as kindly as I can. While I have sort of followed this thread over time, I am not sure what are the steps for proper care. I read the resources page, but that seemed more about if you have a problem. I have searched this thread and it is hard to navigate. Could anyone point me to a post or answer a few questions:
1) What are the regular maintenance tips to keep the hopper in good condition?
2) Am I better off using the stock charger for charging the hopper batteries, or should I use the d4 I have?
3) What parts can I use ISO on and which can't I?

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
After 3+ years of drooling over the idea of the grasshopper, I finally have one in my possession. After one session, I am quite impressed with the one I have. I used it from 3.5-4 with some super lemon haze. The taste was quite good. While not at the top end of my convection vapes for taste, it still tasted very good. I got I think about 3-4 good draws from about .06g. The vapour was quite warm by the end but not as harsh as I would expect. Using the silicone, I didn't find the heat of the hopper uncomfortable. I had read about moving past the taper, and I think that helped.

Now that it is in my possession, I want to treat the hopper as kindly as I can. While I have sort of followed this thread over time, I am not sure what are the steps for proper care. I read the resources page, but that seemed more about if you have a problem. I have searched this thread and it is hard to navigate. Could anyone point me to a post or answer a few questions:
1) What are the regular maintenance tips to keep the hopper in good condition?
2) Am I better off using the stock charger for charging the hopper batteries, or should I use the d4 I have?
3) What parts can I use ISO on and which can't I?

Hi ya Bud,

Glad you are enjoying your hopper.
  1. For cleaning and maintenance there is no better resource than the 'Grasshopper Cleaning and Maintenance' blog post.

2. Which charger you use is mostly down to personal preference and situation.

I have Xtar's of various types which are useful for charging multiple Hopper batteries. Means I can get a stash of batts charged up if I know I'm going to be out and about hammering the Hopper.

However when I'm at home I just leave my Hopper on the stock (version 1) charger permanently with one of my older degraded battery in. This means I spend less time unscrewing the back end which in turn means less cleaning of the back end. (I haven't taken the back end off of my hopper in over 8 weeks!).

3. The mouthpiece can be fully submerged in ISO for cleaning. As far as HL's is concerned that is the only part of the Hopper that can be cleaned with ISO.

I find by emptying my Hoppers chamber just after using it, whilst it's still warm I can clean the bowl sufficiently with a brush or q-tip without needing ISO. Also wiping down a mouthpiece whilst it's still warm will mean it will go a lot longer without needing an ISO bath.

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
Hi ya Bud,

Glad you are enjoying your hopper.
  1. For cleaning and maintenance there is no better resource than the 'Grasshopper Cleaning and Maintenance' blog post.

2. Which charger you use is mostly down to personal preference and situation.

I have Xtar's of various types which are useful for charging multiple Hopper batteries. Means I can get a stash of batts charged up if I know I'm going to be out and about hammering the Hopper.

However when I'm at home I just leave my Hopper on the stock (version 1) charger permanently with one of my older degraded battery in. This means I spend less time unscrewing the back end which in turn means less cleaning of the back end. (I haven't taken the back end off of my hopper in over 8 weeks!).

3. The mouthpiece can be fully submerged in ISO for cleaning. As far as HL's is concerned that is the only part of the Hopper that can be cleaned with ISO.

I find by emptying my Hoppers chamber just after using it, whilst it's still warm I can clean the bowl sufficiently with a brush or q-tip without needing ISO. Also wiping down a mouthpiece whilst it's still warm will mean it will go a lot longer without needing an ISO bath.
Thank you, this should be a best of post for the grasshopper.

tubasco

If anyone is looking for a more discreet condom in the color black, the Alfa mouthpiece works well.
GLNtbNr.jpg

LS2yQKy.jpg

If you want the best fit, turn the mouthpiece inside out and razor off the 4 ribs.
dQ9ekEz.jpg

dTY3fwD.jpg
Were those marks on the battery terminal not there before sending the body off? In my experience that is the marking pattern that comes from normal use. To me it looks like "scratch off" lottery ticket material as the conduction point. In my previous bodies I've noticed a direct correlation between vapor performance and the decrease in this gold stuff on the contact. The checkerboard pattern appears (to me) to be the heater pattern below the contact point which is a clear material.

tubasco,
Reactions: Hjalmark
Top Bottom