Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hawk

What I do know is that IMR batteries don't have a PCB because they are unprotected. These batteries have PCB. Unprotected batteries do not have that disc shape at the top, along with that defined Groove around the circumference of the positive end. IMO and from my professional experience in the battery industry, they are standard protected lithium ion.

I have about 25 IMR batteries at home for my e-cigs. All of them have that groove. And when taken apart they usually have a plastic disc. Here is a pic from my e-cig battery, IMR and with the groove.

https://goo.gl/photos/ioebgLDizkLf5ZUT9

Mr Mellish

Don't look now but I think our cultural bent is showing.

"Do you think the Ti hopper is more prone to problems than the SS because it does not conduct electricity as well? IIRC the GH uses it's body to transfer current"- @jjl5590
I, for one, have no idea!

So far, my Ti seems the better behaved of the two. It does not get crazy ass hot like the SS. Might be a warranty issue but I just sent my Crafty in to try to get it evaluated/updated by S&B and I can't keep cutting back on my devices.

UnshavenFish

Unprotected batteries do not have that disc shape at the top, along with that defined Groove around the circumference of the positive end.

All of my unprotected cells have that disk shape with groove, it's what holds the PTC and CID in place which is what stopped the GB in the posted link exploding (I know wrong word really).

All of my protected cells have the PCB on the outside with the board on the bottom and then running up to an additional top cap.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
but for the most part I enjoy it as my only 3D printed thing.
Ahem . . . . Not the ONLY thing. Don't forget the one thing that makes all this fun possible - I'm talking about the 3d printed heater inside your Grasshopper of course! :cool:

Such an ingenious design.

That is definitely the most impressive 3d printed item that I own! :2c:

:peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
How are you supposed to do a burn off? Do you just set it to max temp and inhale without anything in it?
Whoa! Dude!
Burn off is to detect and/or get rid of any bad stuff before you ever inhale from the device.
Other styles may vary, but with hopper I've been doing as you say, with empty chamber, set it to max temp., turn on and let it cycle until it atuo-off's. Then a couple more times. In between I open up and blow gently, also try to tell if there is any smell coming out of there. So far, for the several pieces I've done, I haven't noticed the slightest bad smell, so actually burn off has seemed unnecessary. But I believe it's always a prudent move with a new device.
Some folks incorporate a cleaning with iso alcohol as SOP with new device. I don't usually do that with the hopper.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It'll get plenty hot all around where it needs to be hot.
I suppose the safe answer to the question might be, go ahead and blow into the air inlet holes** (where the lights are) as it heats, if anything. But don't breathe any of the first fumes outta the thing; that would defeat the purpose of the burn off.
And I think HL discourages blowing into the Hopper, like, anywhere.
Don't over think this, just run the thing once or twice before you suck on it, then use it to help you forget all about that part!

Edit:
** I'm being a little facetious. I do not recommend blowing into the air inlets!

vapviking,
Reactions: moondog

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
October Update

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for checking in on another Hopper Labs update. October was a great month! We’ve been very productive, moving all of December and January pre-orders out the door, getting new test rigs online, and hosting a visit from one of our major suppliers.

We estimated that we would get all the January, February, and March 2016 pre-orders shipped in October. Unfortunately, we were only able to get as far as the January and February pre-orders. We have sent address confirmation emails to all February pre-orders and we anticipate filling these remaining orders quickly as we have these units built and tested. March 2016 pre-orders will receive address confirmations next week.

img_2832.94eeeeb21e7f.jpg

During October, a large amount of time was spent developing a new testing machine. Matt and Trevor focused on designing and building a new machine that tests all of the components within the Grasshopper Body. Previously, these components were tested individually, by hand. We can now cycle test over 250 Grasshopper Body components at once. This development is important because it greatly reduces testing time while ensuring we catch more failures before shipping. Each unit now is tested for over 2000 on/off cycles before it is shipped.

We have already seen the number of warranty requests drop significantly since implementing the new test machine, and we anticipate those numbers to continue to decrease. Even though we have more Grasshoppers in the wild than ever before, the warranty numbers are rapidly decreasing!

img_2797.3e94ab32713e.jpg

We have been waiting for quite some time now to receive a new batch of Leather Sleeves. We greatly appreciate everyone's patience as we've worked with our supplier in getting these back in stock. Right now, we anticipate having those in-stock in December and will ship them out to all the folks who did not receive it yet as soon as we receive them.

As always, we appreciate your loyalty and realize that you have many options when it comes to a portable vaporizer. We thank you for sharing our vision and for seeing what is truly special about the pure convection that the Grasshopper offers. We thank you for hanging in there with us during the extended wait to receive your pre-order. We, at Hopper Labs, are confident you will find the Grasshopper to be worth the wait.

