Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Using the same amount as I do with my nano to get the same results but not being tethered is very nice.
I find my Grasshopper's performance is very similar to my nano's. The hopper really is like a portable log, if it was made of wood the comparison would be more obvious. Still, functionally speaking I find the performance of both remarkably similar.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
@Joel W. : Could you take a voltage reading when it is drawing the 5.6 amps? The lowest voltage reading is needed. As that is when the most amps are being drawn.
Then we can multiply the two and get the peak wattage consumed by the unit. Which is essentially what the heater element comsumes as very little power should be used by the circutry in comparison.

So my starting voltage was 3.80v and it consistently drops down to 2.96v (max amps) for a second and then goes to 3.14v until the blue lights come on and then it climbs up.

I can try it again after my pack recharges.

JoeMama

Wow we got a bonafide Think Tank here; very cool!

I'm learning a lot here, boys!

The reason I'm pretty sure is there is no way those batteries can sustain >10A. It's likely that they always PWM for control even from the cold start. This way they can account for changes in voltage & starting temp of the heater.

I gotta agree, if they'd apply PWM at any point, startup would be where efficiency is most needed.

If you care enough , you could buy a battery analyzer and bin them yourself.
That is actually a cool idea... praise be to the One who happens to have access to one of those!

I have a suspicion that the big battery charger/analyser HL got a while back was to sort their stock quality and make sure each GH unit got a higher quality battery. This would ensure every device has one quality cell. Pure speculation, but it would be worth their while.
Shame on me... I actually laughed reading that.
Yeah, it'd be the smart thing for GHL to do.

But actually, if they have arranged a deal with the battery supplier where they can be guaranteed an acceptable min-max range, then just replace batteries that crap out too soon, while at the same time passing the frustration along to us, well, that's genius! GENIUS!!

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
So my starting voltage was 3.80v and it consistently drops down to 2.96v (max amps) for a second and then goes to 3.14v until the blue lights come on and then it climbs up.

I can try it again after my pack recharges.
Very cool man.
So about 17 watts is the max the unit uses from those readings.

Elac,
Reactions: Joel W.

MoltenTiger

Shame on me... I actually laughed reading that.
Yeah, it'd be the smart thing for GHL to do.

But actually, if they have arranged a deal with the battery supplier where they can be guaranteed an acceptable min-max range, then just replace batteries that crap out too soon, while at the same time passing the frustration along to us, well, that's genius! GENIUS!!
At the very least it is an extra step of QA. I mean it can do only a small number of batteries at a time. A powerboard and a bunch of chargers would have been a cheaper solution and probably what was done before, so I imagine they spent extra for some reason. Who knows though, the batteries that came in my hoppers seemed to be the best of the batch, but there's not massive difference so I don't know. Feel free to laugh at my speculation, it is absolutely wishful thinking, given their history. But these guys aren't the idiots a lot paste them up to be.. they are good at screwing kids out of their pocket money, but that's not necessarily dumb despite what they don't tell us.

I'm also sure the battery plant has some testing procedures.
These batteries aren't fantastic, don't expect them to be. It is a battery powered vape, no matter what you do the battery is going to be the shortfall.

I have a 3000mAh TrustFire 18650. I'm pretty sure it's a good idea designing a vape to not accept shitty cells like that. One face gets blown up and its game over for HL.

The trustfire works fine in my LED torch. It certainly isn't 3000mAh though and it wouldn't operate at safe temps with the discharges required to run the GH, I doubt. What kind of batteries do you see in the media about vape explosions? It's almost always cheap, easily accessible cells. Avoiding their use entirely isn't a bad thing at all in my mind. I have put through 5x the money of cannabis than battery worth through my GH. It's not a big deal to me, but I get why it could be. Just be aware of it, and factor it in to your buying decisions. I hear the Arizer Air is a great 18650 vape, milana gets good reviews too. Zion, is that still a thing? If it's an important aspect to the consumer, be a smart one.
Spending even $70 a year, which I think would be massively excessive, is easily accounted for when compared to the thousands of dollars of cannabis this thing can chew through.
I'd love the GH in a desktop form-factor, using mains power, multiple chambers and multiple heaters.
But for the portable side of affairs, I am super content.

Last night I tried to kill a battery, it took 5.5 chambers and I nearly had to give up before I got there. Still feeling it, that's good enough for me.

