Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
http://delta3dstudios.com/silicone-reducer-18-14mm/

I put that on top of the Grasshopper instead of the silicon mouthpiece and then it fits right into the turbine no problem.
Thanks!
I'm going to get one of those. Simple.
I've also just learned that the NU SonG-Large adapter is a good fit on the Hopper, it will fit into either 14mm or 18mm female glass joints, so I'll be ordering one of those, too!

http://delta3dstudios.com/nearly-universal-vape-to-waterpipe-adapter-large/

Conduction vs. convection is purely talking about the thermal transfer from the heater to cannabis.
In the hopper, it is entirely convection. The heater heats up to the temperature selected, which is 130-210°C. Due to its state of the art production method, the heater has a complex shape which offers a surface area large enough to conduct to the air passing through it the same temperature, we then rely on this air to transfer to the cannabis the same temperature. Once the heater, air and herb are in equilibrium (at the selected temperature), the maximum vaporisation rate will occur to material viable at the selected temperature.
Around the chamber of the hopper is highly thermal resistive material, this, coupled with the spiralling nature of the air as it spins through the chamber, allows this equilibrium to happen rapidly, and the result is a very consistent and tasty vapour.
None of the system exceeds the temperature selected, and so it is extremely evenly applied.
(It's also important to avoid making your mouth part of the system, can burn)

A conduction oven will produce hot spots and won't be as efficient or consistent in flavour.
It will require stirring.

The different dynamics of cooking the cannabis produces unique signatures, and no two devices will be exactly alike. Flavour is an adaptable, personal attribute.

Personally, I much prefer clean, consistent flavour, which the hopper does nicely.
However, as it's so rapid to cook cannabis, subsequent hits will be noticeably less tasty.
Some herb can taste pretty rancid once it's been pre-cooked.

The Mighty, which is a 30/70 (guess) conduction/convection device does not suffer from this 'pre-cooked' taste degradation, and flavour wise that is the most amazing vape I've used.
The Pax 1/2 are nearly entirely conduction, and after tasting convection did not tickle my fancy.
My MFLB tastes like scorched wood.
The EQ is also a 30/70 conduction/convection, but it's a bit weak in flavour.
The hopper can produce very dense vapour comparatively, and the concentration really amps up flavour response. The concentration also gets you way higher, way faster.
I very much like this summary, well done!
Having a Pax2, a Mighty and now Hopper infestation, this all rings true. I agree the Hopper's extraction is faster and more thorough/concentrated. In light of this, any comparisons one might make about "how many hits I get" from given vapes become moot.
I think the thorough/faster extraction is even true at mid-range temperatures (extraction of things available at said temp, that is). It's hard to build up momentum like a session vape would, 'cause the goods are all gone pretty darn early in the game.

Mr.Sifter

what cases do you use for your spare hopper batteries ?
They seem to have an uncommon form factor.

Mr.Sifter,

Vapor Loop

what cases do you use for your spare hopper batteries ?
They seem to have an uncommon form factor.

I use the same cases i use for two 18650 batteries, They can fit three Hopper batteries a piece.
I also carry an empty for spent batteries since they go so fast.

Vapor Loop,
Reactions: moondog

jabba

Just a couple of random thoughts...particularly for those who may be having 'issues':

(1) The Hopper does not perform at peak towards the end of its battery life and/or at lower battery level. Without the red dead battery light...the last few pulls prior to dead battery...you could think to yourself "this thing isn't working very well". This is not a device where if the battery is alive....the device performs same across the spectrum of battery life remaining. This holds true with both of my Hoppers.

(2) This should go without saying...particularly for cloud chasers. Varying material types...and varying moisture content within varying material types significantly changes the volume of vapor production. My Hopper consistently provides expected inconsistent results dependent upon the varying materials packed within :)

My Hoppers perform very very well and I'd hate to be without. I really really like the GH. The GH certainly has its issues attested through countless posts. Some of the 'issues' that I read about could simply be lack of experience with the device, material(s), or battery level. Of course, other reported issues are clearly and in fact 'issues'...I don't intend to belittle the actual issues that are undeniable. A working Hopper is a really wonderful thing.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I must say I've been on a oil run since that's what I can get at my dispensary. Then after a week of not having my grasshopper (sensor light damage) and simultaneously getting some medicinal from Maine, I can unequivocally state the grasshopper is amazing. I love this thing. Truly incredible.

