Discontinued The Grasshopper

jabba

I've used the GH since June...and am totally in love with this vape. My sole daily driver.

I've learned: The back end on both of my units generates heat...including my new Ti unit which I had to warranty prior to my first use. I've come to feel, given that both of my units generate heat at the back end, that some back end heat is to be expected. My SS unit recently and suddenly started getting VERY hot at the back end....and in doing so....the chamber heat is no longer sufficient to complete vape material. Warranty time. Not all back end heat is worth a warranty shipment...you'll know it when the back end heat overwhelms the front end heat.

Last evening a gent posted on Reddit about his experience using conductive grease on his GH. I find this very interesting, but not yet sure that I wish to coat the threads of the body (which I inhale from) with a grease product not intended to be inhaled. https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/52ciqe/psa_restore_fading_performance_with_thread/

Despite the GH's reliability issues....I love the damn thing. If it were as reliable as my PAX had been....I'd be even more delighted. The repair(s) are a pain in the butt.....but the device is worth it imo.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Am I the only one being a little irritated/concerned that the battery compartment is not completely isolated? I just cleaned everything and out of curiosity sucked on the battery opening - and could draw air thru it.. I wouldn't have expected that..:o

Any opinions on that? If the battery takes a crap, it's pretty much in your mouth and lungs when inhaling at that time..:uhoh:

Last edited:

btka

Am I the only one being a little irritated/concerned that the battery compartment is not completely isolated? I just cleaned everything and out of curiosity sucked on the battery opening - and could draw air thru it.. I wouldn't have expected that..:o

Any opinions on that? If the battery takes a crap and it's pretty much in your mouth and lungs when inhaling at that time..:uhoh:
this was mentioned earlier i this thread...I am also not quiet happy with this.... but in my opinion as far as the airintake holes are not blocked there should not come air trough the battery compartment I think or am I wrong.... tried to attach a small peace of paper on the battery compartmen openeing (without a battery in gh) and when I sucked on the mp of gh the paper fall off, there was not enough suction to hold it... I think the air travels the shortest and where the resistance is the smallest ... so to speak trough the airintake holes of gh... but as I stated before this also concerns me as far as people also talked about venting batteries... I would not like to inhale the gases of a venting battery... but maybe someone can clarify all this better then I can...and my mind can rest in peace... gh is also my daily driver.... and I am very happy with my purchase although I waited over a year...

ZC

Yeah that's not great. We want the electronics to be isolated from the airpath and in this case that's clearly not happening.

It brings up other questions like if the hopper is lead-free or how often the batteries vent.

Michel

Any opinions on that? If the battery takes a crap and it's pretty much in your mouth and lungs when inhaling at that time..:uhoh:

The back-end is providing an (nearly) airtight seal on the battery opening I would guess. If you screw it on there isn't any air leaking through the body (I hope).
Anyway, this wouldn't protect anybody from inhaling gases from a venting battery...

Edit: I might try to seal the air intake holes with scotch and see if there is still an airflow

Icon13

Serial Vapist
I'm pretty sure the batteries only vent when necessary as a safety mechanism. It is not an ongoing thing. It is just to prevent them from exploding. Go ahead, do something stupid and cover the vents. I worked in the battery industry and have seen the aftermath of exploding e cigarettes due to improper usage. Who wants teeth anyways?

jabba

I only have one GH, a Ti in Bronze. The back end has been, and still is, as cool as cucumber.

My SS had back end replaced....both got hot....now get excessively hot.
My Ti had a misshapen back end which also got hot. After replacement...the new back end certainly gets warm/hot. From my vantage point...heat at the back end (rightly or wrongly...not sure) is quite typical amongst these GH's.

Not sure if you are an anomalie....but you certainly are lucky.

jabba,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My SS had back end replaced....both got hot....now get excessively hot.
My Ti had a misshapen back end which also got hot. After replacement...the new back end certainly gets warm/hot. From my vantage point...heat at the back end (rightly or wrongly...not sure) is quite typical amongst these GH's.

Not sure if you are an anomalie....but you certainly are lucky.
I've had back end of SS get very hot (don't want touch!) very quickly occasionally, and I've felt heat in both Ti and SS that transmits from heat chamber to eventually warm the whole hopper to 'a somewhat uncomfortable' level after multiple back to back hits. So I see a definite difference between these two instances. The SS (above) developed cop lights and went for service. I wrote about occasional back end heat. The service dept. has replaced the body and is sending all back soon.

sundaddy

Despite the GH in my Sig. I ended up cancelling my order some time ago... Just curious, is there anybody that has not had to get a replacement? Or is it pretty much a given that every few weeks or so, you're going to have to send it in?