The Grasshopper Team

Lahey

Cruisin'
Just checking in. I am still floored with my two hoppers. I use both everyday.

I've had my first hopper, SS from vapefiend, for a little over 6 months.
A little after the 4 month mark, I did end up filing a warranty request.
It wasn't turning on when clicked, or would turn on and right back off.
They sent me a new body, and it was only about 4 days from request to receipt.
Working as new since then.

I was very lucky, because my second hopper, Ti pre-order, arrived exactly 3 days before the sudden failure of my SS. So the fact that I have not been without a hopper this whole time probably softens my attitude a little bit. But with a 4 day turn-around, I think I would have been just fine either way. They took good care of me, great customer service IME.

Second hopper working flawlessly but have only had it a little over 2 months, so who knows. At any rate, I have faith that they are continuing to iron all the bugs out, I have confidence in the overall integrity of the company and that I will continue to be taken care of, and I found the warranty process pretty painless, so I'm a happy camper.

Office_Printer

Actually, you should never use an unprotected STANDARD LITHIUM ION cell in an e-cigarette. It doesn't matter if the device has protection, the cell needs its own protection in case something happens internally. Yes the device can regulate how much current is drawn from the battery, but just in case something goes wrong with the battery itself, it needs an emergency shut-off mechanism.

You are correct about using protected cells with very low resistance atomizers. A protected cell might not provide enough juice required to operate with such low resistance and high current. That is why if you use an unprotected cell, you should use some sort of lithium manganese battery. Lithium-manganese batteries do not need protection because they are a very stable chemistry, and can safely provide High currents.

I was specifically talking about standard lithium ion. Lithium ion is not stable. As a matter of fact when shipping large quantities of standard lithium ion you have to fill out special paperwork and follow very specific procedures because the chemistry is relatively unstable compared to others.

Personally, I don't care what the e-cigarette guys do with their batteries because I used to work in the industry and I used to sell batteries to e-cigarette companies directly. I have seen/heard people use unprotected cells incorrectly and have their device blow up in their mouth. Shrapnel, dude. As a matter of fact, people that I used to work with have testified in court in such cases on behalf the company. Of course the fault will always fall on the end-user for being negligent and using unprotected cells in their e-cigarette.

Personally, I do not think GHL should be using standard lithium ion at all. PCB is known to fail too. It would have made much more sense to use a lithium manganese instead. They operate at a much higher amperage, have better capacity, more charge cycles, are a very safe chemistry, and do not require any type of protection. I believe that they are also more tolerant to temperature changes, but I'd have to second check that off the top of my head. Unfortunately, this chemistry is more expensive and would probably cost more than they would want to spend when you factor in their proprietary battery size. I hope they come out with a lithium manganese model at some point.
Is an IMR chemistry battery used in ecigs considered a "standard lithium ion"?
Which 20-30A batteries do you recommend for ecigs?

Every battery event I have heard of came from pulling too many amps from the battery, dead short caused by torn battery wraps, and dead short caused by batteries in pockets with keys/loose change. All user error IMHO.

Michel

I think that confirms it, I'll be returning my Hopper to HL and buy one from Vapefiend (albeit with the v1 charger)

I purchased both my hoppers from www.verdampftnochmal.de . The 2nd one I bought came with the new charger and the new GHB2 batteries. They are legit and do handle warranty for HL. My first hopper (plain Ti) failed and verdampftnochmal will handle the warranty and change it against a colored Ti of my choice but only because they are out of plain Ti warranty parts. I'm not going to complain at all, I love the look of the anodized Ti's!

If you are living in the U.K. you probably still want to go with vapefiend. If you live in the EU you might consider verdampftnochmal.de. If so they have a 10% coupon "DEA-100-verdampftnochmal" you man want to use. Don't forget they have additional GHB2 batteries on stock...

Hawk

Is an IMR chemistry battery used in ecigs considered a "standard lithium ion"?
Which 20-30A batteries do you recommend for ecigs?

Every battery event I have heard of came from pulling too many amps from the battery, dead short caused by torn battery wraps, and dead short caused by batteries in pockets with keys/loose change. All user error IMHO.

IMR, ICR, INR, etc are all Li-ion cell batteries. IMR's are safe chemestry. li-ion's like ICR that are not safe chemistry tend to have protected circuits in them because their venting can be catastrophic. In the e-cig world whether you are using a mechanical mod or regulated mod IMR's are the way to go. Most vape shops will only stock IMR batteries. And yes most times its user error but sometimes its a bad mod. I remember one e-cig mod, can't remember the name, that was built so shabby they were known to vent batteries.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Used part of @DDave 's Milaana mod as a bubbler for the Grasshopper. Works way better than I thought it would.
That second hit...even though in the video it doesn't look like it...was absolutely ridiculous. It was thicker than smoke, more like an E-Cig type vapor, and had me hunched over for a bit. I was going to do way more hits...but that one...wow.