Since I'm a medicinal user it's great to just go out for a quick walk at lunch with my "pen" :-)

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Aren't you a little bit to old for such a childlike design of these Doob Tubes? ;)

After several months of waiting for a reliable version of the GH I have decide to buy one as a X-masgift for my gf here in Berlin at 'verdampftnochmal'. This shop is 20 minutes away from here.They have GHs in stock nearly all the time.
Two years of Gewährleistung (a kind of vendor warranty) will preserve me for sending the GH on my costs back to GHL during this time. In 2 years there hopefully will be a reliable version - thx lifetime warranty!

Next year a friend of mine will bring me along some of my desired gadgets from @Ratchett (leather case, Doob tubes, Mini-Funnel, Universaladapter etc.) from the US.

Up to then I will buy this leather case for my gf. Finest vegetable tanned leather, nature colored, handcrafted in real 'Made in Germany' quality and very well organized. Built for eternity.
It will look so awesome after a few years of growing patina.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWhisper

Aren't you a little bit to old for such a childlike design of these Doob Tubes? ;)

One is never too old for pretty colors!

More seriously, nobody but me ever sees them, so I don't feel the need to have more sophisticated looking containers. This is an instance where cheap price + effectiveness > style + higher price.

TheWhisper,
Reactions: moondog

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Doob Tubes are my preferred method of short term storage and transport of pre-ground cannabis. They work great for loading the Grasshopper, you can load directly from the tube or shake some in the cap and load from there.

The plain Doob Tubes that delta3dstudios.com has are awesome, and not childish at all:

IMG_7207__72595.1446150620.1280.1280.JPG

I like the black ones:

IMG_7424__70543.1466110969.1280.1280.JPG

The ones I see more commonly in head shops do indeed have childish designs on them:

DoobTubesDT-2.jpg

Baron23

There are some Hopper battery related things at this store, also a maker of silicone adapters, etc. It is in US.
http://delta3dstudios.com/portable-vaporizer-accessories/grasshopper-vaporizer/
Delta 3D Studios is a regular contributor to FC (@Ratchett) and makes great stuff. I, personally, like to support the complex small business vaping ecosystem we seem to be growing and the products are great and useful.

Personally I like the battery caps versus the sleeves and that's only because I have found the silicone sleeves a bit difficult to get on/off and the caps are super easy. You may not have this issue with the sleeves. They are beautifully made and fit the GH batteries like a glove. I just find the caps easier on my old hands.

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-caps-pair/

vapeOR

Delta 3D Studios is a regular contributor to FC (@Ratchett) and makes great stuff. I, personally, like to support the complex small business vaping ecosystem we seem to be growing and the products are great and useful.

Personally I like the battery caps versus the sleeves and that's only because I have found the silicone sleeves a bit difficult to get on/off and the caps are super easy. You may not have this issue with the sleeves. They are beautifully made and fit the GH batteries like a glove. I just find the caps easier on my old hands.

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-caps-pair/

I agree Delta 3D Studios makes great vape accessories! I love the funnel and the pyramid stand.

However, my old hands have a much easier time with the sleeves than the caps. I guess it's a personal thing.

As inexpensive as they are, I figured there'd be times I wanna carry just 1 battery & others when I'd want to keep a bunch organized, so I got caps and 3-battery sleeve. I find I use the sleeves at home & the caps when out.

JoeMama

I was going to mention this, I noticed the larger holes with my most recent replacement.
If they're CNC'd they could have just been mass batch and produced closer to a tool change.
Or they could just have refined the process, whatever it may be, with closer tolerances in width. It's a very small difference, probably 0.05mm, but the bigger holes fill with herb more noticeably, and the blue heater beneath is clearly visible, as is the LED emittance below it.

What I can't understand is how this is a good thing from the point of view of small particles dropping onto the heater. Heater goes on, "melts" material, tiny resins stay behind, then burns off?? Maybe it isn't ever an issue, and I certainly get the larger holes idea for airflow...

I have two seemingly fully dead batteries. It took about 8 months, and whilst others of the same age are noticeably shitty now, they're still going. I'll be swapping my SS case funds and getting a new batch before the years out. Hopefully GHB2s are an improvement.

For me, since mid-July I've used a full battery per day (this is of course over 4 batteries rotated, but each battery gets one "full use" per day). No signs of degradation yet.

So Molten, based on what you wrote, I'll estimate 6 months can be considered a "usable lifespan" for a battery. So that's two batteries per year, multiplied of course by the number of batteries in use at a time. So for me, that's 8 batteries a year. Sixty bucks. Meh, I can live with that!