Michel

I'm pretty sure the batteries only vent when necessary as a safety mechanism. It is not an ongoing thing. It is just to prevent them from exploding. Go ahead, do something stupid and cover the vents. I worked in the battery industry and have seen the aftermath of exploding e cigarettes due to improper usage. Who wants teeth anyways?

This scenario is what I'm referring to. Mostly a battery fails while being charged, but imagine it would vent while being discharged... I would definitely prefer not to draw at the same time, exploding or not...

I only have one GH, a Ti in Bronze. The back end has been, and still is, as cool as cucumber.

My plain Ti has never had a warm or even hot back-end, it stays always on room temperature. But I get cop lights randomly...

jabba

I've had back end of SS get very hot (don't want touch!) very quickly occasionally, and I've felt heat in both Ti and SS that transmits from heat chamber to eventually warm the whole hopper to 'a somewhat uncomfortable' level after multiple back to back hits. So I see a definite difference between these two instances. The SS (above) developed cop lights and went for service. I wrote about occasional back end heat. The service dept. has replaced the body and is sending all back soon.

Ya ya...I follow you. I am specifically referring to a back end that heats up like a coil. 10 second pull...and you can feel the heat generating at the back end. I'm not referring to the natural heat generated at the front....that obviously will warm the tail end a bit just due to proximity. For much of the time...the GH works as advertised...albeit with a hot back end. Most recently....the back end got REALLY hot....and the GH was not performing well at all (could not vape material to a brown color at all). To my point...I very seldom take more than one 10-15 second draw at any point in time....but during that short draw....the back end can get extremely hot. It is inconsistent.....but generally does heat up like an oven coil to one degree or another.

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

My Ti only gets hot from below the middle to the mouth tip. My SS gets blazing hot damn near from stem to stern. Some of that is surely my fault, though, since I rarely click the thing off until the load is spent.

Baron23

Despite the GH in my Sig. I ended up cancelling my order some time ago... Just curious, is there anybody that has not had to get a replacement? Or is it pretty much a given that every few weeks or so, you're going to have to send it in?
Been using it for at least a few months....no RMA and perfect function for me but I think I've just been very lucky so far.

Kermitt

I got my replacement from Vaposhop (thanks!).

My new GH don't get hot at the back end, but warm. Two times my new GH got hot, but my old one got everytime hot. My new GH is cooler, but still warm.
I think I stay with this Hopper I have. As long as my GH remains at the current level, I do not need to replace the GH. Moreover, I should wait for a replacement, until HL making the GH more reliable

when I look in to the chamber and turn the gh on I can see the led through the screen so where is the coil it seems it is conduction from looking

JoeMama

this was mentioned earlier i this thread...I am also not quiet happy with this.... but in my opinion as far as the airintake holes are not blocked there should not come air trough the battery compartment I think or am I wrong.... tried to attach a small peace of paper on the battery compartmen openeing (without a battery in gh) and when I sucked on the mp of gh the paper fall off, there was not enough suction to hold it... I think the air travels the shortest and where the resistance is the smallest ... so to speak trough the airintake holes of gh... but as I stated before this also concerns me as far as people also talked about venting batteries... I would not like to inhale the gases of a venting battery... but maybe someone can clarify all this better then I can...and my mind can rest in peace... gh is also my daily driver.... and I am very happy with my purchase although I waited over a year...

As you surmise, there really is nothing coming through from the battery compartment unless you were get an obstruction of airflow greater than the force necessary to move the air in the battery compartment through it. No air moves into/past the oven and into the mouthpiece. You'd have to make a huge effort to block those air/LED holes to even begin to worry about that. It would be a hard draw; and when that happens, you'd maybe stop and check out what the problem was.

R.I.P my second replacement. I'm getting flashing red/blue lights as soon as I turn the device on. Submited my third warranty request today.

Lovecrush, that sucks and I hope GHL is being gracious with you during this crap.

Sundaddy, Thanks for asking that question... It'd be nice to get an "updated tally". Some time ago, we in the Shipping Roll had begun a survey of the goings-on with GHL and orders-vs-shipments, etc... it kind of helped to know how things were looking... at least we wanted to think so.

I myself have had two RMA's for two different hoppers so far after 45 days of ownership.
In spite of that and the plentiful problems that are going on, I want to believe GHL will eventually come off the curve; I'd like to have your question asked again. And then again.

Is it possible to do a running survey of a sort? Anybuddy?

EDIT: Haha I forgot what I came on to post in the first place:

I bought a second Dark Grey mouthpiece. It's not worth complaining about, but it's just an observation: it's not exactly the same color. I guess it's not so easy to exactly match from lot to lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom