Discontinued The Grasshopper

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
But, geez I need a T break. Been over-medicating for my post-electionitis. Got it bad. :ugh:

My situation exactly. I've been on a break starting on Monday and I haven't slept well -or on some nights, at all - since then. My news-related depression is bordering on unmanageable.

What causes the ultra scorching hot backends?

I wish I had a way to check my batteries.....can the nitecore d4 give any useful info?

I am now in the camp of "a hot back end is a malfunctioning back end". The backend on my SS stayed nice and cool all the time until I got it back from GHL after a brief-red-light-then-nothing failure. It "works" now but the backend gets super-hot immediately and the hopper is under-performing. My Ti backend is still nice and cool.

The D4 will give you status on the battery's charging progress and how much of a charge it currently has but I don't think it gives you any info on its "health". But one of our esteemed battery mavens can tell you more, I'm sure.

biohacker

I've been on a break starting on Monday and I haven't slept well -or on some nights, at all - since then

I feel for you, breaks are so hard on me that I basically cannot sleep whatsoever (and my bed turns into a swimming pool). Fortunately, by switching to the GH with one-hitters, my tolerance has actually plummeted.

My news-related depression is bordering on unmanageable.

It's all fake news propaganda.....turn off the TV, turn on the GH!

I am now in the camp of "a hot back end is a malfunctioning back end". The backend on my SS stayed nice and cool all the time until I got it back from GHL after a brief-red-light-then-nothing failure. It "works" now but the backend gets super-hot immediately and the hopper is under-performing. My Ti backend is still nice and cool.

Fack.....i've been reading all about hot backends being "normal" on the interwebs and now i'm worried that this is the new GH standard? I feel like as long as they test and get "some" vapour, it will be to spec!

What are you going to do about your returned under performing hot back end now? Back for RMA?

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
Hot backend = short
Whether it is related to the potentiometer doing it's job, or a short directly to/from the body I do not know.
I wish I could get a hold of that backend that blew apart on a user.

Btw: My sons hopper, solid blu lights after 5 days, getting back "repaired" unit today.
My Ti, had to use the condom on 5 for the first week, even got a burn on the inside of my lip, from then on it doesn't get that hot, no conom needed.
I figure it like how a new car has snappy accelleration until it is broke in, then you get normal performance for years while it slowly degrades.
Looks like my Ti is in that normal performance stage, oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:

moondog

.....turn off the TV, turn on the GH!

Good advice. Unfortunately, for me, ti's not just the news. We lost the second of our 17-year old cats a couple of weeks ago - kidney disease - and it's the first time in 37 years together that my wife and I have not had a cat in the house. I really miss that little guy. And my physical condition has deteriorated quite a bit over the last couple of months. Carrying an even heavier than usual load pain-wise lately.

What are you going to do about your returned under performing hot back end now? Back for RMA?

Yeah. I'm going to open another warranty case. Just have to get up the strength.

Mr. Me2

Good advice. Unfortunately, for me, ti's not just the news. We lost the second of our 17-year old cats a couple of weeks ago - kidney disease - and it's the first time in 37 years together that my wife and I have not had a cat in the house. I really miss that little guy. And my physical condition has deteriorated quite a bit over the last couple of months. Carrying an even heavier than usual load pain-wise lately.

Yeah. I'm going to open another warranty case. Just have to get up the strength.
So sorry, @moondog !

I'll offer this fc distraction for you...

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-official-fc-pets-animals-thread.10192/page-169#post-1079839

You may want to start at the beginning...,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@moondog thank you for sharing. I also am sorry for your loss. I've had much loved cats and dogs and know it is tough.

While we may digress or wander from the thread's path, FC affords some relationships we might never otherwise enjoy, and that's a good thing. (Thanks @Mr. Me2 I might have something to post on that thread!)

Now you have me concerned about sleep habits! I've been getting less and less, like down to about 5 hours a night and thought a break might settle that.

Matt Taibbi said Americans now subscribe to and purchase the news we want to hear, from the source that validates us. Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him? "And that's the way it is..."