I use Doob Tubes. I cut a foam earplug in half and put one half in each end of the tube for padding :D

Why, that IS a pretty good idea, TheWhisper! I do use Ratchett's triple and quad battery thingies, but the doobtube serves well for that slimmer profile. Thanks for that!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Yesterday I heard back about my SS unit, they're sending me a new body. That was within a one business day response time, so kudos to them for that! :tup:

I got my Ti back today. It came with a GHB2 battery along with the old GHB1 I sent it with. That's pretty sweet, it cost less than $3 to mail my Grasshopper to Hopper Labs. A new battery is $7 + $3.50 shipping. Another point for the warranty department!

Even after spending money to ship back my old SS body when I get the new one, I'll still be ahead by a few bucks. This is relatively painless so far, as long as this doesn't become a common occurrence I have no complaints at all.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Yesterday I heard back about my SS unit, they're sending me a new body. That was within a one business day response time, so kudos to them for that! :tup:

I got my Ti back today. It came with a GHB2 battery along with the old GHB1 I sent it with. That's pretty sweet, it cost less than $3 to mail my Grasshopper to Hopper Labs. A new battery is $7 + $3.50 shipping. Another point for the warranty department!

Even after spending money to ship back my old SS body when I get the new one, I'll still be ahead by a few bucks. This is relatively painless so far, as long as this doesn't become a common occurrence I have no complaints at all.
Just to add to the kudos: I got my address confirmation email today!! (:clap::clap:) I sent Caroline an email with a couple of questions and I got a succinct informative response within an hour and on what I'm assuming is a high traffic day with all the confirmation emails that apparently went out today.

Thank you Caroline and GHL.

JoeMama

@Vapor_Eyes I'm glad to hear of such a solid thumbs-up experience with them. And the GHB2 battery is a really nice gesture. I hope they continue to win our confidences as they grow up to be a roundly favored name in the market of high quality vapes.

Just to add to the kudos: I got my address confirmation email today!! (:clap::clap:) I sent Caroline an email with a couple of questions and I got a succinct informative response within an hour and on what I'm assuming is a high traffic day with all the confirmation emails that apparently went out today.

Thank you Caroline and GHL.

This isn't your first hopper is it, Moondog?

MoltenTiger

So Molten, based on what you wrote, I'll estimate 6 months can be considered a "usable lifespan" for a battery.

I think 8 months fits the bill. What I didn't realise before is, I had one initial battery from Vapefiend, a couple of weeks later, I got 5 spare with a warranty replaced charger. Then when I sent my unit away, sans battery, it came back with one, then I got an additional one with my pre-order unit but I gave the extra free one away.
I marked them all, and it is the original and the worst of the 5 that are now dead. I would assume they got north of 100 cycles each.
I'll probably aim to have a rotation of 5 good batteries, so we'll see how long it takes to dip below that figure. As it is, there is noticeable degradation but nothing too bad, they all still cook a chamber or two.
My dead ones report as flat in the hopper and charged in my basic LED charger. One of them could have also been recently and viscously dropped on tiles, unsure if that played a part.

What I can't understand is how this is a good thing from the point of view of small particles dropping onto the heater. Heater goes on, "melts" material, tiny resins stay behind, then burns off?? Maybe it isn't ever an issue, and I certainly get the larger holes idea for airflow...
I guess it might be easier to fill with particles, but it should also be easier to clean.
It's a very small difference and it has me thinking if the smaller holes got gunked up, it's possible that impedance to airflow could have cooked my sensors before (its happened at least twice and I cleaned very infrequently). I will clean more frequently now I can see what there is to be removed.

Just to add to the kudos: I got my address confirmation email today!! (:clap::clap:)
Awwwwwwwwww yiss !

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
8l5Dziu.jpg
I just store my batteries in a bag, works for me.
My friend keeps his two spares in the heavy-duty ziplock they came in
Hey there bro, I just want to highlight this as I would always advise against the practice of storing loose batteries with exposed positive & negative contacts in a bag - due to the possibility of creating a 'short', & therefore a potentially dangerous situation.

If not held in a fitting case, make sure your batteries have end-caps, or the contacts are taped up - if they are stored loosely together.

The danger is real. So ALWAYS remember, battery safety first, folks!

68bwQyP.jpg

Hop On.
:peace:

MoltenTiger

Hey there bro, I just want to highlight this as I would always advise against the practice of storing loose batteries with exposed positive & negative contacts in a bag - due to the possibility of creating a 'short', & therefore a potentially dangerous situation.
Nice pics man :)
Hoppers on the beach are the best

I hear your concerns regarding the batteries, and I should probably clarify.
The bag I keep them in is a small velvet pouch that came with the MFLB.
Unlike the MFLB, the GH batteries are wrapped, so they are fairly safe in the bag together.
This is not total risk avoidance, but the batteries can't move during transport (or really at all) so it's therefore safe enough.
Cheers

Top Bottom