I don't think it's a perfect solution, but I think it is better than any other option for vaping I've seen. As I've said before, it'll be a long while before I bother attempting an upgrade.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Sorry i didn't post sooner on the cases made by @Kfirrer. Very very well made.

I may eventually buy a second case that holds two batteries. Add a container and i would have two GH's and 6 batteries ready to go in a small package. That is a good jumping off point.

I haven't used the little container yet, it seems it would be tough to pour but better to have it and no need it.

He also included an extra set of plugs for the case. Nice gesture.

I highly recommend either style case. I really couldn't ask for anything more in a custom case.

MoltenTiger

Wow 5.5 chambers? I get 2 maybe 3. LOL.
yeah I was a bit surprised to be honest.
It was just a random battery from the charger, I decided I'd use it til empty, thinking it would be at max an extra 2 chambers (not 4.5).
I would normally swap after 2 or 3 chambers [I don't normally use it to red lights].
It was done in 8 hits, with (napkin maths, 2+1+1+1+2+1 [hits per chamber]) ~20s inhale gives two and a half minutes of toking, so probably a touch over 3 minutes of run-time in about 5/10 mins. The fact it stayed hot probably helped it get a couple more chambers. But it was a decent amount to work through to arrive at that number, I was glad when the lights were flashing. Like I said, nearly had to give up :science:
In a sesh/bong circle this is what the use is like though, take a hit, pass the gear, take a hit pass the gear. It does well in this setting IME

PS; I only very occasionally use that much bud in one sitting, promise ;)

Last edited:

JoeMama

...Feel free to laugh at my speculation, it is absolutely wishful thinking, given their history. But these guys aren't the idiots a lot paste them up to be.. they are good at screwing kids out of their pocket money, but that's not necessarily dumb despite what they don't tell us.

... I'm pretty sure it's a good idea designing a vape to not accept shitty cells like that. One face gets blown up and its game over for HL.

...Spending even $70 a year, which I think would be massively excessive, is easily accounted for when compared to the thousands of dollars of cannabis this thing can chew through.
I'd love the GH in a desktop form-factor, using mains power, multiple chambers and multiple heaters.
But for the portable side of affairs, I am super content.

Last night I tried to kill a battery, it took 5.5 chambers and I nearly had to give up before I got there. Still feeling it, that's good enough for me.

I assure you I wasn't laughing at your speculation; just near it. :)

You've made good points that certainly we all can agree on; a mediocre safe battery is way better than a powerhouse that can blow your nose off. And $7 isn't a bad deal, even at 10 batteries per year.

Wow 5.5 chambers? I get 2 maybe 3. LOL.

yeah I was a bit surprised to be honest.
It was just a random battery from the charger, I decided I'd use it til empty, thinking it would be at max an extra 2 chambers (not 4.5).
I would normally swap after 2 or 3 chambers [I don't normally use it to red lights].
It was done in 8 hits, with (napkin maths, 2+1+1+1+2+1 [hits per chamber]) ~20s inhale gives two and a half minutes of toking, so probably a touch over 3 minutes of run-time in about 5/10 mins. The fact it stayed hot probably helped it get a couple more chambers. But it was a decent amount to work through to arrive at that number, I was glad when the lights were flashing. Like I said, nearly had to give up :science:
In a sesh/bong circle this is what the use is like though, take a hit, pass the gear, take a hit pass the gear. It does well in this setting IME

PS; I only very occasionally use that much bud in one sitting, promise ;)

5.5 chambers! Full chambers!? Is that the case with any of your batteries? It's Friday, so there's no reason you can't bake out to determine this very important detail :haw:

The most I've been able to achieve seems to be 3 chambers with decent depletion of material, using a "full" chamber of about 00.8g fluff - and lately seemingly very nice output. And I know I've said it before but even I keep forgetting, but... unless the herb is utterly dry, it doesn't satisfy my cloud expectations. If I spread a fresh grind out and leave it overnight (or longer), it seems to be the best way to enjoy my hopper.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Here's another source for the little Pinnacle hydrotube if you don't want to deal with the uncertainties of dhgate: (I've bought 2 and they work fine as long as you give them a good blow after filling to remove excess water from the top chamber)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinnacle-Va...960808?hash=item41afa8f8e8:g:3nIAAOSwBLlVU8cp
I did acquire one of these, thanks for the turn-on.
I have zero experience with other hydratubes, but on the whole I'm pleased with this piece. It tilts like the leaning tower when standing on a table, but how can I complain when it's come from halfway 'round the world to my door for a bit over twenty bucks?
And since both Hoppers are currently down, we find it pleasant to use this with Mighty. Mighty stays on a stand with whip attached to its mouthpiece. @Ratchett 's mp adapter is on the other end of whip, fits snugly into the 18mm inlet of the H-tube. Less bulky to handle than direct mount to Mighty. I know there are lots of ways to set things up, but for wife convenience is a big factor. She didn't enjoy the Tube at all when mounted direct to Mighty, but smiled after a hit from the whip attached Tube.

