Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I have been trying to figure out my new TI,
So far I'm not feeling it.
Starts up fine, load what seems to be a half plus load, set temp to 3.5 and then basically nothing.
I get a hint of a taste, no hint of vapor. Taste isn't that great.
Tried all types of draw patterns, no difference.
I know something is going on, but nowhere what I was expecting.
Tried different type at higher Temps, but it was too harsh, but manged a hint of vapor.
I'm not looking for clouds, just a little affirmation.
Then recharged the battery, using stock charger, to see maybe there wasn't enough juice out if the box to work properly.

Any thoughts?
Alan
It sounds like you have a defective Grasshopper. That's what my Ti started doing after a month of normal performance. I never got any error lights, but I sent it in and they replaced the backend. I haven't got it back yet.

My four month old SS just did the slow red/blue flash for the second time. I did the backend twist and temp dial fix and it's working again for the moment. I don't expect that to last, time to file its first warranty claim.

flyfishwino

It sounds like you have a defective Grasshopper. That's what my Ti started doing after a month of normal performance. I never got any error lights, but I sent it in and they replaced the backend. I haven't got it back yet.

My four month old SS just did the slow red/blue flash for the second time. I did the backend twist and temp dial fix and it's working again for the moment. I don't expect that to last, time to file its first warranty claim.

Tried new battery, new bowl.
At 3.5, basically same results
Turned up to 4.2, hot, burnt taste a bit of vapor, not pleasant

flyfishwino,

radiant34

Starts up fine, load what seems to be a half plus load, set temp to 3.5 and then basically nothing.
Tried different type at higher Temps, but it was too harsh, but manged a hint of vapor.
Then recharged the battery, using stock charger, to see maybe there wasn't enough juice out if the box to work properly.

Any thoughts?
Alan

if by harsh you mean hot, and you ended up getting a hint of vapor, it could be the flowers. And what do you mean by taste isn't great? Like does it taste like robot farts? or could it be just the taste of the flowers? i find taste to be great at around 2.5, (atleast the first 4 hits anyways)

MoltenTiger

I agree completely, except... I don't find the vapor harsh. I wonder if that's because I almost never go above 3. There are many other factors , of course, including material. I just don't find it harsh. Not as flavorful as I would like after the 1st pull on a fresh load, but for me, not harsh.
It's just a relevant vapour signature, I feel it's fair to call it harsh. Harshness can be enjoyed, or detested.
The relevancy is, if you select the same temperature on a different device you most likely won't get a direct injection of rapidly vaporised terpenes and oils. A lot of these volatiles get trapped in the more complex and sizeable vapour pathways of other devices (or take more time to excite), there's nothing to stop them with the hopper. On top of that, the heater is convection and centimetres from the mouth, so it's relatively hot vapour for the same reasons.

It's certainly tolerable, but even still, it takes some getting used to before it's comfortable. If it's properly cooled it is a much less harsh experience, but it's nice to be able to control the extent it's smoothed. It starts off full fuelled and through smaller bubblers really feels like smoke. The harshness is a feature, one that's adaptable but also a sign of efficient extraction and minimal waste.

tubasco

Any thoughts?
Alan
I'm guessing that by "load what seems to be a half plus load" you tamped it down somewhat.

I get best results from zero tamping. As in is sprinkle a rough shred into mine, and it ends up not being much at all...barely a small pinch. That's how I get the best results. If you can't get medicated well from that method then I agree: your hopper is malfunctioning.

Mr Mellish

I get best results from zero tamping. As in is sprinkle a rough shred into mine, and it ends up not being much at all...barely a small pinch. That's how I get the best results. If you can't get medicated well from that method then I agree: your hopper is malfunctioning.

My process is similar except I've just been pulling off nug and I fill to 3/4. There is plenty of air space in my chamber. Clouds? Plenty at 3.

JoeMama

I admit to being a bit of a snob when it comes to convection, but I do have some conduction vapes too and I enjoy the different effects conduction brings to the table.

I completely agree with Vapor_eyes. While there are plenty of good conduction vapes, convection is a huge step up for me.

I must concur. After using Vaporbrothers and miVape vapes for a good long time, I've spent the last few weeks using a Focus Pro. The Focus is a great piece of kit and I enjoy it immensely, but while using it I've come to realize that for me, convection is where it's at for a few reasons, most important of which are taste and efficiency.

Ditto.... for me, convection seems to give me the purest sense of the herb. The difference between conduction and convection, for me, is a quite noticeable effect. The hopper is my fiull-duty vape every day (Pax2 is in the drawer); but the FW4 might make a better at-home or session device at some point. But yeah, convection is ideal.

Any thoughts?
Alan

Along with other inputs you've had from our esteemed peeps here.... I guess it does sound like the hopper isn't functioning right, but I will add that if your herb is moist, it could produce similar symptoms. The driest herb works the best.

Last edited:

tylerj55

Soooo I got my replacement body in today and my mouthpiece doesn't fit. I had a TI from one of the first VapeFiend releases. Do you think they have changed since then or did they send me a SS body?

tylerj55,

MoltenTiger

Soooo I got my replacement body in today and my mouthpiece doesn't fit. I had a TI from one of the first VapeFiend releases. Do you think they have changed since then or did they send me a SS body?
There has been a bit of a change. How badly doesn't it fit? Does it screw on at all?

My first replacement body had slight alignment differences, but the one that replaced it is a different grade of Ti (guess) but fits snug

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: moondog

tubasco

Same thing just happened to me. I wrote them about it and Caroline sent a new front end which will be here Tuesday. I'm sending both the faulty body and old (differently threaded) front end in the same return package.

EDIT: my old front end doesn't even start to catch the threads of the new body they sent. Looks like the new bodies have more threads at the front (by the oven) than the old ones did.

MoltenTiger

Same thing just happened to me. I wrote them about it and Caroline sent a new front end which will be here Tuesday. I'm sending both the faulty body and old (differently threaded) front end in the same return package.

EDIT: my old front end doesn't even start to catch the threads of the new body they sent. Looks like the new bodies have more threads at the front (by the oven) than the old ones did.
How old is your front end?

It's possible they've changed it, how annoying!
I would take a close look at the threads on the body to make sure they look fine, my mouthpiece from the start of this year fits the current body. I feel like I've heard of your issue before if it's a model from last year though

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: moondog

tubasco

How old is your front end?

It's possible they've changed it, how annoying!
I would take a close look at the threads on the body to make sure they look fine, my mouthpiece from the start of this year fits the current body. I feel like I've heard of your issue before if it's a model from last year though

I've been on my original hopper from mid January 2016. This is my first parts swap.

My OG front end's threads most definitely doesn't fit this new body's threads.

btka

I got my replacement ss body last week and observed that the screen in the body before the heater has bigger holes in it.. I can see theblue heater behind it... works great.. but alsomgot a ti replacement which has the screen with smaller holes can not see the heater trough it... (also my orginal ghs ss and ti have the screen with the smaller holes)... any suggestions... did they used the mouthpiece screen in my ss gh replacment body? should this be a problem? but the new ss gh seem to produce vapor faster... no prime draw needed... thought this is because of the screen with bigger holes...

warranty was total stress free and worked great, fast and total stress free BTW and the gh is my daily driver all other vapes also my loved nano are collecting dust or are to find in the classified section on fc... the gh is a real game changer in my opinion!

I ♡ my ghs

BTW also my front ends are fitting precisely to my replacement bodies got my original ghs on 6th june 2016

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I got my replacement ss body last week and observed that the screen in the body before the heater has bigger holes in it.. I can see theblue heater behind it... works great.. but alsomgot a ti replacement which has the screen with smaller holes can not see the heater trough it... (also my orginal ghs ss and ti have the screen with the smaller holes)... any suggestions... did they used the mouthpiece screen in my ss gh replacment body? should this be a problem? but the new ss gh seem to produce vapor faster... no prime draw needed... thought this is because of the screen with bigger holes...

warranty was total stress free and worked great, fast and total stress free BTW and the gh is my daily driver all other vapes also my loved nano are collecting dust or are to find in the classified section on fc... the gh is a real game changer in my opinion!