MoltenTiger

I believe fuschia or purple to be more correct than pink as there's no green LED, though hot pink and fuschia are practically synonymous, so you know, no need for an argument there :ko:
The devices I work with have green and red LEDs, which when combined makes an orange. It's a little trippy, like the colour yellow on an LCD. Some newer devices we have in development have RGBs, which are snazzy but without good diffusion through a light pipe the colour mixes aren't amazing.
Anyways,
https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/52i09v/solid_purple_lights_of_death/?
There's been a few cases of purple lights and it seems to usually require a replacement body via warranty..

Such an ingenious design
I can't believe I forgot about my laser sintered hot air device! :doh:
That's a true 3D printed revelation that I would rate 9.5/10 as a definite must buy :)

The v2 charger looks exactly like their original charger when they proposed the GH at $99
The original design had all circuitry in the device (no brick on the cable) and didn't pivot (guided) when disconnecting (or connecting) which minimises any magnetic forces putting undue stress on the back end assembly.

Speaking of undue stresses potentially causing errors, I've noticed a few times when I've been blu-tacking, if you 'bend' the dial/clip from the threads, the resulting tension/compression can make some loud internal clicks.
It's probably advisable to use minimal force when cleaning the back-ends, just in case something gives way. It's also unnecessary to use much force as blu-tack is amply adhesive.

Hammahead

I have a bad feeling about this

... and still do. It worked fine last night, first and second trial everything splendid, hour later I had the sensor damage police lights when starting. Pressed the button twice: normal heat up, normal function. Hopper Labs flow chart says when this happens "every start" it should be sent in. I'm not sure what to do as it's not showing this every time. Am I filing a warranty case right now or wait til it stops working at all? I kind of wish we'd never met... reminds me of that girl we all knew one time, the more you get to know her, the more totally unbearable features you discover, but there's this one thing, no one ever did and never will do, like she did. Okay.... apparently I'm way too attached to that thing...

CapitalFlower

Used part of @DDave 's Milaana mod as a bubbler for the Grasshopper. Works way better than I thought it would.
That second hit...even though in the video it doesn't look like it...was absolutely ridiculous. It was thicker than smoke, more like an E-Cig type vapor, and had me hunched over for a bit. I was going to do way more hits...but that one...wow.

What bubbler is that? It looks like the one you get with the Pinnacle Pro.

Also what are you using to pack the GH?

CapitalFlower,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
From the Oct. Update:
"Each unit now is tested for over 2000 on/off cycles before it is shipped."
Got a new body two days ago. I guess it was on it's 2002nd cycle the lights went pink? And it won't charge a battery. Puts out nice vapor...

and,
"We can now cycle test over 250 Grasshopper Body components at once."
This doesn't even count Back End Parts!
This is an impressive development. But given my current sarcastic mood it just makes me think, "OMG that's a lot that can go wrong."
One reason I have loved old cars is their simplicity. I recently sold a '65 Volvo that, for example, didn't even have a printed circuit anywhere in it. Fewer things to go wrong. I'm feeling like every time I use a Hopper it's like firing up the Space Shuttle for a trip to the market.

Strange but true, even with all this, I still really, really like these things.

Kermitt

... and still do. It worked fine last night, first and second trial everything splendid, hour later I had the sensor damage police lights when starting. Pressed the button twice: normal heat up, normal function. Hopper Labs flow chart says when this happens "every start" it should be sent in. I'm not sure what to do as it's not showing this every time. Am I filing a warranty case right now or wait til it stops working at all? I kind of wish we'd never met... reminds me of that girl we all knew one time, the more you get to know her, the more totally unbearable features you discover, but there's this one thing, no one ever did and never will do, like she did. Okay.... apparently I'm way too attached to that thing...
I would wait till the GH is dead.

I think the police lights and other problems mostly a kind of contact problems. If some things wrong with my GH, I fixed it every time. Using blu tack, turn the tempdial many times etc.

At least I could "repair" my GH again and again.

Lately, i turn the tempdial every time i change the battery. Since then there are no more Problems.

If you send your Hopper in, and your GH works fine while testing, you get it back whithout any troubleshooting/repair.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Am I filing a warranty case right now or wait til it stops working at all?
At the risk of sending her in too early & getting a no fault foumd response, I would keep on keeping on and run her into the ground! Yeah bro, I'd wait until you're getting some sort of relatively consistent failure before filing that warranty request :2c:

:peace:

**EDIT**
@Kermitt beat me to it. But yeah, what he said . . .

Top Bottom