vapviking,
Reactions: moondog

kimura

5.5 chambers.... I would like to see a video of this. not saying you didn't do it, just that I don't think we're doing the same thing. I'm filling 1/2 to 3/4 chamber with no tamp. each draw is slow to medium speed for about 10 seconds at heat level 5 through a j-hook. 3-4 of these finishes the load. 2 loads is achievable sometimes, but just as often the second load is cut short with flashing red lights. so I'm getting like 7-10 draws per battery.

fwiw, my new back end is now getting warm/hot as the battery is drained, just like the first one did. it's still producing major clouds. I just keep running out of batt

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Chamber/bowl size is hard to use as a measure, because there's so much variation in how much can be packed. Counting the number of 8-10 second draws on a single battery might be more meaningful.

duff

Well worn
First post for this lurker. I've gotten a ton of good info from you guys...so thanks.

Primary vape is a Crafty, which I love and have used just about every major portable released over the last few years except for the FF2.

Broke down and got a titanium one off of ebay for $249.
Lightning fast shipping. Seller was tremendous.
Have been Hopping multiple times a day for about 2-3 weeks. Haven't had an issue although the magnetic charger is finicky with how tight the battery cover is screwed on. It seems to want it a bit loose before it will charge.

Initial thoughts:
Smaller than I had imagined.
Unbelievable heat up speed. blows the doors off of the Crafty.
Packing the bowl is not much fun. I use a doob tube and gently tap it into the chamber. Holds very little.
One battery gets me through the weekday, as long as it's just me. Probably around 4 bowls.
Material is extracted very evenly.
Incredible stealth. Very nice to effortlessly slide it into my pocket.
Typically get about 4-5 real hits.

Hit technique: Click, blue light, long slow draw. When I'm about halfway through the draw, I click it again to turn it off. Wait about 30 seconds and repeat.

Temp 3.5 seems to be my sweet spot.

Hit 1 Delicious. No to very little vape.
Hit 2 Pretty tasty and a nice cloud.
Hit 3 Not so tasty, but a big cloud.
Hit 4 Pretty bad taste-wise and hot, but a good cloud. Glad I'm done for a bit.

The Hopper has been my daily driver since I've gotten it.

Pros:
Stealth, stealth, stealth
Speed-I can get the job complete in under 2 minutes
Nice construction and materials
Lifetime warranty

Cons:
Does get a bit hot
Taste isn't great after 2nd hit
It's harsh after 2nd hit
A bit hard to pack since it's so small
Hate to say it, but I think it looks a little hokey

Weekends are for my Crafty.
Weekdays (which there are more of :)) I'm hopping.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Welcome to posting on FC @duff ! Thanks for your review. Do you use the silicon mouthpiece? Also, could you describe more what you mean by hokey-looking? Is that because it's trying to look like a writing pen?

duff

Well worn
I've never used the silicone tip.

Yeah, the pen thing is a great form factor but sort of silly.

The lights are too prominent and should be over the backend so your hand covers them while in use.

The clicker is huge and sort of hard to press.

duff

Well worn
I'd rather it wasn't trying to look like something else.
It's just a personal preference.

I think it's primarily the combination of the clicker and the pocket thing.

Last edited:

JoeMama

Man...I'm getting irritated with the warranty process. It's taking forever. That itself I could deal with, but they've also told me things that ended up being incorrect several times now. August 15th I submitted the warranty request. On the 23rd in response to a question about how long to expect the replacement body to ship I was told it would most likely be shipped out the next day, which it wasn't. Waited a few weeks (or however long, not up to math now) then this Tuesday I emailed asking if there was any way to know when I'd see the part shipping, and was told it was packed up and would ship the next day. Which it didn't. It's really frustrating. I hate waiting, but if they would have told me another 2 weeks, or 3 weeks, or whatever I'd be way happier than being told to expect it to be on it's way to me tomorrow and never have it go out.