Hot backends; I gotta believe it's some kind of short, i.e. unintended consequences. Ime, performance may suffer, but only a little. I kept my hot back end through 2 body replacements, but noted it each time (as intermittent) in my warranty dialog. Finally made another claim for both body and back end. New were sent and about two weeks later the new backend acted up. I'm going to wait, since it works, and if body fails or some other reason to "send it all in" I'll bring it up again.

Last edited:

moondog

moon, deepest condolences!

Sounds like you have to get a new cat for some reasons asap! ;)

So sorry, @moondog !

I'll offer this fc distraction for you...

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-official-fc-pets-animals-thread.10192/page-169#post-1079839

You may want to start at the beginning...,

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Yeah, we've got our eye on a little guy at the local shelter. We might go pay him a visit tomorrow. I've got to head out for a bit just now, but I'll be sure to hit that pets thread when I get back, Me2. Thanks!

@moondog thank you for sharing. I also am sorry for your loss. I've had much loved cats and dogs and know it is tough.

While we may digress or wander from the thread's path, FC affords some relationships we might never otherwise enjoy, and that's a good thing. (Thanks @Mr. Me2 I might have something to post on that thread!)

Now you have me concerned about sleep habits! I've been getting less and less, like down to about 5 hours a night and thought a break might settle that.

Matt Taibbi said Americans now subscribe to and purchase the news we want to hear, from the source that validates us. Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him? "And that's the way it is..."

Hot backends; I gotta believe it's some kind of short, i.e. unintended consequences. Ime, performance may suffer, but only a little. I kept my hot back end through 2 body replacements, but noted it each time (as intermittent) in my warranty dialog. Finally made another claim for both body and back end. New were sent and about two weeks later the new backend acted up. I'm going to wait, since it works, and if body fails or some other reason to "send it all in" I'll bring it up again.

Thanks vapviking. Agreed about FC's benefits. I came for the info; I stay for the community.

Obviously, when it comes to hopping and sleep, YMMV. But 5 hours? Damn, I'd be thrilled to death to get that uninterrupted on a regular basis.

Matt Taibbi is a shining light of sanity and truth in a cesspool of nauseating media. Cronkite, Murrow, I fear we shall not see their like again. Rachel Maddow is a miracle. Thank god for her, but I fear she will be forever relegated to "fringe" status by those who prefer their facts to be "alternative".

Last edited:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Perhaps it helps when Don would enter the Hopper train? ;)
But I feel with all americans who didnt elected this horror clown and hope with schadenfeude those who have elected him will pay "great again" for this.
ATM I wouldnt like to live in the US.
But there are a lot of populistic fuckers in the starting gates around the world or already have started. Doom of democracy - Heil autocracy! Sorry for that, I know no politics and OT here but btw...

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy losing a pet, especially one you've had for so long. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues too, hope things get better for you soon.

moondog

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and good wishes. This place is a bright spot in my days even when we get all angsty. Like I said before: Came for the info, stayed for the community.

Perhaps it helps when Don would enter the Hopper train? ;)
But I feel with all americans who didnt elected this horror clown and hope with schadenfeude those who have elected him will pay "great again" for this.
ATM I wouldnt like to live in the US.
But there are a lot of populistic fuckers in the starting gates around the world or already have started. Doom of democracy - Heil autocracy! Sorry for that, I know no politics and OT here but btw...

You don't have to apologize to me, Hogni. I'm right there with ya and I don't mind discussing things other than hoppers with my friends here.

Here's a story I love: There was a left-wing stand up comedian who used to get heckled at his shows for his negative views on US government policy. Someone would always yell at him: "If you hate it here so much, why don't you move?" His consistent response was: "Because then I would be subjected to US foreign policy."

So to you and everyone else living outside these borders: My sincerest apologies for our current lunacy.

If the US had a front door I'd hang a sign on it: "Please excuse the mess while we deal with our current vermin infestation."

Anyway, back to hoppering. Um, I actually don't have anything to say about my hoppers because I've been on a break all week. Oh, wait! I'll be taking my hopper with me tomorrow evening (health permitting) to see the Wood Brothers. Hooray!! I'm looking forward to impressing my friend the Volcano/Pax lover.

VAPEHUNTER

Okey sorry for over posting,? Hyper posting?, addicted posting?