I ♡ my ghs

BTW also my front ends are fitting precisely to my replacement bodies got my original ghs on 6th june 2016
I'm guessing you're gonna email Caroline at ghl and ask about the different screens in your 2 gh bodies? Can you let us know what she says?

I'm curious if they made another design change...

Mr.Sifter

can somebody in short words explain to me the difference in vapor experience between conduction and convection ?

i know,
conduction is heat transmission through hot surfaces whereas convection is pure hot airstream.

but how does the vapor quality differ ?

Last edited:
Mr.Sifter,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
can somebody in short words explain to me the difference in vapor experience between conduction and convection ?

i know,
conduction is heat transmission through hot surfaces whereas convection is pure hot airstream.

I'm sure others will be able to speak more eloquently to this than I can, but my short answer is that with convection you can really taste the herb through those first couple of hits. With my miVape, I could taste the difference between different strains. It really adds another nice dimension to the experience. With conduction, I find that the "taste" of the heat (if that makes sense) overwhelms the actual taste of the herb. Hope this helps.

Mr.Sifter

i can taste flavour with conduction (solo & air)

imho better taste than mighty (which is supossed to be a convection vape)

same herb in all three vapes

Mr.Sifter,

Mr. Me2

Your Mighty is a blended convection/conduction vape. I admit I'm surprised you find the flavor better in your solo and air over your Mighty. I wonder if you would improve the Mighty's flavor by lowering its temperature.

btka

do not know but I would rather say the mighty/crafty is a hybrid conduction/convection vape... also the mighty/crafty is more a session vape mainly because it need more then one mInute to heat up... so heat is stored.. try to empty the bowl of mighty in between session and try to touch the sides of the bowl with your finger but beware of burning your fingers... whereas the gh needs 5 sec. to warm up and you normaly shut it off after taking a draw so it is mainly convection I would say.... my gh tastes better then my crafty in my opinion.... also better then arizer air or solo... but that could be very user specific e.g. temps used, use of glass, prefered size of cloudsand so on (a lot of variables)... but the way I use it is like i descibed it before...

@Mr. Me2 if I remember right someone else mentioned months ago that he observed that his heater screen holes are bigger in this thread... thought the screens of mouthpiece and body are different but as far as I can see they are the same... also the screen of my ti body which I recived one week earlier then my ss body replacement has the screen with smaller holes... but maybe it is a illusion... do not want bother caroline with this... as long as it performs and is working...

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

i know,

I don't think vapor quality differences are only because one vape is conduction and the other is convection.

I'm guessing, but think that flavor may be more impacted by materials used in the vape (what is the oven and air path made of), and the length of the air path.

For example, in your solo and air, do you use a glass stem? If so, you may be more sensitive to plastic "taste" from the Mighty, which may be at least part of the reason you prefer the solo and air flavor to the Mighty.

And I'll continue to guess (since I'm not a science guy)... Regarding conduction v. true convection, with conduction your material continues to bake even when you are not pulling on your vape. Do over cooked cookies taste as good as the first batch right out of the oven? With convection (and as @btka said), the oven is cool until you start drawing air through it. So, theoretically at least, each pull is like your first batch of cookies.

Now...lets see if others agree... But I hope this helps.

Baron23

Unlike many, I believe that conduction has gotten an undeserved bad rap and that all the "advantages/disadvantages" of convection vice conduction are generalities at best.

Conduction and convection do have different signatures. But each vape also has its own signature and each user has their preferences.

I have convection vapes and like them. I have conduction vapes and like them.

By the by, you will get no better flavor any where than out of a VapCap on the first hit...and its conduction all of the way.

Cheers

Justpassedu

Hi guys , sent my hopper in for warranty as i only got visible vapor at temp 5 , batteries die after about 6 pulls and they would die if i let them sit without use for a few days , also was getting shocked when replacing a battery and touching the body. They did not address anything , said my hopper is fine and that it would be sent back with 1 extra new style battery free of charge which i think is cool of them but none of my main issues were answered. How do you think i should handle this ?

Justpassedu,
Top Bottom