I don't mind paying premium for a custom battery but then I want them up to spec. If they are 750mah then thats what it should be or pretty damn close. If I remember correctly in mooch's test he tested eight batteries and not one had 750mah, I think the closest was around 610mah and all eight varying and as low as 500mah. Also voltage drop was varied. Like he said they are probably not binning the batteries and we are getting the whole mixed bag.

This means that other specs of the battery could be off such as how much Amps it can handle. Back quite a few years ago with eFest batteries they were tested and found the discharge rate was way off. Some eFest 18650 batteries with specs 20A were found in the 10-15A range. For sub-ohm vapers that used mechanical mods this was a huge problem and could easily cause venting. Very dangerous.

Now me being worried about these batteries are not about them blowing up but the amount of a batteries I will need to buy every year. I'll end up spending more on batteries than the GH itself. Because if the capacity of the battery is much lower then the spec you will then be charging more often and running the the life cycle faster therefore constantly buying more batteries.

Also if the other specs other than the capacity are off then you will have batteries with poor performance and will notice it using the device. We have already had members with DOA batteries or very underperforming batteries. Add this to the unreliable GH itself and it doesn't look good.

pardon the rant...

I've always felt that the decision to go with a proprietary battery was totally naive, misguided, and possibly stupid. they are beholden to their supplier at this point, probably at their mercy entirely due to the onslaught of warranty claims, which means GHL probably don't have the cash required to put down a deposit with a new supplier should they decide that they have shipped out enough bad cells and want to cut their losses. this trickles down to us of course, and now we are left with the choice of either sucking it up and continuing the cycle of paying $7 a pop to roll the dice on a new cell, or giving up on the GH. totally disagree with everyone saying $7 is an acceptable price for such a shoddy and unreliable cell. I don't care if it's unique and proprietary, that's the wrong price for cells of this quality. even my "good" cells are not good, and cannot reliably get through more than one load. 2 small loads MAX. not sure if it matters, but the variance in length between these cells is easily measured with cheap calipers. I think the device is potentially great, but the battery situation is pathetic, a major Achilles heel, and is starting to ruin the fun for me. it's a niche device to me right now

anyway, I would happily pay for another solution. maybe something like @Joel W. 's adapter, only with a single 18650 cell encased in the adapter itself. I don't care if it adds 3" to the overall length. I don't give 2 shits how "cool" a device is if I can't use it

fwiw, my new back end is now getting warm/hot as the battery is drained, just like the first one did. it's still producing major clouds. I just keep running out of batt

If only GHL would read these posts. There's nothing but great input for them to learn about how to make their product be the best it can be; and this battery performance variation issue (their lack of spec control) just seems to be at such odds with their "precision engineering" piece of hardware.

I'm tempted sometimes to send excerpts of these posts to them out of the blue. Maybe then they'd show up here and participate intelligently with us, or at the very least start lurking to learn valuable feedback.

Nuf said I guess.

kimura

I must admit I think it's silly to make design compromises to the detriment of the overall user experience (tiny little batteries, etc.), just to make it arbitrarily look like something it isn't. you can maintain discretion and small size, even make it look cool, but why must it imitate a pen? why does the entire design seem to hinge on that one requirement? I guess I can't relate anymore to requiring that level of "stealth." it's really like something that Q might have supplied James Bond with for a deep cover vaping mission

kimura,
Reactions: Baron23

kimura

relax, I never said it looked silly. but it would be silly if GHL's insistence on the pen look resulted in an unreliable device. the jury is still out on that IMO

kimura,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
5.5 chambers.... I would like to see a video of this.

Me too. As long as in between each bowl, there was some sort of dexterity/sobriety test involved. :lol:

The lights are too prominent and should be over the backend so your hand covers them while in use.

Aren't we seeing the lights through the air intakes? If the holes were at the backend, the airpath would be traveling through the battery compartment.

If only GHL would read these posts.

I thought in the last update they alluded to reading the forums and social media and that's why we are now able to buy separate mouthpiece assemblies and why there's a new silicone mouthpiece cover on the way.

it's really like something that Q might have supplied James Bond with for a deep cover vaping mission

"OK, 007, I believe that's everything you'll need for this mission. Oh, and one more thing 007..."

"Yes, Q?"

"This time, do please try to remember which pen is the HERBAL vaporizer and which pen is the high-powered laser capable of vaporizing a tank."

Top Bottom