But I can't believe it took me this long to notice THIS
zMoFYgK.jpeg

I cant be the only one :lmao:

Ha Ha, looks like I received a backward labeled battery too.

D26zWDQ.jpg

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
@moondog condolences

Sad to lose a cat that way but bet he/she probably had pleasant years with you and the wife ;)

I and the misses have 3 cats

But also health issue get manageable, hope you get some good energy from this spring!!

Depression I know all to well and now a days I focus 100% on shit that fucks with my hormones and brain chemistry

Pretty much just healthy diet and regular exercise + meditation as in positive reflections and honest judgements off my capabilities

But I only need to deal with "bit" of depression so not trying to "doctors hate him" anyone :wave:

Just saying I understand the work it goes into "working on it" :D

"It", being you

@VAPEHUNTER
Nice! We are in a secret club!

Pharoh

Ditto, Green.. And recently just got the Firewood 4, so methinks the Pax2 will be a thing of the past... unless 2 hoppers and the FW4 all crap out at the same time... in which case, I will have to stop vaping altogether because that's just too creepy.

Pharoh, give it some time....

Rather than add to the already-sufficient suggestions given by our friends here, just keep at it and - barring a malfunctioning device - you will come to understand it. Took me a while, and even currently at times can be perplexing.

One thing: Make sure your herb is DRY. Real dry. Your first draw will be floral and not much cloud production. And the heat, you'll adjust on the MP where your mouth goes. As @Mr. Me2 mentions, choke up on the MP a bit with your lips.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thank you for your suggestions...but ...I've been a friend of Mary Jane for over 50 years...I've used devices you couldn't imagine...I know how to adjust my lips...and trust me this GH bites (gets hot) at mid temp...i will try a lower setting....They supply a silicone mouthpiece for a reason....It's just a hassle to have to put it on and take it off......don't get me wrong I do like the GH..it does deliver a one two punch....It is working fine and doing what it is supposed to be doing.....I've been lucky and never experienced a warranty problem with any of my devices....Mighty, Crafty, FF2, Pax2....

Lou Taylor

Just got my Hopper today! I ordered it on November 17 and was told to expect a December delivery.

It's like a portable E-nano! freaking awesome! As an added bonus the condom works great with my travel master 2000 (stainless steel bong)

So I ordered 3 extra batteries. Is it better to charge everything or just keep 2 in rotation?

Thanks & Make it a Great Day!

AJS

Calm Consistency
I got my Ti Hopper used from @Shit Snacks mid September and it's still running great. Not exactly sure when he got it, but it feels as good as new. Doesn't get daily use, but it's been through it all, low temp seshes up to 45 second rips on temp 5 (courtesy of my friends and their iron lungs). I never take it to 5, but I want them to abuse it to see if she'll take it and she always does.

Only issues she's ever had is when I first got her, she would turn off mid hit sometimes. I cleaned the backend and this issue has stopped for months without ever showing a face again. Couldn't be more satisfied with her progress.

It gets a hot backend which I assume may be as a result of not having a perfectly aligned backend (has a tiny tiny tiny tilt and can slide back n forth just a tad), but it's not always hot and totally manageable.

This thing always rocks, my friends love it and so do i.

Just a success story for you guys.

Last edited:

Gramin

Best improvement on my new body is the mouthpiece threading! There's only about half as many threads, less screwing, and more importantly less area for gunk buildup!

Once my funnel arrives I can see my maintenance being almost nothing for the mouthpiece. I like it gunking up with oil I can go digging for :)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I got my Ti Hopper used from @Shit Snacks mid September and it's still running great. Not exactly sure when he got it, but it feels as good as new. Doesn't get daily use, but it's been through it all, low temp seshes up to 45 second rips on temp 5 (courtesy of my friends and their iron lungs). I never take it to 5, but I want them to abuse it to see if she'll take it and she always does.

Only issues she's every had is when I first got her, she would turn off mid hit sometimes. I cleaned the backend and this issue has stopped for months without ever showing a face again. Couldn't be more satisfied with her progress.

It gets a hot backend which I assume may be as a result of not having a perfectly aligned backend (has a tiny tiny tiny tilt and can slide back n forth just a tad), but it's not always hot and totally manageable.

This thing always rocks, my friends love it and so do i.

Just a success story for you guys.

It finally arrived with its SS brother in May 2016 after I first previous ordered in January 2015 (two Ti were added to my original SS in April when it was all thought to ship that May. One Ti was cancelled by my brother who took my FF, now has it an FF2). Thrilled it is still trucking along for you buddy, meanwhile my third SS body and second back end are still trucking along. I too don't use it too frequently either, it's basically just a weekend water piece, occasionally out and about but not really anymore, especially now that I can just get oil carts for extreme stealth situations.

Nice to see them almost caught up and starting to move on to more development, I'd kill for a mouthpiece with a cooling spiral vapor path (oh I see above less threads now at least? That's good), though still hope we'll see a more redesigned and fully uninhibited Locust some day... Those heat-treated Ti Hoppers they had available immediately at a hefty price are super cool looking, tempting if I had any need.

And yeah this community is fantastic imo, full of some really great people for sure :tup:

JoeMama

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and good wishes. This place is a bright spot in my days even when we get all angsty. Like I said before: Came for the info, stayed for the community.

You don't have to apologize to me, Hogni. I'm right there with ya and I don't mind discussing things other than hoppers with my friends here.

Here's a story I love: There was a left-wing stand up comedian who used to get heckled at his shows for his negative views on US government policy. Someone would always yell at him: "If you hate it here so much, why don't you move?" His consistent response was: "Because then I would be subjected to US foreign policy."

So to you and everyone else living outside these borders: My sincerest apologies for our current lunacy.

If the US had a front door I'd hang a sign on it: "Please excuse the mess while we deal with our current vermin infestation."

Anyway, back to hoppering. Um, I actually don't have anything to say about my hoppers because I've been on a break all week. Oh, wait! I'll be taking my hopper with me tomorrow evening (health permitting) to see the Wood Brothers. Hooray!! I'm looking forward to impressing my friend the Volcano/Pax lover.

First of all, @moondog I'm very sorry for your loss. And for your discomfort; I do hope your pain can be mitigated in some significant way.

I know this isn't the place to vent, but the cognitive dissonance of ignoring potentially tectonic current events is just too weird. This is a global forum, and I will stand with you in your message. I've never in my life been more disheartened by my country's politics and its message to the world.

I hope you can indeed take your Hopper to enjoy the Woods Bros!

Thank you for your suggestions...but ...I've been a friend of Mary Jane for over 50 years...I've used devices you couldn't imagine...I know how to adjust my lips...and trust me this GH bites (gets hot) at mid temp...i will try a lower setting....They supply a silicone mouthpiece for a reason....It's just a hassle to have to put it on and take it off......don't get me wrong I do like the GH..it does deliver a one two punch....It is working fine and doing what it is supposed to be doing.....I've been lucky and never experienced a warranty problem with any of my devices....Mighty, Crafty, FF2, Pax2....

They supply a silicone mouthpiece for a reason, yes. For some the MP gets too hot based on how it's used (dwell time, etc). Personally I'd gotten used to it at any temperature; then again, I,m a one-and-done hitter. Happy Hopping in any case.

Pharoh

First of all, @moondog I'm very sorry for your loss. And for your discomfort; I do hope your pain can be mitigated in some significant way.

I know this isn't the place to vent, but the cognitive dissonance of ignoring potentially tectonic current events is just too weird. This is a global forum, and I will stand with you in your message. I've never in my life been more disheartened by my country's politics and its message to the world.

I hope you can indeed take your Hopper to enjoy the Woods Bros!

They supply a silicone mouthpiece for a reason, yes. For some the MP gets too hot based on how it's used (dwell time, etc). Personally I'd gotten used to it at any temperature; then again, I,m a one-and-done hitter. Happy Hopping in any case.
Thanks! Only need a hit or two to get the job done...but I hang in a take 4 or 5....

Dark grey TI arrived today to assist my SS.
Ordered first week of October. Came with two batteries. Odd, but nice. :)

The TiChillum has been itching to work with a titanium partner.

NR9ljmU.jpg

Who needs fifty shades when you have these two in dark grey.
Nice looking chillum...are those available anywhere? Thanks!

Nice looking chillum...are those available anywhere? Thanks!
Nevermind..i found it..I used this thing called google....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom